Timed Text Task Force
TTML and WebVTT are two specifications being developed within the W3C for the representation of timed text (captions, subtitles, commentary, karaoke...).
This Task Force (TF) of the Web & TV Interest Group (IG) was created at the request of the IG membership at TPAC 2012 to fulfill the objectives below.
Develop recommendations to facilitate the use of TTML and WebVTT content on the Web, including interoperability with other timed text formats.
Engaging with external groups (#External Organizations) as needed,
- Document scope and variations of TTML and WebVTT, including external specifications and efforts based on TTML and WebVTT (see Timed Text Efforts)
- Gather Web-based timed text use cases from the TV and Media industry (see Timed Text Use Cases)
- Study interoperability between TTML and WebVTT
- Develop requirements and recommendations in the form of a report
- Suggest improvements to W3C specifications in the form of bug reports
Please add your name to the list below if you wish to participate in the TF.
- Pierre Lemieux (supported by MovieLabs)
- Mark Vickers (Comcast)
- Giuseppe Pascale (Opera)
- Michael Dolan (Liaison to SMPTE & DECE)
- John Kemp (ESPN)
- Bob Lund (CableLabs)
- Yosuke Funahashi (Tomo-Digi)
- Kaz Ashimura (W3C)
- Raphael Troncy (EURECOM)
- Glenn Adams (Cox Communications)
Initial work has begun. Please
- indicate your interest by adding your name to the list of participants above
- share background information and external specifications and efforts using WebVTT and TTML at Timed Text Efforts
- submit use cases at Timed Text Use Cases
We look forward to your participation.
Mailing Lists, Wiki and Teleconferences
This TF expects to conduct business primarily through this wiki and the IG reflector at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the [tt] subject line tag when posting to the IG reflector.
- SMPTE (http://www.smpte.org)
- EBU (http://www3.ebu.ch/cms/en/home)
- DECE (http://uvvu.com/uv-for-business.php)
- Web&TV Interest Group (http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/)