Chatlog 2011-09-29

From Government Linked Data (GLD) Working Group Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

See original RRSAgent log or preview nicely formatted version.

Please justify/explain all edits to this page, in your "edit summary" text.

13:51:14 <RRSAgent> RRSAgent has joined #gld
13:51:14 <RRSAgent> logging to http://www.w3.org/2011/09/29-gld-irc
13:51:54 <csarven> Meeting: Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference
13:52:10 <csarven> trackbot-ng, start telcon
13:52:12 <trackbot> RRSAgent, make logs world
13:52:14 <trackbot> Zakim, this will be EGOV_GLD
13:52:14 <Zakim> I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
13:52:15 <trackbot> Meeting: Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference
13:52:15 <trackbot> Date: 29 September 2011
13:53:07 <csarven> Zakim, list conferences
13:53:07 <Zakim> I see Team_(epub)13:00Z, WAI_ERTWG(Eval TF)10:00AM, W3C_WSTAR()9:30AM, T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM active
13:53:10 <Zakim> also scheduled at this time are Team_Comm(CGBG)9:00AM, Math_IG()10:00AM, INC_LLDXG()10:00AM, IA_WebApps(Widgets)9:00AM, MM_MMI(EMMA)10:00AM, SW_RDFa()10:00AM, Team_(dnt)14:00Z,
13:53:12 <Zakim> ... WF_TF()9:00AM, UW_POI(POIWG)10:00AM, Team_Global(review)8:00AM, UW_UWA()9:00AM, WAI_PFWG(AAPI)10:00AM, XML_PMWG()10:00AM
13:53:30 <csarven> Zakim, This is T&S_GLDWG()
13:53:30 <Zakim> ok, csarven; that matches T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM
13:53:46 <olyerickson> zakim, who is on the phone? 
13:53:46 <Zakim> On the phone I see olyerickson
13:54:05 <olyerickson> zakim, you are a genius...
13:54:05 <Zakim> I don't understand 'you are a genius', olyerickson
13:54:23 <olyerickson> zakim, what conference is this? 
13:54:23 <Zakim> this is T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM conference code 45394
13:55:09 <rreck> rreck has joined #gld
13:55:57 <gatemezi> gatemezi has joined #gld
13:56:01 <Zakim> +mhausenblas
13:56:16 <Zakim> + +1.757.864.aaaa
13:56:48 <csarven> Zakim, mhausenblas is me
13:56:48 <Zakim> +csarven; got it
13:57:05 <Zakim> + +1.703.292.aabb
13:57:14 <TinaGheen> TinaGheen has joined #gld
13:57:55 <csarven> Chair: Bernadette Hyland
13:58:00 <csarven> Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.09.29
13:58:10 <csarven> Chair: bhyland
13:58:51 <csarven> Scribe: Sarven Capadisli
13:58:58 <csarven> ScribeNick: csarven
13:59:33 <Zakim> + +1.202.566.aacc
13:59:52 <gatemezi> zakim, who is here?
13:59:52 <Zakim> On the phone I see olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, +1.757.864.aaaa, +1.703.292.aabb, +1.202.566.aacc
13:59:52 <Zakim> On IRC I see TinaGheen, gatemezi, rreck, RRSAgent, Zakim, olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, cygri, danbri, trackbot, sandro
14:00:41 <gatemezi> hi all...
14:00:59 <bellows> bellows has joined #gld
14:01:16 <Zakim> +ZacharyWhitley
14:01:30 <Zakim> + +1.218.296.aadd
14:01:37 <annew> annew has joined #gld
14:01:38 <MichaelPendleton> MichaelPendleton has joined #gld
14:01:44 <rreck> zakim, +1.218.296.aadd is me
14:01:44 <Zakim> +rreck; got it
14:01:48 <Zakim> +Sandro
14:01:49 <rreck> zakim, mute me
14:01:49 <Zakim> rreck should now be muted
14:01:53 <olyerickson> +1 to stating our names...
14:02:02 <Zakim> + +1.202.691.aaee
14:02:45 <bellows> bellows has left #gld
14:03:20 <Zakim> +??P44
14:03:26 <ZacharyWhitley> ZacharyWhitley has joined #gld
14:03:29 <csarven> bhyland: Welcome everybody
14:03:42 <rreck> inflamatory aside, i wonder how to elicit truthful comments
14:03:59 <csarven> bhyland: Please identify yourselves before speaking
14:04:30 <gatemezi> zakim, who is here?
14:04:30 <Zakim> On the phone I see olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, +1.757.864.aaaa, TinaGheen, +1.202.566.aacc, ZacharyWhitley, rreck (muted), Sandro, +1.202.691.aaee, ??P44
14:04:31 <GeraldSteeman> GeraldSteeman has joined #gld
14:04:34 <Zakim> On IRC I see ZacharyWhitley, MichaelPendleton, annew, TinaGheen, gatemezi, rreck, RRSAgent, Zakim, olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, cygri, danbri, trackbot, sandro
14:04:44 <ZacharyWhitley> zakim, who's here?
14:04:44 <Zakim> On the phone I see olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, +1.757.864.aaaa, TinaGheen, +1.202.566.aacc, ZacharyWhitley, rreck (muted), Sandro, +1.202.691.aaee, ??P44
14:04:49 <Zakim> On IRC I see GeraldSteeman, ZacharyWhitley, MichaelPendleton, annew, TinaGheen, gatemezi, rreck, RRSAgent, Zakim, olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, cygri, danbri, trackbot, sandro
14:04:51 <Zakim> + +1.267.481.aaff
14:05:03 <csarven> bhyland: Let's doublecheck http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Scribes and add yourself at some point
14:05:16 <luis_bermudez> luis_bermudez has joined #gld
14:05:38 <JohnGoodwin> JohnGoodwin has joined #gld
14:05:45 <sandro> sandro has changed the topic to: Government Linked Data (GLD) WG -- http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/  -- Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.09.29
14:05:46 <csarven> bhyland: We have the infrastructure ready to go
14:06:38 <csarven> bhyland: Please add more to the agenda if we've let something out
14:06:45 <MichaelPendleton> aacc is me
14:06:56 <sandro> zakim, aacc is MichaelPendleton 
14:06:56 <Zakim> +MichaelPendleton; got it
14:07:12 <sandro> MichaelPendleton, you do need to start with "Zakim, "   :-)
14:07:30 <sandro> Zakim, aaee is DanGilman
14:07:30 <Zakim> +DanGilman; got it
14:07:33 <GeraldSteeman> 757.864.aaaa is me
14:07:44 <csarven> Zakim, aaee is DanGilman
14:07:44 <Zakim> I don't understand 'aaee is Dan Gillman', csarven
14:07:51 <sandro> Zakim, aaaa is GeraldSteeman 
14:07:51 <Zakim> +GeraldSteeman; got it
14:08:09 <csarven> PROPOSAL: Accept minutes of last meeting ( http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.09.22 )
14:08:25 <olyerickson> @csarven note that human name formats don't work; always use nicks
14:08:43 <olyerickson> +1 to accept minutes
14:08:51 <csarven> +1
14:08:56 <MichaelPendleton> +1 to accept minutes
14:09:06 <gatemezi> +1 to accept minutes
14:09:31 <JohnGoodwin> +1 but only just read them...was there last week
14:09:35 <csarven> RESOLUTION: Minutes of last meeting accepted
14:09:45 <csarven> Topic: Deliverables
14:09:48 <sandro> DanGilman: I was there last week, but not shown in minutes....
14:09:52 <csarven> Subtopic: Community Directory Summary
14:10:19 <csarven> bhyland: Good start for F2F in August
14:10:21 <olyerickson> @scarven minutes should be "accepted as amended" (re: DanGilman added to attendees)
14:10:49 <csarven> bhyland: Cleaned up the requirements
14:10:52 <bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Community_Directory_Requirements
14:10:58 <Zakim> +??P53
14:11:37 <csarven> bhyland: Moved some of the content to a new page for a new set of requirements for a community directory. All are encouraged to update.
14:12:09 <csarven> bhyland: If you need a login to http://directory.3roundstones.net let me know.
14:12:28 <rreck> email you and sandro to request editorial capability?
14:12:44 <sandro> just bhyland 
14:13:00 <olyerickson> q+
14:13:06 <csarven> bhyland: Add/modify company name or add project info. Let's get this going w/ better information.
14:13:37 <csarven> bhyland: It would be nice 52 entries because we have that many members in this WG
14:14:01 <bhyland> q?
14:14:05 <csarven> sandro: Can anyone add info about any other company/project?
14:14:31 <csarven> bhyland: I prefer to add own information, but stubs are welcome
14:15:20 <csarven> sandro: Let's identify stubs and then work forward from there. Sort of like a good TODO
14:15:37 <GeraldSteeman> +1 on stub idea
14:16:30 <stk> stk has joined #gld
14:16:50 <MichaelPendleton> what user name/password should we be using to edit entries in the Community Directory?
14:17:02 <csarven> bhyland: We can use a CNAME for http://directory.3roundstones.net to make it look like a W3, that'd be fine.
14:18:04 <csarven> bhyland: There are some useful/neat features for the community directory data. Minor reflection of the reality.
14:18:38 <csarven> bhyland: e.g., who provides ontology development
14:19:00 <bhyland> q?
14:19:56 <sandro> q+
14:20:11 <csarven> olyerickson: Did you mean we need to provide credentials for the login? Which role do I use to add info?
14:20:34 <bhyland> That is John Erickson (olyerickson) speaking from RPI
14:20:57 <sandro> ack olyerickson 
14:20:57 <stk> zakim, who is here
14:20:58 <Zakim> stk, you need to end that query with '?'
14:21:06 <stk> zakim, who is here?
14:21:06 <Zakim> On the phone I see olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, GeraldSteeman, TinaGheen, MichaelPendleton, ZacharyWhitley, rreck (muted), Sandro, DanGilman, ??P44, +1.267.481.aaff, ??P53
14:21:10 <Zakim> On IRC I see stk, JohnGoodwin, GeraldSteeman, ZacharyWhitley, MichaelPendleton, annew, TinaGheen, gatemezi, rreck, RRSAgent, Zakim, olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, cygri, danbri,
14:21:12 <Zakim> ... trackbot, sandro
14:21:49 <csarven> olyerickson: It'd be great to let 3rd parties to update the community data
14:21:57 <sandro> q-
14:22:00 <stk> zakim, ??P53 is stk
14:22:00 <Zakim> +stk; got it
14:22:18 <bhyland> q?
14:22:22 <JohnGoodwin> csarven - was that aimed at the other John?
14:22:29 <csarven> bhyland: Agreed. Wiki way of updating would be better. Lowering the barrier.
14:23:19 <csarven> bhyland: Please update the requirements as you see fit. AND I will threaten you in the future! (guaranteed)
14:23:47 <csarven> ... :p
14:23:50 <olyerickson> +1 to adding LOL's about GLD community members ;) 
14:24:51 <csarven> bhyland: Let's make sure to document all the exciting cases out there. And get the word out for the work we are doing.
14:24:57 <csarven> Subtopic: Best Practices
14:25:02 <bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Best_Practices_Discussion_Summary
14:25:10 <olyerickson> q+
14:25:35 <csarven> olyerickson: I can talk about my questions regarding Provenance
14:25:57 <csarven> olyerickson: Trying to understand (or group consensus) where Provenance info should go.
14:26:32 <rreck> when i use provenance, it is ultimately help me determine how well i know something
14:27:17 <csarven> olyerickson: Technical aspect of vocabularies.. this might be easy for us because W3C Provenance WG has done good work that we can work with
14:27:22 <csarven> olyerickson: Any comments?
14:27:23 <bhyland> Per olyerickson's email 27-Sept-2011:
14:27:24 <bhyland> Because our mission is to provide "best practices" guidance, I would
14:27:24 <bhyland> argue there are both vocabulary "policy" components
14:27:24 <bhyland> * Vocabulary, for obvious reasons: the options available for binding
14:27:24 <bhyland> provenance data to GLD
14:27:24 <bhyland> * Policy (for lack of a better term) that guides stakeholders in
14:27:25 <bhyland> making decisions about what provenance is, its implications, how to
14:27:28 <bhyland> generate it
14:27:31 <bhyland> q?
14:27:39 <bhyland> ack olyerickson
14:27:46 <JohnGoodwin> http://open-biomed.sourceforge.net/opmv/ns.html
14:28:05 <csarven> JohnGoodwin: I've not done any work on this, but I know some people from data.gov.uk
14:28:18 <csarven> olyerickson: Where do we talk about this exactly?
14:28:45 <csarven> olyerickson: We know what's done, but where do we talk about the stuff that we are trying to create for Provenance in GLD WG.
14:29:24 <JohnGoodwin> wrong John ;)
14:29:25 <cygri> cygri has joined #gld
14:29:55 <csarven> olyerickson: Part of our discussion should be guided from high level stand point and the ..
14:30:37 <csarven> bhyland: People will look at both the actual standard as well as what the GLD WG recommends.
14:30:38 <rreck> you should and here's how sounds like a great approach
14:31:12 <olyerickson> +1 to "You shoulds" in "Best Practices," "here's how" in "Std Vocabs"
14:31:22 <csarven> bhyland: GLD WG would merely point at existing docs/groups elsewhere
14:32:05 <olyerickson> "pragmantic provenance" in "Best Practices"
14:32:05 <csarven> olyerickson: Sounds good
14:32:47 <bhyland> q?
14:33:01 <csarven> bhyland: Do we have anyone from the vocab group that would like to touch on that?
14:34:28 <rreck> i missed it too
14:34:43 <gatemezi> I suggest to have a telecon with all the vocab group to plan the work 
14:34:58 <rreck> +1 vocab telecon
14:35:13 <rreck> i didnt receive the email either, but would be interested
14:35:31 <csarven> DanGilman: Sent an email to the list, but it may have not made it
14:36:33 <Zakim> +??P6
14:37:03 <rreck> lurker
14:37:17 <annew> Anne just tried to join on zakim ekiga sip
14:37:20 <annew> I am muted
14:37:31 <sandro> zakim, ??P6 is AnneW
14:37:31 <Zakim> +AnneW; got it
14:37:33 <annew> Hey watch it!
14:37:49 <csarven> Topic: Input for "Progress of GLD WG" for Keynote at the Open Government Data Camp 2011 ( http://ogdcamp.org/ )
14:37:53 <rreck> annew: im chatting you in the other window
14:38:09 <bhyland> Workshop at Open Government Data Camp, see http://www.w3.org/blog/SW/
14:38:53 <csarven> bhyland: This is our WG Keynote, hence, you are invited to give your input/insights/feelings about the WG's progress. Lot's of people there.
14:39:14 <csarven> JohnGoodwin: I can send some slides
14:40:03 <bhyland> JohnGoodwin: Have something called UK Location Programme, within that a LD working group including Ordnance Survey & others.
14:40:25 <olyerickson> @bhyland RPI can provide slide material on LOGD, IOGDS ("Int'l Catalog") and/or Instance Hub if you wish
14:40:28 <csarven> JohnGoodwin: UK Location Programme, roughly speaking group of gov bodies for location agenda.. and within that we have agencies e.g., environment (publishes water quality.. linked to ordanenace survey)
14:40:48 <sandro> q+ 
14:41:19 <olyerickson> doh!
14:42:12 <bhyland> RE: SemTech London - per JohnGoodwin most of the good talks were from government, including Bart van Leeuwen/Amsterdam Fire Dept, Jenny and John Sheridan on National Archives ...
14:42:54 <olyerickson> RE #SemTechBiz, LDodd's preso on data quality (vs billions of triples) was good/useful
14:43:09 <annew> rreck: just loaded this sip voip software. unfamiliar with it. and don't' see a private chat
14:44:12 <gatemezi> @olyerickson: can we have a pointer of that preso?
14:44:24 <olyerickson> Yep looking...just a sec...
14:44:34 <gatemezi> TIA
14:45:01 <csarven> bhyland: Let's document what's going on out there. Email me or use the wiki.
14:45:04 <olyerickson> Leigh Dodds preso: http://www.slideshare.net/ldodds/the-rdf-report-card-beyond-the-triple-count
14:45:37 <olyerickson> that's @ldodds (talis) "beyond the triple count"
14:45:48 <csarven> bhyland: Anyone else attended London SemTechBiz?
14:45:50 <bhyland> q?
14:47:36 <bhyland> olyerickson: Leigh's point is that it isn't about a high triple count, it is about making data useful to consumers, whomever they may be.
14:47:39 <csarven> olyerickson: We should pay attention to what Kassabi folks are saying because it is about making data more consumable as opposed to having a pile of random data
14:48:59 <gatemezi> I think that data that can not derive "knowledge" is useless...
14:49:48 <csarven> sandro: Public is public
14:50:08 <csarven> Topic: Schema.org
14:50:20 <csarven> sandro: Who knows about schema.org?
14:50:20 <olyerickson> +10 to hearing about it
14:50:49 <csarven> sandro: schema.org is an effort between GYM.
14:51:20 <csarven> sandro: yahoo called it SearchMonkey, Google uses RichSnippets.. so, now there is schema.org, which is a common vocab for a much larger domain.
14:51:40 <csarven> sandro: Not necessarily talking about how it will be used but how people should make their data available.
14:51:47 <csarven> sandro: Sooooort of close to W3C's standards.
14:52:13 <csarven> sandro: Tried to get all towards the same goal
14:52:29 <luis_bermudez> luis_bermudez has joined #gld
14:52:31 <olyerickson> FYI, "GYM" is Google-Bing (aka Google/Yahoo!/Microsoft)
14:52:55 <csarven> sandro: SemWeb people were afraid of the big search engines would take over.. even though this was just a discussion.
14:53:48 <csarven> sandro: It touches on Gov vocabs, but just on people.. not sufficient. Will have to look more closely.
14:54:06 <csarven> bhyland: sandro, can you talk about Facebook?
14:54:17 <csarven> sandro: Facebook didn't show up.
14:54:43 <csarven> sandro: They are doing their Open Graph Protocol, and not coordinating with the schema.org as far as we know
14:54:49 <olyerickson> This group may be interested in http://schema.rdfs.org/ , a "...complementary effort by people from the Linked Data community to support Schema.org deployment and usage with a special focus on Linked Data..."
14:56:51 <olyerickson> +1 to Schema.org being a vote for simple/easy-to-adopt structured data
14:57:28 <olyerickson> +1 to OGP (facebook) *also* being about simple/easy-to-adopt structured data...
14:58:09 <annew> +1 great project to get involved in Sandro
14:58:15 <bhyland> q?
14:58:20 <bhyland> ack sandro
14:58:20 <sandro> q-
14:59:55 <csarven> bhyland: Please do your homework i.e., community directory (details entered). We'll make it easier to update.
15:00:29 <olyerickson> Re Datacube, yes
15:00:35 <csarven> ??: Did we discuss DataCube in the past?
15:00:53 <olyerickson> We had a DataCube preso a few weeks ago
15:01:04 <bhyland> The Data Cube was discussed & presented at the F2F in June.
15:01:08 <olyerickson> They are in the minutes
15:01:12 <olyerickson> q+
15:01:30 <bhyland> Let's plan to have another discussion at the Jan 2012 F2F.
15:02:02 <Zakim> -MichaelPendleton
15:02:08 <olyerickson> q-
15:02:37 <csarven> bhyland: Important to bump our activity on the vocabs
15:03:12 <csarven> bhyland: Participation is key here
15:03:46 <gatemezi> @bhyland: as editor, you can plan a telecon
15:04:20 <Zakim> -AnneW
15:04:21 <olyerickson> +1 to adjourning...
15:04:22 <Zakim> -DanGilman
15:04:24 <Zakim> -ZacharyWhitley
15:04:26 <csarven> Thanks
15:04:26 <Zakim> -bhyland
15:04:28 <Zakim> -??P44
15:04:32 <Zakim> - +1.267.481.aaff
15:04:34 <Zakim> -olyerickson
15:04:36 <Zakim> -GeraldSteeman
15:04:36 <rreck> bubye
15:04:40 <Zakim> -TinaGheen
15:04:42 <Zakim> -stk
15:04:45 <Zakim> -csarven
15:04:45 <olyerickson> olyerickson has left #GLD
15:04:46 <Zakim> -Sandro
15:04:58 <Zakim> -rreck
15:05:01 <Zakim> T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM has ended
15:05:03 <Zakim> Attendees were olyerickson, bhyland, +1.757.864.aaaa, csarven, +1.703.292.aabb, +1.202.566.aacc, ZacharyWhitley, rreck, Sandro, TinaGheen, +1.202.691.aaee, +1.267.481.aaff,
15:05:06 <bhyland> @csarven - do you see the http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.09.29#Scribe.27s_End_of_Meeting_Checklist
15:05:09 <Zakim> ... MichaelPendleton, DanGilman, GeraldSteeman, stk, AnneW
15:05:33 <csarven> RRSAgent, set logs world-visible
15:05:41 <csarven> RRSAgent, make minutes
15:05:41 <RRSAgent> I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/09/29-gld-minutes.html csarven
15:06:11 <stk> stk has left #gld
15:06:32 <bhyland> @csarven, good, the important part is done … let me know if you have any trouble with the rest of the steps. Thanks for scribing.
15:06:53 <csarven> @bhyland I get "Sorry, Insufficient Access Privileges" for that URL
15:09:05 <csarven> Do I have to do something at http://www.w3.org/2009/CommonScribe/panel/?group=gld&go=Use+This+Group before accessing the preliminary minutes?
15:11:26 <csarven> Apologies if I've missed a few important comments from the members.
# SPECIAL MARKER FOR CHATSYNC.  DO NOT EDIT THIS LINE OR BELOW.  SRCLINESUSED=00000273