From Government Linked Data (GLD) Working Group Wiki
Revision as of 15:14, 1 September 2011 by Bhyland
Please justify/explain all edits to this page, in your "edit summary" text.
13:56:42 <RRSAgent> RRSAgent has joined #gld 13:56:42 <RRSAgent> logging to http://www.w3.org/2011/09/01-gld-irc 13:57:02 <boris> boris has joined #gld 13:57:20 <martinAlvarez> martinAlvarez has joined #gld 13:57:54 <bhyland> zakim what conferences do you see? 13:58:23 <bhyland> zakim list 13:58:26 <BenediktKaempgen> BenediktKaempgen has joined #gld 13:59:36 <Yigal> Yigal has joined #gld 13:59:55 <BartvanLeeuwen> hi all 14:00:00 <TinaGheen> TinaGheen has joined #gld 14:00:06 <gatemezi> gatemezi has joined #gld 14:00:57 <olyerickson> zakim, who is speaking? 14:00:57 <Zakim> sorry, olyerickson, I don't know what conference this is 14:01:23 <cygri_> cygri_ has joined #gld 14:01:42 <BartvanLeeuwen> nope, no SIP connection to IRC 14:01:46 <mhausenblas> Zakim, this will be GLD 14:01:46 <rreck> rreck has joined #gld 14:01:53 <Zakim> ok, mhausenblas, I see T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM already started 14:02:05 <bhyland> Thanks Michael 14:02:19 <Zakim> +mhausenblas 14:02:24 <BartvanLeeuwen> ah there it is 14:02:25 <mhausenblas> Zakim, cygri is with me 14:02:29 <Zakim> +cygri; got it 14:02:38 <olyerickson> Zakim, who is speaking? 14:02:48 <Zakim> -??P27 14:02:51 <HadleyBeeman> HadleyBeeman has joined #gld 14:02:53 <Zakim> olyerickson, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: ??P24 (11%), mhausenblas (70%) 14:03:12 <Zakim> +??P27 14:03:21 <Zakim> +??P58 14:03:28 <BartvanLeeuwen> Zakim, ??P27 is BartvanLeeuwen 14:03:28 <Zakim> +BartvanLeeuwen; got it 14:03:32 <Zakim> + +1.218.296.aadd 14:03:36 <martinAlvarez> zakim, ??p58 is me 14:03:36 <Zakim> +martinAlvarez; got it 14:03:52 <Zakim> +hadleybeeman 14:04:01 <rreck> zakim, +1.218.296.aadd is me 14:04:01 <Zakim> +rreck; got it 14:04:15 <Zakim> +Sandro 14:04:27 <gatemezi> Hi everyone... 14:04:33 <Yigal> zakim, ??P24 is me 14:04:33 <Zakim> +Yigal; got it 14:04:33 <rreck> sandro: did you get the log i sent of last week's meeting? 14:05:02 <bhyland> zakim, who is here? 14:05:02 <Zakim> On the phone I see +1.202.566.aaaa, davidwood, Yigal, +49.721.aabb, ??P28, +1.703.292.aacc, mhausenblas, BartvanLeeuwen, martinAlvarez, rreck, hadleybeeman, Sandro 14:05:05 <Zakim> mhausenblas has mhausenblas, cygri 14:05:17 <TinaGheen> Zakim, aacc is me 14:05:17 <Zakim> +TinaGheen; got it 14:05:38 <bhyland> zakim davidwood is me 14:05:41 <BenediktKaempgen> zakim, aabb is bkaempgen 14:05:41 <Zakim> +bkaempgen; got it 14:05:56 <boris> Zakim, mhausenblas is with me 14:05:56 <Zakim> sorry, boris, I do not recognize a party named 'boris' 14:06:09 <cgueret_home> cgueret_home has joined #gld 14:06:15 <mhausenblas> Zakim, boris is with me 14:06:15 <Zakim> +boris; got it 14:06:20 <boris> thanks Michael 14:06:31 <cgueret_home> hi everyone 14:06:35 <mhausenblas> Zakim, aaaa is MikePendleton 14:06:35 <Zakim> +MikePendleton; got it 14:06:38 <HadleyBeeman> zakim, +1.202.566.aaaa is MIkePendleton 14:06:38 <Zakim> sorry, HadleyBeeman, I do not recognize a party named '+1.202.566.aaaa' 14:06:46 <bhyland> zakim, who is here? 14:06:46 <Zakim> On the phone I see MikePendleton, davidwood, Yigal, bkaempgen, ??P28, TinaGheen, mhausenblas, BartvanLeeuwen, martinAlvarez, rreck, hadleybeeman, Sandro 14:06:50 <Zakim> mhausenblas has mhausenblas, cygri, boris 14:06:52 <annew> annew has joined #gld 14:06:57 <olyerickson> Zakim, ??P28 is olyerickson 14:06:57 <Zakim> +olyerickson; got it 14:07:07 <BenediktKaempgen> zakim, aabb is BenediktKaempgen 14:07:07 <Zakim> sorry, BenediktKaempgen, I do not recognize a party named 'aabb' 14:07:11 <Zakim> +Cory 14:07:38 <BenediktKaempgen> zakim, bkaempgen is BenediktKaempgen 14:07:38 <Zakim> +BenediktKaempgen; got it 14:07:55 <cygri> scribe: cygri 14:08:28 <Zakim> +??P68 14:08:57 <cgueret_home> I just joined the call 14:09:05 <cygri> zakim, who is noisy? 14:09:16 <Zakim> cygri, listening for 10 seconds I could not identify any sounds 14:09:18 <cgueret_home> :) 14:09:29 <cgueret_home> Christophe Gueret 14:09:35 <mhausenblas> Zakim, mite cgueret_home 14:09:35 <Zakim> I don't understand 'mite cgueret_home', mhausenblas 14:09:39 <mhausenblas> Zakim, mute cgueret_home 14:09:39 <Zakim> sorry, mhausenblas, I do not know which phone connection belongs to cgueret_home 14:09:52 <HadleyBeeman> zakim, who is here? 14:09:52 <Zakim> On the phone I see MikePendleton, davidwood, Yigal, BenediktKaempgen, olyerickson, TinaGheen, mhausenblas, BartvanLeeuwen, martinAlvarez, rreck, hadleybeeman, Sandro, Cory, ??P68 14:09:52 <cygri> zakim, ??P68 is cgueret_home 14:09:55 <Zakim> mhausenblas has mhausenblas, cygri, boris 14:09:56 <Zakim> +cgueret_home; got it 14:10:06 <cygri> zakim, mute cgueret_home 14:10:06 <Zakim> cgueret_home should now be muted 14:10:21 <cygri> agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.09.01 14:10:31 <cygri> zakim, unmute cgueret_home 14:10:31 <Zakim> cgueret_home should no longer be muted 14:10:45 <cgueret_home> q+ 14:10:54 <Zakim> + +1.202.691.aaee 14:10:55 <cygri> bhyland: we have some new members and official invited experts 14:11:07 <cygri> ... please introduce yourself 14:11:24 <mhausenblas> q? 14:11:26 <olyerickson> q? 14:11:30 <rreck> q? 14:11:30 <bhyland> q? 14:11:30 <cgueret_home> @bhyland it's ok I have access to the wiki etc 14:11:38 <cygri> ... and make sure you're on the mailing list and can edit the wiki 14:11:42 <BartvanLeeuwen> bhyland, all works for me since this week 14:12:07 <mhausenblas> ack cgueret_home 14:12:10 <mhausenblas> q? 14:12:11 <cygri> cgueret_home: Christophe Gueret at VUA 14:12:16 <cgueret_home> LATC 14:12:17 <cygri> ... work in the LATC project 14:12:20 <cgueret_home> latc-project.eu 14:12:21 <Zakim> + +1.703.913.aaff 14:12:27 <bhyland> q? 14:12:46 <Cory> Cory has joined #GLD 14:13:28 <cygri> daniel: DOD ... interested in best practices 14:13:39 <Zakim> +??P39 14:13:55 <gatemezi> Welcome Christophe!! 14:14:21 <cgueret_home> thanks :) 14:14:27 <cygri> bhyland: we have a balance of research folks and government folks in the group 14:14:54 <cygri> ... if you have use cases etc, you're encouraged to present them 14:15:24 <cygri> ... this is a very pragmatic working group ... we will develop some specifications but also best practices 14:16:05 <cygri> ... feel free to form breakout groups, write emails and cc the list, develop discussion on the wiki 14:16:26 <cygri> ... now that we're off the ground and have WG mechanics in place 14:16:52 <bhyland> q? 14:17:24 <cygri> ... there's a poll for next F2F 14:17:47 <olyerickson> I need to verify travel ;) 14:17:58 <cygri> http://www.doodle.com/3qhtb2n5umr5s434 14:18:06 <gatemezi> what about the minutes of our previous meeting? 14:18:11 <cygri> ... please fill out if you haven't yet 14:18:24 <cgueret_home> I sent a log to Sandro 14:18:53 <cygri> ... minutes from last week's minutes didn't get captured, we need to reconstruct them from christophe's irc log 14:18:58 <BartvanLeeuwen> +q 14:19:08 <cygri> topic: Community Directory 14:19:44 <Zakim> -mhausenblas 14:20:05 <cygri> uhm, bhyland, we dropped for some reason 14:20:15 <bhyland> Will do. 14:20:26 <gatemezi> ComDir.. @bhyland.. I had some questions that I send them to you 14:20:39 <Zakim> +mhausenblas 14:20:49 <mhausenblas> Zakim, cygri is with me 14:20:49 <Zakim> +cygri; got it 14:20:59 <mhausenblas> Zakim, boris is with me 14:20:59 <Zakim> +boris; got it 14:21:07 <Zakim> + +1.757.604.aagg 14:21:51 <gatemezi> ComDir we need to see what next after having access to 3roudstones platform.. 14:22:23 <bhyland> BartvanLeeuwen: Discussed practitioners of LD in Netherlands. Some is documented (in Dutch) re: use of standard vocabs and Bart is looking for place to integrate this info. Looking for entry point within EU. 14:22:27 <BartvanLeeuwen> http://standaarden.overheid.nl/owms/4.0/doc/ 14:22:33 <mhausenblas> q+ 14:22:39 <BartvanLeeuwen> q- 14:23:18 <mhausenblas> ack me 14:23:22 <bhyland> q- mhausenblas 14:23:28 <bhyland> q? 14:23:41 <cygri> bhyland: how do you deal with specifications/documents etc that are not in english, in w3c? 14:24:48 <cygri> mhausenblas: when you bring together people from different backgrounds, the rest follows 14:25:01 <cygri> ... of course people want documents in their own language 14:25:11 <bhyland> mhausenblas: RE: Discussed issues of publishing info in other languages than English. People want info in their own language. SMEs and Web Developers need this. We don't have a really good solution, but safe bet to say that if people get together solutions seem to emerge. 14:25:46 <cygri> bhyland: bart, can your colleague come to a F2F meeting? 14:25:51 <mhausenblas> scribenick: cygri 14:25:59 <bhyland> ack cygri 14:26:09 <cygri> BartvanLeeuwen: not sure. he's very active in dublin core and eGovernment 14:26:41 <gatemezi> But I suppose that a small summary of documents in other languages that English could be necessary.. 14:26:57 <cygri> ... there are various overlapping activities around definition of vocabularies 14:27:07 <cygri> ... how to avoid duplicate work? 14:27:41 <cygri> bhyland: question of publishing in multiple languages is critical 14:27:52 <cygri> BartvanLeeuwen: will take it to the mailing list 14:28:04 <olyerickson> Note that I don't think internationalization is completely disconnected from the work of this group 14:28:12 <cygri> bhyland: i'll check if callimachus can handle content in multiple languages 14:28:25 <olyerickson> +1 to querying directory info (that's my point) 14:28:30 <HadleyBeeman> Can we learn anything from the semantic web interest group? They must've had to deal with internationalisation and multiple languages. 14:28:58 <cygri> bhyland: a few questions have been raised regarding the community directory 14:29:07 <Yigal> q+ 14:29:25 <cygri> ... email me to get a login 14:29:33 <bhyland> q? 14:29:34 <GeraldSteeman> GeraldSteeman has joined #gld 14:29:37 <mhausenblas> ack Yigal 14:29:41 <BenediktKaempgen> q+ 14:30:06 <cygri> Yigal: i'm uncertain about the form it should take exactly. but i'll try to add some things 14:30:18 <cygri> bhyland: what portion do you want to help with? 14:30:54 <cygri> Yigal: research funding. describe in detail what attributes, categories of sources, tpyes of funding are available 14:31:07 <cygri> bhyland: can you describe why this is important? 14:31:54 <cygri> Yigal: academics get funding from government agencies. it's important for people to understand what's involved in getting such funding 14:32:22 <cygri> bhyland: (anecdote on AI winter and semantic web) 14:32:43 <DruidSmith> DruidSmith has joined #gld 14:33:03 <Zakim> + +1.202.566.aahh 14:33:26 <olyerickson> RDF isn't a standard, it's a recommendation ;) 14:33:39 <DruidSmith_> DruidSmith_ has joined #gld 14:34:04 <bhyland> q? 14:34:21 <cygri> topic: Data Cube 14:34:38 <cygri> Benedikt: (reports on data cube breakout last week) 14:35:02 <cygri> ... goal: recommend how to publish governmental statistical data 14:35:07 <BenediktKaempgen> http://wiki.planet-data.eu/web/Datasets 14:35:12 <cygri> ... sdmx might be too expressive 14:35:24 <cygri> ... what exactly is needed, is still not entirely clear 14:35:41 <cygri> ... john sheridan reported on how they specialized data cube for COINS 14:36:09 <cygri> ... the specialization makes it easier to talk about financial data 14:36:18 <cygri> ... as opposed to statistical concepts (dimensions etc) 14:36:27 <annew> RFC? 14:36:35 <cygri> ... unfortunately, data is not available with dereferenceable URIs, only zip files 14:36:54 <cygri> ... another topic: how should statistical data be consumed? 14:36:55 <bhyland> @annew RFC = request for comment 14:36:55 <olyerickson> JohnS noted that DataCube more suited to "aggregate" data 14:37:24 <cygri> ... another topic: what's missing from the vocabulary 14:37:42 <cygri> ... perhaps: can descriptions of different datasets be combined? 14:37:43 <cygri> q+ 14:38:01 <bhyland> q? 14:38:13 <bhyland> q- BenediktKaempgen 14:38:21 <bhyland> q- cygri 14:40:01 <bhyland> q? 14:40:02 <cygri> cygri: (you can announce that datasets can be combined by re-using code lists, concepts etc) 14:40:22 <cygri> benedikt: yes, but publishers tend not to do that. we have to find out why 14:41:15 <bhyland> q? 14:41:18 <olyerickson> @bhyland are you looking for e.g. JohnS's use cases? 14:41:25 <cygri> topic: Procurement 14:41:43 <annew> thanks mhausenblas. RFC is a way to gather multiple perspectives /comments . 14:41:55 <cygri> bhyland: is anyone here who can contribute to the discussion here? 14:42:47 <annew> and for clarity IETF is Internet Engineering Task Force 14:43:15 <cygri> topic: Provenance 14:42:49 <cygri> bhyland: last week we had Stephen Creswell (UK TSO) from the provenance WG who discussed what they have been doing, see http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/XGR-prov-20101214/. He is looking for liaison from the GLD WG to ensure we supply realistic use cases for their recommendations. 14:43:33 <gatemezi> yes 14:43:40 <gatemezi> no.. 14:43:45 <gatemezi> sorry.. 14:44:29 <cygri> olyerickson: i can help making the right connections regarding provenance 14:44:57 <bhyland> Stephen Cresswell (UK TSO) 14:45:22 <cygri> ACTION: olyerickson to connect with steven chresswell regarding provenance 14:45:23 <trackbot> Created ACTION-5 - Connect with steven chresswell regarding provenance [on John Erickson - due 2011-09-08]. 14:45:43 <cygri> topic: DNS Subdomain discussion 14:46:10 <Michael Pendleton> you definitely have permission 14:46:33 <cygri> bhyland: mike pendleton is with us. preparing to release several datasets 14:46:33 <gatemezi> Zakim, gatemezi maybe Ghislain Atemezing 14:46:33 <Zakim> I don't understand 'gatemezi maybe Ghislain Atemezing', gatemezi 14:46:56 <cygri> ... looking for direction on identifiers 14:48:08 <cygri> ... we discussed having opendata.<orgname>.gov 14:48:19 <annew> +q 14:48:29 <cygri> ... experiences, anyone? 14:48:34 <BartvanLeeuwen> +q 14:48:37 <bhyland> q? 14:48:52 <cygri> annew: what is the goal of a subdomain here? 14:49:28 <cygri> bhyland: we want to make rdf available for the epa. what shall we tell their sysadmin? 14:49:28 <cygri> q+ 14:49:34 <cygri> ack annew 14:49:48 <David Smith> i.e. facilities.epa.gov/... and substances.epa.gov/.. and so on 14:50:21 <cygri> annew: are you trying to encourage a convention so that everyone knows where to find the open data? 14:50:25 <David Smith> versus opendata.epa.gov/facilities and opendata.epa.gov/substances (simplified examples) 14:50:30 <cygri> bhyland: it would be nice if there was consistency 14:50:39 <HadleyBeeman> q+ 14:50:46 <bhyland> q? 14:50:52 <olyerickson> -1 to e.g. "rdf.fooagency.gov" 14:51:15 <cygri> BartvanLeeuwen: why do you say “open” and not just “data”? 14:51:18 <sandro> q? 14:51:20 <sandro> q? 14:51:24 <BartvanLeeuwen> q- 14:51:26 <mhausenblas> q? 14:51:31 <mhausenblas> ack cygri 14:51:32 <bhyland> q- BartvanLeeuwen 14:51:46 <cgueret_home> s/replace/replaced 14:51:48 <olyerickson> +1 to "data.fooagency.gov" 14:51:59 <annew> +1 data.agency.gov 14:52:27 <cgueret_home> +1 data.<organisation>.<country> 14:52:32 <olyerickson> it's analogous to efforts like "data.rpi.edu" "data.soton.edu" (or whatever) 14:52:42 <Zakim> +??P2 14:52:45 <cygri> cygri: data.<org>.<tld> is a common pattern. mirrors www.<org>.<tld> 14:52:47 <bhyland> ack HadleyBeeman 14:52:58 <olyerickson> Isn't GT using data.health.gov ? 14:53:02 <gatemezi> +1 for opendata.fooagency.gov 14:53:27 <olyerickson> -1 to "opendata..." 14:53:36 <Michael Pendleton> A big thanks from EPA for all this sage advice 14:53:41 <gatemezi> +1 to "opendata".. 14:53:51 <Zakim> -Sandro 14:53:54 <cygri> topic: Announcements 14:53:57 <mhausenblas> q+ 14:53:58 <bhyland> q? 14:54:13 <olyerickson> q+ 14:54:23 <annew> +1 olyerickson way tedious 14:54:33 <bhyland> +1 to data.fooagency.gov 14:54:33 <cygri> mhausenblas: we have journal special issue in IEEE Intelligent Systems 14:54:35 <mhausenblas> ack me 14:54:36 <mhausenblas> http://www.computer.org/portal/web/computingnow/iscfp2 14:54:48 <gatemezi> for me it is to make clear that we are dealing with data that are OPEN.. 14:54:49 <cygri> ... submissions due in three weeks 14:55:34 <cygri> bhyland: is this all about new research, or also about best practices? 14:56:33 <cygri> mhausenblas: looking for real-world experiences, but some relation to a research challenge should be present in the submission 14:56:39 <mhausenblas> q? 14:56:49 <bhyland> @mhausenblas: I encourage you to research out to the Ontoprise guys who I heard speak yesterday on work they are doing in enterprise hospital care, HR, hydro-power project using sem tech. 14:57:08 <olyerickson> q- 14:57:10 <bhyland> q? 14:57:15 <rreck> write another edition 14:57:28 <cygri> bhyland: ontoprise guys do very interesting stuff, i wish they had submitted a chapter to the LGD book 14:57:36 <cygri> ... open gov camp in warsaw 14:57:39 <GeraldSteeman> q+ 14:57:42 <cygri> ... we are invited to organize a track there 14:57:58 <cygri> q+ 14:58:12 <bhyland> q? 14:58:37 <BartvanLeeuwen> London opengov data camp was really nice last year 14:58:40 <mhausenblas> q? 14:58:42 <mhausenblas> ack GeraldSteeman 14:58:50 <bhyland> *Hadley - thanks, I'll definitely take you up on that! 14:58:51 <olyerickson> q+ 14:59:02 <cygri> GeraldSteeman: nov 3rd, NASA will host a meeting ... 14:59:09 <bhyland> ack GeraldSteeman 14:59:16 <bhyland> ack cygri 14:59:19 <cygri> ... would bhyland or george be available to speak there? 14:59:27 <GeraldSteeman> q- 14:59:30 <cygri> ... 14 agencies will be there, good opportunity 14:59:33 <cygri> q- 14:59:40 <TinaGheen> +1 for George or Bernadette speaking to CENDI 15:00:13 <cygri> olyerickson: the eGov Interest Group is restarted, calls were paused but are on now again 15:00:27 <HadleyBeeman> olyerickson I was there too 15:00:28 <annew> +1 CENDI is an important group to expose to open linked data 15:00:32 <sandro> (yep, this group is an spin-off of that group, the eGov IG) 15:00:34 <bhyland> Coming up on Sept 15th, GLD WG meeting will have Bernard Vatant from Mondeca as guest speaking on VoaF. 15:00:37 <HadleyBeeman> q+ 15:00:38 <cygri> ... i seem to be the olny one from this group on that call 15:00:53 <annew> Anne is an invited expert on egov interest group but missed first call 15:01:15 <olyerickson> q- 15:01:31 <sandro> In general they 9am on the third tuesday of the month. 15:01:38 <bhyland> q? 15:01:43 <sandro> (boston time) 15:02:04 <mhausenblas> ack HadleyBeeman 15:02:46 <annew> +1 Hadley's comments on staying connected 15:02:52 <cygri> HadleyBeeman: there's lots of overlap in interest between both groups so we need strong connections 15:02:57 <bhyland> * @annew thanks for recommending we reach out to CENDI. * 15:02:57 <olyerickson> Great meeting bern! 15:03:05 <cygri> bhyland: adjourned 15:03:06 <rreck> thanks 15:03:08 <HadleyBeeman> Thanks, bhyland! 15:03:11 <rreck> its an hour long? 15:03:12 <BartvanLeeuwen> thx ! see you next week 15:03:12 <cgueret_home> thanks 15:03:14 <annew> cheers! 15:03:15 <cgueret_home> bye 15:03:17 <martinAlvarez> bye 15:03:19 <sandro> thanks! 15:03:20 <cygri> RRSAgent, make minutes public 15:03:20 <RRSAgent> I'm logging. I don't understand 'make minutes public', cygri. Try /msg RRSAgent help 15:03:21 <bhyland> thanks all. 15:03:22 <Yigal> Yigal has left #gld 15:03:28 <martinAlvarez> martinAlvarez has left #gld 15:03:33 <cygri> RRSAgent, make logs public # SPECIAL MARKER FOR CHATSYNC. DO NOT EDIT THIS LINE OR BELOW. SRCLINESUSED=00000336