Chatlog 2013-01-10

From Government Linked Data (GLD) Working Group Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

See original RRSAgent log or preview nicely formatted version.

Please justify/explain all edits to this page, in your "edit summary" text.

14:55:21 <RRSAgent> RRSAgent has joined #gld
14:55:21 <RRSAgent> logging to http://www.w3.org/2013/01/10-gld-irc
14:55:37 <bhyland> Meeting: W3C Gov Linked Data WG
14:55:43 <bhyland> Chair: bhyland
14:55:47 <bhyland> Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20130110
14:55:57 <BartvanLeeuwen> hi bhyland
14:56:08 <bhyland> Hi Bart!  Happy new year to you
14:56:37 <HadleyBeeman> Hi all
14:56:43 <BartvanLeeuwen> yeah and a safe one to you !
14:57:21 <HadleyBeeman> zakim, what's the code?
14:57:21 <Zakim> sorry, HadleyBeeman, I don't know what conference this is
14:57:23 <bhyland> yes, repairs are done & additional smoke detectors will be installed next week… hoping for a smoke free 2013
14:57:27 <HadleyBeeman> zakim, this is gld
14:57:27 <Zakim> ok, HadleyBeeman; that matches T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM
14:57:34 <HadleyBeeman> zakim, what's the code?
14:57:34 <Zakim> the conference code is 45394 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 sip:zakim@voip.w3.org), HadleyBeeman
14:57:39 <bhyland>   conference code 45394#  ("GLDWG")
14:57:47 <HadleyBeeman> thanks, bhyland! :)
14:57:52 <BenediktKaempgen> BenediktKaempgen has joined #gld
14:58:03 <Zakim> +??P2
14:58:15 <BartvanLeeuwen> Zakim, ??p2 is me
14:58:15 <Zakim> +BartvanLeeuwen; got it
14:58:52 <Zakim> +??P8
14:59:00 <fadmaa> fadmaa has joined #gld
14:59:00 <jmynarz> jmynarz has joined #gld
14:59:01 <Zakim> + +1.440.389.aabb
14:59:14 <HadleyBeeman> zakim, aabb is me
14:59:15 <Zakim> +HadleyBeeman; got it
14:59:23 <BenediktKaempgen> Zakim, who is there?
14:59:24 <Zakim> I don't understand your question, BenediktKaempgen.
14:59:28 <BenediktKaempgen> Zakim, who is here?
14:59:29 <Zakim> On the phone I see +1.540.898.aaaa, BartvanLeeuwen, ??P8, HadleyBeeman
14:59:29 <Zakim> On IRC I see jmynarz, fadmaa, BenediktKaempgen, RRSAgent, Zakim, HadleyBeeman, BartvanLeeuwen, danbri, bhyland, trackbot, sandro
14:59:46 <HadleyBeeman> bhyland, i'm surprised that adddress isn't released as open data
15:00:19 <PhilA2> PhilA2 has joined #gld
15:00:29 <PhilA2> up the lurkers!
15:00:48 <Zakim> + +3539149aacc
15:00:52 <Zakim> +??P14
15:01:02 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call?
15:01:02 <Zakim> On the phone I see +1.540.898.aaaa, BartvanLeeuwen, ??P8, HadleyBeeman, +3539149aacc, ??P14
15:01:12 <bhyland> zakim, aaaa is me
15:01:12 <Zakim> +bhyland; got it
15:01:15 <fadmaa> Zakim, +353 is fadmaa
15:01:15 <Zakim> +fadmaa; got it
15:01:18 <BenediktKaempgen> Thanks!
15:01:21 <PhilA> zakim, code?
15:01:21 <Zakim> the conference code is 45394 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 sip:zakim@voip.w3.org), PhilA
15:01:31 <Zakim> +[IPcaller]
15:01:36 <PhilA> zakim, IPcaller is me
15:01:36 <Zakim> +PhilA; got it
15:01:42 <olyerickson> olyerickson has joined #gld
15:01:44 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call?
15:01:44 <Zakim> On the phone I see bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, ??P8, HadleyBeeman, fadmaa, ??P14, PhilA
15:02:05 <Zakim> +Sandro
15:02:13 <bhyland> zakim, ??P8 is BenediktK
15:02:13 <Zakim> +BenediktK; got it
15:02:27 <DaveReynolds_> DaveReynolds_ has joined #GLD
15:02:30 <BenediktKaempgen> Zakim, BenediktK is BenediktKaempgen
15:02:30 <Zakim> +BenediktKaempgen; got it
15:02:34 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call?
15:02:35 <Zakim> On the phone I see bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, BenediktKaempgen, HadleyBeeman, fadmaa, ??P14, PhilA, Sandro
15:03:27 <bhyland> no, not that I know of Dave
15:03:32 <DaveReynolds> DaveReynolds has joined #GLD
15:03:38 <DaveReynolds_> DaveReynolds_ has left #gld
15:03:42 <bhyland> How are you trying to get in? Web UI?
15:03:51 <fadmaa> scribe:fadmaa
15:03:51 <fadmaa> guest: Dan (danbri) Brickley
15:03:54 <bhyland> Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20130110
15:04:19 <agipap> agipap has joined #gld
15:05:04 <fadmaa> Zakim, mute me
15:05:04 <Zakim> fadmaa should now be muted
15:05:13 <Mike_Pendleton> Mike_Pendleton has joined #gld
15:05:14 <Zakim> +[IPcaller]
15:05:24 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call?
15:05:27 <Zakim> On the phone I see bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, BenediktKaempgen, HadleyBeeman, fadmaa (muted), ??P14, PhilA, Sandro, [IPcaller]
15:05:29 <agipap> zakim, IPcaller is me
15:05:29 <Zakim> +agipap; got it
15:05:42 <Zakim> +Mike_Pendleton
15:06:03 <fadmaa> PhilA: we might hear news regarding a second chair next week
15:06:09 <Zakim> +[IPcaller]
15:06:45 <fadmaa> PROPOSAL: accept minutes of last meeting http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-12-20
15:06:50 <bhyland> +1
15:06:53 <BartvanLeeuwen> +1
15:07:01 <agipap> +1
15:07:07 <Zakim> +??P34
15:07:19 <fadmaa> RESOLUTION: accept the minutes
15:07:24 <olyerickson> zakim, ??P34 is me.
15:07:24 <Zakim> +olyerickson; got it
15:07:34 <olyerickson> zakim, mute me.
15:07:34 <Zakim> olyerickson should now be muted
15:07:35 <bhyland> Topic: RegOrg FPWD
15:07:35 <BartvanLeeuwen> q+
15:07:43 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call?
15:07:43 <Zakim> On the phone I see bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, BenediktKaempgen, HadleyBeeman, fadmaa (muted), ??P14, PhilA, Sandro, agipap, Mike_Pendleton, DaveReynolds, olyerickson (muted)
15:08:38 <bhyland> All, please review http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-regorg/ at your convenience this month.
15:08:38 <fadmaa> philA:  we hope to get increasing use of the RegOrg ontology
15:09:15 <bhyland> … Netherlands Fire Dept is beginning to use it.
15:09:47 <fadmaa> agipap: started before christmas working on modeling data we have using the core Organisation ontology using RegOrg. expect some results  next month
15:09:52 <fadmaa> Zakim, unmute me
15:09:52 <Zakim> fadmaa should no longer be muted
15:10:05 <fadmaa> Zakim, mute me
15:10:05 <Zakim> fadmaa should now be muted
15:10:23 <PhilA> It's a pretty simply vocab to be honest ;-)
15:10:26 <bhyland> q?
15:10:58 <fadmaa> bhyland: encourage reviewing ontologies we are working on continuously  esp. Org ontology
15:11:37 <bhyland> Bart: Beginning to work RegOrg for local chamber of commerce site.  Not being used by official gov't site yet
15:11:48 <fadmaa> BartvanLeeuwen: where should question re. ontology go?
15:11:54 <BartvanLeeuwen> ack me
15:11:55 <fadmaa> PhilA: public comment mailing list
15:12:12 <bhyland> Topic: Quick update on Org Vocab
15:12:23 <bhyland> … by DaveReynolds
15:12:24 <PhilA> The public mailing list for comments on our deliverables is public-gld-comments@w3.org
15:12:36 <fadmaa> DaveReynolds: we captured issues particularly from provenance group. next step to me is to look at them and propose resolutions
15:14:20 <fadmaa> bhyland: we have lost some people in this working group including Michael Hausenblas
15:14:56 <PhilA> topic: What do individuals want to get out of the WG?
15:15:07 <fadmaa> bhyland: let's see what people like to see things done from our charter in the remaining next 5 months
15:16:00 <fadmaa> agipap: I find the Best practices document very helpful
15:16:43 <fadmaa> agipap: it already helped us in our work and we finished a publication with its help recently
15:17:20 <fadmaa> BartvanLeeuwen: I'd like to see the vocabularies we worked on in practice. I have done some work along this lines
15:17:51 <fadmaa> BartvanLeeuwen: I think the best practice document should come from the results and lessons of putting things (vocabularies) in use
15:18:32 <Zakim> -DaveReynolds
15:19:01 <fadmaa> BenediktKaempgen: Data Cube vocabulary is my focus. it is related to my PhD topic and a number of projects we are working on
15:19:32 <james> james has joined #gld
15:19:34 <Zakim> +??P1
15:19:46 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call?
15:19:46 <Zakim> On the phone I see bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, BenediktKaempgen, HadleyBeeman, fadmaa (muted), ??P14, PhilA, Sandro, agipap, Mike_Pendleton, olyerickson (muted), DaveReynolds
15:19:50 <fadmaa> BenediktKaempgen: I'd love to see the Data Cube vocabulary as a standard.
15:20:00 <Zakim> +[IPcaller]
15:20:21 <james> zakim, [IPcaller] is me
15:20:21 <Zakim> +james; got it
15:20:24 <fadmaa> BenediktKaempgen: I sent an email today to the list including usecases for Data Cube vocabulary. Would love to see this published a s note
15:20:37 <fadmaa> s/a s /as a/
15:21:39 <fadmaa> bhyland: is there a (reference) implementation using Data Cube vocabulary as part of these projects?
15:22:09 <fadmaa> BenediktKaempgen: it is being used in a number of projects and we publish data using it. not sure I call this a reference implementation
15:22:18 <PhilA> q+
15:23:11 <DaveReynolds> we don't have "nothing" on QB, there are lots of public uses of it already
15:23:37 <fadmaa> bhyland: I encourage you  and all to share the work they are doing with the vocabularies even if the work is not perfect (yet)
15:25:32 <bhyland> All - please consider submission to:
15:25:33 <bhyland> European Data Forum 2013 - Call for Contribution
15:25:33 <bhyland> 	1.	9-10 April 2013 in Dublin, Ireland. Submissions should be sent via mail to: edf2013@data-forum.eu
15:25:33 <bhyland> 	2.	The deadline for submissions is: 22nd Feb 2013, 02.00pm CET
15:25:33 <bhyland> 	3.	Details on the Call for Contribution: http://bit.ly/EDF2013-CfC
15:26:28 <PhilA> q-
15:26:31 <fadmaa> bhyland: my focus is to get the best practice document done
15:26:42 <fadmaa> bhyland: hope to have this done in January
15:27:06 <fadmaa> bhyland: would like to see a better version of the community directory
15:27:13 <gatemezi> gatemezi has joined #gld
15:27:16 <sandro> DaveReynolds, is there a list of places of QB?    I'm thinking this WG should be tracking such things, if someone else isn't.
15:27:31 <PhilA> Just a nod to BenediktKaempgen that the subject of XBRL keeps coming up at W3C. If we get anywhere near something concrete, I'll let you know. It's been around for years and we keep dancing round each other
15:27:35 <sandro> s/of QB/using QB/
15:28:18 <fadmaa> DaveReynolds: my main interest is on the vocabulary side, particularly Data Cube
15:29:06 <fadmaa> DaveReynolds: giving the existing usage and adoption of Data Cube I'd be catious about introducing major changes
15:29:14 <fadmaa> s/catious/cautious/
15:29:15 <fadmaa> Zakim, unmute me
15:29:15 <Zakim> fadmaa should no longer be muted
15:29:43 <danbri> [aside] re XBRL, I was asked about Financial vocab extensions for schema.org last week ... nothing planned short-term unless there is some interest
15:29:45 <fadmaa> Zakim, mute me
15:29:45 <Zakim> fadmaa should now be muted
15:29:57 <sandro> gatemezi ?
15:30:00 <BenediktKaempgen> Thanks, PhilA. Currently, we are again participating in the XBRL challenge. So, great to hear that it also is interesting for W3C.
15:30:02 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call?
15:30:02 <Zakim> On the phone I see bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, BenediktKaempgen, HadleyBeeman, fadmaa (muted), ??P14, PhilA, Sandro, agipap, Mike_Pendleton, olyerickson (muted), DaveReynolds, james
15:30:03 <fadmaa> fadmaa: mainly dcat and the best practice document
15:30:12 <HadleyBeeman> danbri, how do you define "some interest"?
15:30:12 <sandro> gatemezi, are you on the phone?
15:31:04 <fadmaa> HadleyBeeman: getting robust vocabularies to help producing interoperable data
15:31:13 <BenediktKaempgen> @sandro: We are collecting datasets reusing QB at:  http://wiki.planet-data.eu/web/Datasets Is that what you mean?
15:31:15 <sandro> gatemezi, ahhh.     bhyland was calling on you on the phone.  :-)
15:31:47 <danbri> HadleyBeeman ... I'm not sure! People who'll do the legwork, I guess.
15:32:01 <fadmaa> HadleyBeeman: mostly interested in supporting the publication of integrated data and cross datasets links
15:32:26 <fadmaa> HadleyBeeman: dcat and Org seem to be helpful to this goal along with the best practices
15:33:56 <fadmaa> james: initially ADMS and Org vocabularies attracted me to the WG. I am happy to contribute to their development
15:35:21 <fadmaa> james: I am most on the side of using the vocabularies (development) and can help in reviewing the specifications
15:35:36 <bhyland> … Working with non-profit, citizens to monitor local gov't.
15:36:01 <HadleyBeeman> DanBri: thanks.  That helps me get a sense of what you need.
15:36:14 <sandro> BenediktKaempgen, yes, that's exactly what I was asking about, I think.....
15:36:30 <fadmaa> Mike_Pendleton: EPA and other federal agencies would be most interested in the best pratice documents
15:36:43 <olyerickson> zakim, unmute me.
15:36:43 <Zakim> olyerickson should no longer be muted
15:36:44 <fadmaa> Mike_Pendleton: the glossary and community directory are also very helpful
15:38:00 <fadmaa> olyerickson: the WG has been amazing so far. In the context of best practices, we have identified a number of vocabularies that people can use
15:38:24 <fadmaa> olyerickson: I'd like to see a sustainable artifacts. In the sense that they hold up over time
15:38:38 <bhyland> olyerickson: Researcher/RPI.  When we started, we aspired to produce BP for gov't agencies/researchers/companies who want to participate in this ecosystem. In 5 mos., I'd like to see sustainable artifacts that are used by practitioners.
15:39:17 <fadmaa> olyerickson: that can be by providing artifacts that are general to an extent they remain useful but not too general to the extent that makes them useless
15:39:56 <Zakim> -olyerickson
15:39:59 <olyerickson> shoot
15:40:40 <fadmaa> PhilA: Sandro and me are mainly to help facilitate the WG work
15:41:16 <Zakim> +[IPcaller]
15:41:28 <Zakim> + +2134010aadd
15:41:31 <olyerickson> zaqkim, [ipcaller] is me.
15:41:43 <HadleyBeeman> +1 to seeing the religious wars between linked data and other forms of open data broken down
15:41:44 <olyerickson> zakim, [ipcaller] is me.
15:41:44 <Zakim> +olyerickson; got it
15:41:57 <olyerickson> "Chasm..." hmmm
15:42:55 <olyerickson> Curious about this religious war...
15:43:26 <Makx_Dekkers> Makx_Dekkers has joined #gld
15:43:51 <fadmaa> sandro:  also mainly to help facilitating the WG functioing and promote the W3C work
15:43:56 <Makx_Dekkers> hi sorry to be late
15:44:30 <fadmaa> sandro: interested in vocabularies and enhancing their standing in getting adopted
15:45:01 <gatemezi> s/functioing/functioning
15:48:00 <fadmaa> Makx_Dekkers: I worked previously on ADMS. for me  refining and having the support for ADMS is a success for the WG
15:48:22 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call?
15:48:22 <Zakim> On the phone I see bhyland, BartvanLeeuwen, BenediktKaempgen, HadleyBeeman, fadmaa (muted), ??P14, PhilA, Sandro, agipap, Mike_Pendleton, DaveReynolds, james, olyerickson,
15:48:25 <Zakim> ... +2134010aadd
15:48:55 <fadmaa> Zakim, aadd is Makx_Dekkers
15:48:55 <Zakim> +Makx_Dekkers; got it
15:49:54 <fadmaa> bhyland: people who are not on the call are encouraged to email the group of their wishes for the deliverables in the next 5 months
15:50:36 <fadmaa> bhyland: so far based on the poll about attending the F2F meeting we have 15-a7 people so far
15:50:49 <fadmaa> TOPIC: second F2F meeting
15:51:07 <bhyland> q?
15:51:12 <BenediktKaempgen> Hoping to come, looking forward to it.
15:51:32 <Makx_Dekkers> planning to be there
15:51:41 <HadleyBeeman> Should be there
15:52:14 <fadmaa> bhyland: giving that the meeting is just a month before the end of our charter, please plan for the meeting and think how
15:52:14 <gatemezi> Should be there
15:52:22 <fadmaa> ... to make use of our time there
15:52:51 <bhyland> Topic: EU Data Forum 2013
15:52:53 <Makx_Dekkers> probably not able to attend the Forum
15:53:06 <bhyland> The big conference for EU open data projects.
15:53:18 <fadmaa> PhilA: European Data Forum 2012 was a success... in this year also there will be a good number of projects, practitioners... I encourage people to go there
15:54:22 <sandro> everyone should double-check https://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/users/my
15:54:39 <DaveReynolds> Most issues are listed as "raised" rather than "open" but yes, I know all the ones that affect me :)
15:54:43 <olyerickson> I'm on
15:54:53 <bhyland> @Sandro … is that a no so subtle hint? ;-)
15:55:15 <bhyland> When I look at my tracker, i see 10 items with my name...
15:55:25 <fadmaa> PhilA: danbri mentioned an extension to schema.org about dataset
15:55:42 <bhyland> Topic: Schema.org datasets extent
15:55:43 <PhilA> schema.org Datasets extension, see http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Datasets
15:55:46 <fadmaa> PhilA: it is similar to DCAT and ADMS and it is an important thing to keep an eye on
15:56:02 <bhyland> Per olyerickson, heavily influenced by DCAT
15:56:08 <sandro> q+
15:56:22 <fadmaa> olyerickson: the Dataset extension to schema.org is heavily influenced by DCAT
15:56:46 <bhyland> … semi-open process, there is transparent process but ultimately search engines make final call
15:57:06 <fadmaa> ... the extension mechanism of schema.org requires showing feasibility and usefulness of the extension before being adopted
15:57:09 <bhyland> … primary work done by Joshua @ RPI
15:57:44 <bhyland> … recommend people in this group monitor the public list for schema.org.
15:57:46 <PhilA> Relevant mailing list is public-vocabs@w3.org
15:57:52 <bhyland> ta
15:58:23 <bhyland> … vendors & gov't data publishers & consumers should all be paying attention to this as it evolves, and contribute!
15:59:20 <BartvanLeeuwen> q?
16:00:49 <fadmaa> sandro: this group is charted to advice the world about consensus regarding what vocabularies peole should use. I'm still concerned about what to recommend DCAT or schema.org extension
16:01:02 <fadmaa> s/peole/people/
16:01:05 <bhyland> sandro: This group is chartered to reflect the worldwide consensus on what gov't publishers  should use to mark up their content
16:01:25 <bhyland> … or ADMS or something else.
16:02:13 <PhilA> q+
16:02:46 <bhyland> WG members options that gov publishers should use — it shouldn't be exclusive, rather inclusive.   Discussed RDFa Lite v1.1 to decorate their pages …
16:02:50 <Zakim> -Makx_Dekkers
16:02:59 <fadmaa> olyerickson: I think people should use DCAT to publish their catalogs. they also need to use light RDFa to annotate their web pages. Using schema.org allows major search engines to index the structured data embedded
16:03:09 <bhyland> ping - we're outta' time
16:03:18 <PhilA> q-
16:03:22 <sandro> q-
16:03:29 <fadmaa> olyerickson: the techniques are not exclusive in my opinion
16:04:13 <DaveReynolds> +1 to Sandro's comments, group will eventually have to give clear advice and there is an apparent conflict here
16:04:18 <olyerickson> "RDFa Lite"
16:04:18 <Zakim> -Mike_Pendleton
16:04:19 <Zakim> -??P14
16:04:23 <DaveReynolds> DaveReynolds has left #gld
16:04:24 <olyerickson> Thanks everyone
16:04:24 <fadmaa> Zakim, unmute me
16:04:26 <Zakim> fadmaa should no longer be muted
16:04:26 <Zakim> -HadleyBeeman
16:04:26 <Zakim> -james
16:04:27 <Zakim> -PhilA
16:04:29 <BenediktKaempgen> Thanks bhyland!
16:04:30 <Zakim> -DaveReynolds
16:04:30 <Zakim> -olyerickson
16:04:32 <PhilA> PhilA has left #gld
16:04:32 <Zakim> -Sandro
16:04:33 <olyerickson> olyerickson has left #gld
16:04:34 <Zakim> -BartvanLeeuwen
16:04:35 <Zakim> + +3858965aaee
16:04:40 <Zakim> -BenediktKaempgen
16:04:44 <Zakim> -fadmaa
16:04:45 <Zakim> -bhyland
16:04:46 <Zakim> -agipap
16:04:53 <bhyland> Thanks everyone
16:04:54 <agipap> agipap has left #gld
16:05:13 <Makx> Makx has joined #gld
16:05:55 <bhyland> rrsagent, set logs world-visible
16:06:02 <bhyland> rrsagent, generate minutes
16:06:02 <RRSAgent> I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2013/01/10-gld-minutes.html bhyland
16:06:26 <bhyland> @Fadmaa - over to you now to publish.  If you have any questions, please ask.
16:06:30 <bhyland> Thank you for scribing!
16:08:12 <fadmaa> rrsagent, generate minutes
16:08:12 <RRSAgent> I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2013/01/10-gld-minutes.html fadmaa
16:11:37 <gatemezi> gatemezi has left #gld
16:12:16 <bhyland> Thank you Fadi, looks good
# SPECIAL MARKER FOR CHATSYNC.  DO NOT EDIT THIS LINE OR BELOW.  SRCLINESUSED=00000286