Difference between revisions of "Main Page"

From Web and TV IG
Jump to: navigation, search
(News)
Line 7: Line 7:
  
 
[[/TPAC 2012 | TPAC 2012]] [http://www.w3.org/mid/op.wnhtl1y16ugkrk@giuseppep-x220 Minutes and Presentations]
 
[[/TPAC 2012 | TPAC 2012]] [http://www.w3.org/mid/op.wnhtl1y16ugkrk@giuseppep-x220 Minutes and Presentations]
 +
 +
* 29 October 2012: The IG held its F2F meeting at TPAC 2012 in Lyon,
 +
  and discussed what should be done for the next Charter period.  As
 +
  the result, the group agreed to launch Task Forces for Testing,
 +
  Recording/Downloading Media, Terminal APIs, Content
 +
  Metadata/Synchronization, Stereoscopic 3D and TTML/WebVTT
 +
  coexistence.  See [[Task Forces]] below for the details on
 +
  the Task Forces.
  
 
== Task Forces ==
 
== Task Forces ==

Revision as of 15:40, 7 January 2013

Web and TV Interest Group

This is the Wiki for the W3C Web and TV Interest Group (Web&TV IG), used to organize work in the IG. Higher-level information about the Web&TV IG is available on the main home page of the group. The Interest Group reviews existing work and identifies requirements and potential solutions for the Web and TV. The development of Web standards, when required, takes place in other working groups.

News

Charter (Draft)

TPAC 2012 Minutes and Presentations

  • 29 October 2012: The IG held its F2F meeting at TPAC 2012 in Lyon,
 and discussed what should be done for the next Charter period.  As
 the result, the group agreed to launch Task Forces for Testing,
 Recording/Downloading Media, Terminal APIs, Content
 Metadata/Synchronization, Stereoscopic 3D and TTML/WebVTT
 coexistence.  See Task Forces below for the details on
 the Task Forces.

Task Forces

NOTE: the tag indicated near the Task Force name MUST be used when sending email to the IG list for topics related to that TF.

Active

  • Testing TF [testing]
    • Identify Requirements for testing from a “Web and TV” perspective
    • act as a bridge between ongoing activities in W3C and other organizations interested in testing W3C specifications
  • Terminal Capabilities [terminal]
    • Investigate requirements for discover and control of device capabilities (e.g. tuner control)
  • Stereoscopic 3D Web [3dweb]
    • Investigate impact of 3D Video/Graphics on HTML and other web standards

(note: see notes of a breakout session on this topic during TPAC here http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2012/3dweb)

  • Timed Text [tt]
    • Develop recommendations to facilitate the use of TTML and WebVTT content on the Web, including interoperability with other timed text formats.

Closed or Dormant

  • (Closed) Media Pipeline TF [mptf] — discuss requirements placed on the HTML5 video, audio and media interface by media formats that will be used for Web and TV
  • (On hold) Web Media Profile TF [profile] — discuss a profile to be used in TV deployments.
  • (Closed) Home Network TF[hntf] identify gaps to enable discovery and control of devices and services in the local area IP network.

Template for Use Cases

Please use this template when proposing use cases that should be discussed by the IG.

Report your use cases in Bugzilla under the appropriate Product

https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/describecomponents.cgi?product=Web%20%26%20TV

Description: 
high level description/overview of the use case 
If needed, diagrams, pictures or code snippets can be used to better describe the use case.

Need/justification: 
Explanation of benefit to ecosystem and why is relevant for this group.

Category
How would you categorize this issue?:
1. gap in existing specifications (=> IG to draft a proposal for an existing WG)
2. require new specification/WG (=> IG to draft a proposal for W3C Director)
3. can be addressed as part of a guidelines document to be produced by the IG (=> proponent to draft some text for such document)

Dependencies: 
other use cases, proposals or ongoing standardization activities which this use case is dependent on or related to.
If you are aware of any existing work (also in other organizations) covering a similar use case, you can mention it here.

PROPOSAL:
If the use case fall into category #3 above, write here your proposal

Work in Progress

Next Steps

The following table summarize next steps for IG activity as discussed during the last F2F and described in the IG report. For each topic, a modearator is identified that is responsible to coordinate the activity in that area.

Topic Moderator Comments
Home Networking/ Multi screen / Activities moved to the DAP group
Adaptive Streaming / Activities moved HTML WG / Media TF
Content/service Protection / Activities moved HTML WG / Media TF
Social TV Pablo Cesar ? No use cases with impact on technologies found so far
Disaster prevention and response Yosuke Improving the draft charter step by step and Yosuke has got started preliminary discussion with some stakeholders.
Metadata  ? More discussion needed on the public mailing list. Maybe write a white paper on existing specs in this area?
Accessibility  ? Already handled by existing WGs. Is there any other aspects of this topic that needs to be discussed?
Parental Control  ? Partially addressed by MPTF (for in-band content). Maybe need a broader discussion though, even outside the IG.
Profiling  ? Need to restart Media Profile discussion
Testing - W3C has started a dedicated group to deal with testing. More info on www.w3.org/testing/
API to access low level functionalities on TV devices - More discussion needed
Best Practices for content Developers note: already done for mobile.

F2F Meetings


Deliverables

Web and TV Interest Group Report

The Web and TV Interest Group Report categorizes topics of interest for the Web and TV in terms of standardization needs. The group is to publish a first snapshot of the report soon. Results of work items discussed in task forces will be integrated in the final report of the Interest Group.

Workshop Reports

F2F Meeting reports


Teleconferences / Meetings

No IG-wide teleconferences or meetings are scheduled at this point, but note task forces may organize regular calls and F2F meetings as needed. Please check task forces pages for more information.

The Interest Group uses the #webtv IRC channel on irc.w3.org, port 6665 to take minutes and record issues, actions and resolutions during meetings.


Useful Resources

IG Specific Processes

  • TF handling rule to propose the creation of a task force
  • TF charter template to precise the scope of a potential new task force
  • Use Case template to be used as base for drafting a use case input document. Note that TFs may have their own further refined template (check TF page)

Mailing-lists

Tracker

  • Tracker is used to track issues and actions within the group.


Other Useful W3C Resources