W3C Government Linked Data Working Group, Second F2F, January 25-26, 2012
Locations: Galway Ireland and Washington DC USA
- 1 When
- 2 What
- 3 Where
- 4 Details
- 5 Agenda
- 6 Participants
January Wed & Thur 25-26, 2012: GLD-WG F2F
January Fri 27, 2012: If you're interested in meeting with other DERI members or learn more about DERI's projects and activities outside of the F2F, please get in touch with Michael. Possible excursion after the F2F Friday, January 27th.
The second F2F of the W3C Government Linked Data (GLD) Working Group. The meeting is open to the official participants and specifically invited guests, only.
For information of the previous F2F meeting in July 2011, see F2F1.
Due to travel restrictions by government authorities, we have agreed to have two locations, one in Europe and one in the USA. A poll was taken in October 2011 results here.
European Location – Galway, Ireland
Venue: DERI, IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan, Galway, Ireland. Point of Contact: Michael Hausenblas
Travelling to Galway via Dublin Airport
- GoBus operates an hourly direct bus service between Dublin Airport and Galway city centre. The journey takes ~2.5h. There is WiFi on the bus.
- An alternative is CityLink.
Shannon, Knock and Galway Airport
- Shannon Airport and Knock Airport are located ~1.5h from Galway, but poorly served by public transport. Car rental is available.
- Galway Airport does not operate any useful services at this time.
Getting around in Galway
- DERI is located in the IDA business park in Dangan; it's the first building on the left.
- (Note that DERI is not located in the main NUIG campus.)
- A taxi from the city centre to the Dangan area is ~8€. Taxis are available outside the coach station or at a taxi rank in Eyre Square (see map).
- The Newcastle stop of the 4W bus line is close to DERI. Buses leave every 30-60min from Eyre Square.
- Walking distance from the city centre to Dangan is 30-40min and there's a chance of rain.
Accommodation near DERI
- Westwood House Hotel: ~€85 (NUIG rate)
- Corrib Haven B&B: ~€55
USA Location - Washington, DC
Venue: US Bureau of Labor Statistics 2 Massachusetts Ave, NE Washington, DC 20212 USA located across from Union Station Point of Contact: Dan Gillman
Conference Room phone number: +1.202.691.5242
Security: We'll need all names in advance for building security. Please indicate confirmed next to your name.
- Present photo ID, and guards will have your name on a list.
- Go thru security (including package screening)
- Walk straight past escalator (west), thru double doors, turn left (south) to elevators
- Take elevator down one floor to G
- On floor G, exit north, and make 1st left, then 1st right into conference center
- Go up ramp, thru rotunda, into open foyer, turn left
- Room 7 is on back wall and a pantry for our use is on the left.
- Restrooms are alongside the pantry.
Metro access: Red Line, Union Station, North entrance Cross 1st NE and enter building at visitor entrance door
Parking: Union Station parking lot is easiest.
Accommodation near US Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Phoenix Park Hotel, 520 North Capitol St NW, Washington DC 20001, tel. +1-202-638-6900. Rates on booking.com is $234/night plus tax. You may be able to get the US Gov't rate if call & ask.
Connecting after the 1st day
I've put together a page with info on a possible monument walk and dinner plans. See Walk & Dinner signup
- Wireless Internet required for both sites
- Conference telephone, digital projector, projection screen
- Ability to use Skype for video & audio (back up to conference audio bridge)
Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 4531 ("GLD1") Note: that is GLD number "1".
IRC: We strongly recommend being on IRC: irc.w3.org, port 6665, channel #gld. You can use our web interface: http://irc.w3.org, or your own IRC client.
- Start time each day 07:00AM US ET / 12noon Galway
- End time of 15:00 US ET / 20:00 Galway time
- Early dinner for DC crowd, late dinner for the Galway group.
|7:00 AM||Noon||Introduction and welcome. Agenda review.|
|7:30 AM||12:30 PM||Discuss Community Directory & use cases.|
|8:15 AM||1:15 PM||Vocabulary Selection discussion.|
|9:00 AM||2:00 PM||Legacy Data discussion.|
|10:15 AM||3:15 PM||Tea break|
|11:00 AM||4:00 PM||URI Construction discussion|
|11:45||3:45 PM||Lunch break|
|1:00 PM||6:00 PM||Discussion on Best Practices for Publishing Government Linked Data (FPWD)|
|2:15 PM||7:15 PM||Poll/vote on LD Cookbook approach/proposals|
|2:45 PM||7:45 PM||Closing comments. Finalize agenda changes for Thursday.|
|3:00 PM||8:00 PM||Adjourn. Informal discussion, Dinner (not sponsored)|
|7:00 AM||12:00 PM||Convene. Agenda review|
|7:15 AM||12:15 PM||Discussion on Standard Vocabularies for use by government
|8:15 AM||1:15 PM||Procurement use cases.|
|9:15 AM||2:15 PM||Stability|
|10:15 AM||3:15 PM||Tea break|
|11:15 AM||4:45 PM||Review of all outstanding Documents that the WG is updating|
|2:45 PM||7:45 PM||Closing comments|
|3:00 PM||8:00 PM||Adjourn. Informal discussion. Possible dinner (not sponsored).|
Who may attend: Per W3C process, this meeting is open to official participants of the GLD Working Group and other individuals specifically invited as guests of the chairs. If you expect to join the group and have not received an invitation, please contact the chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org
Links are to self-introductions on this wiki. Links in Red mean no self-introduction has been made yet; in this case, please create a brief page about yourself by clicking on your name, filling in some text, and clicking "save page". Everyone with a W3C User Account can edit pages on this wiki.
Expected in person – Galway, Ireland
- Michael Hausenblas, DERI (confirmed)
- Richard Cyganiak, DERI (confirmed)
- Ghislain Atemezing, EURECOM (confirmed)
- Benedikt Kaempgen, Forschungszentrum Informatik (FZI) (confirmed)
- Bart van Leeuwen, IE
- Phil Archer, W3C (confirmed)
- Daniel Vila, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (confirmed)
- Hadley Beeman, LinkedGov
- Boris Villazón-Terrazas, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (confirmed)
- Fadi Maali, DERI (confirmed)
- Spyros Kotoulas for Biplav Srivastava/IBM
- Sarven Capadisli, DERI (confirmed)
Expected in person – Washington, DC
- Bernadette Hyland, 3 Round Stones, Inc. (confirmed)
- George Thomas, US Health & Human Services (confirmed)
- Dan Gillman, US Bureau of Labor Statistics (confirmed)
- Chris Musialek, US General Services Administration
- Cory Casanave, Object Management Group (confirmed) - email and exchange access
- Yigal Arens, ISI (confirmed)
- Tina Gheen, US Library of Congress (confirmed)
- Ronald P. Reck, RReckTek (confirmed)
- Anne L. Washington, George Mason University (confirmed!)
- Michael Pendleton, US Environmental Protection Agency (confirmed)
- Sandro Hawke, W3C/MIT (confirmed)
- Zachary Whitley, Orbis Technologies
- Gerald Steeman, NASA (Confirmed remote)
- Biplav Srivastava, IBM Research (Confirmed remote)
- John Erickson, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Remote attendance: 8-2p Weds, Thurs)
- Lyle Burgoon, US Environmental Protection Agency
- Dave Reynolds, Invited Expert (Epimorphics Ltd)
- Christophe Gueret, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (confirmed :( )
- Martin Kaltenböck, Semantic Web Company (hopefully can participate remotely on 25th)
- Raphael Troncy, EURECOM (confirmed, EU review meeting the same 2 days)
- John Goodwin, Ordnance Survey (might be able to dip into various sessions remotely)