From Government Linked Data (GLD) Working Group Wiki
Revision as of 15:09, 27 October 2011 by Commonscribe
Please justify/explain all edits to this page, in your "edit summary" text.
13:51:39 <RRSAgent> RRSAgent has joined #gld 13:51:39 <RRSAgent> logging to http://www.w3.org/2011/10/27-gld-irc 13:52:17 <Zakim> T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM has now started 13:52:24 <Zakim> +Gerald_ 13:52:34 <tinagheen> tinagheen has joined #gld 13:53:13 <GeraldSteeman> Meeting: GLD-WG telecon 27 October 2011 13:53:27 <Zakim> +TinaGheen 13:53:41 <GeraldSteeman> Chair: Bernadette Hyland 13:54:05 <GeraldSteeman> Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.10.27 13:54:19 <Zakim> +david 13:54:45 <GeraldSteeman> Scribe: Gerald Steeman 13:55:25 <GeraldSteeman> ScribeNick: GeraldSteeman 13:56:43 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call? 13:56:43 <Zakim> On the phone I see Gerald_, TinaGheen, david 13:56:54 <martin> martin has joined #gld 13:57:03 <bhyland> zakim, david is me 13:57:03 <Zakim> +bhyland; got it 13:58:04 <GeraldSteeman> Zakim, who is here 13:58:04 <Zakim> GeraldSteeman, you need to end that query with '?' 13:58:18 <GeraldSteeman> Zakim, who is here? 13:58:18 <Zakim> On the phone I see Gerald_, TinaGheen, bhyland 13:58:19 <Zakim> On IRC I see martin, tinagheen, RRSAgent, GeraldSteeman, MacTed, BartvanLeeuwen, bhyland, danbri, cgueret_work, Zakim, trackbot, sandro 13:58:22 <Zakim> +??P9 13:58:26 <BenediktKaempgen> BenediktKaempgen has joined #gld 13:58:53 <BartvanLeeuwen> zakim ??p9 is me 13:59:08 <boris> boris has joined #gld 13:59:15 <BartvanLeeuwen> Zakim, ??p9 is me 13:59:15 <Zakim> +BartvanLeeuwen; got it 13:59:25 <BartvanLeeuwen> ah now it works 13:59:29 <Cory-c> Cory-c has joined #gld 13:59:37 <PhilA2> PhilA2 has joined #gld 13:59:38 <boris> zakim, code? 13:59:38 <Zakim> the conference code is 45394 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 sip:firstname.lastname@example.org), boris 14:00:21 <Zakim> +boris 14:00:45 <Zakim> +??P15 14:00:51 <cygri> cygri has joined #gld 14:00:55 <PhilA2> zakim, ??P15 is me 14:00:55 <Zakim> +PhilA2; got it 14:00:58 <Zakim> +mhausenblas 14:00:59 <Zakim> +??P16 14:01:06 <Zakim> +Cory 14:01:07 <cygri> zakim, mhausenblas is temporarily me 14:01:08 <Zakim> +cygri; got it 14:01:37 <Zakim> + +1.202.691.aaaa 14:01:45 <Cory> Cory has joined #gld 14:01:58 <Zakim> + +1.202.566.aabb 14:02:08 <cygri> zakim, who is here? 14:02:08 <Zakim> On the phone I see Gerald_, TinaGheen, bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, boris, PhilA2, cygri, ??P16, Cory, +1.202.691.aaaa, +1.202.566.aabb 14:02:10 <Zakim> On IRC I see Cory, cygri, PhilA2, boris, BenediktKaempgen, martin, tinagheen, RRSAgent, GeraldSteeman, MacTed, BartvanLeeuwen, bhyland, danbri, cgueret_work, Zakim, trackbot, 14:02:13 <Zakim> ... sandro 14:02:18 <Mike> Mike has joined #gld 14:02:21 <Yigal> Yigal has joined #gld 14:02:30 <martin> martin has left #gld 14:03:05 <simonWall> simonWall has joined #gld 14:03:17 <bhyland> zakim, who is here? 14:03:17 <Zakim> On the phone I see Gerald_, TinaGheen, bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, boris, PhilA2, cygri, ??P16, Cory, +1.202.691.aaaa, +1.202.566.aabb 14:03:19 <Zakim> On IRC I see simonWall, Yigal, Mike, Cory, cygri, PhilA2, boris, BenediktKaempgen, tinagheen, RRSAgent, GeraldSteeman, MacTed, BartvanLeeuwen, bhyland, danbri, cgueret_work, Zakim, 14:03:22 <Zakim> ... trackbot, sandro 14:03:59 <Zakim> +??P27 14:04:08 <bhyland> zakim, aaaa is Dan Gillman 14:04:08 <Zakim> I don't understand 'aaaa is Dan Gillman', bhyland 14:04:09 <cgueret_home> cgueret_home has joined #gld 14:04:15 <cygri> zakim, aaaa is DanGillman 14:04:15 <Zakim> +DanGillman; got it 14:04:19 <Yigal> zakim, ??P27 is me 14:04:19 <Zakim> +Yigal; got it 14:04:20 <rreck> rreck has joined #gld 14:04:33 <cgueret_home> hi there! 14:04:35 <martin> martin has joined #gld 14:04:47 <GeraldSteeman> zakim, aabb is Mike 14:04:47 <Zakim> +Mike; got it 14:04:49 <Zakim> +??P1 14:04:51 <bhyland> zakim, who is here? 14:04:51 <Zakim> On the phone I see Gerald_, TinaGheen, bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, boris, PhilA2, cygri, ??P16, Cory, DanGillman, Mike, Yigal, ??P1 14:04:53 <rreck> is there some incantation to have zakim SIP you? 14:04:53 <Zakim> On IRC I see martin, rreck, cgueret_home, simonWall, Yigal, Mike, Cory, cygri, PhilA2, boris, BenediktKaempgen, tinagheen, RRSAgent, GeraldSteeman, MacTed, BartvanLeeuwen, bhyland, 14:04:55 <Zakim> ... danbri, cgueret_work, Zakim, trackbot, sandro 14:05:11 <cygri> zakim, ??P27 is simonWall 14:05:19 <Cory> Aakim, aaa is DanG 14:05:21 <Zakim> I already had ??P27 as Yigal, cygri 14:05:24 <Zakim> +??P3 14:05:35 <Cory> Zakim, aaaa is DanG 14:05:36 <Zakim> sorry, Cory, I do not recognize a party named 'aaaa' 14:05:45 <martin> zakim, ??p3 is me 14:05:45 <Zakim> +martin; got it 14:05:56 <martin> zakim, mute me 14:05:56 <Zakim> martin should now be muted 14:05:59 <cygri> zakim, DanGillman is DanG 14:06:00 <Zakim> +DanG; got it 14:06:22 <PhilA> Hadley is on her way to California for TPAC 14:06:58 <Zakim> +??P32 14:07:24 <GeraldSteeman> TOPIC: Chair is staring meeting 14:07:25 <BenediktKaempgen> BenediktKaempgen is connected through Skype 14:07:34 <cygri> agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.10.27#Agenda 14:08:22 <Zakim> + +1.218.296.aacc 14:08:32 <Zakim> +biplav 14:08:51 <rreck> zakim, +1.218.296.aacc is me 14:08:52 <Zakim> +rreck; got it 14:09:13 <BartvanLeeuwen> q+ 14:09:46 <Biplav> Biplav has joined #gld 14:09:58 <Cory> Agenda item - update on OMG GovDTF and Information Sharing 14:10:15 <bhyland> Topic: Recap on SEMIC.EU from PhilA 14:10:34 <atemezin> atemezin has joined #gld 14:10:44 <GeraldSteeman> PhilA: Vocabs on persons and business. 14:10:55 <bhyland> PhilA: Focusing on business & core persons. Vocabs already exist, e.g., FOAF. On address side, INSPIRE Directive is doing interesting work. 14:11:09 <GeraldSteeman> ... not trying to reinvite and will work with existing schemas 14:11:33 <GeraldSteeman> ...T-pack small but successful 14:11:52 <GeraldSteeman> ...hope to get interaction 14:12:11 <bhyland> Topic: TPAC registration for eGov is lower than would have liked. 14:12:11 <GeraldSteeman> Bhyland: MS and Google to be there. 14:12:21 <PhilA> s/T-pack/TPAC 14:13:27 <tinagheen> +1 minutes 14:13:29 <cgueret_home> +1 14:13:33 <BenediktKaempgen> +1 14:13:36 <atemezin> +1 14:13:50 <GeraldSteeman> Accept minutes: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.10.13 14:13:58 <GeraldSteeman> Minutes accepted 14:14:10 <bhyland> Review of Tracker, see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/ 14:15:16 <atemezin> is there any open issue? 14:15:31 <GeraldSteeman> Action-12 closed 14:15:31 <trackbot> ACTION-12 Archer to request member-only list closed 14:15:43 <BartvanLeeuwen> +1 14:15:44 <BenediktKaempgen> +1 14:15:46 <Biplav> Yes 14:15:46 <Yigal> I do 14:15:47 <simonWall> +1 14:15:48 <Mike> +1 14:15:53 <martin> +1 14:16:21 <GeraldSteeman> Bhyland: Data Camp well done 14:16:48 <GeraldSteeman> ...interesting venue for camp 14:17:31 <GeraldSteeman> ...Keynote speakers very high caliber <names?> in Open Gov 14:17:55 <GeraldSteeman> ...centered transparency 14:18:43 <GeraldSteeman> ...will blog on the camp. Link to come leter 14:19:26 <GeraldSteeman> ...theme of blockers and supporters ran through the camp 14:19:30 <atemezin> do we have some feedbacks after @bhyland presentation? 14:20:39 <bhyland> Ellen Miller from the Sunlight Foundation spoke about the 5 year old, non-profit which is the "grand daddy of the online open government movement." The foundation takes direction from Justice Louis Brandeis' philosophy that "Sunlight is said to be the best disinfectant." Open government data dvocates and entrepreneurs included Tom Steinberg who described the power of proving simple information that benefits civic society. Tom shined some sunlight on wastefu 14:20:41 <GeraldSteeman> bhyland: Open Gov/data to improve lives 14:20:49 <Zakim> +[IPcaller] 14:20:54 <rreck> the US does not explicitly charge for data, we implicitly pay for it (and probably too much). Explicit pay for data might direct it to be better aligned with needs 14:22:18 <tobo> tobo has joined #gld 14:22:30 <GeraldSteeman> bhyland: In US academics and smaller institutions not really present in research; Europe has more funding to those communities. 14:23:08 <GeraldSteeman> ...upshot - lots of smaller contributors. 14:23:48 <GeraldSteeman> ...would like to see more promotion / help those on the inside of govt. 14:24:11 <PhilA> zakim, who's making noise? 14:24:12 <bhyland> zakim who is speaking? 14:24:21 <Zakim> PhilA, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: bhyland (19%), Cory (5%), [IPcaller] (25%) 14:24:49 <PhilA> zakim, mute IPcaller 14:24:49 <Zakim> [IPcaller] should now be muted 14:25:09 <GeraldSteeman> ...people were not looking to data.gov for guidance 14:25:51 <GeraldSteeman> ...would like to show leadership in the community 14:26:17 <bhyland> q? 14:26:20 <GeraldSteeman> ...showed the community directory in two sessions. 14:26:29 <PhilA> ack bar 14:26:38 <BartvanLeeuwen> q- 14:26:52 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call? 14:26:52 <Zakim> On the phone I see Gerald_, TinaGheen, bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, boris, PhilA2, cygri, ??P16, Cory, DanG, Mike, Yigal, simonWall, martin (muted), ??P32, rreck, biplav, [IPcaller] 14:26:56 <Zakim> ... (muted) 14:27:06 <GeraldSteeman> Phil: outreach is important. Egov Interest Group trying it as well. 14:27:12 <Biplav> q+ 14:27:17 <GeraldSteeman> ...all comes done to individuals. 14:27:39 <GeraldSteeman> down nor done 14:28:16 <GeraldSteeman> Phil: target market is so scattered and you have to find them 14:28:27 <bhyland> PhilA: There are individuals who serve as catalysts. YOu have find those key people, some are on the call, some are in the eGov IG. We have to plug away and be very public. 14:28:42 <GeraldSteeman> ...keep plugging away and perhaps find smaller events. 14:28:58 <PhilA> GovCamp wiki http://govcamp.org/index.php/Main_Page 14:29:29 <GeraldSteeman> Bhyland: GeoSpatial camp was held in June. We should share what is going on at local levels. 14:29:40 <simonWall> q+ 14:29:56 <bhyland> PhilA: GovCamp Program has the most traction. 14:30:14 <GeraldSteeman> ...guidance and not sales at these events. 14:30:40 <atemezin> we are planning to organise such a local event here in France... 14:30:51 <GeraldSteeman> PhilA: Went to one at MS office; very good. 14:31:23 <bhyland> PhilA: UK Gov't new tech officer showed up to local UK GovCamp event who everyone wanted to know. 14:31:33 <bhyland> q? 14:32:20 <bhyland> Biplav: How is the Asian "data.gov.xx movement" going? 14:32:25 <GeraldSteeman> Biplasv: What is the opinion of Asia in Open Gov/Data? 14:33:04 <GeraldSteeman> PhilA: I met a contact for the region. 14:33:42 <PhilA> Somnath Chandra of Department of Information Technology, Government of India is in the eGov IG 14:33:58 <GeraldSteeman> bhyland: Datagov (US) may have contacts with India. 14:34:00 <cygri> q+ 14:34:26 <bhyland> ack Biplav 14:34:29 <GeraldSteeman> ...Other sources with Africa. 14:34:47 <atemezin> here at ISWC, they presented us a chinees initiative 14:35:03 <atemezin> s/chineese/chinees 14:35:18 <bhyland> SimonWall: Australia had its first GovCamp event recently. 14:35:36 <GeraldSteeman> Simon: FirstGov Camp. Challege getting people aware of event. 14:35:54 <BartvanLeeuwen> +1 14:36:00 <GeraldSteeman> ...agree with individual contacts comments. 14:36:10 <PhilA> q+ 14:36:14 <cgueret_home> +1 to publicize the directory 14:36:44 <PhilA> ack simo 14:36:54 <atemezin> who's speaking? 14:37:02 <bhyland> SimonWall: Open Data movement didn't know the GovCamp event in Canberra was happening… what can we do to improve communication of these events? 14:37:08 <cygri> http://datos.fundacionctic.org/sandbox/catalog/faceted/ 14:37:09 <bhyland> cygri is speaking now 14:37:19 <PhilA> ack cy 14:37:33 <cygri> ack me 14:37:39 <GeraldSteeman> Richard: There is a map (linked) may be a good starting point. 14:37:53 <bhyland> q? 14:37:55 <PhilA> ack me 14:38:33 <bhyland> PhilA: Follows local people who are involved in open gov communities using Twitter. 14:38:39 <GeraldSteeman> PhilA: Something that work is Twitter. I follow local community. One method. 14:38:51 <Cory> +1 for beer 14:39:00 <cgueret_home> beer evening doesn't work in Netherlands 14:39:01 <simonWall> q+ 14:39:02 <cgueret_home> :( 14:39:08 <GeraldSteeman> ... casual events (i.e beer) can work well too. 14:40:16 <BartvanLeeuwen> q+ 14:40:20 <GeraldSteeman> bhyland: <name> gave advice on putting on a hackathon. 14:40:42 <BenediktKaempgen> BenediktKaempgen has to run. ISWC closing. 14:40:53 <Zakim> -??P32 14:40:55 <GeraldSteeman> ...we are 5 months in the WG. There is a void on getting information / help to those on the inside. 14:41:14 <PhilA> s/<name>/David Eaves/ 14:41:43 <GeraldSteeman> ...govt individuals tend to want to get information published and available to public. 14:42:14 <GeraldSteeman> ...we need to expand our community and fill the void. 14:42:21 <PhilA> It's really important 14:42:22 <Zakim> -rreck 14:42:24 <Mike> +1 14:42:29 <PhilA> ack simo 14:42:47 <bhyland> RE: Local organization of events, Check David Eaves wiki on opendataday.org 14:43:58 <GeraldSteeman> byland: Suggest organizing local hackathons. 14:44:11 <PhilA> ack BartvanLeeuwen 14:44:13 <Cory> q+ 14:44:55 <bhyland> BartvanLeeuwen: Netherlands have a group called "Hack the Government" they are the open gov't data people, sponsor many events around open data (not necessarily Linked Data). 14:45:19 <GeraldSteeman> Bart: NL has a group called Hack the Govt. They work to assist in getting information to public. 14:45:27 <bhyland> Bart: This Netherlands group is no longer allowed to call their events "hack" a thons 14:45:32 <GeraldSteeman> ...getting more min stream. 14:46:11 <cgueret_home> :) 14:46:18 <GeraldSteeman> ...a contro name may be a good way to start. 14:46:30 <bhyland> I met Drs Imke Vrijling, Policy Advisor in Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations 14:46:35 <bhyland> in the Netherlands. 14:46:48 <bhyland> Bart: Discussed attending government events & help them. 14:47:04 <GeraldSteeman> ...we should find ways to promote GLD within other groups. 14:47:17 <cgueret_home> +1 for attending hackatons and speak about the group! 14:47:28 <cygri> q+ 14:47:50 <simonWall> +1 14:48:07 <bhyland> 26-Nov-2011 Hack-a-thon event in Netherlands. 14:48:10 <cgueret_home> yup I'm here 14:48:12 <GeraldSteeman> Bart: 26 Nov there with be Hack the Govt. May try to speak there. 14:48:24 <cgueret_home> q+ 14:48:43 <PhilA> ack Cory 14:48:55 <atemezin> who is here' 14:49:17 <atemezin> who is speaking? 14:49:36 <bhyland> Cory: with his OMG hat on … there was a meeting recently. We're engaged in UML profile for NIEM. 14:49:43 <GeraldSteeman> Cory: There was a meeting Information Sharing monday. Currenty engaged in UML profile. One ingredient. 14:49:58 <cygri> q- 14:50:08 <cgueret_home> q- 14:50:19 <GeraldSteeman> ...Need standards for info sharing equation 14:51:28 <GeraldSteeman> ...Looking to make this international 14:51:48 <GeraldSteeman> bhyland: Please share background info. 14:52:41 <PhilA> The member mailing list is now active 14:53:14 <bhyland> q? 14:53:19 <cygri> q+ 14:53:20 <GeraldSteeman> bhyland: DERI meeting. Who will be able to make it? Chime in. 14:53:20 <tinagheen> I won't be able to travel 14:53:22 <Cory> Don't have budget for such travel 14:53:26 <Mike> we will not have travel funding 14:53:31 <BartvanLeeuwen> +1 14:53:33 <GeraldSteeman> likely not 14:53:33 <Yigal> Still haven't decided 14:53:39 <Biplav> q+ 14:53:43 <bhyland> Topic: Attendance at F2F in Galway Ireland 14:53:46 <PhilA> Hard to be sure but I'm hopeful of being there 14:53:48 <martin> I will try to be there 14:53:49 <tobo> 50 / 50 too 14:53:52 <GeraldSteeman> Simon: 50/50 14:54:02 <martin> zakim, unmute me 14:54:02 <Zakim> martin should no longer be muted 14:54:02 <boris> martin alvarez 14:54:08 <cgueret_home> Christophe: say, 70/30 14:54:11 <bhyland> Simon: 50/50% 14:54:15 <martin> thanks, Boris 14:54:33 <GeraldSteeman> Richard: Report on RDF F2F. 14:54:35 <Biplav> What happens if some people do not make it? 14:55:16 <GeraldSteeman> ...End up in Europe or US. And the attendance is swayed on way or the other. 14:55:36 <bhyland> Cygri: RE: RDF F2F, usually held in Europe or US, tendency to alternate. In the latest F2F held last month, we scheduled it for Boston area but also had common European meeting place in UK. 14:56:31 <GeraldSteeman> ...RDF had parallel meeting US and UK locations. It work fairly well to sync up. 14:56:34 <bhyland> Cygri: They had almost two F2F's happening in parallel in two locations, across the Atlantic. Had video hookup. Acknowledge that it will be hard to get travel for everyone to come to one place. 14:56:58 <bhyland> zakim, who is on call? 14:56:59 <Zakim> I don't understand your question, bhyland. 14:57:09 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call? 14:57:09 <Zakim> On the phone I see Gerald_, TinaGheen, bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, boris, PhilA2, cygri, ??P16, Cory, DanG, Mike, Yigal, simonWall, martin, biplav, [IPcaller] (muted) 14:57:35 <GeraldSteeman> ...Perhaps there could be a east coast US 2nd location. 14:58:40 <GeraldSteeman> bhyland: Will send out a poll and get working on logistics. 14:59:43 <simonWall> q+ 14:59:53 <GeraldSteeman> Bhyland: time zone are still a challenge. 15:00:09 <cygri> +1 to canberra! 15:00:37 <sandro_testing> sandro_testing has joined #gld 15:00:53 <simonWall> q- 15:00:54 <GeraldSteeman> bhyland: please submit agenda items. 15:00:58 <cygri> ack me 15:01:34 <PhilA> q+ to remind bhyland about time zone issues for next week 15:02:04 <PhilA> ack Biplav 15:02:04 <simonWall> Bernadette is right - no problem for me finding useful meetings in Eruope or US, problem is getting there in the first place 15:02:53 <cygri> q+ 15:03:18 <GeraldSteeman> Biplav: Would like to learn more about the F2F. 15:03:30 <bhyland> Gerald: NASA is involved in organizing seminar around scientific analysis & reporting. Having their bi-monthly meeting and Bernadette will be speaking on W3C GLD, other speakers will be talking about data sets starting with 1 star Linked Data moving up the data chain. 15:03:57 <bhyland> The talk is on November 3rd so I will not be here next week. 15:04:38 <bhyland> Biplav: Budget will always be a concern. Remote participation to be arranged. 15:04:58 <bhyland> Cygri: Remote participation is OK, not optimal, but better than nothing (Bern paraphrasing). 15:05:03 <GeraldSteeman> cygri: Will be opportunty to dial in. Not as nice as in person 15:05:11 <bhyland> q? 15:05:32 <bhyland> Announcement: W3C TPAC next week 31-Oct to 4-Nov 2011. 15:05:32 <bhyland> • https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC2011/registrants#css. 15:05:32 <bhyland> • Jeanne Holme and Phil Archer will be running sessions on eGov IG 31-Oct to 1-Nov 2011. http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/F2F4, remote participation by GLD WG members is encouraged. 15:05:54 <GeraldSteeman> Mind daylight savings! 15:06:14 <simonWall> Looking forward to everyone coming off of summer time 15:06:27 <PhilA> Jeanne put the agenda together but I'm there in Sandro's absence 15:06:30 <simonWall> 2am here 15:06:48 <BartvanLeeuwen> bye 15:06:49 <GeraldSteeman> Closing meeting 15:06:49 <Zakim> -PhilA2 15:06:50 <Zakim> -Mike 15:06:50 <Zakim> -DanG 15:06:50 <cgueret_home> bye 15:06:51 <Zakim> -Yigal 15:06:52 <Zakim> -Cory 15:06:52 <bhyland> Meeting adjourned. 15:06:54 <Zakim> -??P16 15:07:00 <Zakim> -boris 15:07:04 <Zakim> -martin 15:07:07 <Yigal> Yigal has left #gld 15:07:07 <martin> martin has left #gld 15:07:07 <Zakim> -cygri 15:07:15 <tobo> tobo has left #gld 15:07:17 <Zakim> -[IPcaller] 15:07:43 <bhyland> RRSAgent, set logs world-visible 15:07:47 <Zakim> -TinaGheen 15:07:50 <Zakim> -biplav 15:08:02 <bhyland> RRSAgent, generate minutes 15:08:02 <RRSAgent> I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/10/27-gld-minutes.html bhyland # SPECIAL MARKER FOR CHATSYNC. DO NOT EDIT THIS LINE OR BELOW. SRCLINESUSED=00000330