IRC log of gld on 2011-09-29

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:51:14 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #gld
13:51:14 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2011/09/29-gld-irc
13:51:54 [csarven]
Meeting: Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference
13:52:10 [csarven]
trackbot-ng, start telcon
13:52:12 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
13:52:14 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be EGOV_GLD
13:52:14 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
13:52:15 [trackbot]
Meeting: Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference
13:52:15 [trackbot]
Date: 29 September 2011
13:53:07 [csarven]
Zakim, list conferences
13:53:07 [Zakim]
I see Team_(epub)13:00Z, WAI_ERTWG(Eval TF)10:00AM, W3C_WSTAR()9:30AM, T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM active
13:53:10 [Zakim]
also scheduled at this time are Team_Comm(CGBG)9:00AM, Math_IG()10:00AM, INC_LLDXG()10:00AM, IA_WebApps(Widgets)9:00AM, MM_MMI(EMMA)10:00AM, SW_RDFa()10:00AM, Team_(dnt)14:00Z,
13:53:12 [Zakim]
... WF_TF()9:00AM, UW_POI(POIWG)10:00AM, Team_Global(review)8:00AM, UW_UWA()9:00AM, WAI_PFWG(AAPI)10:00AM, XML_PMWG()10:00AM
13:53:30 [csarven]
Zakim, This is T&S_GLDWG()
13:53:30 [Zakim]
ok, csarven; that matches T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM
13:53:46 [olyerickson]
zakim, who is on the phone?
13:53:46 [Zakim]
On the phone I see olyerickson
13:54:05 [olyerickson]
zakim, you are a genius...
13:54:05 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'you are a genius', olyerickson
13:54:23 [olyerickson]
zakim, what conference is this?
13:54:23 [Zakim]
this is T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM conference code 45394
13:55:09 [rreck]
rreck has joined #gld
13:55:26 [Zakim]
+davidwood
13:55:38 [bhyland]
davidwood is me
13:55:57 [gatemezi]
gatemezi has joined #gld
13:56:01 [Zakim]
+mhausenblas
13:56:16 [Zakim]
+ +1.757.864.aaaa
13:56:48 [csarven]
Zakim, mhausenblas is me
13:56:48 [Zakim]
+csarven; got it
13:57:05 [Zakim]
+ +1.703.292.aabb
13:57:14 [TinaGheen]
TinaGheen has joined #gld
13:57:55 [csarven]
Chair: Bernadette Hyland
13:58:00 [csarven]
Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.09.29
13:58:10 [csarven]
Chair: bhyland
13:58:51 [csarven]
Scribe: Sarven Capadisli
13:58:58 [csarven]
ScribeNick: csarven
13:59:33 [Zakim]
+ +1.202.566.aacc
13:59:52 [gatemezi]
zakim, who is here?
13:59:52 [Zakim]
On the phone I see olyerickson, davidwood, csarven, +1.757.864.aaaa, +1.703.292.aabb, +1.202.566.aacc
13:59:52 [Zakim]
On IRC I see TinaGheen, gatemezi, rreck, RRSAgent, Zakim, olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, cygri, danbri, trackbot, sandro
14:00:41 [gatemezi]
hi all...
14:00:59 [bellows]
bellows has joined #gld
14:01:16 [Zakim]
+ZacharyWhitley
14:01:30 [Zakim]
+ +1.218.296.aadd
14:01:37 [annew]
annew has joined #gld
14:01:38 [MikePendleton]
MikePendleton has joined #gld
14:01:44 [rreck]
zakim, +1.218.296.aadd is me
14:01:44 [Zakim]
+rreck; got it
14:01:48 [Zakim]
+Sandro
14:01:49 [rreck]
zakim, mute me
14:01:49 [Zakim]
rreck should now be muted
14:01:53 [olyerickson]
+1 to stating our names...
14:02:02 [Zakim]
+ +1.202.691.aaee
14:02:45 [bellows]
bellows has left #gld
14:03:20 [Zakim]
+??P44
14:03:26 [ZacharyWhitley]
ZacharyWhitley has joined #gld
14:03:29 [csarven]
bhyland: Welcome everybody
14:03:42 [rreck]
inflamatory aside, i wonder how to elicit truthful comments
14:03:59 [csarven]
bhyland: Please identify yourselves before speaking
14:04:30 [gatemezi]
zakim, who is here?
14:04:30 [Zakim]
On the phone I see olyerickson, davidwood, csarven, +1.757.864.aaaa, TinaGheen, +1.202.566.aacc, ZacharyWhitley, rreck (muted), Sandro, +1.202.691.aaee, ??P44
14:04:31 [GeraldSteeman]
GeraldSteeman has joined #gld
14:04:34 [Zakim]
On IRC I see ZacharyWhitley, MikePendleton, annew, TinaGheen, gatemezi, rreck, RRSAgent, Zakim, olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, cygri, danbri, trackbot, sandro
14:04:44 [ZacharyWhitley]
zakim, who's here?
14:04:44 [Zakim]
On the phone I see olyerickson, davidwood, csarven, +1.757.864.aaaa, TinaGheen, +1.202.566.aacc, ZacharyWhitley, rreck (muted), Sandro, +1.202.691.aaee, ??P44
14:04:49 [Zakim]
On IRC I see GeraldSteeman, ZacharyWhitley, MikePendleton, annew, TinaGheen, gatemezi, rreck, RRSAgent, Zakim, olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, cygri, danbri, trackbot, sandro
14:04:51 [Zakim]
+ +1.267.481.aaff
14:05:03 [csarven]
bhyland: Let's doublecheck http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Scribes and add yourself at some point
14:05:16 [luis_bermudez]
luis_bermudez has joined #gld
14:05:38 [JohnGoodwin]
JohnGoodwin has joined #gld
14:05:45 [sandro]
sandro has changed the topic to: Government Linked Data (GLD) WG -- http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/ -- Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.09.29
14:05:46 [csarven]
bhyland: We have the infrastructure ready to go
14:06:38 [csarven]
bhyland: Please add more to the agenda if we've let something out
14:06:45 [MikePendleton]
aacc is me
14:06:56 [sandro]
zakim, aacc is MikePendleton
14:06:56 [Zakim]
+MikePendleton; got it
14:07:12 [sandro]
MikePendleton, you do need to start with "Zakim, " :-)
14:07:30 [sandro]
Zakim, aaee is DanGilman
14:07:30 [Zakim]
+DanGilman; got it
14:07:33 [GeraldSteeman]
757.864.aaaa is me
14:07:44 [csarven]
Zakim, aaee is Dan Gillman
14:07:44 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'aaee is Dan Gillman', csarven
14:07:51 [sandro]
Zakim, aaaa is GeraldSteeman
14:07:51 [Zakim]
+GeraldSteeman; got it
14:08:09 [csarven]
PROPOSAL: Accept minutes of last meeting ( http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.09.22 )
14:08:25 [olyerickson]
@csarven note that human name formats don't work; always use nicks
14:08:43 [olyerickson]
+1 to accept minutes
14:08:51 [csarven]
+1
14:08:56 [MikePendleton]
+1 to accept minutes
14:09:06 [gatemezi]
+1 to accept minutes
14:09:31 [JohnGoodwin]
+1 but only just read them...was there last week
14:09:35 [csarven]
RESOLUTION: Minutes of last meeting accepted
14:09:45 [csarven]
Topic: Deliverables
14:09:48 [sandro]
DanGilman: I was there last week, but not shown in minutes....
14:09:52 [csarven]
Subtopic: Community Directory Summary
14:10:19 [csarven]
bhyland: Good start for F2F in August
14:10:21 [olyerickson]
@scarven minutes should be "accepted as amended" (re: DanGilman added to attendees)
14:10:49 [csarven]
bhyland: Cleaned up the requirements
14:10:52 [bhyland]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Community_Directory_Requirements
14:10:58 [Zakim]
+??P53
14:11:37 [csarven]
bhyland: Moved some of the content to a new page for a new set of requirements for a community directory. All are encouraged to update.
14:12:09 [csarven]
bhyland: If you need a login to http://directory.3roundstones.net let me know.
14:12:28 [rreck]
email you and sandro to request editorial capability?
14:12:44 [sandro]
just bhyland
14:13:00 [olyerickson]
q+
14:13:06 [csarven]
bhyland: Add/modify company name or add project info. Let's get this going w/ better information.
14:13:37 [csarven]
bhyland: It would be nice 52 entries because we have that many members in this WG
14:14:01 [bhyland]
q?
14:14:05 [csarven]
sandro: Can anyone add info about any other company/project?
14:14:31 [csarven]
bhyland: I prefer to add own information, but stubs are welcome
14:15:20 [csarven]
sandro: Let's identify stubs and then work forward from there. Sort of like a good TODO
14:15:37 [GeraldSteeman]
+1 on stub idea
14:16:30 [stk]
stk has joined #gld
14:16:50 [MikePendleton]
what user name/password should we be using to edit entries in the Community Directory?
14:17:02 [csarven]
bhyland: We can use a CNAME for http://directory.3roundstones.net to make it look like a W3, that'd be fine.
14:18:04 [csarven]
bhyland: There are some useful/neat features for the community directory data. Minor reflection of the reality.
14:18:38 [csarven]
bhyland: e.g., who provides ontology development
14:19:00 [bhyland]
q?
14:19:56 [sandro]
q+
14:20:11 [csarven]
JohnGoodwin: Did you mean we need to provide credentials for the login? Which role do I use to add info?
14:20:34 [bhyland]
That is John Erickson (olyerickson) speaking from RPI
14:20:57 [sandro]
ack olyerickson
14:20:57 [stk]
zakim, who is here
14:20:58 [Zakim]
stk, you need to end that query with '?'
14:21:06 [stk]
zakim, who is here?
14:21:06 [Zakim]
On the phone I see olyerickson, davidwood, csarven, GeraldSteeman, TinaGheen, MikePendleton, ZacharyWhitley, rreck (muted), Sandro, DanGilman, ??P44, +1.267.481.aaff, ??P53
14:21:10 [Zakim]
On IRC I see stk, JohnGoodwin, GeraldSteeman, ZacharyWhitley, MikePendleton, annew, TinaGheen, gatemezi, rreck, RRSAgent, Zakim, olyerickson, bhyland, csarven, cygri, danbri,
14:21:12 [Zakim]
... trackbot, sandro
14:21:49 [csarven]
olyerickson: It'd be great to let 3rd parties to update the community data
14:21:57 [sandro]
q-
14:22:00 [stk]
zakim, ??P53 is stk
14:22:00 [Zakim]
+stk; got it
14:22:18 [bhyland]
q?
14:22:22 [JohnGoodwin]
csarven - was that aimed at the other John?
14:22:29 [csarven]
bhyland: Agreed. Wiki way of updating would be better. Lowering the barrier.
14:23:19 [csarven]
bhyland: Please update the requirements as you see fit. AND I will threaten you in the future! (guaranteed)
14:23:47 [csarven]
... :p
14:23:50 [olyerickson]
+1 to adding LOL's about GLD community members ;)
14:24:51 [csarven]
bhyland: Let's make sure to document all the exciting cases out there. And get the word out for the work we are doing.
14:24:57 [csarven]
Subtopic: Best Practices
14:25:02 [bhyland]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Best_Practices_Discussion_Summary
14:25:10 [olyerickson]
q+
14:25:35 [csarven]
olyerickson: I can talk about my questions regarding Provenance
14:25:57 [csarven]
olyerickson: Trying to understand (or group consensus) where Provenance info should go.
14:26:32 [rreck]
when i use provenance, it is ultimately help me determine how well i know something
14:27:17 [csarven]
olyerickson: Technical aspect of vocabularies.. this might be easy for us because W3C Provenance WG has done good work that we can work with
14:27:22 [csarven]
olyerickson: Any comments?
14:27:23 [bhyland]
Per olyerickson's email 27-Sept-2011:
14:27:24 [bhyland]
Because our mission is to provide "best practices" guidance, I would
14:27:24 [bhyland]
argue there are both vocabulary "policy" components
14:27:24 [bhyland]
* Vocabulary, for obvious reasons: the options available for binding
14:27:24 [bhyland]
provenance data to GLD
14:27:24 [bhyland]
* Policy (for lack of a better term) that guides stakeholders in
14:27:25 [bhyland]
making decisions about what provenance is, its implications, how to
14:27:28 [bhyland]
generate it
14:27:31 [bhyland]
q?
14:27:39 [bhyland]
ack olyerickson
14:27:46 [JohnGoodwin]
http://open-biomed.sourceforge.net/opmv/ns.html
14:28:05 [csarven]
JohnGoodwin: I've not done any work on this, but I know some people from data.gov.uk
14:28:18 [csarven]
olyerickson: Where do we talk about this exactly?
14:28:45 [csarven]
JohnGoodwin: We know what's done, but where do we talk about the stuff that we are trying to create for Provenance in GLD WG.
14:29:24 [JohnGoodwin]
wrong John ;)
14:29:25 [cygri]
cygri has joined #gld
14:29:55 [csarven]
olyerickson: Part of our discussion should be guided from high level stand point and the ..
14:30:37 [csarven]
bhyland: People will look at both the actual standard as well as what the GLD WG recommends.
14:30:38 [rreck]
you should and here's how sounds like a great approach
14:31:12 [olyerickson]
+1 to "You shoulds" in "Best Practices," "here's how" in "Std Vocabs"
14:31:22 [csarven]
bhyland: GLD WG would merely point at existing docs/groups elsewhere
14:32:05 [olyerickson]
"pragmantic provenance" in "Best Practices"
14:32:05 [csarven]
olyerickson: Sounds good
14:32:47 [bhyland]
q?
14:33:01 [csarven]
bhyland: Do we have anyone from the vocab group that would like to touch on that?
14:34:28 [rreck]
i missed it too
14:34:43 [gatemezi]
I suggest to have a telecon with all the vocab group to plan the work
14:34:58 [rreck]
+1 vocab telecon
14:35:13 [rreck]
i didnt receive the email either, but would be interested
14:35:31 [csarven]
DanGilman: Sent an email to the list, but it may have not made it
14:36:33 [Zakim]
+??P6
14:37:03 [rreck]
lurker
14:37:17 [annew]
Anne just tried to join on zakim ekiga sip
14:37:20 [annew]
I am muted
14:37:31 [sandro]
zakim, ??P6 is AnneW
14:37:31 [Zakim]
+AnneW; got it
14:37:33 [annew]
Hey watch it!
14:37:49 [csarven]
Topic: Input for "Progress of GLD WG" for Keynote at the Open Government Data Camp 2011 ( http://ogdcamp.org/ )
14:37:53 [rreck]
annew: im chatting you in the other window
14:38:09 [bhyland]
Workshop at Open Government Data Camp, see http://www.w3.org/blog/SW/
14:38:53 [csarven]
bhyland: This is our WG Keynote, hence, you are invited to give your input/insights/feelings about the WG's progress. Lot's of people there.
14:39:14 [csarven]
JohnGoodwin: I can send some slides
14:40:03 [bhyland]
JohnGoodwin: Have something called UK Location Programme, within that a LD working group including Ordnance Survey & others.
14:40:25 [olyerickson]
@bhyland RPI can provide slide material on LOGD, IOGDS ("Int'l Catalog") and/or Instance Hub if you wish
14:40:28 [csarven]
JohnGoodwin: UK Location Programme, roughly speaking group of gov bodies for location agenda.. and within that we have agencies e.g., environment (publishes water quality.. linked to ordanenace survey)
14:40:48 [sandro]
q+
14:41:19 [olyerickson]
doh!
14:42:12 [bhyland]
RE: SemTech London - per JohnGoodwin most of the good talks were from government, including Bart van Leeuwen/Amsterdam Fire Dept, Jenny and John Sheridan on National Archives ...
14:42:54 [olyerickson]
RE #SemTechBiz, LDodd's preso on data quality (vs billions of triples) was good/useful
14:43:09 [annew]
rreck: just loaded this sip voip software. unfamiliar with it. and don't' see a private chat
14:44:12 [gatemezi]
@olyerickson: can we have a pointer of that preso?
14:44:24 [olyerickson]
Yep looking...just a sec...
14:44:34 [gatemezi]
TIA
14:45:01 [csarven]
bhyland: Let's document what's going on out there. Email me or use the wiki.
14:45:04 [olyerickson]
Leigh Dodds preso: http://www.slideshare.net/ldodds/the-rdf-report-card-beyond-the-triple-count
14:45:37 [olyerickson]
that's @ldodds (talis) "beyond the triple count"
14:45:48 [csarven]
bhyland: Anyone else attended London SemTechBiz?
14:45:50 [bhyland]
q?
14:47:36 [bhyland]
olyerickson: Leigh's point is that it isn't about a high triple count, it is about making data useful to consumers, whomever they may be.
14:47:39 [csarven]
olyerickson: We should pay attention to what Kassabi folks are saying because it is about making data more consumable as opposed to having a pile of random data
14:48:59 [gatemezi]
I think that data that can not derive "knowledge" is useless...
14:49:48 [csarven]
sandro: Public is public
14:50:08 [csarven]
Topic: Schema.org
14:50:20 [csarven]
sandro: Who knows about schema.org?
14:50:20 [olyerickson]
+10 to hearing about it
14:50:49 [csarven]
sandro: schema.org is an effort between GYM.
14:51:20 [csarven]
sandro: yahoo called it SearchMonkey, Google uses RichSnippets.. so, now there is schema.org, which is a common vocab for a much larger domain.
14:51:40 [csarven]
sandro: Not necessarily talking about how it will be used but how people should make their data available.
14:51:47 [csarven]
sandro: Sooooort of close to W3C's standards.
14:52:13 [csarven]
sandro: Tried to get all towards the same goal
14:52:29 [luis_bermudez]
luis_bermudez has joined #gld
14:52:31 [olyerickson]
FYI, "GYM" is Google-Bing (aka Google/Yahoo!/Microsoft)
14:52:55 [csarven]
sandro: SemWeb people were afraid of the big search engines would take over.. even though this was just a discussion.
14:53:48 [csarven]
sandro: It touches on Gov vocabs, but just on people.. not sufficient. Will have to look more closely.
14:54:06 [csarven]
bhyland: sandro, can you talk about Facebook?
14:54:17 [csarven]
sandro: Facebook didn't show up.
14:54:43 [csarven]
sandro: They are doing their Open Graph Protocol, and not coordinating with the schema.org as far as we know
14:54:49 [olyerickson]
This group may be interested in http://schema.rdfs.org/ , a "...complementary effort by people from the Linked Data community to support Schema.org deployment and usage with a special focus on Linked Data..."
14:56:51 [olyerickson]
+1 to Schema.org being a vote for simple/easy-to-adopt structured data
14:57:28 [olyerickson]
+1 to OGP (facebook) *also* being about simple/easy-to-adopt structured data...
14:58:09 [annew]
+1 great project to get involved in Sandro
14:58:15 [bhyland]
q?
14:58:20 [bhyland]
ack sandro
14:58:20 [sandro]
q-
14:59:55 [csarven]
bhyland: Please do your homework i.e., community directory (details entered). We'll make it easier to update.
15:00:29 [olyerickson]
Re Datacube, yes
15:00:35 [csarven]
??: Did we discuss DataCube in the past?
15:00:53 [olyerickson]
We had a DataCube preso a few weeks ago
15:01:04 [bhyland]
The Data Cube was discussed & presented at the F2F in June.
15:01:08 [olyerickson]
They are in the minutes
15:01:12 [olyerickson]
q+
15:01:30 [bhyland]
Let's plan to have another discussion at the Jan 2012 F2F.
15:02:02 [Zakim]
-MikePendleton
15:02:08 [olyerickson]
q-
15:02:37 [csarven]
bhyland: Important to bump our activity on the vocabs
15:03:12 [csarven]
bhyland: Participation is key here
15:03:46 [gatemezi]
@bhyland: as editor, you can plan a telecon
15:04:20 [Zakim]
-AnneW
15:04:21 [olyerickson]
+1 to adjourning...
15:04:22 [Zakim]
-DanGilman
15:04:24 [Zakim]
-ZacharyWhitley
15:04:26 [csarven]
Thanks
15:04:26 [Zakim]
-davidwood
15:04:28 [Zakim]
-??P44
15:04:32 [Zakim]
- +1.267.481.aaff
15:04:34 [Zakim]
-olyerickson
15:04:36 [Zakim]
-GeraldSteeman
15:04:36 [rreck]
bubye
15:04:40 [Zakim]
-TinaGheen
15:04:42 [Zakim]
-stk
15:04:45 [Zakim]
-csarven
15:04:45 [olyerickson]
olyerickson has left #GLD
15:04:46 [Zakim]
-Sandro
15:04:58 [Zakim]
-rreck
15:05:01 [Zakim]
T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM has ended
15:05:03 [Zakim]
Attendees were olyerickson, davidwood, +1.757.864.aaaa, csarven, +1.703.292.aabb, +1.202.566.aacc, ZacharyWhitley, rreck, Sandro, TinaGheen, +1.202.691.aaee, +1.267.481.aaff,
15:05:06 [bhyland]
@csarven - do you see the http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.09.29#Scribe.27s_End_of_Meeting_Checklist
15:05:09 [Zakim]
... MikePendleton, DanGilman, GeraldSteeman, stk, AnneW
15:05:33 [csarven]
RRSAgent, set logs world-visible
15:05:41 [csarven]
RRSAgent, make minutes
15:05:41 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/09/29-gld-minutes.html csarven
15:06:11 [stk]
stk has left #gld
15:06:32 [bhyland]
@csarven, good, the important part is done … let me know if you have any trouble with the rest of the steps. Thanks for scribing.
15:06:53 [csarven]
@bhyland I get "Sorry, Insufficient Access Privileges" for that URL
15:09:05 [csarven]
Do I have to do something at http://www.w3.org/2009/CommonScribe/panel/?group=gld&go=Use+This+Group before accessing the preliminary minutes?
15:11:26 [csarven]
Apologies if I've missed a few important comments from the members.
15:20:04 [bhyland]
You know what I missed? Action item review.
15:20:44 [csarven]
oh no.. I was going to mention it but it totally slipped my mind at the end.
15:21:06 [csarven]
There was one due today and one other at least that was overdue IIRC
15:24:15 [bhyland]
c'est le vie. Well, I'm getting "Sorry, Insufficient Access Privileges" too on http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2011-09-29 ...
15:25:16 [bhyland]
For everyone's reference, here is a write up on semtech London by Eric Franzon, see http://semanticweb.com/report-from-semtechbiz-uk_b23494
15:29:15 [csarven]
bhyland: We have draft minutes now!
15:29:39 [bhyland]
great, RRSAgent is a slow poke ...
15:29:56 [bhyland]
bits flowing sloooooowly to MIT server
15:45:51 [csarven]
bhyland: I've made a minor correction to the minutes. Anything else to edit before generating a preview?
15:50:50 [bhyland]
did you fix up the MikePendleton which needs to be expanded to MichaelPendleton issue? I tried but maybe we clobbered each others edits.
15:51:14 [bhyland]
It still looks wrong to me …
15:58:19 [csarven]
bhyland I see MichaelPendleton
15:59:04 [csarven]
bhyland http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/index.php?title=Chatlog_2011-09-29&diff=916&oldid=914 So, I think it is oaky.
16:19:47 [trackbot]
trackbot has joined #gld
16:23:22 [csarven]
bhyland: Are we okay now to generate preview?
17:30:27 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #gld
18:01:31 [MacTed]
MacTed has joined #gld