IRC log of html-wg on 2011-11-04

Timestamps are in UTC.

17:44:24 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #html-wg
17:44:24 [RRSAgent]
logging to
17:44:36 [MikeSmith]
RRSAgent, make minutes
17:44:36 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate MikeSmith
17:47:48 [a1zu]
a1zu has joined #html-wg
17:48:08 [si-wei]
si-wei has joined #html-wg
17:49:50 [HadleyBeeman]
HadleyBeeman has joined #html-wg
17:50:07 [pimpbot]
changes: hixie: Change how nested clicks are prevented to also prevent click() inside a regular onclick=''. (part 2) (whatwg r6818) <11> 4** hixie: Change how nested clicks are prevented to also prevent click() inside a regular onclick=''. (whatwg r6817) <11> 4** sam: Call for consensus on issue 164 <11http:/
17:52:35 [yosuke]
yosuke has joined #html-wg
17:52:41 [itpastorn]
itpastorn has left #html-wg
17:53:20 [igarashi]
igarashi has joined #html-wg
17:53:48 [a12u]
a12u has joined #html-wg
17:55:52 [kimberly]
kimberly has joined #html-wg
17:58:06 [abarsto]
abarsto has joined #html-wg
18:00:28 [howard]
howard has joined #html-wg
18:01:49 [HadleyBeeman]
HadleyBeeman has joined #html-wg
18:04:14 [pimpbot]
bugmail: [Bug 14427] Investigate if click()'s click-in-progress should apply to user and/or script initiated clicks <11>
18:05:25 [abarsto]
abarsto has joined #html-wg
18:05:58 [samk]
samk has joined #html-wg
18:06:01 [eric_carlson]
eric_carlson has joined #html-wg
18:07:18 [Stevef]
Stevef has joined #html-wg
18:07:58 [jkiss]
jkiss has joined #html-wg
18:10:52 [Stevef]
Stevef has joined #html-wg
18:11:37 [anne]
anne has joined #html-wg
18:15:44 [tlr]
tlr has joined #html-wg
18:15:48 [tcelik]
tcelik has joined #html-wg
18:17:14 [hiroki]
hiroki has joined #html-wg
18:18:22 [weinig]
weinig has joined #html-wg
18:18:25 [abarsto]
abarsto has joined #html-wg
18:19:05 [MichaelC]
MichaelC has joined #html-wg
18:19:41 [rubys]
rubys has left #html-wg
18:20:12 [dowan]
dowan has joined #html-wg
18:20:44 [ArtB]
RRSAgent, make minutes
18:20:44 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate ArtB
18:22:31 [karl]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
18:22:31 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate karl
18:22:52 [karl]
RRSAgent, make logs public
18:23:52 [karl]
I think there is an issue :) and a big one indeed
18:25:21 [karl]
ArtB, yes it seems
18:25:33 [karl]
it should start in a couple of minutes
18:26:20 [karl]
oopsie even the irc txt log is gone
18:31:38 [YUMA]
YUMA has joined #html-wg
18:31:56 [Stevef]
Stevef has joined #html-wg
18:31:59 [jihye]
jihye has joined #html-wg
18:32:21 [JF]
JF has joined #html-wg
18:32:32 [Soonho]
Soonho has joined #html-wg
18:33:34 [MikeSmith]
scribe: MikeSmith
18:33:40 [eliot]
eliot has joined #html-wg
18:33:43 [MikeSmith]
Topic: W3C Document license
18:34:12 [MikeSmith]
Jeff: discussion of the document license predates my arrival at W3C
18:34:20 [pimpbot]
bugmail: [Bug 14696] New: This is no longer true: "The end date is encoded as one day after the last date of the event because in the iCalendar format, end dates are exclusive, not inclusive" — so remove ...value="2007-10-20">19... <11> 4** [Bug 14696] This is no longer true: "The end date is encoded as one day after the last date of the event because in the iCalendar format,
18:34:24 [MikeSmith]
... so I urge others here to jump in and correct me if needed
18:34:44 [adrianba]
adrianba has joined #html-wg
18:34:55 [MikeSmith]
... So, several years ago, the HTML WG determined that the W3C document license did not work for them
18:34:58 [KevinMarks]
KevinMarks has joined #html-wg
18:35:16 [MikeSmith]
... and the group came up with a list of 11 use cases that were not possible with the current W3C document license
18:35:23 [YW]
YW has joined #html-wg
18:35:34 [MikeSmith]
... the chairs of the HTML WG then brought that list to the W3C Team
18:36:02 [MikeSmith]
... and the W3C Team took that list of use cases to the W3C Advisory Committee
18:36:27 [abarsto]
abarsto has joined #html-wg
18:36:39 [MikeSmith]
... the W3C AC agreed with the majority of the use cases, but not with the use cases related to so-called "forking"
18:36:57 [Ruinan]
Ruinan has joined #html-wg
18:36:58 [MikeSmith]
... which put the Team sort of between a rock and a hard place
18:37:47 [MikeSmith]
... it turned out that coming up a a suitable license was very difficult
18:38:00 [MikeSmith]
... this task was handed over to the W3C PSIG
18:38:34 [MikeSmith]
... which did an analysis and proposed a license that they believed covered 9 of the 11 use cases
18:38:56 [MikeSmith]
... then later in 2010 we decided that we needed to try again
18:39:21 [MikeSmith]
... and in the end we came up with 3 candidate licenses
18:39:34 [tlr]
q+ marcos
18:39:39 [MikeSmith]
... the three licenses try to address the use cases and at the same time address the AC's concerns about "forking"
18:39:41 [MikeSmith]
18:39:46 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #html-wg
18:39:50 [tlr]
q+ marcos
18:40:15 [MikeSmith]
... I have not doubt that the PSIG left no stone unturned
18:40:26 [MikeSmith]
... the chairs of the HTML WG created a poll
18:40:55 [MikeSmith]
... in which they asked the group to consider the 3 PSIG-proposed licenses, and also 2 other more-permissive licenses
18:41:34 [MikeSmith]
... the results of the poll were that a majority of the HTML WG members responded that they could not live with any of the 3 PSIG-proposed licenses
18:42:21 [MikeSmith]
... for the other more-permissive licenses, the majority of the HTML WG responded to say that they could live with them, though there was a significant minority that said they could not
18:42:38 [DavidKim]
DavidKim has joined #html-wg
18:42:51 [MikeSmith]
Jeff: So, where we are at now is that we do not have any plans to change the W3C document license
18:43:12 [MikeSmith]
... but in another decision, we did great Community Groups with a more permissive document license
18:43:12 [plh]
18:43:19 [hober]
q+ anne
18:44:33 [tantek]
tantek has joined #html-wg
18:44:39 [MikeSmith]
Marcos: we have seen an alternative solution, which is that editors publish their editor's drafts under "public domain" outside of the W3C
18:44:53 [MikeSmith]
Jeff: we are on record as supporting a permissive license
18:45:28 [MikeSmith]
... but the Membership told us by an overwhelming majority (80%) is that when you are on the W3C Rec-track, they feel that needs to not be forkable
18:46:46 [MikeSmith]
Marcos: We have shared documents, and if the W3C doesn't provide a more permissive license, we are still going to be [publishing versions of the same specs outside of the W3C under a more permissive license]
18:46:59 [KevinMarks]
you can't prevent forking by fiat
18:47:27 [MikeSmith]
anne: it seems wrong to me that a secret club behind a Member-only wall say No to us and tell us what we can and cannot doe
18:47:40 [MikeSmith]
... there is not opportunity for discourse there
18:47:44 [KevinMarks]
all you can prevent is the spec representing implementations that have forked it
18:48:11 [dsinger]
18:48:34 [igarashi]
igarashi has joined #html-wg
18:48:43 [MikeSmith]
Jeff: I hear what you are saying. There is no "opaque wall" if you are part of a Member org, though I understand that it's different if you are an Invited Experts
18:49:12 [hober]
q+ tantek
18:49:19 [MikeSmith]
[Jeff asks how many people in the room are IEs and how many are from Member orgs]
18:49:30 [hober]
q- marcos
18:49:34 [dsinger]
18:49:38 [MikeSmith]
Jeff: The chartering of Activities go through the AC as well
18:50:15 [MikeSmith]
anne: The issue is that many of the members in the AC are not even members of this group
18:50:16 [hober]
ack anne
18:50:21 [hober]
ack tantek
18:50:40 [MikeSmith]
tantek: as a rep of one of those member companies, I can sympathize
18:50:50 [MikeSmith]
... I've also been an invited expert
18:50:50 [MikeSmith]
18:51:03 [MikeSmith]
... there is the entire AC that votes on these issues
18:51:14 [MikeSmith]
... but if you look at the participants in this group
18:51:40 [MikeSmith]
... I can firmly say that as a Member, Mozilla does support a forking license for the spec
18:52:36 [MikeSmith]
Jeff: part of my philosophy of change is to recognize where there are huge barriers to change, and to find other areas where the barriers are not huge, and work there
18:52:52 [MikeSmith]
... so one of the reasons we create the Community Groups was to address this issue
18:53:06 [dbaron]
dbaron has joined #html-wg
18:53:19 [MikeSmith]
anne: It would be nice if we were given reasons for why the AC said No
18:53:29 [MikeSmith]
... the AC is advisory
18:53:49 [hober]
ack dsinger
18:53:59 [MikeSmith]
... and if the Team feels that W3C should have a permissive license, the AC can be overruled
18:54:13 [Kai]
18:54:33 [MikeSmith]
DaveSinger: I think one rationale was that they want a single specification to reference
18:54:50 [markw]
markw has joined #html-wg
18:55:22 [MikeSmith]
... I don't think we would ever have a case where even if there is a moderately hostile fork, the W3C does not pursue enforcing the W3C document license
18:55:29 [tantek]
q+ to mention Mozilla's intent to use CGs
18:55:32 [MikeSmith]
... so the horse has already left the barn
18:56:11 [LJW]
LJW has joined #html-wg
18:56:21 [MikeSmith]
Tim: one argument is, I want people to say that they are putting their time and work into the [common place at W3C] where we have gotten together to do the work
18:57:19 [MikeSmith]
... and we are all committed to working together at W3C to work on our specs here, not planning to then take them off somewhere else
18:57:20 [KevinMarks]
the possibility of forking is what provides the social pressure to actually agree.
18:57:55 [MikeSmith]
Tim: the case with forking of code is different, whereas with standards, [the argument for forking] does not hold as well
18:58:16 [MikeSmith]
Tim: I think it's important to not fork but also important to have the right to fork
18:58:27 [MikeSmith]
... so these are conflicting needs
18:58:59 [MikeSmith]
TIm: I agree with Dave Singer that the license [does not have effect on what actually happens in practice]
18:59:16 [MikeSmith]
... so I'm not sure we need to continue spending a lot more energy on this
18:59:26 [MikeSmith]
RRSAgent, make minutes
18:59:26 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate MikeSmith
18:59:27 [pimpbot]
Title: SV_MEETING_TITLE -- 04 Nov 2011 (at
18:59:42 [hober]
18:59:43 [Iraj]
Iraj has joined #html-wg
19:00:03 [MikeSmith]
... we should be focusing on doing our actual spec work
19:00:28 [MikeSmith]
Sam: This is perhaps something we can address with HTML.Next
19:00:48 [MikeSmith]
... so maybe we can focus on that constructively
19:01:01 [MikeSmith]
Kai: Companies have one very strong requirement, which is stability
19:01:19 [MikeSmith]
... when you cannot rely on the standards to actually be standards, that is a huge issue
19:01:30 [krisk]
krisk has joined #html-wg
19:01:35 [MikeSmith]
... W3C through its process guarantees stability
19:02:19 [MikeSmith]
... my recommendation to my own company is that we have to completely ignore anything that comes out of the WHATWG
19:02:36 [MikeSmith]
... just breaking out of the process because you don't like it is [not good]
19:02:57 [MikeSmith]
Jeff: I do not work for any of the companies that didn't support forking
19:03:30 [MikeSmith]
... but I know some of the reasons that we given
19:04:03 [mjs]
mjs has joined #html-wg
19:04:12 [MikeSmith]
Jeff: I heard some companies saying that they do not want forking because we want one Web
19:04:20 [MikeSmith]
... they said they don't want to see the Web get fractured
19:04:23 [Iraj]
Iraj has joined #html-wg
19:04:51 [MikeSmith]
... for example, if some companies said they wanted a Web that has DRM features that are not part of a W3C standard
19:04:55 [JonathanJ1]
JonathanJ1 has joined #html-wg
19:05:33 [MikeSmith]
Jeff: I also agree with what David said, that maybe we need to do more educate, to help companies understand permissive licensing
19:05:59 [MikeSmith]
... and I understand that Tim also supports doing such education
19:06:14 [MikeSmith]
tantek: we all want one Web
19:06:21 [MikeSmith]
... I think there are maybe some disagreements about how we get there
19:06:40 [MikeSmith]
... in a past role, I was at Microsoft, and there was a standard called DVB-HTML
19:06:49 [MikeSmith]
... and what happened to that standard?
19:06:53 [MikeSmith]
Jeff: It died.
19:07:27 [KevinMarks]
lets not even mention WAP
19:07:32 [MikeSmith]
tantek: right. It's doomed to fail. In the long run , the one that survives in the one that's supported by reputation
19:07:33 [markw]
CE-HTML is very much alive in OIPF, HbbTV etc.
19:07:44 [MikeSmith]
... I want to praise the W3C for the Community Groups
19:08:14 [MikeSmith]
... it is our intent to develop the Fullscreen API in a Community Group with a forking license
19:08:27 [MikeSmith]
... and it is more likely that for [new work we do] we are going to choose to pursue those in a Community Group
19:08:57 [MikeSmith]
Jeff: one small clarification, I was neither taking a position for or against forking licenses
19:08:57 [MikeSmith]
19:09:12 [MikeSmith]
... I was sharing what I heard
19:09:20 [MikeSmith]
... this is consensus-driven org
19:09:44 [MikeSmith]
... we saw a consensus to provide a more permissive license for Community Groups
19:09:55 [JonathanJ1]
rrsagent, draft minutes
19:09:55 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate JonathanJ1
19:09:56 [pimpbot]
Title: SV_MEETING_TITLE -- 04 Nov 2011 (at
19:10:00 [Iraj]
Iraj has joined #html-wg
19:10:12 [MikeSmith]
... but we did not yet see a consensus to provide a more permissive license for Working Groups
19:10:22 [MikeSmith]
... but that could change and we could revisit it
19:10:27 [MikeSmith]
RRSAgent, make minutes
19:10:27 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate MikeSmith
19:10:28 [pimpbot]
Title: SV_MEETING_TITLE -- 04 Nov 2011 (at
19:11:12 [MikeSmith]
meeting: HTML WG f2f
19:11:19 [MikeSmith]
RRSAgent, make minutes
19:11:19 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate MikeSmith
19:11:20 [pimpbot]
Title: SV_MEETING_TITLE -- 04 Nov 2011 (at
19:12:20 [krisk]
scribe: krisk
19:12:37 [krisk]
19:12:47 [jun_]
jun_ has joined #html-wg
19:12:49 [plh]
--> HTML next wiki
19:12:50 [pimpbot]
Title: HTML/next - W3C Wiki (at
19:12:51 [aizu]
aizu has joined #html-wg
19:12:58 [Tom]
Tom has joined #html-wg
19:13:19 [krisk]
mikesmith: This meeting is to talk about what features we could add to the next version of html
19:13:24 [jkiss]
jkiss has joined #html-wg
19:13:42 [krisk]
samruby: the wiki is a location to store and track items we could potentially do in HTML.NEXT
19:13:51 [krisk]
...this was last updated in june
19:14:13 [magnus]
magnus has joined #html-wg
19:14:34 [krisk]
tantek: when we re-charted can we move the wiki?
19:14:58 [krisk]
paulcotton: Can you give a rational why to move?
19:15:19 [tlr]
tlr has joined #html-wg
19:15:23 [krisk]
tantek: it'll lower the cost to collaborate with other w3c groups (less logins..etc..)
19:15:45 [krisk]
mikesmith: all you need is a w3c user/password for w3c wiki's
19:16:12 [krisk]
...though html requires a HTML WG account to update the html wiki
19:16:42 [krisk]
karl: people were not comfortable using the wiki
19:16:57 [krisk]
samruby: Is the content updated on the HTML.NEXT wiki?
19:17:24 [tlrobinson]
tlrobinson has joined #html-wg
19:17:43 [MikeSmith]
a shorter list of possible HTML.Next features from my recent presentation:
19:17:44 [pimpbot]
Title: HTML WG Update (at
19:17:50 [krisk]
davidslinger: these are all good items - though we should also start to add issues that we have with the current HTML5 spec to this wiki
19:18:13 [karl]
s/karl: people/karl: the main wiki was initially created for SW community, "forked" by QA WG, then more general including documentation. Some people/
19:18:15 [krisk]
Mikesmith: we have a bugzilla to track bugs
19:18:20 [tantek]
per mikesmith's point about w3c's wiki being more open/accessible - I see that as an advantage.
19:18:27 [krisk]
slinger: can we add a link to this from the wiki?
19:18:47 [krisk]
samruby: I'm not concerned with where it's at rather that we have it all in one place
19:19:03 [MikeSmith]
19:19:04 [pimpbot]
Title: Components for (at
19:19:20 [MikeSmith]
19:19:22 [pimpbot]
Title: Bug List (at
19:19:55 [krisk]
jamesgraham: to add some of these we'll need components
19:20:13 [pimpbot]
Title: Components for (at
19:20:45 [krisk]
shelly: I have another feature - make sure that all aria roles are in the spec
19:21:20 [krisk]
samruby: can you either open a bug or on the wik - indifferent which type, but it should exist
19:21:25 [KevinMarks]
KevinMarks has joined #html-wg
19:21:53 [krisk]
anne: components are in webapps, but it should use the parser so it should be html
19:22:34 [krisk]
plh: web intents - wants a new element, html may want to look into this as well for HTML.NEXT
19:22:48 [MikeSmith]
19:22:56 [tantek]
19:23:05 [MikeSmith]
q+ to say we don't need the intents element anyway
19:23:14 [krisk]
samruby: they are creating an new element?
19:23:15 [Kai]
ack kai
19:23:29 [tantek]
let's not rathole on intents please
19:23:35 [krisk]
jamesgraham: if they are breaking the parser that seems like a very bad idea
19:24:12 [plh]
--> Web Intents
19:24:12 [krisk]
mikesmith: they don't have spec document, rather it's just a document
19:24:19 [tantek]
mikesmith: I don't think he needed the intent element, he could have used the meta element
19:24:23 [krisk]
...though they are using a new element it could easily be a meta element
19:24:40 [krisk]
samruby: bugzilla and wiki seems very light...
19:25:22 [krisk]
mikesmith: see the link that mike posted about potential features
19:25:31 [krisk]
19:25:32 [pimpbot]
Title: HTML WG Update (at
19:25:43 [adrianba_]
adrianba_ has joined #html-wg
19:25:47 [krisk]
mikesmith: input mode?
19:26:02 [aizu]
aizu has joined #html-wg
19:26:13 [krisk]
mikesmith: mobile browsers seem to have this use case
19:26:15 [Stevef]
Stevef has joined #html-wg
19:26:27 [krisk]
mikesmith: one item that hixie removed from html5, is the datagrid
19:26:30 [gang]
gang has joined #html-wg
19:26:33 [adrianba]
rrsagent, pointer
19:26:33 [RRSAgent]
19:26:43 [KevinMarks]
KevinMarks has joined #html-wg
19:26:54 [krisk]
mikesmith: some media items...
19:27:12 [krisk]
... playback statistics
19:27:30 [krisk]
..api media additions
19:28:21 [Stevef_]
Stevef_ has joined #html-wg
19:28:30 [krisk]
samruby: not only datagrid is on the wiki
19:28:55 [krisk]
kimberly: if we start to talk about forms and mobile
19:29:12 [krisk]
...autocorrect is bad for password
19:29:14 [MikeSmith]
MikeSmith has joined #html-wg
19:29:27 [krisk]
slinger: this is already be taken care of another WG
19:30:15 [krisk]
slinger: I don't think it's good to think about next features, rather we should be think about how to get the project launched in the best possible way
19:30:53 [krisk]
adrian: I like to note about a feature I added that's on the wiki (login)
19:31:25 [krisk]
anne: we should not be thinking about as a big step, html5 was done incrementally
19:31:42 [krisk]
...I suspect will also do the same thing...
19:31:56 [shepazu]
shepazu has joined #html-wg
19:32:14 [krisk]
...components may change how we think about interaction with existing and new elements created by libs
19:32:35 [krisk]
...we may want to bring some common lib elements back
19:32:47 [krisk]
...I want to see incremental progress
19:33:17 [krisk]
jamesgraham: we should publish one a year with a small number of items that are completed rather than a 15 yeare cycle
19:33:31 [krisk]
adrian: I agree with that notion
19:33:39 [ChrisWilson]
ChrisWilson has joined #html-wg
19:33:40 [krisk]
plh: I also agree with james
19:34:13 [krisk]
samruby: any more items?
19:34:45 [krisk]
paulcotton: let me replay some of the items that came up with at barcamp dealing with getting specs out faster
19:34:50 [pimpbot]
bugmail: [Bug 14697] New: Harmonize roles with ARIA <11>
19:35:12 [krisk]
paulcotton: I'd like to hear tantek view on doing future html work in a community group
19:35:20 [tantek]
19:35:21 [krisk]
...for example webvvt
19:35:36 [krisk]
19:35:55 [tantek]
I agree that we should consider community groups for
19:36:32 [krisk]
...the organization is not getting patent protection because the spec takes so long
19:37:13 [krisk] doing mondular, community groups, are ways to speed up the process
19:37:37 [HadleyBeeman]
HadleyBeeman has joined #html-wg
19:37:40 [krisk]
mikesmith: we have another HTML community group on editing, so we do have a precedence for doing work in a community group
19:38:05 [HadleyBeeman1]
HadleyBeeman1 has joined #html-wg
19:38:17 [krisk]
tantek: I want to follow up with paul's comment
19:38:53 [krisk]
...Mozilla agrees that doing HTML.NEXT work in a community group is the right place
19:39:54 [krisk]
rrsagent, draft minutes
19:39:54 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate krisk
19:39:55 [pimpbot]
Title: HTML WG f2f -- 04 Nov 2011 (at
19:42:12 [igarashi_]
igarashi_ has joined #html-wg
19:58:11 [weinig]
weinig has joined #html-wg
20:02:00 [tantek]
tantek has joined #html-wg
20:02:06 [Iraj]
Iraj has joined #html-wg
20:03:34 [Kangchan]
Kangchan has joined #html-wg
20:04:12 [MikeSmith]
MikeSmith has joined #html-wg
20:04:57 [samk]
samk has joined #html-wg
20:05:04 [pimpbot]
bugmail: [Bug 12715] When used to include data blocks (as opposed to scripts), the data must be embedded inline <11>
20:12:29 [lgombos]
lgombos has joined #html-wg
20:22:19 [a12u]
a12u has joined #html-wg
20:28:32 [tlr]
tlr has joined #html-wg
20:29:30 [a1zu]
a1zu has joined #html-wg
20:32:35 [igarashi]
igarashi has joined #html-wg
20:33:50 [YUMA]
YUMA has joined #html-wg
20:36:15 [magnus]
magnus has joined #html-wg
20:36:16 [Ruinan]
Ruinan has joined #html-wg
20:37:35 [HadleyBeeman]
HadleyBeeman has joined #html-wg
20:42:51 [yosuke]
yosuke has joined #html-wg
20:47:12 [arronei]
arronei has joined #html-wg
20:47:29 [KevinMarks]
KevinMarks has joined #html-wg
20:47:31 [arronei]
arronei has left #html-wg
20:48:12 [jkiss]
jkiss has joined #html-wg
20:51:20 [eliot]
eliot has joined #html-wg
20:54:32 [jamesn]
jamesn has joined #html-wg
20:56:22 [MikeSmith]
minutes for the first part of this morning are here:
20:56:25 [MikeSmith]
20:56:26 [pimpbot]
Title: HTML WG f2f -- 04 Nov 2011 -- part 1 (at
20:56:43 [MikeSmith]
RRSAgent, make minutes
20:56:43 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate MikeSmith
20:56:44 [pimpbot]
Title: HTML WG f2f -- 04 Nov 2011 (at
20:56:46 [pimpbot]
planet: bhueppe: Journalism in the Open: The 2011/12 Knight-Mozilla Fellows announced <11>
20:57:02 [shepazu]
shepazu has joined #html-wg
20:58:13 [samk]
samk has joined #html-wg
20:58:27 [kaz]
kaz has joined #html-wg
21:00:40 [will]
will has joined #html-wg
21:01:01 [jihye]
jihye has joined #html-wg
21:01:58 [YW]
YW has joined #html-wg
21:02:15 [rubys]
rubys has joined #html-wg
21:02:23 [Julian]
Julian has joined #html-wg
21:02:30 [Bert]
Bert has left #html-wg
21:03:20 [r12a]
r12a has joined #html-wg
21:04:13 [paulc]
paulc has joined #html-wg
21:04:23 [paulc]
21:06:26 [pimpbot]
bugmail: [Bug 14697] Harmonize roles with ARIA <11>
21:08:23 [paulc]
Topic: Testing TF work and plans
21:08:49 [paulc]
Mark: Could we actually outsource the generation of tests for HTML5
21:09:13 [eliot]
scribe: eliot
21:09:29 [rubys]
Art: I like the idea of more directed sponsorship
21:09:33 [Iraj]
Iraj has joined #html-wg
21:09:42 [rubys]
Paulc: are we ready to outsource
21:09:47 [eliot]
KK: up front costs to hire omeone would be high. want to minimize that.
21:09:49 [rubys]
James: we haven't built detailed test plans
21:09:56 [Iraj]
Iraj has left #html-wg
21:10:12 [eliot]
....test reviews have to go on. not sure where they'd come from
21:10:23 [adrianba]
adrianba has joined #html-wg
21:10:29 [eliot]
....Where would the talent come from? But it's still a possibility.
21:10:43 [eliot]
...Set up requirements and make clear what has to be done.
21:10:57 [dsinger]
dsinger has joined #html-wg
21:11:11 [eliot]
PC: I have experience in this. XML Query test suite >25k tests
21:11:24 [eliot]
....missed. US Gov't wrote thousands of the tests
21:11:38 [eliot]
...They had some tooling that they fed the spe into to generate tests
21:11:48 [eliot]
...but also had peoplpe who were experts.
21:12:02 [eliot]
Look for XQuery test suite W3C
21:12:32 [gang]
gang has joined #html-wg
21:12:45 [eliot]
....We seem to be concentrating on the browser venders. Have we asked everyone who's going to benefint from HTML5?
21:13:12 [paulc]
21:13:13 [pimpbot]
Title: XML Query Test Suite (at
21:13:14 [eliot]
James: We focus a lot on numbers--necessary--but quality is most important.
21:13:26 [eliot]
...if we generate million tests but they don't find bugs, then effect is minimal.
21:13:38 [eliot]
....need the ones who will write evil tests.
21:14:20 [eliot]
Ryoske: we had refactoring tests. turned out needed 10 to the 16th tests. No way.
21:14:22 [Kai]
Kai has joined #html-wg
21:14:32 [MikeSmith]
MikeSmith has joined #html-wg
21:14:38 [eliot]
...important to catch the bugs
21:15:13 [eliot]
PC: XPath and XQuery tests went for core features first. Subsequent tests assumed the core tests worked.
21:15:29 [eliot]
...tests got more complex on the outer edges.
21:16:18 [eliot]
Russel: So when do I get a gold star? How many tests do I have to pass?
21:16:48 [eliot]
PC: W3C had workshop to see if they should do compliance testing
21:17:01 [mjs]
mjs has joined #html-wg
21:17:37 [eliot]
....given nonlegal structure it's unlikely that the W3C would do it. W3C is not in the certification business. Implies huge otlays of money.
21:17:42 [dbaron]
dbaron has joined #html-wg
21:18:13 [eliot]
.....Do lots of validation testing. Company would use the test and make a claim to their customers that they pass a certain number of tests.
21:18:15 [howard]
howard has joined #html-wg
21:18:49 [eliot]
Mark Vickers: If we get these tests done, there's potential income as a service.
21:19:02 [MichaelC]
MichaelC has joined #html-wg
21:19:31 [eliot]
...Lots of possible tests. If someone else runs the test, the legal responsibility moves.
21:19:58 [eliot]
...could provide regular income w/o w3c being in the certification business.
21:20:26 [eliot]
Russel: Even if w3c doesn't want to be in the business, there's a pressing need in various ecosystem to have cert programs.
21:21:14 [eliot]
....If w3c is going to present hundreds of thousand of tests, who sets up the buckets of tests?
21:21:19 [eliot]
PLH: are you suggestin w3c sharee that burden?
21:21:24 [eliot]
Russel: yes
21:21:26 [Soonho]
Soonho has joined #html-wg
21:21:47 [eliot]
PLH: w3c is not in the positio to do that. it will take several years. we have no plan.
21:23:12 [eliot]
Russel: for home network we do, for various components we go through UL.
21:23:28 [eliot]
PC: the logos are expensive to create. w3c is not in that business
21:23:39 [eliot]
Russell: We are expressing an ecosystem need
21:24:13 [tlr]
tlr has joined #html-wg
21:24:16 [eliot]
PC: Different WGs in the W3c have gotten through rec with minimum required tests
21:24:40 [eliot]
....divide to subfeatures. Create scenarios, and test for those. Get same result from multiple implementations, then we're good.
21:25:13 [eliot]
....WGs have set criteria low and sometimes high. If you set for certification, you set for infinity.
21:25:14 [anne]
anne has joined #html-wg
21:25:24 [anne]
shall we write tests?
21:25:24 [kimberly]
kimberly has joined #html-wg
21:25:31 [eliot]'s important to talk about what needs to be done to get out of CR.
21:25:52 [plinss]
plinss has joined #html-wg
21:25:54 [eliot]
plh: we rely on members to submit tests. w3c doesn't have staff for this
21:26:11 [eliot] far we are way far from the 200k numbers we'd need for html5
21:26:45 [eliot]
Wilhelm: Many cert programs have been deliberately harmful to the success of the web.
21:27:33 [eliot] group made a test suite and froze the test cases. Years later another client came with those test cases. They didn't agree with the way the web had evolved.
21:27:52 [eliot]
....not sure how to solve it, but cert is dangerous to the web.
21:28:37 [eliot]
Mark: Might be some benefit for w3c providing test suites.
21:28:51 [eliot]
...2nd milestone in which tests are completed?
21:29:18 [eliot]
....we also just need to be practical about certification. It's going to happen and the w3c should be involved.
21:29:46 [tlr]
tlr has joined #html-wg
21:29:46 [eliot]
...ideally at the infinite level, but more practical approach that grows over time. becomes more complete.
21:29:59 [eliot]
....can do this and potentially generate income for w3c.
21:30:28 [eliot]
kk: great conversation. I think in terms of the customer.
21:30:45 [eliot]
...if you put a logo on something and FB doesn't work, do they care?
21:31:11 [eliot]
...It's going to take a lot more than HTML. It's bigger that HTML. Bigger than w3c.
21:31:30 [eliot]
...if you have something on a device and you want that to work for years, it's going to take a lot.
21:32:19 [hiroki]
hiroki has joined #html-wg
21:32:43 [eliot]
eliot has joined #html-wg
21:32:45 [eliot]
...Great place to start the discussion.
21:32:47 [dcosta]
dcosta has joined #html-wg
21:32:54 [eliot]
...PLH to pass a hat for testing resources
21:33:39 [JF]
JF has joined #html-wg
21:33:40 [eliot]
Guiseppe: Not clear, is it a lack of money to close test cases?
21:34:01 [eliot]
pc: Maybe we're not organizing in the right direction.
21:34:33 [eliot]
plh: I told jeff i need 40 people and he said sure, give me the money.
21:34:51 [eliot]
DSinger: If you're doing HTML5, you can differentiate by saying you do more.
21:35:11 [eliot]
....if everyone else contributes tests and you don't you benefit.
21:35:35 [eliot]
....we urgently need to talk about how people who want to get certified can contribute
21:36:12 [eliot]
DBarron: CSS2.1, test suite served 2 purposes: validate spec. Let implementors converge.
21:36:32 [eliot]
...You have to stop at some point, but the test suite cont. to evolved
21:37:01 [eliot]
pc: You can find this on the web, the static version used for CR and the current contents of the repository.
21:37:10 [AndroUser]
AndroUser has joined #html-wg
21:37:28 [eliot]
DBarron: using test suites as a yard stick. the density of coverage per test varies greatly.
21:37:45 [eliot] test could be more precise than 10k other tests.
21:38:01 [eliot]
...Very concerned when a test is used for more than did you pass or not?
21:38:43 [eliot]
Guiseppe: The are organizations interested. Sd organize and discuss: how to work w/o freezing a test case. and to discuss collaboration.
21:39:08 [Tom]
Tom has joined #html-wg
21:39:28 [eliot]
MVickers: There is another group. Doing everything we can to use HTML5., Driving the organization towards using w3c tests and not another standard.
21:39:54 [eliot]
....will follow up and arrange for a meeting. first with Jeff and then a subgroup of the HTML5 group.
21:40:11 [eliot]
kk: Members of the wg would help.
21:40:56 [jihye]
jihye has joined #html-wg
21:41:13 [eliot]
pc: plh is on point as the w3c person to take this idea and do something about it.
21:41:28 [jgraham]
21:41:29 [pimpbot]
Title: Testing (at
21:41:38 [eliot]
pc: we'd like to get to some point where we have more people in the room to generate tests
21:42:01 [eliot]
Topic: Testing HTML
21:42:33 [eliot]
Link above is to slides James is going through
21:42:34 [krisk]
krisk has joined #html-wg
21:42:35 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #html-wg
21:42:59 [plh]
plh has joined #html-wg
21:43:12 [eliot]
James: Who has used Mercurial? Afew. Written a test for a working group? Same few.
21:43:33 [abarsto]
abarsto has joined #html-wg
21:43:41 [tlr]
tlr has joined #html-wg
21:43:41 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #html-wg
21:43:54 [plh]
zakim, stay here!
21:43:54 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'stay here!', plh
21:44:02 [ArtB]
RRSAgent, make minutes
21:44:02 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate ArtB
21:44:03 [pimpbot]
Title: HTML WG f2f -- 04 Nov 2011 (at
21:44:12 [dbaron]
Zakim, remind us in 3 hours to go home
21:44:12 [Zakim]
ok, dbaron
21:44:17 [eliot]
To get test in so you can edit, you clne the repository.
21:44:32 [eliot]
James: once you have the files, you can create a test
21:45:13 [eliot]
...a tests go into a directory /tests/submissions/name_of_vendor/featurename
21:45:49 [eliot]
...we create a directory. Use your favorite editor.
21:46:17 [eliot]
...create the test and then commit the test locally. It's just in your local repository, until you push.
21:46:19 [anne]
"added 363 changesets with 2836 changes to 2081 files" o_O been a while since I looked at this
21:46:54 [stpeter]
stpeter has joined #html-wg
21:47:12 [eliot] figure out what to test....quite important.
21:47:14 [anne]
how do I figure out what to test?
21:47:18 [stpeter]
stpeter has left #html-wg
21:47:22 [anne]
that is, figure out what is already tested
21:47:35 [eliot]
.....not testing conformance criteria for authors. Looking for implementor requirements.
21:47:38 [krisk]
21:47:39 [pimpbot]
Title: 4.9 Tabular data HTML5 (at
21:48:11 [eliot]
....DOM interface has a bunch of properties. we might test for them...
21:48:49 [eliot]
....caption property on <table> isaimed at authors. Never look at text in green boxes.
21:49:37 [eliot]
....RFC2119 keyword is a tip.
21:50:33 [eliot]
"....MUST return the first caption element that is a child of the table. If there aren't any, it must return NULL." This is something we can test.
21:51:11 [eliot]
....Writing JavaScript test: Testharness.js (link at end of slides)
21:51:42 [wilhelm]
Documentation for testharness.js:
21:51:45 [eliot]
....create a function called test
21:51:59 [eliot]
...straightforward construction.
21:52:32 [eliot]
...see "Test for the Table API" in slides for code.
21:53:17 [eliot]
....test for two caption in forst case and no captions in the second.
21:53:32 [eliot]
21:54:26 [eliot]
...that is simple, can be more complex. What happens if I insert a caption using the DOM, etc.
21:54:49 [jihye]
jihye has joined #html-wg
21:55:34 [eliot]
...SteveFaulkner: Is it always OK to leave out child elements and things?
21:55:50 [eliot]
James: when you're testing things you're not testing validity, so yes.
21:56:00 [dsinger]
dsinger has joined #html-wg
21:56:17 [krisk]
If you don't have Hg installed
21:56:19 [pimpbot]
Title: Download - Mercurial (at
21:56:34 [eliot]
Wilhelm: Gives an indication of how many tests we need. One sentence and I can think of about ten things that need to be done.
21:56:57 [eliot]
Link is to Mercurial repository. Need to get Mercurial.
21:57:34 [eliot]
James: to find out what tests are needed, look at what's submitted, or reach out to testing task force
21:58:17 [eliot]
James: to run the test, run it in the browser. It says pass or fail. You can add something to the assert message to make it more useful, but in general, pass/fail.
21:59:11 [eliot]
James: We have a way to link tests to a section of the spec
21:59:29 [eliot]
kk: it's a big spec. It's hard to know where it's from
21:59:46 [eliot]
Peter: Can link to any anchor
22:00:15 [eliot]
James: Theere's a guide to handle the tests
22:00:37 [pimpbot]
Title: A Method for Writing Testable Conformance Requirements (at
22:00:39 [eliot]
....if you're testing rendering, there's a process on the CSS page
22:00:47 [eliot]
Are the guidelines?
22:00:53 [eliot]
James: Not really
22:01:00 [eliot]
plh: do we need some
22:01:28 [eliot]
James: if the test is right that's good enough
22:01:47 [eliot]
How to address interdependencies?
22:02:16 [eliot]
James: General guideline is to not make test depend on things. Test the thing your testing only.
22:03:27 [eliot] have to make some assumptions, but we try to make as few as possible.
22:03:53 [eliot]
Ryoska: Do we expect tests to restore states?
22:04:03 [yosuke]
22:04:16 [eliot]
James: In general encouraged.
22:04:22 [eliot]
DBaron: I would say that even more strongly.
22:05:29 [eliot]
kk:there are some situations where you can't avoid it. You can comment that at the top of the test, if you need a clean cache or something like that.
22:05:46 [eliot]
Guiseppe: aree they run in the same order?
22:05:53 [eliot]
James: No guarantees.
22:06:11 [eliot]
kk: they should pass in any order. No order is assumed.
22:06:51 [eliot]
James: maybe now is a good time to stop, pick a part of the spec and write a test.
22:06:57 [cyns]
cyns has joined #html-wg
22:07:18 [J_Voracek]
J_Voracek has joined #html-wg
22:07:57 [eliot]
kk: Memory leak. We're supposed to validate that the normative parts of the spec work. Not whether a feature causes a memory leak.
22:08:11 [krisk]
22:08:12 [pimpbot]
Title: Download - Mercurial (at
22:09:14 [eliot]
RRSAgent, make minutes
22:09:14 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate eliot
22:09:15 [pimpbot]
Title: HTML WG f2f -- 04 Nov 2011 (at
22:17:53 [jihye]
jihye has joined #html-wg
22:18:31 [jeff]
jeff has joined #html-wg
22:18:49 [jkiss]
jkiss has joined #html-wg
22:20:48 [rubys]
rubys has joined #html-wg
22:23:08 [J_Voracek]
J_Voracek has joined #html-wg
22:24:14 [MikeSmith]
MikeSmith has joined #html-wg
22:24:39 [magnus]
magnus has joined #html-wg
22:28:23 [drublic]
drublic has joined #html-wg
22:28:43 [hiroki]
hiroki has joined #html-wg
22:29:38 [davidb]
davidb has joined #html-wg
22:37:00 [jun]
jun has joined #html-wg
22:40:19 [hiroki]
hiroki has joined #html-wg
22:40:46 [plinss]
plinss has joined #html-wg
22:42:12 [lgombos]
lgombos has joined #html-wg
22:43:23 [jkiss_]
jkiss_ has joined #html-wg
22:43:58 [dbaron]
dbaron has joined #html-wg
22:46:13 [krisk]
I pushed a few table tests
22:46:14 [pimpbot]
Title: HTML5 Table API Tests (at
22:47:09 [plinss]
plinss has joined #html-wg
22:47:31 [tantek]
tantek has joined #html-wg
22:47:45 [weinig_]
weinig_ has joined #html-wg
22:48:50 [anne]
krisk: should also test setting caption to null
22:49:00 [anne]
and whether that removes the element from the tree
22:49:17 [weinig]
weinig has joined #html-wg
22:49:56 [will]
will has joined #html-wg
22:50:48 [plinss__]
plinss__ has joined #html-wg
22:50:54 [anne]
and I guess there are some Web IDL tests to be made by setting it to "", 0, etc.
22:51:12 [MikeSmith]
MikeSmith has joined #html-wg
22:52:48 [kaz]
kaz has joined #html-wg
22:57:13 [plinss]
plinss has joined #html-wg
22:57:35 [eric_carlson]
eric_carlson has joined #html-wg
22:59:24 [JF]
JF has joined #html-wg
22:59:41 [tobie]
tobie has joined #html-wg
23:01:08 [plinss__]
plinss__ has joined #html-wg
23:01:57 [plinss__]
plinss__ has joined #html-wg
23:02:19 [KevinMarks]
KevinMarks has joined #html-wg
23:02:41 [plinss__]
plinss__ has joined #html-wg
23:03:54 [jkiss]
jkiss has left #html-wg
23:06:58 [pimpbot]
bugmail: [Bug 12417] HTML5 is missing attribute for specifying translatability of content <11>
23:12:37 [plinss]
plinss has joined #html-wg
23:14:29 [MichaelC]
MichaelC has joined #html-wg
23:14:47 [a12u]
a12u has joined #html-wg
23:18:30 [r12a]
r12a has joined #html-wg
23:20:41 [nonge]
nonge has joined #html-wg
23:28:18 [kffk]
kffk has joined #html-wg
23:28:26 [kffk]
kffk has left #html-wg
23:28:36 [plh]
23:28:38 [pimpbot]
Title: Media Types (at
23:28:44 [plh]
that's my test for today
23:31:12 [Ruinan]
Ruinan has left #html-wg
23:33:59 [samk]
samk has joined #html-wg
23:34:49 [igarashi]
igarashi has joined #html-wg
23:35:13 [KevinMarks]
KevinMarks has joined #html-wg
23:37:06 [pimpbot]
bugmail: [Bug 14698] New: The instructions for '>' say to emit the tag and then switch the tokenizer state. But emitting this tag may run an inline script. And if it does document.write(), then the tokenizer will be in the wrong state when invoked reentrantly. So switch to data s <11>
23:51:32 [r12a]
r12a has joined #html-wg
23:52:22 [davidb]
davidb has joined #html-wg
23:57:35 [pimpbot]
planet: Reddit: Browsers: Keeping up with HTML5 and browser support - HTML5Rocks Updates <11>
23:57:36 [JF]
JF has joined #html-wg