HTML WG Decision Policy
2 November 2011
Santa Clara, CA
Decision Policy summary
- “Bug” vs “Issue”. HTML WG editors are responsible for
resolving bugs; anyone disagreeing with a bug
resolution can “escalate” it into an HTML WG issue.
- Chairs resolve issues. The HTML WG chairs have responsibility
for resolving all HTML WG issues, using the HTML WG
- Change proposals. Chairs act as a kind of court of appeals:
collect change proposals from WG members, evaluate those, adjudicate a
decision on behalf of the WG.
- Reverts: WG members can request that chairs ask an editor to
revert a particular spec change; see Enhanced Change Control.
Issues can sometimes be reopened
- The chairs can decide to reopen an issue for which they have
already announced a WG decision.
- WG members need to provide new information about an issue in
order to have the chairs consider reopening that issue.
- Formal objections can be raised by any WG members who disagree
with a WG Decision announced by the chairs.
- Director’s decision. Issues that end up remaining in
“formal objection” state will eventually require a decision from the
Director in order to be finally resolved.