ORG CR transition
From Government Linked Data (GLD) Working Group Wiki
Transition to CR
This page is to organize the documentation and evidence necessary to transition a document to Candidate Recommendation. The page's content will be used for the transition request and to inform the transition meeting for that document.
This is a working page for the Government Linked Data working group. It may be subject to change/revision at any time.
The Organization Ontology
This document describes a core ontology for organizational structures, aimed at supporting linked data publishing of organizational information across a number of domains. It is designed to allow domain-specific extensions to add classification of organizations and roles, as well as extensions to support neighbouring information such as organizational activities.
Status section and important changes to the document
The changes made are documented at https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gld/raw-file/default/org/index.html#change-history and listed below for convenience.
- Added explicit declarations that org:member and org:organization are functional properties. This is a clarification rather than an intended change of semantics.
- Removed assertion that org:Post is a sub class of org:Organization, adding an informative note that ORG applications are still free to declare entities as being instances of both classes.
- Added property chain axiom for prov:wasDerivedFrom.
- Removed the range constraint on org:siteAddress to allow other encodings than VCard to be used.
- Added a statement that org:Organization is equivalent to the foaf:Organization class. This statement was present in the ontology itself at the time of last call but not sufficiently clear in this document.
- Removed informative comment that the org:reportsTo graph is acyclic, this is not necessarily the case.
The WG examined these changes and determined that they are not substantive (mostly clarifications), do not invalidate any implementations that might have been created in accordance with the Last Call version and so do not warrant another Last Call period. [resolution]
Current published version: http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-vocab-org-20121023/
Proposed CR version: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gld/raw-file/default/org/static-cr.html
Diff with LC version: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gld/raw-file/default/org/static-diff.html
The CR exit criteria are described here: ORG CR Exit Criteria
The process for submitting an implementation report is described here: How to submit an ORG Implementation Report
A list of known implementations at present is maintained at: ORG Implementations
Evidence that dependencies with other groups met (or not)
The ORG ontology references the PROV-O ontology (introduces a subclass of prov:Activity, recommends use of four associated properties). The PROV working group provided a Last Call review of ORG  and accepted  our disposition of those comments.
Estimated publication date
Record of the Working Group's decision to request the Transition
Evidence that the document satisfies group's requirements
The Working Group's charter calls for development of a standardized vocabulary for organizational structures:
- Organizational Structures. Such as the Epimorphics organization ontology (see also its requirements).
The document is based directly on that prior publication and so directly addresses that requirement.
Evidence that the document has received wide review
The document is closely based on one previously released in 2010 which received wide review on the W3C egov mailing list .
The Last Call document received feedback from 4 commenters external to the WG, see ORG LC comments.
The number of known implementations that already exist suggest that is has received broader review and adoption than just those four commenters.
Evidence that issues have been formally addressed
Summary and detailed links on disposition of issues are given on ORG LC comments.
The Working Group's Patent Disclosure page is: http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/47663/status