Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference

15 Dec 2011


See also: IRC log




<trackbot> Date: 15 December 2011


<scribe> Scribe: BenediktKaempgen

<olyerickson> I'll be on in a second... busy day at #TWCRPI ;)

<bhyland> If anyone wanted to share what RDF is with their kids, here is something fun for you to share, see  http://3roundstones.com/linked-data-101/rdf-explained/

<scribe> Scribe: BenediktKaempgen

trackbot-ng, start telcon

<trackbot> Meeting: Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 15 December 2011

<scribe> scribe: BenediktKaempgen

<scribe> chair: bhyland

<bhyland> Did we just kicked off the call?

BenediktKaempgen is connected through Skype. Hope it will stay connected.

bhyland: one more call on 22nd of December?

<HadleyBeeman> I'm travelling on 22 Dec, unfortunately

<George> I can make the 22nd

I cannot

<gatemezin> I can make also on the 22nd

<DanG> I probably can't attend next week. Don't count on me.

Accept last minutes?

PROPOSED: accept minutes

<bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2011-12-08

<George> confirmed :)

<gatemezin> +1

<George> +1

<rreck> someone is breathing quite loudly

<bhyland> Action Item review, see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/open

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Item

minutes accepted?

I am muted.

<olyerickson> zakim aacc is me

<olyerickson> the noise is NOT me

<GeraldSteeman> * The Zakim bridge has the capability to mute conferees. (Muting blocks sound on a conferee's line from being heard on the conference.) Conferees can mute themselves by dialing 61#. In that case, unmute is 60#.

RESOLUTION: accept minutes

Community Directory update

<bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/9

<DanG> I muted for a few seconds, but the sound continued anyway.

<gatemezin> bhyland: action-9 still open

<sandro> martin, it was you making the noise.

action-13: will be send soon

<trackbot> ACTION-13 Post OGV docs as input to GLD on GLD wiki notes added

<gatemezin> DanG: will send documents for action-13 very soon

<gatemezin> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/16

<rreck> can i be involved in that please?

thanks gatemezin

<gatemezin> bhyland: discussion started

<rreck> my good friend Ken Sall talks to me about NIEM all the time

Action Items

<rreck> let's hope it doesnt use anonymous nodes

<gatemezin> ... with Cory.. planning to model and use of conversion programme to RDF

UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: not sure whether good rdf

<gatemezin> action-16 is closed

subtopic: action-18

<sandro> close action-16

<trackbot> ACTION-16 Agreed to facilitate NIEM discussion and get outline started working with bhyland. closed

jerrickson: action item community draft supersedes it?

<gatemezin> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/18

<bhyland> ACTION-18: Agreed to facilitate initial wiki draft on Vocab page on VCAT.

<trackbot> ACTION-18 Agreed to facilitate initial wiki draft on Vocab page on VCAT. notes added

olyerickson: what means wiki draft


<gatemezin> olyerickson: create a Community draft for that, it is the focus

<gatemezin> ..may be that action should be closed


olyerickson: vcat, ok.
... remains open

bhyland: olyerickson please ping George or bhyland to clarify

<DanG> I posted the Open Government Vocabularies documents on 7 December



<gatemezin> action-20 still open

action-21 will be talked about later

subtopic: action-22

<gatemezin> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/22

rreck: wiki content will be synthesized
... will have something relatively substantial.

action-23 - anyone heard from TopQuadrant

action-24 - community draft, dcat

<gatemezin> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/24

olyerickson: should be done rather soon
... sill some issues in discussion, e.g., language issue

<gatemezin> olyerickson: still have some issues in discussion, like the language issue

olyerickson: people might be surprised that not much has changed

bhyland: enough open discussion

olyerickson: yes, there was some discussion

bhyland: what does the deadline mean?

<George> that's a semic.eu deadline i believe

olyerickson: put something readable on W3C page


<bhyland> https://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/25

George: part of data.gov discussion.

Relevant to procurement section, therefore included.

scribe: Should be easy for Richard to recapture

<olyerickson> Re DCAT discussions, see e.g. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-gld-wg/2011Dec/thread.html

action-26 - what does it mean?

<sandro> action-26?

<trackbot> ACTION-26 -- Bernadette Hyland to pull the list of things to check and notify the group -- due 2011-12-15 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/26

bhyland: maybe f2f?
... scribes please create understandable action items

<olyerickson> ... notice the dcat:language thread

Community Directory update

<bhyland> http://dir.w3.org/

<gatemezin> action-26: not understanding what does it mean...

<trackbot> ACTION-26 Pull the list of things to check and notify the group notes added

<bhyland> Stats on community directory, http://dir.w3.org/page/number-of-organizations-by-country.xhtml?view

bhyland: stats are interesting
... information about deployments is not necessarily understandable
... more feedback appreciated
... ?? is much into it
... aim - vibrant list of what each one in the group is doing

<bhyland> Someone suggested adding this, http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/latc/toollibrary/

bhyland: maybe maintained by DERI folks?

<George> chris bizer - most of these tools appear to be what's in http://stack.lod2.eu

bhyland: makes it sense to reach out to them?

up to 200 companies that do something with Linked Data

George: thinks, yes.

olyerickson: yes

<bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Best_Practices_Discussion_Summary

<gatemezin> +1

Best Practices update

bhyland: please make clear if you work on the wiki. Provide links and update.

Mike_Pendleton: give preliminary overview. During next weeks. John Sherridon will be asked.

bhyland: John Sheridan will have a lot to say about this.

suptopic: Vocabulary Selection update

bhyland: anything happening with this?
... none on the call

subtopic: URI Construction update

<bhyland> subtopic: Stability, see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Best_Practices_Discussion_Summary#2.2.5_Stability

Ron: Trying to figure out what is missing.
... problem space needs to be defined

bhyland: does rather look like a draft not descriptive enough
... any guidance?

<bhyland> Ron referred to another page, I think it is http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Best_Practices_Discussion_Stability

<bhyland> Includes discussion of "conservation", "preservation of access" and "preservation of content"

<George> is this http://www.mementoweb.org/ relevant?

Ron: topics - conservation, preservation of access, preservation of content

bhyland: sounds good.

<bhyland> Recommend you look at this page for ideas on suggesting best practices, http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/REC-mwabp-20101214/

bhyland: has been useful for the cook book also
... really short but gives good pointers
... a starting point

Ron: Struggling rather with organisation and writing in descriptive manner

than with the content.

<gatemezin> who can unmuted me?

<olyerickson> +1 to format in http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/REC-mwabp-20101214/

<gatemezin> please asgain?

<George> press 4 1 #

<gatemezin> sorry...

subtopic: Cook book

hyland: boris and I have added something

Schedule & milestones review

<bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/charter

bhyland: Some things to do in December.
... bhyland: f2f in January. Anyone wants to comment?

<sandro> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/charter#timeline

bhyland: Someone wants to share thoughts?

George: Middle ground regarding size.

<bhyland> That is Sandro speaking, not Sandro

George: Difficult to balance.


<bhyland> np

DanG: did not know what to expect

<GeraldSteeman> All new to me as well. Not sure where to plug in.

<bhyland> DanG: RE: making progress & meeting deliverables, I haven't been one of these before & don't know what to expect

<olyerickson> I think it's about what I expected...simply dealing with multiple time demands

bhyland: more often technical aspects, which helps with guidance. This is quite a different WG.

<olyerickson> I do think that "critical mass" is an issue, since the group has several important deliverables and they only slightly overlap, thus requiring multiple sub-groups/teams working on individual tasks

bhyland: we have a lot of invited experts.

<Yigal> Same here. I haven't been that involved -- but my intention was to become better acquainted with this community, and to find places where I *can* contribute.

bhyland: More about pulling things together and checking whether up-to-date.
... Trying less to create new things.
... Recommends all to put together efforts. People are looking for help with Linked Data.

Sandro: Are there people on the call that do not know where to help?

bhyland: cendi talk or similar are very useful for the group.
... encourages all to make available such information

<GeraldSteeman> Will do.

<gatemezin> Who is Cendi? any pointer?

<GeraldSteeman> http://cendi.gov

<gatemezin> @GeralSteeman: Thanks

bhyland: cendi is user's group of it people that are interested in preservation of science information
... very interesting use cases. bhyland gave talk about rdf.

<GeraldSteeman> http://cendi.gov/minutes/pa_1111.html

<tgheen> @bernadette: Walt Warnick at Dept of Energy still wants to talk to you

<bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/F2F2

F2F2 Plans

<gatemezin> DanG: not have an answer today

DanG: Need to start F2F very early morning. Caviat. May make offer untenable.

bhyland: maybe start f2f later
... 5 hour time difference is a problem

DanG: Security is not an issue.
... tries to have a resolution today.

<bhyland> ACTION: DanG to confirm when US Bureau of Labor Stats can be open for our meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/15-gld-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-27 - Confirm when US Bureau of Labor Stats can be open for our meeting [on Dan Gillman - due 2011-12-22].

<Yigal> What is the address for the BLS, by the way?

<bhyland> It is work on the part of the hosts so we should confirm attendance, see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/F2F2#Who

bhyland: Anyone interested to confirm that he/she will be there?

Benedikt will be at DERI.

<gatemezin> I confirm that I'll be there...

bhyland: community building would be very helpful for deliverables.

<gatemezin> My organization needs the agenda for administrative protocole

bhyland: versioning, legacy part in charter needs to be better framed.
... will be taking it to the mailing list

<olyerickson> No announcements at this time ;)

<gatemezin> So, finally we meet next week?

bhyland: many calls

<gatemezin> +1

<sandro> I can make it

<GeraldSteeman> i can

<gatemezin> I can

I cannot, sorry.

<olyerickson> I can make it to the call

<Mike_Pendleton> I can make it

bhyland: We will have a call next week. Half a dozen people is good.
... lots of things discuss (f2f, f2f venue, framing of charter topics)

<gatemezin> thanks!!


<rreck> bubye

<bhyland> DanG: Please add name of any hotel that may have gov't rate on offer, you can update http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/F2F2

<bhyland> thanks

<olyerickson> Bye!

<bhyland> Benedikt, do you need any help with writing the minutes?

maybe, thanks for asking. I am about to try it.

<bhyland> See http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.12.15#Scribe.27s_End_of_Meeting_Checklist

<bhyland> for instructions

<bhyland> I'm here if you need any help ...

<bhyland> or have any trouble ...


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: DanG to confirm when US Bureau of Labor Stats can be open for our meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/15-gld-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/12/15 16:04:39 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/acton/action/
Succeeded: s/??/DanG/
Succeeded: s/??/olyerickson/
Succeeded: s/??/rreck/
Succeeded: s/??/olyerickson/
Succeeded: s/olyerrickson/olyerickson/
Succeeded: s/waht/what/
Succeeded: s/Sherridon/Sheridan/
Succeeded: s/mike/Mike_Pendleton/
Succeeded: s/George/Sandro/
Succeeded: s/??/DanG/
Succeeded: s/??/DanG/
Found Scribe: BenediktKaempgen
Inferring ScribeNick: BenediktKaempgen
Found Scribe: BenediktKaempgen
Inferring ScribeNick: BenediktKaempgen
Found Scribe: BenediktKaempgen
Inferring ScribeNick: BenediktKaempgen

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: ACTION-18 BenediktKaempgen DanG DruidSmith_ Druidsmith George GeraldSteeman HadleyBeeman IPcaller LC MacTed Mike_Pendleton P38 P41 PROPOSED Ron Yigal aaaa aabb aacc action-13 action-26 benediktkempgen bhyland cygri danbri davidwood gatemezin gld https hyland jerrickson joined luisbermudez martin olyerickson raphael rreck sandro subtopic suptopic tgheen trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.12.15#Agenda
Found Date: 15 Dec 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/12/15-gld-minutes.html
People with action items: dang

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]