Government Linked Data Working Group

Minutes of 06 September 2012

Seen
Benedikt Kaempgen, Bernadette Hyland, Biplav Srivastava, Christophe Gueret, Dave Reynolds, George Thomas, Ghislain Atemezing, Hadley Beeman, Luis Bermudez, Phil Archer, Richard Cyganiak, Sandro Hawke
Scribe
Phil Archer
IRC Log
Original and Editable Wiki Version
Resolutions
  1. Minutes approved link
  2. RDF schemas for ADMS and Buisiness Vocab move to /ns space. *ADMS is an update) link
Topics
13:58:40 <RRSAgent> logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/09/06-gld-irc

RRSAgent IRC Bot: logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/09/06-gld-irc

13:58:47 <bhyland> Agenda for today: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20120906

Bernadette Hyland: Agenda for today: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20120906

14:07:56 <PhilA> scribe: PhilA

(No events recorded for 9 minutes)

(Scribe set to Phil Archer)

14:08:03 <PhilA> scribeNick: PhilA
14:08:11 <PhilA> Topic: Review of last week's minutes

1. Review of last week's minutes

14:08:18 <bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-08-30

Bernadette Hyland: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-08-30

14:08:29 <PhilA> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-08-30 -> Minutes of last week

http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-08-30 -> Minutes of last week

14:09:02 <cygri> zakim, code?

Richard Cyganiak: zakim, code?

14:09:02 <Zakim> the conference code is 45394 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 sip:zakim@voip.w3.org), cygri

Zakim IRC Bot: the conference code is 45394 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 sip:zakim@voip.w3.org), cygri

14:09:06 <PhilA> bhyland: Last week we talked about what we need to do to improve our messaging

Bernadette Hyland: Last week we talked about what we need to do to improve our messaging

14:09:12 <Zakim> +??P55

Zakim IRC Bot: +??P55

14:09:15 <cygri> zakim, P55 is me

Richard Cyganiak: zakim, P55 is me

14:09:15 <Zakim> sorry, cygri, I do not recognize a party named 'P55'

Zakim IRC Bot: sorry, cygri, I do not recognize a party named 'P55'

14:09:22 <cygri> zakim, ??P55 is me

Richard Cyganiak: zakim, ??P55 is me

14:09:22 <Zakim> +cygri; got it

Zakim IRC Bot: +cygri; got it

14:09:34 <Zakim> -DaveReynolds

Zakim IRC Bot: -DaveReynolds

14:09:54 <BenediktKaempgen> +1

Benedikt Kaempgen: +1

14:09:55 <Zakim> +??P30

Zakim IRC Bot: +??P30

14:09:55 <gatemezi> +1

Ghislain Atemezing: +1

14:09:59 <sandro> Zakim, DaveReynolds is BenediktKaempgen

Sandro Hawke: Zakim, DaveReynolds is BenediktKaempgen

14:09:59 <Zakim> +BenediktKaempgen; got it

Zakim IRC Bot: +BenediktKaempgen; got it

14:10:02 <DaveReynolds> zakim, ??P30 is me

Dave Reynolds: zakim, ??P30 is me

14:10:02 <Zakim> +DaveReynolds; got it

Zakim IRC Bot: +DaveReynolds; got it

14:10:02 <PhilA> bhyland: Do we have approval for last week's minutes?

Bernadette Hyland: Do we have approval for last week's minutes?

14:10:10 <bhyland> Thanks. Minutes for last week approved.

Bernadette Hyland: Thanks. Minutes for last week approved.

14:10:34 <PhilA> Resolution: Minutes approved

RESOLVED: Minutes approved

14:10:41 <Zakim> +??P56

Zakim IRC Bot: +??P56

14:10:52 <PhilA> Topic: Community Directory

2. Community Directory

14:10:53 <bhyland> Topic: Community Directory

3. Community Directory

14:10:54 <cgueret_work> zakim, ??P56 is me

Christophe Gueret: zakim, ??P56 is me

14:10:54 <Zakim> +cgueret_work; got it

Zakim IRC Bot: +cgueret_work; got it

14:11:14 <PhilA> bhyland: We haven't revisited this for quite a while (January :-( )

Bernadette Hyland: We haven't revisited this for quite a while (January :-( )

14:11:28 <bhyland> http://dir.w3.org

Bernadette Hyland: http://dir.w3.org

14:11:28 <PhilA> bhyland: Little has happened in terms of evolution of it

Bernadette Hyland: Little has happened in terms of evolution of it

14:11:44 <PhilA> bhyland: It was updated to the latest version of Callimachus

Bernadette Hyland: It was updated to the latest version of Callimachus

14:12:25 <bhyland> http://dir.w3.org/rdf/2012/directory/categories-list.xhtml?view

Bernadette Hyland: http://dir.w3.org/rdf/2012/directory/categories-list.xhtml?view

14:12:26 <PhilA> bhyland: If you go to the directory statistics http://dir.w3.org/rdf/2012/directory/statistics.xhtml?view

Bernadette Hyland: If you go to the directory statistics http://dir.w3.org/rdf/2012/directory/statistics.xhtml?view

14:12:50 <PhilA> bhyland: we have about 70 organisations, for example. Getting a member request about once a fortnight

Bernadette Hyland: we have about 70 organisations, for example. Getting a member request about once a fortnight

14:12:57 <Zakim> +George_Thomas

Zakim IRC Bot: +George_Thomas

14:13:09 <PhilA> bhyland: It's perhaps looking out of date in some places. Usability is not as good as we'd like

Bernadette Hyland: It's perhaps looking out of date in some places. Usability is not as good as we'd like

14:13:49 <PhilA> bhyland: So I want to get some feedback and get some volunteers to join a meeting to flesh out some requirements to make it more compelling etc.

Bernadette Hyland: So I want to get some feedback and get some volunteers to join a meeting to flesh out some requirements to make it more compelling etc.

14:14:08 <Zakim> + +91.80.67.84.aadd

Zakim IRC Bot: + +91.80.67.84.aadd

14:14:12 <PhilA> bhyland: I asked folk to come prepared today with the URL of a directory that was useful and usable

Bernadette Hyland: I asked folk to come prepared today with the URL of a directory that was useful and usable

14:14:25 <bhyland> zakim, aadd is Biplav

Bernadette Hyland: zakim, aadd is Biplav

14:14:25 <Zakim> +Biplav; got it

Zakim IRC Bot: +Biplav; got it

14:14:27 <bhyland> q?

Bernadette Hyland: q?

14:14:39 <bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Community_Directory_Requirements

Bernadette Hyland: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Community_Directory_Requirements

14:14:45 <PhilA> bhyland: Any comments?

Bernadette Hyland: Any comments?

14:15:04 <PhilA> bhyland: Appeals for honesty...

Bernadette Hyland: Appeals for honesty...

14:15:30 <PhilA> http://www.crossover-project.eu/ExpertsOrganisations.aspx -> Crossover Directory

http://www.crossover-project.eu/ExpertsOrganisations.aspx -> Crossover Directory

14:16:11 <bhyland> PhilA: The Crossover Directory is different but has some of the same issues, namely lack of current content.

Phil Archer: The Crossover Directory is different but has some of the same issues, namely lack of current content. [ Scribe Assist by Bernadette Hyland ]

14:16:59 <bhyland> … PhilA suggested some of the human aspects of directories ...

Bernadette Hyland: … PhilA suggested some of the human aspects of directories ...

14:17:33 <bhyland> … common problem is people working in isolation, collectively not achieving the desired outcome.

Bernadette Hyland: … common problem is people working in isolation, collectively not achieving the desired outcome.

14:18:45 <PhilA> bhyland: The one I think of is Slideshare. I don't like the proprietary, locked down aspect but it's mighty useful

Bernadette Hyland: The one I think of is Slideshare. I don't like the proprietary, locked down aspect but it's mighty useful

14:18:57 <bhyland> q?

Bernadette Hyland: q?

14:19:07 <PhilA> bhyland: Getting Linked Data info into people's hands is important, no?

Bernadette Hyland: Getting Linked Data info into people's hands is important, no?

14:19:23 <PhilA> bhyland: What would make a difference to DERI, for example?

Bernadette Hyland: What would make a difference to DERI, for example?

14:20:02 <PhilA> cygri: Hard to say... one thing that strikes me as important is ability to showcase projects and products that we have done

Richard Cyganiak: Hard to say... one thing that strikes me as important is ability to showcase projects and products that we have done

14:20:35 <PhilA> cygri: We want to say more than "hello, we do LD research" - we want to say we have this OS software, as have produced X etc.

Richard Cyganiak: We want to say more than "hello, we do LD research" - we want to say we have this OS software, as have produced X etc.

14:20:44 <PhilA> cygri: So that level of detail would help

Richard Cyganiak: So that level of detail would help

14:21:04 <Zakim> +Sandro.a

Zakim IRC Bot: +Sandro.a

14:21:12 <Zakim> -Sandro

Zakim IRC Bot: -Sandro

14:21:21 <PhilA> bhyland: Hadley - in organising events etc. Would it be helpful to have a list of organisations who are doing work in this field?

Bernadette Hyland: Hadley - in organising events etc. Would it be helpful to have a list of organisations who are doing work in this field?

14:21:38 <HadleyBeeman> hi

Hadley Beeman: hi

14:21:38 <HadleyBeeman> sorry

Hadley Beeman: sorry

14:21:51 <PhilA> q+ HadleyBeeman

q+ HadleyBeeman

14:21:55 <PhilA> q+

q+

14:22:13 <HadleyBeeman> As with the community directory, if we take on the challenge of creating and maintaining a list of events, it's a resource commitment.

Hadley Beeman: As with the community directory, if we take on the challenge of creating and maintaining a list of events, it's a resource commitment.

14:22:17 <George> http://opencorporates.com/

George Thomas: http://opencorporates.com/

14:22:34 <George> "We have information on 44,411,651 companies"

George Thomas: "We have information on 44,411,651 companies"

14:22:38 <bhyland> q?

Bernadette Hyland: q?

14:22:42 <PhilA> bhyland: Basically, how can we make it useful for the thing we want to promote

Bernadette Hyland: Basically, how can we make it useful for the thing we want to promote

14:23:11 <HadleyBeeman> Also, there are others chasing lists of events of open data, linked data, government data…  I'd have a look at lanyrd, data.gov.uk, the OKFN, etc.

Hadley Beeman: Also, there are others chasing lists of events of open data, linked data, government data… I'd have a look at lanyrd, data.gov.uk, the OKFN, etc.

14:23:15 <PhilA> George: Raises us of business vocabulary by Open Corporates and its 43 million entries etc.

George Thomas: Raises us of business vocabulary by Open Corporates and its 43 million entries etc.

14:23:33 <PhilA> bhyland: You said it's more about the fact that you can list the info than having our own directory?

Bernadette Hyland: You said it's more about the fact that you can list the info than having our own directory?

14:24:04 <PhilA> George: In the spirit of LD we want it to be easy to incorporate data etc.

George Thomas: In the spirit of LD we want it to be easy to incorporate data etc.

14:24:20 <Zakim> -cygri

Zakim IRC Bot: -cygri

14:24:31 <PhilA> bhyland: You say that if we produce a standalone data we should be able to include data from Open Corporates etc. - so we can take data in and out

Bernadette Hyland: You say that if we produce a standalone data we should be able to include data from Open Corporates etc. - so we can take data in and out

14:24:39 <Zakim> +??P12

Zakim IRC Bot: +??P12

14:24:44 <cygri> zakim, ??P12 is me

Richard Cyganiak: zakim, ??P12 is me

14:24:44 <Zakim> +cygri; got it

Zakim IRC Bot: +cygri; got it

14:24:45 <PhilA> bhyland: So the data is two way

Bernadette Hyland: So the data is two way

14:25:27 <bhyland> q?

Bernadette Hyland: q?

14:25:29 <PhilA> bhyland: But the other piece is the usefulness of what we're capturing - if we agree we need it then we need an effort to make the site usable (incl. baic things like specifying a country)

Bernadette Hyland: But the other piece is the usefulness of what we're capturing - if we agree we need it then we need an effort to make the site usable (incl. baic things like specifying a country)

14:25:32 <HadleyBeeman> q-

Hadley Beeman: q-

14:25:41 <PhilA> ack me

ack me

14:25:44 <bhyland> ack HadleyBeeman

Bernadette Hyland: ack HadleyBeeman

14:26:15 <cygri> q+

Richard Cyganiak: q+

14:26:22 <bhyland> PhilA: We touched on this in June 2012, the Comm Directory could act as a showcase of good linked open data.

Phil Archer: We touched on this in June 2012, the Comm Directory could act as a showcase of good linked open data. [ Scribe Assist by Bernadette Hyland ]

14:26:52 <bhyland> … for example, the bathing (swimming for us yanks) water visualization was wonderful.

Bernadette Hyland: … for example, the bathing (swimming for us yanks) water visualization was wonderful.

14:27:11 <bhyland> … Consider focus on visualizations.

Bernadette Hyland: … Consider focus on visualizations.

14:28:13 <bhyland> … Data portals, like data.gov.uk, will include sections on apps that are on that specific data portal site, e.g., "latest", "good visualizations".

Bernadette Hyland: … Data portals, like data.gov.uk, will include sections on apps that are on that specific data portal site, e.g., "latest", "good visualizations".

14:28:41 <bhyland> … We need apps that will make policy makers stand up and say, 'that is cool, I want that for my agency!'

Bernadette Hyland: … We need apps that will make policy makers stand up and say, 'that is cool, I want that for my agency!'

14:29:08 <bhyland> … Add some info about who created the app, etc.

Bernadette Hyland: … Add some info about who created the app, etc.

14:29:12 <bhyland> q?

Bernadette Hyland: q?

14:29:13 <PhilA> bhyland: Any more comments?

Bernadette Hyland: Any more comments?

14:29:14 <Biplav> q+

Biplav Srivastava: q+

14:29:16 <bhyland> ack cygri

Bernadette Hyland: ack cygri

14:29:31 <PhilA> cygri: I guess what we're finding is that we're relying on people entering data about themselves and their projects

Richard Cyganiak: I guess what we're finding is that we're relying on people entering data about themselves and their projects

14:29:44 <PhilA> cygri: So the data ends up being variable in quality to put it mildly

Richard Cyganiak: So the data ends up being variable in quality to put it mildly

14:29:49 <bhyland> cygri: If we rely on people entering info themselves, the info is both variable in quality and potentially uncompelling.

Richard Cyganiak: If we rely on people entering info themselves, the info is both variable in quality and potentially uncompelling. [ Scribe Assist by Bernadette Hyland ]

14:29:56 <bhyland> … Do we need a curator?

Bernadette Hyland: … Do we need a curator?

14:29:56 <PhilA> cygri: So do we need someone to be a more active curator?

Richard Cyganiak: So do we need someone to be a more active curator?

14:30:17 <PhilA> cygri: It's difficult to get to a good level of collection of data without some level of curation

Richard Cyganiak: It's difficult to get to a good level of collection of data without some level of curation

14:30:36 <PhilA> cygri: Someone to highlight certain things, important aspects etc.

Richard Cyganiak: Someone to highlight certain things, important aspects etc.

14:30:52 <PhilA> cygri: This raises the question of who, of course...

Richard Cyganiak: This raises the question of who, of course...

14:31:24 <PhilA> cygri: At the moement, it's not going to make or break someone whetehr they are or are not in the directlry

Richard Cyganiak: At the moement, it's not going to make or break someone whetehr they are or are not in the directlry

14:31:25 <bhyland> … it isn't going to 'make or break anyone's business if they are in the directory today ...'

Bernadette Hyland: … it isn't going to 'make or break anyone's business if they are in the directory today ...'

14:31:42 <PhilA> cygri: So few people will care about it enough to give it sime

Richard Cyganiak: So few people will care about it enough to give it sime

14:32:03 <PhilA> cygri: If the info there isn't complete then there's no incentive for maintaining it

Richard Cyganiak: If the info there isn't complete then there's no incentive for maintaining it

14:32:25 <PhilA> bhyland: I agree with all of your points

Bernadette Hyland: I agree with all of your points

14:32:36 <PhilA> bhyland: I'd like it to be on people's radar

Bernadette Hyland: I'd like it to be on people's radar

14:32:57 <PhilA> bhyland: Make it somewhere for people to look for help making the business case or speakers etc.

Bernadette Hyland: Make it somewhere for people to look for help making the business case or speakers etc.

14:33:33 <PhilA> bhyland: A pharma co. has anounced it's putting money into orgs like DERI rather than doing it themselves. So having a go to place with the weight of the w3.org namespace can be compelling

Bernadette Hyland: A pharma co. has anounced it's putting money into orgs like DERI rather than doing it themselves. So having a go to place with the weight of the w3.org namespace can be compelling

14:33:45 <PhilA> ... the variability of the daat doesn't help

... the variability of the daat doesn't help

14:34:06 <sandro> q+ to muse about selling dogfood

Sandro Hawke: q+ to muse about selling dogfood

14:35:07 <HadleyBeeman> I know I'm not fully in the conversation today, but I think we should take care around the line between building the tools and standards to make government linked data useful and usable — and protecting individual companies, business models, marketing, etc.

Hadley Beeman: I know I'm not fully in the conversation today, but I think we should take care around the line between building the tools and standards to make government linked data useful and usable — and protecting individual companies, business models, marketing, etc.

14:35:11 <cygri> biplav: people will be interested in datasets that are avaialbe; value that it can provide; and who are people i can contact for my problem

Biplav Srivastava: people will be interested in datasets that are avaialbe; value that it can provide; and who are people i can contact for my problem [ Scribe Assist by Richard Cyganiak ]

14:35:25 <bhyland> Biplav: Wants directory to list: What are the datasets, what has been the impact, what have been the benefits?  Better visualization is compelling.

Biplav Srivastava: Wants directory to list: What are the datasets, what has been the impact, what have been the benefits? Better visualization is compelling. [ Scribe Assist by Bernadette Hyland ]

14:36:20 <cygri> biplav: concrete measurements, dollar impact, to grab people's attention

Biplav Srivastava: concrete measurements, dollar impact, to grab people's attention [ Scribe Assist by Richard Cyganiak ]

14:36:54 <PhilA> bhyland: You're saying things like concrete measurements etc. is what anyone would need to make a decision on spending money

Bernadette Hyland: You're saying things like concrete measurements etc. is what anyone would need to make a decision on spending money

14:37:06 <cygri> q+ to suggest focusing on a small area and aim for completeness + high quality

Richard Cyganiak: q+ to suggest focusing on a small area and aim for completeness + high quality

14:37:16 <PhilA> bhyland: we need to move away from research and more into enterprise way of thinking

Bernadette Hyland: we need to move away from research and more into enterprise way of thinking

14:37:20 <gatemezi> How could you see the benefits of datasets different from that we have for e.g. here in http://thedatahub.org/

Ghislain Atemezing: How could you see the benefits of datasets different from that we have for e.g. here in http://thedatahub.org/

14:37:52 <bhyland> +1 to Biplav

Bernadette Hyland: +1 to Biplav

14:37:52 <PhilA> Biplav: We have a transformation department. If I tell them they should use LD, they'd say why? They need a quantification of what was possible before and what would be possible afterweards

Biplav Srivastava: We have a transformation department. If I tell them they should use LD, they'd say why? They need a quantification of what was possible before and what would be possible afterweards

14:38:03 <PhilA> ack sandro

ack sandro

14:38:03 <Zakim> sandro, you wanted to muse about selling dogfood

Zakim IRC Bot: sandro, you wanted to muse about selling dogfood

14:38:12 <bhyland> ack Biplav

Bernadette Hyland: ack Biplav

14:38:13 <Biplav> transformation => transportation

Biplav Srivastava: transformation => transportation

14:38:51 <PhilA> sandro: I was concerned about the directory - us being caught up in a dog food project. But... maybe we could focus on the data and not the UI quality?

Sandro Hawke: I was concerned about the directory - us being caught up in a dog food project. But... maybe we could focus on the data and not the UI quality?

14:39:14 <PhilA> sandro: Maybe something like an ISWC challenge? Ask people with relevant expertise so we'd be the showcase for their work?

Sandro Hawke: Maybe something like an ISWC challenge? Ask people with relevant expertise so we'd be the showcase for their work?

14:39:29 <PhilA> ... so we'd be a feed of data about open data projects

... so we'd be a feed of data about open data projects

14:39:44 <PhilA> ... I'm scared about diverting energy but it might work?

... I'm scared about diverting energy but it might work?

14:39:49 <PhilA> bhyland: Interesting

Bernadette Hyland: Interesting

14:40:02 <Zakim> -cygri

Zakim IRC Bot: -cygri

14:40:29 <PhilA> George: The challenges I've been involved with have been regulated by the America Competes Act

George Thomas: The challenges I've been involved with have been regulated by the America Competes Act

14:40:30 <Zakim> +??P1

Zakim IRC Bot: +??P1

14:40:33 <cygri> zakim, ??P1 is me

Richard Cyganiak: zakim, ??P1 is me

14:40:33 <Zakim> +cygri; got it

Zakim IRC Bot: +cygri; got it

14:40:41 <PhilA> ... need to reach out to the communities that would be interested

... need to reach out to the communities that would be interested

14:41:02 <PhilA> ... lots of otehr less-regulatory driven challenges and then can be pretty high touch. Someone has been heavily involved

... lots of otehr less-regulatory driven challenges and then can be pretty high touch. Someone has been heavily involved

14:41:14 <PhilA> ... i.e. it takes person power

... i.e. it takes person power

14:41:39 <Biplav> What we are discussing is a good topic for a workshop at a conference like ISWC, I think.

Biplav Srivastava: What we are discussing is a good topic for a workshop at a conference like ISWC, I think.

14:42:09 <PhilA> George: Being able to repurpose the data is good of course. Maybe we could set up a SPARQL Push ??

George Thomas: Being able to repurpose the data is good of course. Maybe we could set up a SPARQL Push ??

14:42:09 <bhyland> No, not a workshop, a potential challenge targeted at the right group of developers once we are further along ...

Bernadette Hyland: No, not a workshop, a potential challenge targeted at the right group of developers once we are further along ...

14:42:14 <bhyland> q?

Bernadette Hyland: q?

14:42:22 <bhyland> ack cygri

Bernadette Hyland: ack cygri

14:42:22 <Zakim> cygri, you wanted to suggest focusing on a small area and aim for completeness + high quality

Zakim IRC Bot: cygri, you wanted to suggest focusing on a small area and aim for completeness + high quality

14:42:28 <PhilA> PhilA: Sounds like a sponsorship/funded project oppoertunity??

Phil Archer: Sounds like a sponsorship/funded project oppoertunity??

14:43:05 <PhilA> cygri: Repurposing hte data is interesting but it only becomes interesting if the data is good and interesting. And that's the challenge. Worrying too much about the tech side could be a bit of a distraction if we don't have that quality

Richard Cyganiak: Repurposing hte data is interesting but it only becomes interesting if the data is good and interesting. And that's the challenge. Worrying too much about the tech side could be a bit of a distraction if we don't have that quality

14:43:08 <BenediktKaempgen> +1 to having a challenge to find interesting content for community directory

Benedikt Kaempgen: +1 to having a challenge to find interesting content for community directory

14:43:10 <George> PuSH - DERI did some work that does a SPARQL query on a PubSubHubbub (PuSH) feed hub

George Thomas: PuSH - DERI did some work that does a SPARQL query on a PubSubHubbub (PuSH) feed hub

14:43:19 <George> so

George Thomas: so

14:43:34 <PhilA> cygri: So I'm a little worried about going in that direction

Richard Cyganiak: So I'm a little worried about going in that direction

14:44:01 <bhyland> +! to what cygri is saying that the data needs to be more complete & is a valuable resource that people *want* to combine for some interesting insights

Bernadette Hyland: +! to what cygri is saying that the data needs to be more complete & is a valuable resource that people *want* to combine for some interesting insights

14:44:17 <PhilA> cygri: One idea for how we may improve the data quality might be to limit the scope to a particular topic

Richard Cyganiak: One idea for how we may improve the data quality might be to limit the scope to a particular topic

14:44:40 <PhilA> cygri: The 'open gov data' space is very big. Maybe we can focus on a domain?

Richard Cyganiak: The 'open gov data' space is very big. Maybe we can focus on a domain?

14:44:50 <PhilA> cygri: Try to establish completeness and quality?

Richard Cyganiak: Try to establish completeness and quality?

14:45:02 <PhilA> ... and then expand, based on that success?

... and then expand, based on that success?

14:45:53 <cygri> ack me

Richard Cyganiak: ack me

14:45:55 <PhilA> cygri: No idea what that topic could be

Richard Cyganiak: No idea what that topic could be

14:46:02 <PhilA> PhilA: Agriculture?

Phil Archer: Agriculture?

14:46:44 <bhyland> q?

Bernadette Hyland: q?

14:46:50 <PhilA> sandro: I'd say that if even one of us were motivated to spend ~ 4 hours per week on digging up info - we could have a pretty high quality data set. It seems to me that Gov LD is only a couple of hundred people

Sandro Hawke: I'd say that if even one of us were motivated to spend ~ 4 hours per week on digging up info - we could have a pretty high quality data set. It seems to me that Gov LD is only a couple of hundred people

14:47:16 <PhilA> bhyland: If we just limited it to 4 hours then that sounds like an excellent job for a new hire/intern

Bernadette Hyland: If we just limited it to 4 hours then that sounds like an excellent job for a new hire/intern

14:48:33 <PhilA> action: bhyland to get a Computer Science Intern to spend ca. 4 hours a week on gathering data for the directory

ACTION: bhyland to get a Computer Science Intern to spend ca. 4 hours a week on gathering data for the directory

14:48:33 <trackbot> Created ACTION-75 - Get a Computer Science Intern to spend ca. 4 hours a week on gathering data for the directory [on Bernadette Hyland - due 2012-09-13].

Trackbot IRC Bot: Created ACTION-75 - Get a Computer Science Intern to spend ca. 4 hours a week on gathering data for the directory [on Bernadette Hyland - due 2012-00-13].

14:48:47 <Biplav> q+

Biplav Srivastava: q+

14:49:38 <sandro> bhyland: I'll see if I can find an intern to do this kind of work, eg 4hrs/wk

Bernadette Hyland: I'll see if I can find an intern to do this kind of work, eg 4hrs/wk [ Scribe Assist by Sandro Hawke ]

14:50:17 <sandro> bhyland: At the end of the day, the technology doesn't matter very much.   If we produce turtle & human-readable-stuff, that's enough.

Bernadette Hyland: At the end of the day, the technology doesn't matter very much. If we produce turtle & human-readable-stuff, that's enough. [ Scribe Assist by Sandro Hawke ]

14:50:37 <sandro> bhyland: The point is it's a data-driven app, and some better tool comes along, they can slurp up the RDF.

Bernadette Hyland: The point is it's a data-driven app, and some better tool comes along, they can slurp up the RDF. [ Scribe Assist by Sandro Hawke ]

14:50:54 <bhyland> q?

Bernadette Hyland: q?

14:50:58 <PhilA> bhyland: It shouldn't be about proving RDF, that's a given...

Bernadette Hyland: It shouldn't be about proving RDF, that's a given...

14:51:00 <sandro> bhyland: It's a given that we produce human + machine-readable output from this.

Bernadette Hyland: It's a given that we produce human + machine-readable output from this. [ Scribe Assist by Sandro Hawke ]

14:51:19 <PhilA> Biplav: If you could share what you are thinking of the Intern doing I might be able to help with resources :-)

Biplav Srivastava: If you could share what you are thinking of the Intern doing I might be able to help with resources :-)

14:51:48 <PhilA> bhyland: I'll get a description and if you can help find an alternative or additional person that wouldbe great

Bernadette Hyland: I'll get a description and if you can help find an alternative or additional person that wouldbe great

14:51:57 <PhilA> ... no modelling or vocab development etc.

... no modelling or vocab development etc.

14:52:37 <bhyland> Topic: ISA Programme Vocabs update by PhilA

4. ISA Programme Vocabs update by PhilA

14:53:04 <DaveReynolds> q+

Dave Reynolds: q+

14:53:20 <bhyland> @PhilA, actually there is some work to be done by the editors …

Bernadette Hyland: @PhilA, actually there is some work to be done by the editors …

14:53:45 <DaveReynolds> q-

Dave Reynolds: q-

14:54:20 <bhyland> Agreed, we all want the vocabs to move to LC by TPAC (late Oct 2012(

Bernadette Hyland: Agreed, we all want the vocabs to move to LC by TPAC (late Oct 2012(

14:54:27 <bhyland> s/9/0
14:55:42 <Zakim> -cygri

Zakim IRC Bot: -cygri

14:56:08 <DaveReynolds> q+

Dave Reynolds: q+

14:56:15 <Zakim> +??P1

Zakim IRC Bot: +??P1

14:56:19 <cygri> zakim, ??P1 is me

Richard Cyganiak: zakim, ??P1 is me

14:56:19 <Zakim> +cygri; got it

Zakim IRC Bot: +cygri; got it

14:57:19 <Biplav> q-

Biplav Srivastava: q-

14:58:06 <Zakim> -Biplav

Zakim IRC Bot: -Biplav

14:58:20 <cygri> q?

Richard Cyganiak: q?

14:58:25 <PhilA> ack DaveReynolds

ack DaveReynolds

14:58:53 <bhyland> thanks PhilA and DaveReynolds for concise action request.

Bernadette Hyland: thanks PhilA and DaveReynolds for concise action request.

14:59:25 <PhilA> DaveReynolds: Comfortable with the schemas going in place. Looks to me as if, modulo my comments, the spec docs look good for FPWD

Dave Reynolds: Comfortable with the schemas going in place. Looks to me as if, modulo my comments, the spec docs look good for FPWD

15:00:23 <PhilA> Proposed Resolution: RDF schemas for ADMS and Buisiness Vocab move to /ns space. *ADMS is an update)

Proposed Resolution: RDF schemas for ADMS and Buisiness Vocab move to /ns space. *ADMS is an update)

15:00:40 <DaveReynolds> +1

Dave Reynolds: +1

15:00:42 <cygri> +1

Richard Cyganiak: +1

15:00:43 <cgueret> +1

Christophe Gueret: +1

15:00:44 <bhyland> s/Vocav/Vocab

Bernadette Hyland: s/Vocav/Vocab (warning: replacement failed)

15:00:46 <bhyland> +1

Bernadette Hyland: +1

15:00:51 <BenediktKaempgen> +1

Benedikt Kaempgen: +1

15:00:51 <gatemezi> +1

Ghislain Atemezing: +1

15:00:55 <cygri> q+

Richard Cyganiak: q+

15:00:56 <cgueret> s/schemnas/schemas

Christophe Gueret: s/schemnas/schemas (warning: replacement failed)

15:01:01 <bhyland> Love this bias towards action!

Bernadette Hyland: Love this bias towards action!

15:01:12 <cygri> q-

Richard Cyganiak: q-

15:01:13 <George> +1

George Thomas: +1

15:01:15 <PhilA> Resolved: RDF schemas for ADMS and Buisiness Vocab move to /ns space. *ADMS is an update)

RESOLVED: RDF schemas for ADMS and Buisiness Vocab move to /ns space. *ADMS is an update)

15:01:17 <BenediktKaempgen> Announcement - WS related to QB work (2nd Workshop on Semantic Statistics for Social, Behavioural, and Economic Sciences: Leveraging the DDI Model for the Linked Data Web ) - http://www.gesis.org/en/events/gesis-workshops/ddi/

Benedikt Kaempgen: Announcement - WS related to QB work (2nd Workshop on Semantic Statistics for Social, Behavioural, and Economic Sciences: Leveraging the DDI Model for the Linked Data Web ) - http://www.gesis.org/en/events/gesis-workshops/ddi/

15:01:18 <PhilA> PhilA: Thank you DaveReynolds for your helpful comments

Phil Archer: Thank you DaveReynolds for your helpful comments

15:01:21 <Zakim> -LuisBermudez

Zakim IRC Bot: -LuisBermudez

15:01:33 <cgueret> bye

Christophe Gueret: bye

15:01:35 <gatemezi> thanks all!

Ghislain Atemezing: thanks all!

15:01:36 <Zakim> -cygri

Zakim IRC Bot: -cygri

15:01:37 <George> thanks bhyland :0

George Thomas: thanks bhyland :0

15:01:39 <BenediktKaempgen> bye

Benedikt Kaempgen: bye

15:01:41 <Zakim> -PhilA2

Zakim IRC Bot: -PhilA2

15:01:41 <George> :)

George Thomas: :)

15:01:42 <Zakim> -bhyland

Zakim IRC Bot: -bhyland

15:01:43 <Zakim> -gatemezi

Zakim IRC Bot: -gatemezi

15:01:45 <Zakim> -George_Thomas

Zakim IRC Bot: -George_Thomas

15:01:46 <Zakim> -DaveReynolds

Zakim IRC Bot: -DaveReynolds

15:01:47 <Zakim> -BenediktKaempgen

Zakim IRC Bot: -BenediktKaempgen

15:01:47 <bhyland> thanks everyone, very productive discussion.  Appreciate it.

Bernadette Hyland: thanks everyone, very productive discussion. Appreciate it.

15:01:48 <Zakim> -Sandro

Zakim IRC Bot: -Sandro

15:01:58 <PhilA> bhyland: If you had a directory URL to point to anotehr directory, please add it :-)

Bernadette Hyland: If you had a directory URL to point to anotehr directory, please add it :-)

15:19:41 <PhilA> rrsagent, generate minutes

(No events recorded for 17 minutes)

rrsagent, generate minutes

15:19:41 <RRSAgent> I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/09/06-gld-minutes.html PhilA

RRSAgent IRC Bot: I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/09/06-gld-minutes.html PhilA

15:19:52 <PhilA> zakim, bye

zakim, bye

15:19:52 <Zakim> leaving.  As of this point the attendees were Sandro, PhilA2, +33.4.93.00.aaaa, gatemezi, +1.267.481.aabb, bhyland, +49.721.aacc, LuisBermudez, cygri, BenediktKaempgen,

Zakim IRC Bot: leaving. As of this point the attendees were Sandro, PhilA2, +33.4.93.00.aaaa, gatemezi, +1.267.481.aabb, bhyland, +49.721.aacc, LuisBermudez, cygri, BenediktKaempgen,

15:19:55 <Zakim> ... DaveReynolds, cgueret_work, George_Thomas, +91.80.67.84.aadd, Biplav

Zakim IRC Bot: ... DaveReynolds, cgueret_work, George_Thomas, +91.80.67.84.aadd, Biplav

15:20:02 <PhilA> rrsagent, generate minutes

rrsagent, generate minutes

15:20:02 <RRSAgent> I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/09/06-gld-minutes.html PhilA

RRSAgent IRC Bot: I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/09/06-gld-minutes.html PhilA

15:20:37 <PhilA> rrsagent, make logs public

rrsagent, make logs public

15:20:41 <PhilA> rrsagent, generate minutes

rrsagent, generate minutes

15:20:41 <RRSAgent> I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/09/06-gld-minutes.html PhilA

RRSAgent IRC Bot: I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/09/06-gld-minutes.html PhilA



Formatted by CommonScribe


This revision (#2) generated 2012-09-13 14:09:57 UTC by 'phila', comments: None