W3C Audio Publications and Milestones
The Audio WG is currently working on the following specification deliverables:
- The Web Audio API.
Edited by Chris Rogers (Google). Now a third public working draft. See the Editor's Draft for the very latest version
- The Web MIDI API.
Edited by Jussi Kalliokoski (Invited Expert) and Chris Wilson (Google). Recently published as Second Public Working Draft. See the Editor's Draft for the latest version
- The Web Audio Processing: Use Cases and Requirements.
Edited by Joe Berkovitz (Noteflight) and Olivier Thereaux (BBC). Currently a Working Draft, soon to be stabilised as a Note. See the Editor's Draft for the latest version
The following deliverables are no longer being worked on:
- The MediaStream Processing API.
Edited by Robert O'Callahan (Mozilla Corporation) is now a Working Group Note, no longer worked on but used as input for the Web Audio API.
Member submissions and strawman proposals
The following documents have been presented to the group by some of its members. They may be under discussion but have not (yet) been agreed upon or published by the group.
- DSP API Specification Unofficial draft.
- Audio Data API by David Humphrey, et al, from Mozilla: a more basic audio data API, which anticipates higher-level script libraries
According to the Audio Working group charter, we aim to reach the following milestones for our main deliverables:
|Web Audio API||Dec 2011||Q4 2012||Q2 2013||Q4 2013||Q4 2013|
|Web MIDI API||Q3 2012||Q1 2013||Q2 2013||Q3 2013||Q3 2013|
Based on current progress, our updated estimates are:
|Web Audio API||Dec 2011||Q1 2013||Q3 2013||Q1 2014||Q1 2014|
|Web MIDI API||Oct 2012||Q1 2013||Q2 2013||Q3 2013||Q3 2013|
- audionode.js by Corban Brook; adds the basic high-level functionality of the Web Audio API to the Audio Data API