Chatlog 2012-04-26

From Government Linked Data (GLD) Working Group Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

See original RRSAgent log or preview nicely formatted version.

Please justify/explain all edits to this page, in your "edit summary" text.

13:59:08 <RRSAgent> RRSAgent has joined #gld
13:59:08 <RRSAgent> logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/04/26-gld-irc
13:59:33 <Zakim> Zakim has joined #gld
13:59:36 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call?
13:59:36 <Zakim> sorry, bhyland, I don't know what conference this is
13:59:37 <Zakim> On IRC I see RRSAgent, gatemezi, boris, BartvanLeeuwen, MacTed, cygri, bhyland, trackbot, sandro
13:59:54 <sandro> trackbot, start meeting
13:59:56 <trackbot> RRSAgent, make logs world
13:59:58 <sandro> RRSAgent, this is gld
13:59:58 <RRSAgent> I'm logging. I don't understand 'this is gld', sandro.  Try /msg RRSAgent help
13:59:58 <trackbot> Zakim, this will be GLD
13:59:59 <Zakim> ok, trackbot, I see T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM already started
13:59:59 <trackbot> Meeting: Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference
14:00:00 <trackbot> Date: 26 April 2012
14:00:03 <martinAlvarez> martinAlvarez has joined #gld
14:00:06 <bhyland> zakim, who is on the call?
14:00:06 <Zakim> On the phone I see +33.4.93.00.aaaa, bhyland, BenediktKaempgen
14:00:06 <sandro> Zakim, who is on the call?
14:00:06 <Zakim> On the phone I see +33.4.93.00.aaaa, bhyland, BenediktKaempgen
14:00:10 <BenediktKaempgen> BenediktKaempgen has joined #gld
14:00:20 <Zakim> +??P6
14:00:26 <BenediktKaempgen> zakim, who's here?
14:00:26 <Zakim> On the phone I see +33.4.93.00.aaaa, bhyland, BenediktKaempgen, ??P6
14:00:28 <martinAlvarez> zakim, p6 is me
14:00:31 <Zakim> On IRC I see BenediktKaempgen, martinAlvarez, Zakim, RRSAgent, gatemezi, boris, BartvanLeeuwen, MacTed, cygri, bhyland, trackbot, sandro
14:00:32 <gatemezi> Scribe: Ghislain
14:00:37 <Zakim> sorry, martinAlvarez, I do not recognize a party named 'p6'
14:00:40 <gatemezi> Chair: Bernadette
14:00:49 <martinAlvarez> zakim, ??p6 is me
14:00:53 <Zakim> +Sandro
14:00:54 <bhyland> zakim, aaaa is gatemezi
14:00:56 <Zakim> +martinAlvarez; got it
14:01:01 <martinAlvarez> zakim, mute me
14:01:02 <Zakim> +gatemezi; got it
14:01:09 <Zakim> martinAlvarez should now be muted
14:01:11 <gatemezi> Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20120426
14:01:15 <olyerickson> olyerickson has joined #gld
14:01:23 <gatemezi> Zakim, who's here?
14:01:30 <Zakim> On the phone I see gatemezi, bhyland, BenediktKaempgen, martinAlvarez (muted), Sandro
14:01:44 <Zakim> On IRC I see olyerickson, BenediktKaempgen, martinAlvarez, Zakim, RRSAgent, gatemezi, boris, BartvanLeeuwen, MacTed, cygri, bhyland, trackbot, sandro
14:01:56 <Zakim> +??P17
14:02:03 <gatemezi> rrsagent, make records public
14:02:07 <boris> zakim, ??P17 is me
14:02:07 <Zakim> +boris; got it
14:02:14 <Zakim> +??P19
14:02:25 <BartvanLeeuwen> zakim, ??p19 is me
14:02:25 <Zakim> +BartvanLeeuwen; got it
14:02:28 <Zakim> + +1.518.276.aabb
14:02:36 <olyerickson> zakim, I am aabb
14:02:36 <Zakim> +olyerickson; got it
14:02:57 <olyerickson> zakim, who is on the phone?
14:03:02 <Zakim> On the phone I see gatemezi, bhyland, BenediktKaempgen, martinAlvarez (muted), Sandro, boris, BartvanLeeuwen, olyerickson
14:03:12 <Zakim> + +1.440.389.aacc
14:03:18 <olyerickson> zakim, mute me.
14:03:18 <Zakim> olyerickson should now be muted
14:03:20 <HadleyBeeman> HadleyBeeman has joined #gld
14:03:28 <bhyland> Regrets: Tina_Gheen, Yigal_Arens, Michael_Pendleton, Michael_Hausenblas, Luis_Bermudez
14:03:32 <PhilA2> PhilA2 has joined #gld
14:03:53 <sandro> sandro has changed the topic to: Government Linked Data (GLD) WG -- http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20120426
14:05:10 <Zakim> +GeraldSteeman
14:06:05 <sandro> sandro has changed the topic to: Government Linked Data (GLD) WG -- http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20120426
14:06:19 <gatemezi> Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20120426
14:06:54 <gatemezi> Topic: Minutes http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-04-19
14:07:20 <martinAlvarez> +1
14:07:23 <boris> +º
14:07:25 <boris> +1
14:07:29 <BenediktKaempgen> +1 minutes
14:07:29 <gatemezi> +1
14:07:55 <gatemezi> Approved last minutes
14:08:20 <bhyland> 10-May-2012 telecon is cancelled
14:08:20 <bhyland> 06-June-2012 telecon is cancelled
14:09:04 <PhilA2> PhilA2 has left #gld
14:09:05 <gatemezi> bhyland:  Someone wants to add something in today agenda?
14:10:10 <gatemezi> Topic: Procurement
14:10:20 <Zakim> + +91.80.67.84.aadd
14:11:13 <HadleyBeeman> q+
14:11:14 <gatemezi> bhyland: In USA, it is a big deal with procurement, specially with researchers ...
14:11:32 <bhyland> zakim, aadd is Biplav
14:11:32 <Zakim> +Biplav; got it
14:12:41 <gatemezi> ???: In NASA they do basic operation, they do have contract, but don't have flexibility 
14:13:07 <Biplav> Biplav has joined #gld
14:13:39 <gatemezi> s/???/Joe
14:15:10 <gatemezi> bhyland: Who's the target audience of our ComDir? Need broader discussion on the target audience...
14:15:32 <olyerickson> zakim, unmute me.
14:15:32 <Zakim> olyerickson should no longer be muted
14:15:36 <bhyland> q?
14:15:41 <bhyland> ack HadleyBeeman
14:16:29 <sandro> q+
14:17:46 <gatemezi> HadleyBeeman: gives some highlighgts in the UK context....
14:18:47 <HadleyBeeman> Having that "w3c thing to point to" would certainly help expand the market of contractors who can help with linked data.
14:19:27 <bhyland> q?
14:19:31 <bhyland> ack sandro
14:19:34 <sandro> q-
14:19:53 <sandro> zakim, who is on the call?
14:19:53 <Zakim> On the phone I see gatemezi, bhyland, BenediktKaempgen, martinAlvarez (muted), Sandro, boris, BartvanLeeuwen, olyerickson, +1.440.389.aacc, GeraldSteeman, Biplav
14:20:02 <HadleyBeeman> zakim, aacc is me
14:20:02 <Zakim> +HadleyBeeman; got it
14:20:43 <olyerickson> +1 to "standard deck" idea...
14:21:15 <Biplav> q+
14:21:44 <olyerickson> ** there are 100's (now) slideshows on "Linked Data" but very few that will be useful for the target audience we're speaking of
14:22:15 <gatemezi> bhyland: Vocabs, BP, etc...begin to have interests.. It could be great to have a book for developers (LD)
14:22:58 <olyerickson> "Gov't Linked Data for Dummies" (or Managers...same thing)
14:23:13 <olyerickson> LOL
14:23:16 <olyerickson> I'm qualifie
14:23:20 <bhyland> q?
14:24:22 <bhyland> Biplav: In Western countries "Open Gov't Data is seen as a way of energizing the economy…" Another benefit that other other parts of the world are looking at are accountability and dealing with corruption.
14:24:58 <bhyland> … Thinking about securing economic growth is a very important concept for countries like India and China, Biplav imagines.
14:25:32 <bhyland> … Hurdle is not about technology, rather, about policy.  There aren't many resources / guidance for what to open up...
14:25:33 <gatemezi> Biplav: we could deal also the policy issue..e.g: India
14:26:29 <gatemezi> Biplav: The national policy should be the first in place...but it is not yet present...
14:26:39 <bhyland> … Policy should be the first thing, then technology and best practices would definitely help.  It turns out that procurement is one of the most common and not surprisingly, most prone to corruption.
14:28:56 <HadleyBeeman> +1 to providing examples with their own data
14:29:52 <bhyland> … Corruption is very well documented, all the way to the UN level.  Streamlined procurement and addressing corruption.
14:30:04 <bhyland> q?
14:30:08 <bhyland> ack Biplav
14:30:55 <bhyland> eGov IG is a good place to speak about policy … Jeanne Holm and Tomaz the new co-chair … good place to participate.
14:31:55 <gatemezi> eGov IG URL: http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/Main_Page
14:32:23 <bhyland> W3C sites (using WP) launched in 2011 has: 
14:32:23 <bhyland> 1) http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
14:32:23 <bhyland>  
14:32:23 <bhyland> 2) http://www.w3.org/standards/semanticweb/data
14:32:24 <bhyland> W3C catalyst in the catalyst of communities
14:32:28 <bhyland> 3) W3C Community and Business Groups, see http://www.w3.org/community/
14:32:33 <bhyland> http://www.w3.org/community/about/
14:32:44 <PhilA2> PhilA2 has joined #gld
14:33:22 <Zakim> -olyerickson
14:33:44 <Zakim> +??P14
14:33:54 <PhilA2> zakim, ??P14 is me
14:33:54 <Zakim> +PhilA2; got it
14:34:08 <gatemezi> Topic: W3C sites launched:
14:34:12 <Zakim> +olyerickson
14:34:45 <bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Rhizomer
14:36:43 <bhyland> Sandro: Overall structure of W3C includes Working Groups (heavy commitment) .. on the other end of the spectrum, are lighter commitment groups, "Community Group"
14:38:10 <gatemezi> sandro: gives the difference between "Incubator gorups", "community group" and "working group"
14:38:20 <bhyland> Sandro: There are about 80 Community Groups.  It has replaced the incubator group that lead to the Provenance Group, for example.  The Community Groups do not have W3C professional staff associated with them.
14:39:32 <BartvanLeeuwen> q+
14:39:33 <sandro> http://www.w3.org/community/about/#bg
14:39:35 <bhyland> Sandro: W3C Business Groups are heavier weight, there is a cost associated with them.  There is professional support associated with them.
14:39:45 <bhyland> They don't produce standards.
14:39:52 <bhyland> Patent policy is different.
14:40:00 <gatemezi> sandro: "Business Group" is cheaper than W3C...They don't make standards..
14:40:09 <bhyland> Some businesses won't join a group unless the patent policy is "just right".
14:40:47 <sandro> http://www.w3.org/community/groups/
14:41:17 <bhyland> PhilA: The reason for the business group is to provide social engineering with a vertical focus.  
14:42:41 <bhyland> They don't have a strong link with W3C .. a way for W3C to become more visible and relevant.
14:44:16 <gatemezi> Topic: ComDir
14:44:29 <bhyland> Topic: Adding companies, products to the W3C Semantic Media Wiki site: http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/
14:46:25 <bhyland> Sandro: Has a lot of data but some people consider it a restrictive to enter.
14:46:28 <bhyland> Under http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Main_Page
14:46:37 <BenediktKaempgen> Or Maybe: http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Special:Categories
14:47:50 <olyerickson> q+
14:47:51 <gatemezi> bhyland: how do we make the ComDir better? We can use the sw wiki and connect to our work
14:48:53 <bhyland> There is a listing of tools on the W3C semantic web wiki page: see http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Category:Tool
14:49:42 <bhyland> Topic: New Startup Member W3C category. 
14:49:52 <BenediktKaempgen> q+
14:50:08 <BartvanLeeuwen> ack me
14:50:20 <bhyland> ack olyerickson
14:50:26 <HadleyBeeman> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/fees-201202
14:50:36 <bhyland> Topic: Community Directory (return to)
14:50:53 <bhyland> Goal is to make the Community Directory more usable.
14:51:11 <bhyland> and friendly, usable to more stakeholders.
14:52:58 <PhilA2> Fees for Dutch companies. I was wrong, Sandro was right, it's ¤2K for start ups http://www.w3.org/Consortium/fees?country=Netherlands&quarter=04-01&year=2012#results
14:52:58 <bhyland> Olyerickson: There are things that may or may not be done with the bit 3 search engines.
14:53:15 <sandro> BartvanLeeuwen, see http://www.w3.org/Consortium/fees-201202#startup and http://www.w3.org/Consortium/fees?country=Netherlands&quarter=04-01&year=2012#results      It's EUR 1950.
14:53:46 <bhyland> Olyerickson: What can we do to surface the data using RDFa, microformats, schema.org
14:54:07 <sandro> q?
14:54:14 <bhyland> +1
14:54:26 <sandro> q+ usability
14:54:29 <BartvanLeeuwen> +1
14:54:47 <sandro> q- usability
14:54:54 <sandro> q+ to say usability is king
14:55:51 <gatemezi> Zakim, who's is here?
14:55:51 <Zakim> sorry, gatemezi, I do not understand your question
14:56:00 <bhyland> olyerickson: We need to make the CD found by everyone interested in best practices, vocabs and anything else we produce to serve this community.
14:56:05 <gatemezi> Zakim, who's here?
14:56:05 <Zakim> On the phone I see gatemezi, bhyland, BenediktKaempgen, martinAlvarez (muted), Sandro, boris, BartvanLeeuwen, HadleyBeeman, GeraldSteeman, Biplav, PhilA2, olyerickson
14:56:09 <Zakim> On IRC I see PhilA2, Biplav, HadleyBeeman, olyerickson, BenediktKaempgen, martinAlvarez, Zakim, RRSAgent, gatemezi, boris, BartvanLeeuwen, MacTed, cygri, bhyland, trackbot, sandro
14:56:27 <sandro> +10000
14:56:57 <sandro> +1 sw/wiki is not a very use friendly site
14:57:08 <gatemezi> BenediktKaempgen: sw tool is not a useful and friendly tool
14:57:42 <bhyland> q?
14:57:46 <bhyland> q+
14:57:57 <bhyland> ack BenediktKaempgen
14:58:03 <bhyland> ack sandro
14:58:03 <Zakim> sandro, you wanted to say usability is king
14:58:36 <HadleyBeeman> +1 to Sandro:  usability is more important than semantic analysis (where we have to choose)
14:58:42 <gatemezi> Sandro: The key thing with ComDir is usability...not really the technology behind 
14:58:46 <bhyland> Sandro: I don't think any sem web technologies are relevant per se, rather the content & usability is key.  Focus must be on usability.
14:59:04 <bhyland> The most usable site is one that has data that can be exported.
14:59:09 <HadleyBeeman> +1 to Sandro:  usability is more important than semantic analysis (where we have to choose) — for this situation (the community directory)
14:59:45 <gatemezi> olyerickson: ComDir could be also focused on the users...
14:59:52 <gatemezi> +1 to Sandro point...
15:00:12 <gatemezi> Zakim, who's here?
15:00:12 <Zakim> On the phone I see gatemezi, bhyland, BenediktKaempgen, martinAlvarez (muted), Sandro, boris, BartvanLeeuwen, HadleyBeeman, GeraldSteeman, Biplav, PhilA2, olyerickson
15:00:15 <Zakim> On IRC I see PhilA2, Biplav, HadleyBeeman, olyerickson, BenediktKaempgen, martinAlvarez, Zakim, RRSAgent, gatemezi, boris, BartvanLeeuwen, MacTed, cygri, bhyland, trackbot, sandro
15:00:31 <sandro> sandro: ... but we do need to make sure the data is always available for export, so people can make other interfaces to it.
15:00:38 <bhyland> q?
15:00:43 <bhyland> ack bhyland
15:00:47 <BenediktKaempgen> +1 for focusing on the content and nost on the usabilit mostly
15:01:43 <gatemezi> bhyland: It has been a useful discussion... Need volunteers for ComDir
15:01:55 <gatemezi> Topic: Announcement
15:02:33 <bhyland> Open Gov't Transparency Conference in DC run by Sunlight Foundation
15:02:49 <Zakim> -GeraldSteeman
15:02:59 <Zakim> -olyerickson
15:03:01 <BartvanLeeuwen> thx bye
15:03:02 <Zakim> -PhilA2
15:03:03 <BenediktKaempgen> Thanks!
15:03:03 <Zakim> -Biplav
15:03:10 <Zakim> -martinAlvarez
15:03:14 <Zakim> -BenediktKaempgen
15:03:14 <martinAlvarez> martinAlvarez has left #gld
15:03:17 <Zakim> -BartvanLeeuwen
15:03:21 <Zakim> -HadleyBeeman
15:04:14 <gatemezi> RRSAgent, set logs world-visible
15:04:34 <gatemezi> RRSAgent, generate minutes
15:04:34 <RRSAgent> I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/04/26-gld-minutes.html gatemezi
15:04:58 <Zakim> -boris
# SPECIAL MARKER FOR CHATSYNC.  DO NOT EDIT THIS LINE OR BELOW.  SRCLINESUSED=00000217