IRC log of xproc on 2011-11-10

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:56:44 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #xproc
14:56:44 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2011/11/10-xproc-irc
14:56:47 [Norm]
invite zakim #xproc
14:57:40 [Norm]
Meeting: XML Processing Model WG
14:57:40 [Norm]
Date: 10 November 2011
14:57:40 [Norm]
Agenda: http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2011/11/10-agenda
14:57:40 [Norm]
Meeting: 202
14:57:40 [Norm]
Chair: Norm
14:57:41 [Norm]
Scribe: Norm
14:57:43 [Norm]
ScribeNick: Norm
14:58:18 [jfuller_]
ummm, lost telcon details ... anyone got uk telcon and our code ?
14:58:48 [Norm]
The XML Processing Model (XProc) WG will meet on Thursday, 10 Nov 2011 at 10:00a EST (07:00a PST, 15:00GMT, 16:00CET) for one hour on the W3C Zakim Bridge, +1-617-761-6200 (or +33-4-26-46-79-03 or +44.203-318-0479), passcode 97762# ("XPROC").
14:58:51 [ht]
ht has joined #xproc
14:59:02 [ht]
call today?
14:59:07 [Norm]
Actually, I don't think those numbers work naymore. SIP only for UK calls?
14:59:11 [Norm]
ht, yes. probably short.
14:59:19 [ht]
yes, sip only for uk
14:59:19 [Norm]
I suppose I should have given us the week off, but forgot
14:59:49 [Norm]
zakim, code?
14:59:56 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #xproc
15:00:19 [Norm]
no, zakim's just really slow
15:00:38 [ht]
zakim, this will be xproc
15:00:39 [Zakim]
ok, ht; I see XML_PMWG()10:00AM scheduled to start now
15:00:45 [Norm]
Snowpocalypse: http://norman.walsh.name/2011/11/10/snowpocalypse
15:00:48 [jfuller_]
almost there ...
15:01:47 [Norm]
zakim, who's here?
15:01:59 [Zakim]
XML_PMWG()10:00AM has not yet started, Norm
15:02:10 [Norm]
zakim, this is xproc
15:02:25 [Zakim]
On IRC I see ht, RRSAgent, Norm, PGrosso, jfuller_, Liam, caribou
15:02:30 [ht]
zakim, code?
15:02:42 [Zakim]
Norm, this was already XML_PMWG()10:00AM
15:02:44 [Zakim]
ok, Norm; that matches XML_PMWG()10:00AM
15:02:49 [Norm]
zakim, who's here?
15:03:12 [jfuller_]
I have updated processing wg page with last minutes/todays agenda
15:03:19 [Zakim]
the conference code is 97762 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 sip:zakim@voip.w3.org), ht
15:03:45 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Norm, [ArborText], [IPcaller]
15:04:22 [Zakim]
+ +1.805.452.aaaa
15:04:34 [Norm]
zakim, [ipcaller is jfuller_
15:04:41 [Norm]
zakim, who's here?
15:04:44 [Zakim]
On IRC I see ht, RRSAgent, Norm, PGrosso, jfuller_, Liam, caribou
15:05:04 [Zakim]
+??P54
15:05:10 [Zakim]
+jfuller_; got it
15:05:12 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Norm, [ArborText], jfuller_, +1.805.452.aaaa, ??P54
15:05:16 [Zakim]
+ +1.778.440.aabb
15:05:34 [Zakim]
On IRC I see ht, RRSAgent, Norm, PGrosso, jfuller_, Liam, caribou
15:05:47 [ht]
zakim, 805 is Cornelia
15:06:03 [Zakim]
sorry, ht, I do not recognize a party named '805'
15:06:03 [ht]
zakim, ??P54 is me
15:06:11 [Zakim]
+ht; got it
15:06:11 [ht]
zakim, +1.805 is Cornelia
15:06:17 [Zakim]
+Cornelia; got it
15:06:25 [Zakim]
+Carine
15:06:36 [Norm]
Present: Henry, Norm, Paul, Cornelia, Jim, Murray, Carine
15:06:41 [Norm]
Regrets: Vojtech, Mohamed
15:06:47 [ht]
zakim, +1.778 is Murray Maloney
15:06:47 [Zakim]
I don't understand '+1.778 is Murray Maloney', ht
15:06:56 [Norm]
Topic: Accept this agenda?
15:06:56 [Norm]
-> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2011/11/10-agenda
15:07:13 [Norm]
Accepted.
15:07:50 [Norm]
Topic: Accept minutes from the previous meeting?
15:07:50 [Norm]
-> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2011/10/31-minutes.html
15:07:50 [Norm]
-> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2011/11/01-minutes.html
15:08:02 [jfuller_]
weakly scribed !
15:08:07 [jfuller_]
(my contrib)
15:08:54 [Norm]
Accepted.
15:09:43 [Zakim]
+Alex_Milows
15:09:49 [Norm]
Present: Henry, Norm, Paul, Cornelia, Jim, Murray, Carine, Alex
15:10:41 [Norm]
Topic: Review of open action items
15:11:05 [alexmilowski]
alexmilowski has joined #xproc
15:11:15 [Norm]
Norm: Is anyone's action blocked by someone else that they'd like to bring up?
15:11:27 [Norm]
Norm: I don't hear any, so I'll try to get a summary of open actions ready by early next week.
15:12:23 [Norm]
Jim: Feel free to ask if you'd like help; I did get two of them finished. I updated the charter link and I asked Geert if we could use his pipeline.
15:12:29 [Norm]
Jim: I'm working on the rest of them.
15:12:53 [jfuller_]
https://github.com/grtjn/xproc-ebook-conv
15:13:02 [jfuller_]
https://github.com/gimsieke/epubcheck-xproc
15:13:15 [Norm]
Jim: Geert also pointed out that there's another application, link above.
15:13:32 [jfuller_]
Gerrit Imsieke created epubcheck
15:14:33 [Norm]
Henry: Alex and I are going to try to setup a website that lets people try out XProc pipelines on their data.
15:14:47 [Norm]
Norm: That's terrific.
15:15:00 [Norm]
Topic: XML processor profiles planning
15:15:24 [Norm]
Norm: I think the status is we have a bunch of resolutions and that we need to get a new draft out.
15:15:26 [Norm]
Henry: Yes.
15:15:32 [Norm]
Jim: I think we have actions for everything.
15:15:51 [Norm]
Norm: So, Henry, you'll take a pass?
15:15:53 [Norm]
Henry: Yes.
15:16:37 [Norm]
Norm/JIm: We'll send stuff to you in the short term, Henry.
15:16:39 [Norm]
Henry: Ok.
15:17:35 [Norm]
Some discussion of using github.
15:18:13 [Norm]
Henry: I think we're probably too late in the life cycle.
15:18:21 [Norm]
...Maybe for v.next.
15:18:29 [Norm]
Jim: Fair enough.
15:19:11 [Norm]
Norm: No, I think that's probably right. Github would be a vast improvement over CVS, but it would be a lot of churn late in the day right now.
15:19:27 [Norm]
Topic: Use cases/requirements/chartering for V.next
15:19:36 [jfuller_]
http://www.w3.org/wiki/XprocVnext
15:20:07 [jfuller_]
freshest charter link http://www.w3.org/XML/2010/10/xproc-charter.html
15:20:44 [Norm]
Henry: Unless I'm mistaken, Liam will be contacting the chair about the rechartering.
15:21:01 [Norm]
...He'll tell us what he wants.
15:21:27 [Norm]
Henry: I'm not disagreeing, that's part of the reason that we started the wiki.
15:21:59 [Norm]
Norm: Ok, using the wiki is fine by me.
15:22:17 [Norm]
Henry: We're still in an expansive phase. No bar is required to make an entry in the wiki. We're in a gathering phase.
15:22:39 [Norm]
...At some point the chair should declare we have enough and start pruning.
15:23:33 [Norm]
Norm rambles a bit.
15:23:50 [Norm]
Alex: There were a couple of themes: improving usability and looking at steps that should be standardized.
15:24:20 [Norm]
...there's also an aspect of integration that we touched one.
15:24:23 [Cornelia]
Cornelia has joined #xproc
15:25:12 [Norm]
Henry: Another question at that level, is "is this 1.1 or 2.0?"
15:25:20 [Norm]
...How much do we care about backward compatibility.
15:25:45 [Norm]
...How much is this fixing the problems we know about and how much is it we know better and are going to start again
15:27:13 [Norm]
Henry: One area is simplifying parameters. We might just get rid of some things that no one has used.
15:28:00 [Norm]
Topic: Any other business?
15:28:22 [Norm]
Jim: I don't know if it was clear from the minutes, but we did sit down for a while with the XQuery WG. Henry, maybe it would be good to describe that meeting.
15:29:29 [Norm]
Henry: Here's my spin: over the last 6 months, I've had occasion to look at three or more XRX implementations. They're all lousy pipeline languages. They all would be much better if they were XProc. I think Liam's question is, what would XProc need to do to be better at choreographic between the web and XML databases.
15:29:48 [Norm]
...In particular choreographing XSLT and XQuery to build "lower case 'w'" web service.s
15:29:54 [Norm]
s/vice.s/vices./
15:30:02 [Norm]
...This comes under the integration heading.
15:32:16 [Norm]
Jim: Did we get any requests over email for things we have to go through?
15:32:31 [Norm]
Norm: I don't think so.
15:32:37 [Norm]
Jim: No, looks like they're all from October.
15:32:42 [Norm]
Adjourned.
15:32:47 [Zakim]
-PGrosso
15:32:48 [Zakim]
-ht
15:32:48 [Zakim]
-Norm
15:32:50 [Zakim]
-Alex_Milows
15:32:50 [Zakim]
-Carine
15:32:51 [Zakim]
-jfuller_
15:32:51 [Norm]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:32:51 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/11/10-xproc-minutes.html Norm
15:32:52 [Zakim]
- +1.778.440.aabb
15:32:54 [Zakim]
-Cornelia
15:32:54 [Zakim]
XML_PMWG()10:00AM has ended
15:32:56 [Zakim]
Attendees were Norm, [IPcaller], +1.805.452.aaaa, jfuller_, +1.778.440.aabb, PGrosso, ht, Cornelia, Carine, Alex_Milows
15:32:56 [Norm]
rrsagent, set logs world-visibil
15:32:59 [Norm]
rrsagent, set logs world-visibile
15:33:03 [Norm]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:33:03 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/11/10-xproc-minutes.html Norm
15:33:23 [Norm]
rrsagent, set logs public
15:33:28 [Norm]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:33:29 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/11/10-xproc-minutes.html Norm
15:34:04 [ht]
ht has left #xproc
16:12:33 [PGrosso]
PGrosso has left #xproc
17:07:30 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #xproc
18:00:50 [ht]
ht has joined #xproc