Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference

12 Jan 2012

See also: IRC log




<trackbot> Date: 12 January 2012

<rreck> hello david

I can scribe George

<rreck> whew

<LuisBemudez> Zakim +1.267.481.aaaa

<scribe> Scribe: bhyland

George, the minutes from last week don't look linked?

http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2011-01-05 404's

<rreck> we found them after the meeting

<rreck> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-01-05

<gatemezi> hi everyone!

<HadleyBeeman> Hi!

<rreck> can you provide a link?

<George> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/F2F2#Agenda

@george - did you want to review/approve minutes from last week & tracker actions?

<rreck> can you provide a link to the minutes?

<sandro> rreck, http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-01-05 (but they need more cleanup)

<rreck> ok, that is the link i posted

F2F2 Agenda

<George> bhyland1: 30 mins likely all that's required for CD

<sandro> mhausenblas

F2F Planning

<mhausenblas> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Best_Practices_Discussion_Summary

<mhausenblas> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gld/raw-file/bcb72f87b5cc/bp/index.html

<George> mhausenblas: sync wiki and editors draft

<sandro> +1 best to create slides, to help make sure everyone can get up to speed

<sandro> (don't assume everyone is up on every topic. :-)

Discussed: Produce slides to highlight deliverables & plan to speak to slides for not more than 10 minutes.

<HadleyBeeman> +1 to slides… also makes it easier to catch up if you miss part of the discussion

Please link PDF version of slides to the F2F page

<sandro> (please don't assume people can use powerpoint.)

People are also welcome to point to URL on slidy or slideshare.

<HadleyBeeman> Yep, pointers on the F2F page are good.

<sandro> You can link to an attachment in the WG email archives...

<mhausenblas> Michael: slideshare or PDF as attachment on http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/F2F2 would be good

<rreck> hmm

RE: Timeframes, is 45 min to cover each topic OK?

<mhausenblas> Michael: Next week I'm at risk for the telecon, so I'll likely have my stuff (slides + HG sync) ready by 2012-01-23 CoB

<rreck> it is a start

<rreck> +1 intial time requirements

<BartvanLeeuwen> +1 for a extra break

<rreck> i dont see a lunch break

<HadleyBeeman> Given the amount of time we're covering, three breaks is better, I think.

Let's come back to food & supply thereof (sponsorship)

<DanG> Bernadette - Do you want to bring food into BLS for breakfast and breaks?

<rreck> +provide advice. it think this topic (URI construction) is critical

<rreck> i would like to see documentation of examples, rather that the usual geek only abstract discussion

<BartvanLeeuwen> +q

Relative importance of URI construction and persistence strategy for linked data sets

<rreck> +q

@Dan - let's come back to the discussion of providing food. We have to determine what is provided by hosts versus requires sponsorships for food.

From our charter re: URI Construction:

URI Construction. The group will specify how to create good URIs for use in government linked data. Inputs include http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/, http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/media/308995/public_sector_uri.pdf, and http://data.gov.uk/resources/uris. Guidance will be produced not only for minting URIs for governmental entities, such as schools or agencies, but also for vocabularies, concepts, and datasets.

Does anyone read persistence into this deliverable?>

rreck: Would like to make W3C published documentation emphasize concrete guidance. Much of the specs published are hard to read.

<mhausenblas> [[ This document is aimed at assisting government agencies and their contractors, vendors as well as researchers, to publish high quality, consistent data sets using W3C standards to increase interoperability. ]]

<Mike_Pendleton> +1 rreck

@rreck - much of the W3C specs are for implementors of products and protocols, I think.

<rreck> +1 audience


<Mike_Pendleton> I can help provide that kind of 'eye'

<George> mhausenblas: asks for gld 'non-techies' to apply a critical eye and lookout for geek talk wrt deliverable highlight

<HadleyBeeman> Happy to have a look.

<HadleyBeeman> (with a non-techie hat on)

<rreck> i think we need to schedule reviewers who are not technical to comment

RE: W3C policy on re: recommendations & specs.

<rreck> in the overall schedule not the f2f

Sandro: There is no specific policy beyond WG members coming up with the most appropriate language & recommendations.

<Cory> Have to go, bye!

<rreck> bye cory

<rreck> how do we provide that information to you?

DanG: US attendees must register in ADVANCE of their attendance.
... Is use of Internet email important to be people? The port for Internet email may be blocked.
... I cannot guarantee that we can open all ports for everybody.

Current list of attendees to US location (for security access)


<rreck> i just did

<Zakim> cygri, you wanted to say we need port 6665

People MUST write "confirmed" next to their name for US physical attendance.

<sandro> I need ports: 22 6665 6667 80 443

Logistics for US site

<Mike_Pendleton> @ Dan - I'm confirmed on the wiki now

Port 6665 for IRC cannot be opened per DanG.

If you tunnel into your office, possibly it will work.

DanG suggested IRC thru the W3C web site.

Port 22 is needed for ssh, very important.

RE: video access, we need wired ethernet.

DanG: Having a wired ethernet would be difficult ...

<cygri> DanG, skype should work if that port works on the ethernet machine

DanG: BLS has a machine set up for skype, he will try to get it for the F2F.

<rreck> i would guess it is unlikely to have ssh ports open

<rreck> i bet teamviewer would work

<George> +1 bhyland1 to DanG :)

Summary: DanG will check on port 22 access and we the potential for a skype machine on a wired connection.

<Mike_Pendleton> You are making Dan feel better Michael :)

DERI has a deri guest account that people can use with proper auth. Main ports needed will be opened. Will try to get one machine on wired ethernet to facilitate skype.

RE: Food / beverages

There is a cafeteria that can cater food but we have to pay for it.

<rreck> arent we across the street from Union Station?

<rreck> me too

Any parties/companies willing to fund tea breaks and luncheon?

DERI is covered.

<rreck> i wont be allowed to bring guinness

<Yigal> The fee is a decent idea!

Sandro suggested we charge a small fee like $40 to cover food & beverage, that happens sometimes.

<sandro> (or... that's a possibility, if no one is sponsoring, and we dont want to talk the time to walk to Union Station during the breaks)

<rreck> i cant make it that early. maybe on the second day

<rreck> +1 minutes

<scribe> ACTION: Sandro agree to clean up unknown references for Mike Pendleton's name in last week's minutes, see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-01-05 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/12-gld-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-28 - Agree to clean up unknown references for Mike Pendleton's name in last week's minutes, see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-01-05 [on Sandro Hawke - due 2012-01-19].

<Mike_Pendleton> @ Dan G - can you provide directions on how to get to the venue in BLS

<rreck> i am meeting with Anne tomorrow morning at 10

regrets from mhausenblas for next week.

<rreck> bhyland: thanks for scribing

thanks all!

<gatemezi> Thanks!!

<BartvanLeeuwen> thanks bye

<BenediktKaempgen> bye, thanks

<rreck> bubye

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Sandro agree to clean up unknown references for Mike Pendleton's name in last week's minutes, see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-01-05 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/12-gld-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/01/12 16:01:32 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/We have/BLS has/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: bhyland1
Found Scribe: bhyland

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: BartvanLeeuwen BenediktKaempgen Biplav Cory DanG Discussed George George_Thomas HadleyBeeman IPcaller LuisBemudez MacTed Michael MikePendleton Mike_Pendleton P48 Sandro Summary Yigal aaaa aabb aadd aaee bhyland bhyland1 cygri davidwood fadmaa gatemezi gld https joined mhausenblas raphael rreck trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 12 Jan 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/01/12-gld-minutes.html
People with action items: agree sandro

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]