IRC log of rd on 2011-10-06

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:52:48 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #rd
14:52:48 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2011/10/06-rd-irc
14:52:50 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:52:52 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 7394
14:52:53 [trackbot]
Meeting: Research and Development Working Group Teleconference
14:52:53 [trackbot]
Date: 06 October 2011
14:53:02 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #rd
14:53:41 [sharper]
Chair: Harper_Simon
14:53:52 [sharper]
Agenda+ Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)
14:54:02 [sharper]
Agenda+ Final Agreement on Evaluation Procedure - http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Paper_Selection_Criteria
14:54:13 [sharper]
Agenda+ Formulate some of the questions and topics the chairs could raise on the panel
14:54:22 [sharper]
Agenda+ Any Other Business
14:54:35 [sharper]
zakim, save agenda
14:54:42 [Zakim]
ok, sharper, the agenda has been written to http://www.w3.org/2011/10/06-rd-agenda.rdf
14:55:00 [sharper]
rrsagent, make logs public
14:55:10 [sharper]
rrsagent, draft minutes
14:55:10 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/10/06-rd-minutes.html sharper
14:55:28 [sharper]
zakim, take up item 1
14:55:28 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)" taken up [from sharper]
14:55:51 [sharper]
regrets+ Conway_Vivienne
14:56:10 [sharper]
regrets+ O'Connor_Joshue
14:56:26 [sharper]
regrets+ Vigo_Markel
14:56:45 [sharper]
regrets+ Thiessen_Peter
14:57:00 [christos]
christos has joined #rd
14:57:02 [sharper]
regrets+ Yesilada_Yeliz
14:57:14 [sharper]
present+ Harper_Simon
14:57:35 [sharper]
present+ Abou-Zahra_Shadi
14:58:01 [giorgio]
giorgio has joined #rd
14:58:10 [sharper]
rrsagent, draft minutes
14:58:10 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/10/06-rd-minutes.html sharper
15:00:14 [giorgio]
no we canot
15:00:14 [christos]
no
15:00:15 [sharper]
s/here/hear
15:00:49 [giorgio]
yes
15:01:19 [sharper]
present+ Brajnik_Giorgio
15:03:26 [giorgio]
linphone
15:03:27 [Mario-Batusic]
Mario-Batusic has joined #rd
15:03:31 [shadi]
zakim, call shadi-617
15:04:21 [Zakim]
sorry, shadi, I don't know what conference this is
15:04:30 [shadi]
zakim, this is rdwg
15:05:12 [shadi]
zakim, you are really slow today!
15:05:30 [Zakim]
ok, shadi; that matches WAI_RDWG()11:00AM
15:06:04 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'you are really slow today!', shadi
15:06:22 [shadi]
zakim, this is rdwg
15:06:29 [shadi]
zakim, call shadi-617
15:06:36 [Zakim]
shadi, this was already WAI_RDWG()11:00AM
15:06:40 [Zakim]
ok, shadi; that matches WAI_RDWG()11:00AM
15:06:50 [Zakim]
ok, shadi; the call is being made
15:06:51 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
15:06:52 [Zakim]
+Shadi
15:07:17 [Zakim]
On the phone I see ??P32, ??P36, ??P56, Shadi
15:07:50 [Mario-Batusic]
Shadi, what is the entrance phone code? 7394?
15:08:02 [shadi]
zakim, code?
15:08:17 [Zakim]
the conference code is 7394 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 sip:zakim@voip.w3.org), shadi
15:09:15 [giorgio]
it looks like being shadi; for me it's ok.
15:09:27 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
15:09:32 [Mario-Batusic]
I get every time error: this passcode is not valide. What is it?
15:09:34 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
15:09:52 [shadi]
scribe: shadi
15:09:56 [shadi]
chair: simon
15:09:59 [shadi]
agenda?
15:10:22 [shadi]
ack me
15:10:52 [shadi]
zakim, take up agendum 2
15:10:52 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Final Agreement on Evaluation Procedure - http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Paper_Selection_Criteria" taken up [from sharper]
15:10:56 [giorgio]
that's fine with me
15:11:02 [shadi]
SH: prefer to defer to next week
15:11:03 [christos]
yes...
15:11:14 [shadi]
...to give all the editors an opportunity to discuss
15:11:20 [shadi]
zakim, take up agendum 3
15:11:20 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "Formulate some of the questions and topics the chairs could raise on the panel" taken up [from sharper]
15:11:32 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
15:11:32 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
15:11:58 [shadi]
SH: questions for the panel from the symposium chairs
15:12:54 [shadi]
GB: have to question that i think are important
15:13:04 [shadi]
...certainly not the only ones
15:13:23 [shadi]
...(1) who evaluates -- who carries out the methods
15:13:44 [shadi]
...(2) how to estimate the error the metric does
15:14:06 [shadi]
s/...(1) who evaluates -- who carries out the methods/...(1) how to measure the quality of the metric
15:14:17 [shadi]
ack me
15:14:48 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
15:14:48 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
15:15:08 [shadi]
...so dealing with validity
15:15:26 [shadi]
...then another group of question based on the conclusions drawn from the metrics
15:15:42 [Mario-Batusic]
Unfortunately, I cannot get in call - will be in chat only.
15:15:48 [shadi]
...did you select particular websites based on that?
15:15:53 [giorgio]
i cannot hear anything anymore
15:15:54 [sharper]
very clear
15:15:55 [Joshue]
Joshue has joined #rd
15:16:01 [shadi]
ack me
15:16:13 [giorgio]
now i hear shadi
15:16:55 [christos]
q+
15:17:01 [giorgio]
ok. very good
15:17:02 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
15:17:02 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
15:17:04 [giorgio]
yes
15:17:18 [shadi]
SAZ: also thinking about applicability or maturity of metrics
15:17:24 [shadi]
...are they ready to implement?
15:17:37 [shadi]
GB: yes, how demanding they are
15:17:41 [shadi]
...or how expensive
15:18:04 [shadi]
ack me
15:18:16 [shadi]
ack c
15:18:21 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
15:18:21 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
15:18:36 [shadi]
CK: also wondring about the application of the metrics
15:18:51 [shadi]
...can they be used in search engines? in other production chains?
15:18:55 [giorgio]
q+
15:19:05 [sharper]
q+
15:19:07 [shadi]
...how they can be applied in real life situations
15:19:11 [sharper]
ack g
15:19:27 [shadi]
GB: do mean we need to qualify the scenarios in the metrics we use?
15:19:44 [shadi]
CK: no, asking the authors how they see their metrics be deployable
15:20:00 [shadi]
...if they think they can be used in other applications
15:20:11 [shadi]
ack s
15:20:51 [shadi]
SH: also application parameters
15:21:09 [shadi]
...how apt they are for large websites, or if they are for specific purposes etc
15:21:29 [shadi]
...maybe a matrix of what coverage we have
15:21:36 [sharper]
ack s
15:22:01 [shadi]
GB: taxonomy of different metrics and implications when to use what type of metrics?
15:22:31 [shadi]
SH: as well as the taxonomy, what parameters we think would be desirable for certain types of metrics
15:22:54 [shadi]
...if it is automatable, longitudinal or generic etc
15:23:47 [shadi]
SAZ: sounds like a matrix of metrics
15:24:16 [shadi]
SH: also questions like "do think it is useful to have X-type metrics" and "if so, do we have any?"
15:24:45 [shadi]
...identify gaps of areas where we have no metrics that address concrete needs
15:25:10 [shadi]
...and identify metrics that are applicable to different areas like webapps, ARIA, etc
15:25:35 [shadi]
GB: can think of those as a particular questions
15:25:36 [shadi]
q+
15:25:47 [shadi]
...but leave open depending on contributions
15:25:59 [shadi]
ack me
15:26:02 [sharper]
ack sh
15:27:46 [shadi]
SAZ: would be a great goal of the consolidated report
15:28:09 [shadi]
...to map out the demand/availability situation
15:28:26 [shadi]
...but maybe not directly a question *during* the symposium
15:28:41 [shadi]
...maybe need questions to help achieve this purpose
15:28:44 [shadi]
GB: agree
15:29:01 [shadi]
SH: yes, this roadmap for researchers and developers is important
15:29:45 [shadi]
SH: how many questions do we need?
15:29:53 [shadi]
GB: around three questions?
15:30:32 [shadi]
SH: we have more than that but dependent on the type of submissions?
15:31:00 [shadi]
GB: yes, needs to be rooted on their particular experience
15:31:13 [shadi]
SH: do we need more discussion here or put on a wiki?
15:31:28 [shadi]
GB: put on a wiki and discuss more next week
15:31:49 [shadi]
SH: will start the page and put it on the agenda for next week
15:32:22 [shadi]
SAZ: or put on the existing page?
15:32:46 [shadi]
SH: might make page too long
15:32:54 [shadi]
SAZ: agree but make sure to interlink
15:33:10 [giorgio]
q+
15:33:13 [shadi]
Topic: Advertising for the CfP
15:33:19 [shadi]
SH: do we need more?
15:33:28 [shadi]
...are they where they should be?
15:33:47 [shadi]
GB: maybe send out a reminder two weeks before the deadline
15:34:52 [christos]
q+
15:34:58 [shadi]
SAZ: will check with shawn on preparing reminder announcement
15:35:06 [giorgio]
q-
15:35:07 [sharper]
ack c
15:35:18 [shadi]
...think the spread seems quite broad but no submissions yet
15:35:39 [shadi]
SH: usually on the night of the deadline
15:35:49 [giorgio]
yes, we can do that once we have the conference "program"
15:37:22 [shadi]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/
15:38:08 [shadi]
action: shadi look for possibility of reminder tools
15:38:08 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-4 - Look for possibility of reminder tools [on Shadi Abou-Zahra - due 2011-10-13].
15:39:10 [shadi]
iCalendar subscription for due actions
15:39:13 [giorgio]
gcalendar is ok with me
15:39:24 [giorgio]
google clanedar
15:39:38 [christos]
google is fine with me
15:41:52 [giorgio]
I'm fine
15:42:01 [shadi]
[discussion of combining tracker with google calendar for reminders]
15:42:19 [Zakim]
-??P56
15:42:22 [Zakim]
-??P32
15:42:23 [shadi]
zakim, list attendees
15:42:24 [Zakim]
As of this point the attendees have been Shadi
15:42:29 [Zakim]
-??P36
15:42:32 [Zakim]
-Shadi
15:42:33 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()11:00AM has ended
15:42:33 [Zakim]
Attendees were Shadi
15:42:37 [shadi]
trackbot, end meeting
15:42:37 [trackbot]
Zakim, list attendees
15:42:37 [Zakim]
sorry, trackbot, I don't know what conference this is
15:42:38 [giorgio]
quit
15:42:38 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, please draft minutes
15:42:38 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/10/06-rd-minutes.html trackbot
15:42:39 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, bye
15:42:39 [RRSAgent]
I see 1 open action item saved in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/06-rd-actions.rdf :
15:42:39 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: shadi look for possibility of reminder tools [1]
15:42:39 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/06-rd-irc#T15-38-08