IRC log of rd on 2011-11-24

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:57:53 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #rd
15:57:53 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2011/11/24-rd-irc
15:57:55 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
15:57:57 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #rd
15:57:59 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 7394
15:57:59 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see WAI_RDWG()11:00AM scheduled to start in 3 minutes
15:58:01 [trackbot]
Meeting: Research and Development Working Group Teleconference
15:58:03 [trackbot]
Date: 24 November 2011
15:58:17 [shadi]
zakim, call shadi-617
15:58:17 [Zakim]
ok, shadi; the call is being made
15:58:18 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()11:00AM has now started
15:58:19 [Zakim]
+Shadi
15:59:06 [Mario]
Mario has joined #rd
15:59:46 [shadi]
Chair: Harper_Simon
15:59:46 [shadi]
Agenda+ Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)
15:59:46 [shadi]
Agenda+ Seminar Logistics
15:59:46 [shadi]
Agenda+ Any Other Business
16:00:22 [Peter]
Peter has joined #rd
16:00:30 [shadi]
zakim, take up agendum 1
16:00:30 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)" taken up [from shadi]
16:01:07 [markel]
markel has joined #rd
16:01:09 [Zakim]
+??P8
16:01:17 [Peter]
??P8 is me
16:01:42 [Peter]
Zakim, ??P8 is me
16:01:42 [Zakim]
+Peter; got it
16:01:51 [sharper]
sharper has joined #rd
16:01:57 [Peter]
Zakim, mute me
16:01:57 [Zakim]
Peter should now be muted
16:02:25 [giorgio]
giorgio has joined #rd
16:02:29 [Zakim]
+ +43.680.306.aaaa
16:02:47 [Zakim]
+??P17
16:03:04 [sharper]
zakim, ??P17 is sharper
16:03:04 [Zakim]
+sharper; got it
16:03:07 [shadi]
zakim, aaaa is Mario
16:03:07 [Zakim]
+Mario; got it
16:03:20 [Peter]
:)
16:03:21 [giorgio]
hi there. Unfortunately today I'm without voice
16:03:26 [shadi]
agenda?
16:03:38 [Zakim]
+??P20
16:03:40 [Peter]
I can scribe?
16:03:58 [markel]
Zakim, ??P20 is me
16:03:59 [Zakim]
+markel; got it
16:05:16 [Peter]
sure - I'll be more verbose :)
16:05:26 [Mario]
Zakim, mute me
16:05:26 [Zakim]
Mario should now be muted
16:05:48 [giorgio]
thank you shadi-
16:06:38 [Peter]
Yes
16:06:49 [shadi]
scribe: peter
16:06:51 [Peter]
Oh my, how do I do that again?
16:06:53 [Peter]
:)
16:07:01 [sharper]
zakim, take up item 1
16:07:01 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)" taken up [from shadi]
16:07:17 [sharper]
regrets+ Conway_Vivienne
16:07:35 [sharper]
regrets+ O'Connor_Joshue
16:08:12 [Peter]
Perfect thanks - I'm very good at copying and pasting
16:08:16 [sharper]
zakim, close item 1
16:08:16 [Zakim]
agendum 1, Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments), closed
16:08:16 [sharper]
zakim, take up item 2
16:08:18 [Zakim]
I see 2 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
16:08:19 [Zakim]
2. Seminar Logistics [from shadi]
16:08:20 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Seminar Logistics" taken up [from shadi]
16:09:10 [Peter]
Simon: Shadi could you give us a quick overview of who's signed up ...
16:09:38 [Peter]
Shadi: I was expecting about 20-30 people but we had lines for 50 people - booked with in less than 24 hours
16:10:00 [Peter]
… I'm trying to get some more lines which may or may not work
16:10:18 [Peter]
…also about 20-30% of the people who registered will not attend
16:10:32 [Zakim]
+??P28
16:10:39 [Peter]
…people who need to be on the call, I'll make sure to get them signed up
16:10:49 [Mario]
Hi Giorgio!
16:10:59 [shadi]
zakim, ??p28 is giorgio
16:10:59 [Zakim]
+giorgio; got it
16:11:05 [shadi]
zakim, mute giorgio
16:11:05 [Zakim]
giorgio should now be muted
16:11:09 [Peter]
Simon: Excellent, the fact that so many people are interested
16:11:13 [giorgio]
ok
16:11:44 [Peter]
Shadi: I think this is really great and the registrant are publicly documented on the submission list.
16:11:52 [Peter]
…it looks like a good audience
16:12:02 [shadi]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd-submission/
16:12:03 [Peter]
…some people I know other's I don't
16:12:08 [Peter]
:)
16:12:45 [Peter]
…we have people from all around the world Japan, … corporations and academia - so it seams like a pretty good mix
16:13:03 [Peter]
… Giorgio I was saying that anyone who needs to be on the call… I have some leway
16:13:15 [giorgio]
q+
16:13:36 [Peter]
…live captioning will be available and available on the Web
16:13:50 [Peter]
…I'm not planning to record the call as an audio file but instead provide captions/logs
16:14:29 [Peter]
…I also tried to put on the public facing pages that this is not an intro and on the messaging announcement warning about this
16:15:08 [Peter]
Simon: I agree on all those things, and looking at the list I recognize 90% of the people and esp. Amy from Oracle etc. Its good to see this many people.
16:15:21 [Peter]
…It's good that its both industry and researchers
16:15:30 [Peter]
…I was expecting less people, this is really excellent!
16:15:56 [Peter]
…We got everything to make this first call to gain interest ...
16:16:08 [Peter]
…They're all possibilities to join if we have a good seminar
16:16:12 [sharper]
ack g
16:16:13 [shadi]
ack g
16:16:33 [shadi]
q+ to say more about meeting moderation
16:16:46 [Peter]
Giorgio: I was going to ask Shadi that the caption would be equivalent to scribing. So will we have enough information to reconstruct the call ...?
16:17:00 [Peter]
Shadi: Yes, this is going to be professional captioning ...
16:17:08 [sharper]
ack s
16:17:08 [Zakim]
shadi, you wanted to say more about meeting moderation
16:17:39 [Peter]
…so no need to do minutes. Of course I guess the session chairs will be taking the notes for further work. We might also want to produce a summary of the highlights ...
16:17:59 [giorgio]
ok; one more thing ..
16:18:27 [Peter]
Giorgio: one more thing, I sent you an email by two of the authors who weren't able to enlist, David Sloan, in particular
16:18:41 [Peter]
Shadi: As I said those people, speakers, certainly we will get in
16:19:09 [Peter]
Simon: on this list, you can see that David Sloan is on the list
16:19:23 [Peter]
…I'm not sure who is the other one
16:19:44 [Peter]
Shadi: I may have missed this email … did send an email to authors who were not registered
16:20:07 [Peter]
…I think their were only 2 or 3 and asking to email to register
16:20:12 [Peter]
…please resend
16:20:22 [Peter]
Giorgio: if David is registered then their is no problem
16:20:33 [Peter]
…the day after the notice he tried to register but it was closed ...
16:20:50 [shadi]
ack me
16:20:51 [Peter]
Shadi: Unfortunately within 24 hours I had to close registration
16:21:28 [Peter]
…logistics: about the meeting moderation. The meeting will work as follows: each registered person will receive an email from me with both the dialling code and a personal code.
16:21:45 [Peter]
… so a little different than the typical work group meeting - you have to type in two codes
16:21:55 [Peter]
…so that only registered people can call in
16:22:00 [Peter]
…we will have an IRC channel
16:22:35 [Peter]
…I encourage all the session chairs and work group members to join this channel. It will be on the same hash ID and you'll be able to see the people who joined the code (based on pass code)
16:22:43 [Peter]
…by default everyone will be muted when they join
16:22:47 [markel]
irc is also good to make questions
16:23:05 [Peter]
…by typing "41#" in their phone they can virtually raise their hand
16:23:18 [Peter]
… I will be muting and unmuting the people (moderating)
16:23:56 [Peter]
…you can unmute yourselves from IRC as well but I encourage you to get a good phone setup and I will unmute the presenters and raises their hand (virtually)
16:24:21 [Peter]
…it will be very strongly moderated. The instructions will be in the email and repeated during the call as well.
16:24:38 [giorgio]
ok
16:24:40 [giorgio]
q+
16:24:45 [Peter]
…I encourage the session chairs that if people want to speak up they need to type "41#" to raise their hand (virtually)?
16:24:48 [Mario]
OK, I like it too.
16:24:56 [Peter]
Simon: what happens if you type "41#" now?
16:25:03 [Peter]
Shadi: yup it works now
16:25:10 [sharper]
ack simon
16:25:17 [sharper]
ack sharper
16:25:21 [Peter]
…most commands are available through the keypad...
16:25:35 [Peter]
…"40#" takes you off the queue...
16:25:43 [markel]
I agree with the strict moderation protocol, sounds reasonable. I also agree with sending the instructions by email
16:25:48 [Peter]
…same with mute "61#" ...
16:26:36 [Peter]
…At first I was thinking people can join IRC but so many people will probably be new to IRC … and have the WG join IRC … and everyone else join the call...
16:26:40 [Peter]
Simon: agreed
16:26:42 [sharper]
ack g
16:26:52 [Peter]
Giorgio: so the main idea is to use the phone only and not IRC?
16:27:24 [Peter]
Shadi: so I encourage you to … join IRC so you can see who's raising their hand … and other commands. WG participants are also welcome …
16:27:38 [Peter]
Giorgio: so "41#" == "q+"
16:27:56 [Peter]
Shadi: those are actually commands of the phone bridge and IRC acts as a phone bridge ...
16:28:28 [Peter]
Giorgio: as a suggestion for the letter to be sent to participants with minimal instructions on how to use the system
16:28:35 [giorgio]
ok
16:28:37 [Mario]
Don't tell them how to numute themselves!
16:28:42 [Peter]
Shadi: the only thing they will need to know is "41#" to speak up
16:28:53 [Peter]
…if they want to get off the queue … (commands)
16:29:10 [giorgio]
good.
16:29:20 [Peter]
…they don't need to know any of the other commands
16:29:54 [Peter]
…Gogio one last thing I see that you've already received some papers and was asked if we can go beyond the word limits
16:30:05 [Peter]
…I'm expecting to receive the paper so I can post them over the weekend
16:30:21 [Peter]
Giorgio: I wasn't sure about this, was this an email that you didn't get? … Did you get ...
16:30:38 [Peter]
Shadi: I got them but I would prefer if you send me a final list of agreed papers ..
16:30:38 [markel]
q+
16:30:52 [Peter]
… I had asked the speakers to put everyone on CC
16:30:56 [sharper]
ack m
16:30:57 [Peter]
Markel: I think we are all getting them
16:31:14 [Peter]
…I have one question, some papers that were conditional acceptance upon changes
16:31:25 [Peter]
…for volunteers to check the changes, what's the deadline?
16:31:45 [Peter]
Shadi: unfortunately this is some of the stuff we didn't plan time for…as soon as possible
16:31:56 [Peter]
…the papers we already received 1 or 2 these can already be checked
16:32:09 [giorgio]
ok; we will send them to you
16:32:13 [Peter]
…thats why Giorgio I'd like to see the approved papers from the session chairs
16:32:29 [Peter]
…there might be 1 or 2 missing that need review and we can put them online Mon/Tues
16:32:46 [Peter]
Markel: so as soon as the papers are available I'll check ...
16:32:58 [Peter]
…what if the papers don't follow the conditions?
16:33:21 [Peter]
Simon: if so, we'll have to get in contact with them but that is something I can do … and discuss that in more detail with the editors
16:33:30 [Peter]
…but we'll take it on faith that they made the changes ...
16:33:42 [Peter]
…we'll cross that when we come to it
16:33:58 [Peter]
Shadi: one thing that I rally on session chair is that the papers are accessible
16:34:06 [Peter]
…eg. if the diagram is well described ...
16:34:25 [Peter]
…there might be one paper that may be at risk at not meeting the conditions
16:34:43 [Peter]
….the 1000 limit is one of the questions I've received, if they can extend … the answer is no
16:34:52 [giorgio]
q+
16:35:06 [Peter]
…for future things we may re-think if we want to extend the limit
16:35:13 [shadi]
ack g
16:35:35 [Peter]
Giorgio: I would slightly more tolerant in answering to David Sloan that the limit be removed ...
16:35:42 [Peter]
…it doesn't make a big difference
16:35:46 [Mario]
+1
16:35:53 [Peter]
Shadi: I may have responded to David
16:36:13 [Peter]
…feel free to overwrite my response and say that after discussion … going over the limit is ok
16:36:22 [Peter]
…I think this is an issue we should come back to later
16:36:29 [giorgio]
ok
16:36:29 [Peter]
Simon: we should look at how this one goes ...
16:36:39 [Peter]
Shadi: for this time please get back to David ...
16:36:53 [Peter]
…since we told everyone 1000 words, it was more out of fairness ...
16:37:22 [markel]
i'm fine by now
16:37:23 [Peter]
Giorgio: I don't think I got your response Shadi
16:37:26 [Peter]
Shadi: to David?
16:37:30 [Peter]
Giorgio: yes
16:37:41 [Peter]
Shadi: someone did ask me offline, did he ask you offline?
16:37:52 [Peter]
Giorgio: I'll check again
16:38:04 [Peter]
Shadi: or maybe thats what I thought I wanted to answer and never did
16:38:10 [Peter]
…I'm looking back as well
16:38:34 [Peter]
…I'll send you …I tried to put you in CC to make sure your aware of what's happening. Let me double check my emails ...
16:38:53 [Peter]
…there was at least one other question that I may have responded to
16:39:30 [Peter]
…to recap: Girogio and Markel: please send me by tomorrow end of day whatever papers you have, and whatever is left to review, send whenever your ready on Monday or Tuesday.
16:39:35 [giorgio]
ok for me
16:39:38 [markel]
ok
16:39:43 [Peter]
…I'll be travelling but should have good internet access and able to online
16:40:10 [Peter]
Simon: one thing to say, what people think about next thursday's session?
16:40:20 [Peter]
…do we want to focus on the following monday's teleconference?
16:40:32 [Peter]
…or any other business like the wiki such as the next topic ...
16:40:35 [giorgio]
we can do both
16:40:46 [giorgio]
q+
16:40:50 [Peter]
Shadi: I probably won't be able to attend next weeks teleconference
16:40:52 [Mario]
I'm travelling next Thursday, cannot attend next TelCo.
16:41:02 [Peter]
…if there is something that needs my attendance I will
16:41:13 [Peter]
Simon: we can keep a list of things we need feedback from you on
16:41:26 [markel]
we can start discussing about the new topic + last minute logistics
16:41:30 [Peter]
…we can do a 5 minute about logistics and also after we can go on to look at the wiki
16:41:35 [giorgio]
q-
16:41:38 [Peter]
…I don't think we need your attendance for that
16:42:01 [Peter]
Shadi: regarding future topics, I want to raise the group's attention to mobile accessibility
16:42:06 [Peter]
(oooooooow!!!!:)
16:42:29 [Peter]
…on the political level and many groups … I'll try to put some more stuff on the wiki and advocate for that
16:42:45 [Peter]
Simon: I think I agree with you and on the User agent group we're working on that
16:43:03 [Peter]
…if we have an idea what the W3C wants us to do or ideas about what input they'd like
16:43:27 [Peter]
…we wouldn't want it to be directionless … some sort of focus might be mutually beneficial for the W3C within the 3 month cycle
16:43:42 [Peter]
Shadi: maybe Simon you and I should attend the next coordination group meeting
16:44:04 [Peter]
…also another thing, the web consortium that basically want to contribute to the wiki and maybe the next teleconference
16:44:09 [Peter]
…maybe one of the future meetings
16:44:13 [Peter]
Simon: sounds interesting
16:44:14 [shadi]
3D Web Consortium
16:44:34 [Peter]
scribe: replace web consortium with 3d web consortium
16:44:48 [Peter]
Shadi: thanks to the session chairs and group I'm really looking forward to this!
16:44:57 [Peter]
Simon: thanks' … :)
16:45:03 [Peter]
cheers ttyl
16:45:06 [Mario]
See you soon, bye
16:45:06 [Zakim]
-markel
16:45:07 [Zakim]
-giorgio
16:45:07 [Zakim]
-Shadi
16:45:09 [Zakim]
-sharper
16:45:12 [Zakim]
-Mario
16:45:12 [markel]
markel has left #rd
16:45:17 [sharper]
Bye!
16:46:10 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
16:46:10 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Peter
16:46:16 [shadi]
zakim, drop peter
16:46:16 [Zakim]
Peter is being disconnected
16:46:17 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()11:00AM has ended
16:46:19 [Zakim]
Attendees were Shadi, Peter, +43.680.306.aaaa, sharper, Mario, markel, giorgio
16:46:23 [shadi]
trackbot, end meeting
16:46:23 [trackbot]
Zakim, list attendees
16:46:23 [Zakim]
sorry, trackbot, I don't know what conference this is
16:46:24 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, please draft minutes
16:46:24 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/11/24-rd-minutes.html trackbot
16:46:25 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, bye
16:46:25 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items