IRC log of rd on 2011-12-15

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:59:43 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #rd
15:59:43 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2011/12/15-rd-irc
15:59:45 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
15:59:47 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 7394
15:59:47 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see WAI_RDWG()11:00AM scheduled to start in 1 minute
15:59:48 [trackbot]
Meeting: Research and Development Working Group Teleconference
15:59:48 [trackbot]
Date: 15 December 2011
15:59:59 [shadi]
chair: Simon
16:02:05 [markel]
markel has joined #rd
16:02:09 [sharper]
sharper has joined #rd
16:02:17 [sharper]
zakim, agenda?
16:02:38 [shadi]
regrets: Christos, Giorgio, Yeliz
16:02:48 [Peter]
Peter has joined #rd
16:02:49 [sharper]
trackbot, start meeting
16:02:51 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
16:02:53 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 7394
16:02:54 [trackbot]
Meeting: Research and Development Working Group Teleconference
16:02:54 [trackbot]
Date: 15 December 2011
16:03:01 [sharper]
Chair: Harper_Simon
16:03:02 [sharper]
Agenda+ Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)
16:03:02 [sharper]
Agenda+ W3C Note
16:03:02 [sharper]
Agenda+ New Topic Discussion << Focus of this weeks meeting
16:03:02 [sharper]
Agenda+ Happy Holidays and a Good New Year
16:03:16 [sharper]
zakim, save agenda
16:03:21 [Zakim]
I see 3 items remaining on the agenda:
16:03:26 [Zakim]
1. Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments) [from sharper]
16:03:27 [sharper]
zakim, take up item 1
16:03:33 [Zakim]
2. Symposium De-Brief starting with http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0007.html / http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0008.html /
16:03:37 [sharper]
rrsagent, make logs public
16:03:38 [sharper]
rrsagent, draft minutes
16:03:38 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/12/15-rd-minutes.html sharper
16:03:46 [Zakim]
... http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0009.html / http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0010.html [from sharper]
16:03:55 [Zakim]
3. Any Other Business [from sharper]
16:04:25 [sharper]
regrets: Kouroupetroglou_Christos, Yesilada_Yeliz, Brajnik_Giorgio, Conway_Vivienne
16:04:31 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see WAI_RDWG()11:00AM scheduled to start 2 minutes ago
16:04:50 [Zakim]
ok, sharper, the agenda has been written to http://www.w3.org/2011/12/15-rd-agenda.rdf
16:04:54 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()11:00AM has now started
16:04:56 [Zakim]
+??P4
16:04:58 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)" taken up [from sharper]
16:05:16 [Zakim]
+??P14
16:05:21 [Peter]
Not sure P4 may be me?
16:05:21 [Zakim]
-??P4
16:05:32 [Zakim]
+??P20
16:05:51 [Peter]
(will reconnect on Zakim)
16:06:00 [markel]
zakim, ??P20 is markel
16:06:09 [Zakim]
+??P30
16:06:37 [Zakim]
+??P35
16:06:44 [Zakim]
+markel; got it
16:06:55 [Peter]
Zakim, ??P35 is me
16:07:18 [shadi]
zakim, call shadi-617
16:07:18 [Zakim]
+??P37
16:07:23 [Zakim]
+Peter; got it
16:07:24 [sharper]
present: Abou-Zahra_Shadi, Miesenberge_Klaus, Vigo_Markel, Harper_Simon, Thiessen_Peter
16:07:31 [Zakim]
ok, shadi; the call is being made
16:07:38 [Zakim]
+Shadi
16:07:44 [Zakim]
-??P37
16:07:46 [Zakim]
-??P14
16:07:54 [Zakim]
+??P14
16:08:13 [Peter]
Zakim, ??P14 is me
16:08:14 [Zakim]
+Peter; got it
16:08:21 [Peter]
Zakim, mute me
16:08:21 [Zakim]
Peter should now be muted
16:08:26 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
16:08:26 [Zakim]
On the phone I see markel, ??P30, Peter (muted), Shadi, Peter.a
16:08:39 [sharper]
zakim, ??P30 is sharper
16:08:39 [Zakim]
+sharper; got it
16:08:51 [Peter]
Zakim, unmute me
16:08:51 [Zakim]
Peter should no longer be muted
16:09:13 [Peter]
Zakim, mute me
16:09:13 [Zakim]
Peter should now be muted
16:09:39 [markel]
shadi I can scribe
16:09:49 [markel]
:-)
16:10:01 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
16:10:01 [Zakim]
On the phone I see markel, sharper, Peter (muted), Shadi, Peter.a
16:10:02 [sharper]
scribe: Abou-Zahra_Shadi
16:10:02 [sharper]
ScribeNick: shadi
16:10:37 [sharper]
OK so I'm talkin
16:10:40 [shadi]
zakim, peter is simon
16:10:41 [Zakim]
+simon; got it
16:10:44 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
16:10:44 [Zakim]
On the phone I see markel, sharper, simon (muted), Shadi, Peter.a
16:10:56 [shadi]
zakim, unmute simon
16:10:56 [Zakim]
simon should no longer be muted
16:11:01 [Peter]
yes
16:11:12 [shadi]
zakim, sharper is Klaus
16:11:12 [Zakim]
+Klaus; got it
16:11:20 [shadi]
zakim, peter.a is Peter
16:11:20 [Zakim]
+Peter; got it
16:11:24 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
16:11:24 [Zakim]
On the phone I see markel, Klaus, simon, Shadi, Peter
16:11:37 [shadi]
zakim, take up agendum 2
16:11:37 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Symposium De-Brief starting with http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0007.html /
16:11:40 [Zakim]
... http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0008.html / http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0009.html /
16:11:43 [Zakim]
... http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0010.html" taken up [from sharper]
16:11:46 [shadi]
agenda?
16:12:08 [shadi]
zakim, drop agendum 1
16:12:10 [shadi]
zakim, drop agendum 2
16:12:11 [shadi]
zakim, drop agendum 3
16:12:14 [Zakim]
agendum 1, Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments), dropped
16:12:18 [Zakim]
agendum 2, Symposium De-Brief starting with http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0007.html /
16:12:23 [Zakim]
... http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0008.html / http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0009.html /
16:12:24 [shadi]
zakim, drop agendum 4
16:12:29 [Zakim]
... http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2011Dec/0010.html, dropped
16:12:30 [shadi]
zakim, take up agendum 5
16:12:33 [Zakim]
agendum 3, Any Other Business, dropped
16:12:37 [Zakim]
agendum 4, Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments), dropped
16:12:45 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "W3C Note" taken up [from sharper]
16:12:56 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
16:12:56 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
16:13:33 [Zakim]
+??P15
16:13:42 [Peter]
Zakim, ??P15 is me
16:13:42 [Zakim]
+Peter; got it
16:13:48 [Peter]
(sorry awful connection today)
16:13:53 [shadi]
SH: what is the status of the Note?
16:14:06 [shadi]
MV: identifying the gaps
16:14:07 [shadi]
q+
16:14:18 [shadi]
ack me
16:15:23 [sharper]
SAZ: to help the editors with the note boilerplate and US Spelling etc
16:15:24 [markel]
SH: I need to provide some links with style guides to develop the note..administrative stuff..there's a general template..I'll be happy to provide that..the usual language is EN-US
16:15:28 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
16:15:28 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
16:15:43 [shadi]
ack me
16:15:59 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
16:15:59 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
16:16:09 [markel]
SAZ: that's before you got too far
16:16:12 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
16:16:12 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "New Topic Discussion << Focus of this weeks meeting" taken up [from sharper]
16:16:15 [sharper]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki
16:16:15 [markel]
MV: thanks for that
16:16:36 [shadi]
SH: quite a few topics that we are looking at
16:16:45 [shadi]
...need to decide how to select
16:16:51 [shadi]
...editors is one factor
16:17:11 [shadi]
...maybe biggest point
16:17:25 [shadi]
...lots of WAI focus on mobile accessibility
16:17:28 [sharper]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Mobile_Accessibility
16:17:32 [shadi]
...maybe good to address that
16:17:44 [shadi]
ack me
16:18:07 [Peter]
Zakim, mute me
16:18:07 [Zakim]
Peter should now be muted
16:19:15 [markel]
SAZ: it's a hot topic now, there's a UN org responsible to monitor human rights...there's another org in Korea that wants to submit to another standards org like IETC..there's lots of things going on
16:19:28 [shadi]
s/IETC/JTC-1
16:19:39 [sharper]
Reciprocal Interoperability of Accessible and Mobile Webs (RIAM)
16:19:40 [markel]
SAZ: some efforts should be devoted in consolidating this
16:19:49 [sharper]
http://wel-eprints.cs.manchester.ac.uk/view/subjects/riam.html
16:20:15 [markel]
SAZ: is that (RIAM) any org?
16:20:56 [shadi]
SH: RIAM is a research project funded by the UK government
16:21:20 [shadi]
...looking at differences and similarities between mobile and accessibility guidelines
16:21:52 [shadi]
...working with CTIC in Spain on extension from RIAM into their mobile work
16:22:14 [shadi]
q+ to talk about other factors to selecting a topic
16:22:45 [sharper]
ack sh
16:22:45 [Zakim]
shadi, you wanted to talk about other factors to selecting a topic
16:22:48 [shadi]
...Yeliz and I offer to be editors if no one else offers
16:23:03 [shadi]
ack me
16:23:39 [markel]
SAZ: I don't think there would be a problem having a chair as an editor..it's gonna be difficult on your side..as you will have to be switching roles
16:23:54 [markel]
SAZ: early on we talked about the factors to select a topic
16:24:03 [markel]
SAZ: having editors ready is key
16:24:14 [sharper]
RIAM Framework: Overlaps between Mobile and Accessible Webs - http://wel-eprints.cs.manchester.ac.uk/96/
16:24:28 [markel]
SAZ: your university one of the initiatives that reflects the work on mobile web accessibility
16:25:20 [markel]
SAZ: if nobody else is offering as an editor we can say that SH and YY can be editors
16:25:31 [shadi]
http://www.icchp.org/node/359
16:25:58 [shadi]
KM: session at ICCHP also looking at mobile accessibility
16:26:05 [shadi]
...maybe can cooperate on that
16:26:25 [shadi]
SH: when is ICCHP?
16:26:31 [shadi]
KM: July 11-13th
16:27:04 [shadi]
SH: expect to have two symposia by then
16:27:49 [markel]
SAZ: I think that's one option, it depends how we coordinate those people. Klaus suggest that we can do something together
16:28:13 [markel]
SAZ: I think we could check with them
16:28:39 [shadi]
SH: would like to have a better idea about the next topic or two early next year
16:28:56 [shadi]
...would be driven by the editors
16:29:17 [shadi]
...good response from the community and would be good to build on the momentum
16:29:34 [shadi]
...could do mobile next and have ICCHP as a potential follow-up
16:30:07 [markel]
q+
16:30:11 [Peter]
q+
16:30:11 [shadi]
...need to decide how this will look very soon
16:30:14 [shadi]
ack m
16:30:14 [sharper]
ack ma
16:30:40 [shadi]
MV: think we do not have enough participants in the group
16:30:45 [shadi]
...do we have critical mass?
16:30:57 [shadi]
...worried about the level of involvement
16:31:23 [shadi]
SH: agree with the concern but need to get these seminars out
16:31:28 [shadi]
...to attract new people
16:31:30 [shadi]
q+
16:31:40 [shadi]
q+ to respond on participation
16:31:46 [Peter]
ack me
16:31:48 [sharper]
ack peter
16:31:48 [shadi]
ack peter
16:32:15 [shadi]
PT: mobile accessibility is a very exciting topics
16:32:27 [shadi]
...assume you primarly mean blind users
16:32:42 [shadi]
...would be very interested in being an editor
16:32:43 [Peter]
Zakime, mute me
16:33:03 [shadi]
SH: may ber othe aspects beyond blindness
16:33:04 [Peter]
Zakim, mute me
16:33:05 [Zakim]
Peter should now be muted
16:33:14 [shadi]
...good to have additional editors
16:33:14 [sharper]
ack shadi
16:33:15 [Zakim]
shadi, you wanted to respond on participation
16:34:07 [markel]
SAZ: I agree with SH, there are many aspects..touchscreens, gestures...if you don't have dextery..many types of disabilities get an impact
16:35:03 [markel]
SAZ: I want to reply to MV. This is usual, unfortunately people tend to drop out. We are transitioning...the first note is important to show people what we do
16:35:19 [markel]
SAZ: having a presence would be good..ICCHP or W4A
16:35:36 [markel]
SAZ: it'd be great to have face 2 face meetings
16:35:55 [markel]
SAZ: there are some new 2 people joining to the group
16:36:03 [markel]
q+
16:36:12 [shadi]
s/to the group/to the mailing list
16:36:25 [markel]
q-
16:36:43 [shadi]
SH: maybe we should think about joining mobile and touch interface topics
16:36:51 [shadi]
...they are different but very related
16:37:01 [Peter]
+1 combining mobile a11y and touch interfaces (we could dig deeper later)
16:37:08 [shadi]
...or do we want to keep completely separate?
16:37:14 [markel]
I think it's too broad
16:37:50 [shadi]
SAZ: maybe combine would yield more contributions to select from
16:37:54 [markel]
I think that the focus is important
16:38:16 [Peter]
(Just encase you haven't read some related guidelines, these might be some good reading over the holidays: http://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/experiences, http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp/, http://www.w3.org/TR/mwabp/)
16:38:33 [shadi]
q+ to ask klaus about combining symposium with ICCHP
16:38:34 [markel]
I prefer something like that Si
16:38:43 [shadi]
ack me
16:38:43 [Zakim]
shadi, you wanted to ask klaus about combining symposium with ICCHP
16:38:43 [sharper]
ack shadi
16:39:08 [markel]
SAZ: deadline for ICCHP is 1st of Feb
16:39:16 [markel]
we probably cannot make it
16:39:38 [markel]
SAZ: can we have some invited contributions to that session?
16:40:04 [markel]
SAZ: can we present these results in ICCHP?
16:40:09 [markel]
KM: yes we can do that
16:40:10 [markel]
+
16:40:49 [markel]
SAZ: Simon do you think that the output would also be more than a note and become a contribution to ICCHP
16:41:20 [shadi]
SH: would need to have mobile as second session and get some contribution to ICCHP
16:42:24 [shadi]
...group could formulate input
16:43:17 [markel]
SAZ: we will have a ICCHP preconference workshop which will mention the contributions of the RDWG
16:45:14 [markel]
SAZ: let's talk further about the topics. There's a thematic session about mobility..at a specific topic level we can coordinate with these ICCHP session. Talking generally as a group, KM talked also about a keynote
16:46:08 [shadi]
SH: any other thoughts about this?
16:46:32 [shadi]
MV: happy with any initiative to increase participation
16:46:53 [shadi]
...opportunities at ICCHP is welcome
16:47:06 [shadi]
SH: could look at W4A and potentially ASSETS too
16:47:14 [shadi]
...maybe also CSUN
16:48:12 [markel]
SAZ: CSUN deadline is gone..I think W4A and ASSETS where future participants come from..lets talk about specific issues
16:48:37 [Peter]
q+
16:48:41 [Peter]
ack me
16:48:58 [shadi]
PT: have we decided on the mobile accessibility topic?
16:49:17 [shadi]
SH: not quite yet but will put out the question for decision during the next meeting
16:49:39 [shadi]
...also to check if we combine them or not and to think about the third topic too
16:49:53 [shadi]
...want to give people the opportunity to think about that during the xmas breaks
16:50:03 [shadi]
...but decide right after when we next meet
16:50:16 [shadi]
...we have editors and are ready to go, need to work out the scope
16:50:43 [shadi]
...could have yeliz and peter do mobile, and I pick up another one
16:50:49 [shadi]
...want to keep up the momentum
16:50:55 [Peter]
Zakim, mute me
16:50:55 [Zakim]
Peter should now be muted
16:51:25 [markel]
SAZ: Klaus, I know there are some conditions in your org, maybe you can think about some topics as part of the..project
16:51:32 [markel]
KM: yeah
16:51:33 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
16:51:33 [Zakim]
agendum 7. "Happy Holidays and a Good New Year" taken up [from sharper]
16:52:06 [shadi]
SH: thanks for everyone
16:52:23 [markel]
:-) Happy holidays! It's a pleasure
16:52:38 [Peter]
Have a great holiday!
16:52:43 [markel]
good bye!
16:52:44 [Zakim]
-simon
16:52:46 [Zakim]
-Shadi
16:52:46 [markel]
markel has left #rd
16:52:47 [Zakim]
-markel
16:52:50 [Zakim]
-Klaus
16:52:57 [Zakim]
-Peter.a
17:05:00 [Zakim]
disconnecting the lone participant, Peter, in WAI_RDWG()11:00AM
17:05:03 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()11:00AM has ended
17:05:05 [Zakim]
Attendees were markel, Shadi, simon, Klaus, Peter
17:05:14 [shadi]
trackbot, end meeting
17:05:14 [trackbot]
Zakim, list attendees
17:05:14 [Zakim]
sorry, trackbot, I don't know what conference this is
17:05:15 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, please draft minutes
17:05:15 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/12/15-rd-minutes.html trackbot
17:05:16 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, bye
17:05:16 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items