The meeting focused primarily on the outeach, led by Jennifer Sutton, around the document Contacting Organizations about Inaccessible Websites. Outreach efforts are documented on the EOWG w iki page dedicated to the promotional effort. The discussion was tactical about how best to use the wiki to coordinate efforts and what members had observed about uptake and results. All commended Jennifer for accomplishing so much in a week. Additional outreach, including translation and distribution was discussed and assigned.
The remainder of the meeting was spent reviewing the use of the tools and planning future outreach and activities. Details of how to use the wiki with the screenreader, how to most effectively use the tracker, general guidelines for posting etc. The group agreed that, in general we will not assign actions to members without their permission. There is one exception to this general rule. Members in good standing who are unable to attend a meeting will be given an action to review the minutes of the meeting that they missed. To facilitate time spent on that task, we will ensure that all minutes begin with a summary paragraph that links to new action items and other group decisions. The group briefly discussed How to Make Presentations Accessible to All and availability for 2012 face to face meetings. Only one more meeting will be held in 2011 - the one on Dec 16th.
Shawn:Jennifer, you want to share lessons learned:
Jennifer:First is the wiki - I believe I have captured all the outreach and results in the wiki. Some items (like retweets) I did not document and there are some instances
...where I do not have actual names.
...We used the wiki to show who was contacted and I also posted whatever results there were as I become aware of them. Sharron, you may want to do the same with your posts.
...If you send to Refresh and Drupal lists, it would be helpful to note those to the wiki.Wayne's CSU-centric message should also be there.
Shawn:Yes I did that.
Jennifer:It seems easier to me to manage info in wiki.
<Shawn> ACTION: EVERYONE: For Promoting Contacting Inaccessible Orgs -- list all of your contacts at http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Promoting_Contact_Orgs_Inacces sible_Sit es#EOWG_Recent_Contacts [recorded in http://www.w3 .org/2011/12/09-eo-minutes.html#action01]
<Shawn> ACTION: EVERYONE: For Promoting Contacting Inaccessible Orgs -- list any results you see at http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Promoting_Contact_Orgs_Inaccessi ble_Sit es#Published_Dec_2011[recorded in http://www.w3 .org/2011/12/09-eo-minutes.html#action02]
Sharron:Wiki is easy to use, I posted just that one thing. I think it quite useful to track where outreach has gone.
Shawn:I rearranged it so that we could point people to the wiki. We may not want to do that a ot, but it is a resource.
Jennifer: I considered that, but thought it could be too much information for most people.
Shawn: I rearranged it and made a skeleton page as a template for future use.
Shawn: In terms of next steps, Sylvie is working on a translation...anything else?
Sharron: Are we sending press releases?
Shawn:W3C would not be able to get one out, since it is not a priority. would have to go through so many channels. ...but I did create a page of contacts for promotion.
<Shawn> ACTION for EVERYONE: Add ideas for Contacts for Promotion http://ww w.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Contacts_for_promotion (feel free to reorganize it)[recorded in http://w ww.w3.org/2011/12/09-eo-minutes.html#action03]
Shawn:And other organziations can send press releases to let publicatins know about this outreach campaign.
Sharron:Yes, that might be somewhat useful, but if the W3C sends out to say we are doing this people are more likely to pay attention.
<scribe> ACTION:Shawn investigate light weight press release [recorded in http://www.w3 .org/2011/12/09-eo-minutes.html#action04]
Shawn: Jennifer, if we got disability orgs covered are we confident that we reached out to organizations that serve various disabilitites?
Jennifer: Given the time crunch we got who I could reach quickly, which is largely blindness related.
... Given the ton of retweets we don't know where we reached really.
Shawn: There is some ability to track through the RT and through bit.ly
Jennifer: Twitter changes to its own link format, everyone tries to get a piece of the traction action which makes tracking more complicated.
Shawn: What is useful to quantify or record?
Jennifer: The simplest would be to track click-through on these pages. Do people just RT or do they actually read the pages we reference?
Shawn: Yes that is a genuine concern. It would be really good to continue to reach out this month to additional disability organizations.
... we could diversify our contacts, looking for organizations in other countries that serve various disabilities.
<scribe> ACTION: Sharron to contact national organizations [recorded in http://www.w3 .org/2011/12/09-eo-minutes.html#action05]
Jennifer: Pick five that will give you the most bang for the buck.
Shawn: Couple of things to do. We want to avoid duplicates. We want to show what we did as a working group. Document who we sent to.
Sharron: It is still a US-centric list.
... do we have someone outside the US who could do more European outreach?
Shawn: Emmanuelle, could you consider how and who you could reach out to?
Shawn: The first page has messages that are tied to holiday shopping...
... you might reach out to people who have a blog?
<shawn> Emmanuelle: people are thinking about the holidays
Emmanuelle You want people to share this document on their blog? in Spanish?
Shawn: Yes, you may want to read the first link about how we are promoting it.
<scribe> ACTION: Shawn to send points in email to Emmanuelle [recorded in http://www.w3 .org/2011/12/09-eo-minutes.html#action06]
<scribe> ACTION: Emmanuelle to translate and distribute to disability orgs and bloggers. [recorded in http://www.w3 .org/2011/12/09-eo-minutes.html#action07]
Sylvie: I want to have it read by colleagues. When I read the sample emails it references English language articles. That is a problem for the French audience.
Shawn: Perhaps let the readers know, for now that it is in English. Here is the documents in direct translation. At the bottom, you can add additional information, noting that it is not in the original.
... I am not sure what the policy is for that. My feeling is that as long as it is totally really really clear what part of it is the official original WAI doucment in translation. Then, clearly delineated at another part of the document for localization additional informaiton can be added and annotated.
... if it worked out that you could post it next week and we could still do some promotion around the holiday theme.
Sylvie: I had a look at the wiki and when I look at the page for "Contacting Orgs..." I don't know how or where to add my information?
... do I need to add an h3, h4...are there rules for that?
Shawn: Do it as you think would work best.
... this is just for our internal work. We are all contributing.
Jennifer: You must log in with your WAI credentials and the edit ability for each section.
Sylvie: How do we tell what is new, what has been added, etc.
Jennifer: You can use the history link. Or you can put a Watch on that page that will send email when anyone updates.
Shawn: You have the ability to comment about what you are changing. It is useful and I think it would be good for us to get in the habit of doing that.
Jennifer: Is that helpful, Sylvie?
Sylvie: It was not very easy to understand the changes using a screenreader.
Shawn: You can search for a plus and minus to see what has been added and what has been deleted.
... other questions?
... This is a bit of a cultural change for EO but it will be very useful. Now if you have done significant changes, you can put them directly in the wiki and alert the group through email.
Jennifer: We are all figuring it out and you can't really do anything wrong at this point.
Shawn: Let's look through...Ian CSS for slides?
Ian: Sent you an email about that earlier today.
Shawn: your other items?
Ian: Yes, they are all in progress. Will publish in the next few days.
Shawn: Great, when that is done, update actions.
Ian: Will do.
Shawn: any other comments?
Sharron: Love the tracker!
Jennifer: Thanks Sylvie for getting me started.
Shawn: What do you think about posting a summary in the minutes of the key points or decisions? and if someone is not at the meeting, they get an Action to review the minutes.
Ian: We said we'd not assign actions to others.
Shawn: This would be the exception that all agree to in advance.
... the requirement to review would be facilitated by the summary of keypoints.
Sharron: It makes sense to me.
Jennifer: Can the bots help with the summary?
Shawn: No just with the ACTION item summary.
Sharron: It's OK to do the summary as part of clean up especially if you do it right away.
Jennifer: And if Sharron's not here, and someone else has trouble with the summary, they can ask for someone else to do it.
Ian: I think the summary is a good idea. As long as we have all agreed that it's OK to assign to others that one thing.
... having a link to the logs and the summary would be helpful.
Sharron: Yes, would be really good to know who is active and contributing within the group so we know who can help with these campaigns.
Shawn: So members in good standing will get the action.
...Let's get through December and then sort it out.
Shawn: We put out a draft last year. It was one big documents and we then worked in an expand and collapse function. We have been talking about promoting it around the conference season.
... as we worked on expand/collapse we has thoughts about reorganizing it.
... please review and comment or share any ideas you ahve now.
Sharron: None from me, I haven't looked at it in a while.
Jennifer: How shall we format our comments?
Shawn: This is kind of a tangential document to our central focus of making the web more accessible.
... at the same time it has huge potential. Considering those two aspects, think about it, make a suggestion if you ahve a thought. Easy fixes preferred :) But if there is something that you feel very strongly about, please clarify that point.
Ian: What's the consideration for the expand/collapse? Are we considering removing it?
Shawn: No but it's buggy, and Shadi is working on changes.
... they are working on a different approach using ARIA.
Ian: I'll contact Shadi to give some help.
<scribe> ACTION: Ian to contact Shadi and offer to help with the Expand-Collapse functioanlity if needed. [recorded in http://www.w3 .org/2011/12/09-eo-minutes.html#action08]
Shawn: Remember that we will be looking at the action items out of context and so they need to be worded very specifically .
<scribe> ACTION: for EVERYONE: Review http://www.w3.org/WAI /training/accessible.php for any quick & easy updates, especially re-grouping the lower sections [recorded in http://w ww.w3.org/2011/12/09-eo-minutes.html#action09]
Ian: I will contact the course organizers beforehand and ask if they cover anything like this. It seems particularly relevant.
Shawn: There is a wiki page (just a skeleton now). But if you contact them please do list it.
Shawn: Remember that Chris Mills came to talk about the WebEd Education Group. He is quite active and has started a style guide. He included an accessiiblity section - yay! In the first draft, he had a list of tips for what to do.
... you can link to the previous draft to see that original list. The section is now completely changed. He had a kind of general check list.
... there are issues with a short list like that. While it is nice to have a quick start, it is always going to leave things out. Instead, we have changed to a link to WCAG at a Glance and links to more detailed resources.
... what are your thoughts on how it is now as a Style Guide and where we might want to go?
Sharron: Seems an excellent placeholder for now.
Shawn: If someone knows nothing about accessiiblity, is this enough of a starting point?
... is it clear enough what the requirements actually are?
Ian: Skimming the code samples, I am pleased to approve...link to WCAG is probablymost important thing to have. I am good with this.
Shawn: Keep this in consideration. I told them we would not have time to work on it in December, but wanted it on our radar.
Ian: Is this the evolution of Chris's previous Web Ed work?
Shawn: The TPAC is fairly certain, the others are tentative as F2F possibilities.
... Look over those dates. Anything else for today? Plan to meet next week and then probably not the last two weeks in December. Thanks to all for your work on Contacting Orgs.
Jennifer: I appreciate everyone's jumping in.http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Promotin g_Contact_Orgs_Inaccessible_Sites#EOWG_Recent_Contacts [recorded in http://w ww.w3.org/2011/12/09-eo-minutes.html#action01]