- On LinkedIn, bhyland
- Was an early Web developer in the Web "Bronze Age" ... back when there was vi and 12 HTML tags, 1993.
- Moved into the Web "Iron Age" as a serial entrepreneur in 1998
- Co-founded & operated four companies using semantic technologies, started working with RDF before it as a W3 standard.
- Worked with some cluey Aussies and Dave Wood to produce the first commercially supported RDF graph database long before there was a market for such a thing ... but that is another story.
- Circa 2004, the US Defense community saw the value of graph databases and they started using the Tucana Knowledge Server for large scale data analysis.
- Today, in the "Data Age", I'm working on Government Linked Data Projects through 3 Round Stones, Inc.
- I lead a company called 3 Round Stones which run production platform-as-a-service (PaaS) for government and commercial Linked Data.
- We run a high availability PURLs service for US GPO used by 1,200 Federal Depository Libraries in the USA.
- Consulting to several US Government agencies including the EPA
- Previously, as CEO of Zepheira, I was supported the Recollection Project for Library of Congress, as well as a healthcare clinical trials knowledge management POC for better, faster, cheaper workflow management and data mining using Linked Data.
- Open Source advocate
What I Care About
Sharing data via the Web is potentially the greatest advance in human history. Playing a small part in the Web of data revolution to make it to become part of our everyday life gives me great joy.
I believe that a small number of people can reach out and positively impact hundreds of millions of people. I see promise in Linked Data to help with government transparency, environmental stewardship, energy, scientific, technical and medical research, art history & cultural heritage, to name just a few important areas.
To recharge, I study Aikido, paddle (a kayak), look for dolphins and pelicans whenever possible.
- Started two software services and two product companies in Australia & the US
- Experienced project manager for multi-million dollar IT projects with ROI measured in weeks.
- Former RDBMS data modeler who was fortunate to be shown a better in early 2000.
- Database systems developer for a large product company (IBM) and app developer for financial services industry.
- bhyland at 3roundstones dot com
- I occasionally tweet, see @BernHyland