Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference

22 Sep 2011


See also: IRC log




<trackbot> Date: 22 September 2011

<atemezi> Hi all..

<cgueret_work> Hi


<atemezi> @Sandro: who is MacTed?

<sandro> atemezi, MacTed is Ted Thibodeau of OpenLink Software.

<Yigal> I assume everyone is having a problem with the telecon conference code?

<cygri> sandro, code?

<sandro> should be gldwg


<sandro> dialing now

<Yigal> Right, sandro, but it isn't accepted.

<cgueret_work> @cygri is that 45394 you are asking for ?


thanks michael

<olyerickson> I did not have a problem with the code; used 45394

<atemezi> @Sandro: thx. but rrsagent has problem to parse it..when making minutes.. same as for the invited people

<scribe> Scribe: boris

<olyerickson> @bhyland I am on a landline today so can talk ;)

<sandro> :-)



bhyland: Scribe checklist ...
... welcome to everyone
...: recap last meeting
... talk from John Goodwin
... talk from Bernard
....: anyone new?

sarven: He works in DERI with Michael and Richard
....: works in data-gov.ie

<bkaempgen> One question regarding Zakim: If I am connected through Skype, how do I know which phone code I am?
...: publishing, building apps, census data

bhyland: thanks Sarven

Sarven: he will start collaborating with the cookbook

<bkaempgen> ok, thanks mhausenblas

PROPOSAL: Accept minutes of last meeting

<mhausenblas> +1

<gt> +1

<cgueret_work> +1


RESOLUTION: Minutes of last meeting accepted

<atemezi> just one question.. how to deal this "MacTed' does not match any of the 52 active names with rrsagent?"

Sandro: talk about how to manage the minutes

bhyland: today, discuss about deliverables ... and progress of this WG
...: try to well spend this 1 hour per week
... we can always email, but it is good to talk
... Keynote on the Vocamp in GLD

<sandro> atemezi, add a line like: Guest: Ted (MacTed) Thibedeau
...: get input of how this WG is going

<atemezi> @Sandro: thx
...: check open actions
... anyone has problem with accessing the wiki?


<trackbot> ACTION-4 -- George Thomas to organize telecon with Zach, Dan, John, George, Richard for a Cube Vocab review -- due 2011-08-18 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/4

<cygri> ACTION-1?

<trackbot> ACTION-1 -- Sandro Hawke to investigate access issues to the wiki -- due 2011-08-11 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/1


<trackbot> ACTION-5 -- John Erickson to connect with Stephen Cresswell (UK-TSO) regarding provenance -- due 2011-09-08 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/5

<olyerickson> To review Action 5, see: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/5

John: start talking ....
...: we can close this action
... but, now what do we want from provenance?
... one outcome is the provision of best practices of provenance in GLD
... no standards for it
... current research on provenance is not applicable
... let's discuss about this

HadleyBeeman: some of the data is spreadsheets, ....,
... provenance can help to understand how the comples is the data ...

<olyerickson> +1 to helping user/consumer understand "how" to interpret data

Action Item on Provenance

HadleyBeeman: also include requirements

<olyerickson> +1 to "pragmatic provenance"

<HadleyBeeman> "pragmatic provenance" — good word, bhyland

<bhyland> HadleyBeeman: Her group wants to figure out ways to better communicate to users what the provenance is, how to interpret data, so people know what they are looking at.

bhyland: any comments regarding provenance?
... looking on the charter .... this should be apart of the best practices?

<olyerickson> +1 to "sniffing on it..." ;)

bhyland: adding it into the best practices?

<HadleyBeeman> +1 to adding it to best practices

<cgueret_work> +1 to add provenance in best practices

olyerickson: Happy to contribute
... best practices is where it goes to

<gt> 1 to add provenance in best practices

olyerickson: practical provenance is good

<gt> +1 to add provenance in best practices

<gt> vocab guidance and usage examples would be great

olyerickson: is about how to create provenance data

<bhyland> Discussion around "pragematic provenance", RPI is doing "supply side provenance" work.

olyerickson: discussion about pragmatic provenance
... how government data should use and interact in other apps ...

<bhyland> olyerickson: Encouraged everyone to look at Stephen Cresswell's work, see http://wiki.esi.ac.uk/Provenance_in_Publication_of_Legislation and the notes olyerickson wrote up in the Action #5.

olyerickson: present provenance data to consumers

cygri: the w3c provenance group is ongoing

<olyerickson> +1 to well-aligned with PROV

<cgueret_work> +1

cygri: we have to make sure whatever we do should be align with the provenance group

<bhyland> cygri: One concern is to coordinate with the W3C Provenance Group. We should dovetail.

<cgueret_work> +q

olyerickson: government is very specific domain

<gt> +1 - and it would be nice if GLD has consensus around PROV prescribed vocab use - which is largely driven by UK GLD work already

<cygri> +1 to gt

<gt> if you're looking at someone's mashup app that uses some gld you should be able to 'see' the associated provenance

bhyland: let's discussion about this, if we agree to include pragmatic provenance in the best practices doc

<olyerickson> @gt +1

<cgueret_work> paul groth

cgueret_work: contact with the cochair of the PRovenace Group
... paul groth


<trackbot> ACTION-6 -- George Thomas to follow up with bhyland, ChrisMusialek and cory-c regarding NIEM interaction with US Data.gov PMO -- due 2011-09-15 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/6

<olyerickson> @gt we've done some work in that area but not driven by REQUIREMENTS

george: is in progress

bhlyand: action 6 closed

george: still talking about action 6?


<trackbot> ACTION-8 -- George Thomas to refactor some HHS CQLD GLD using QB -- due 2011-09-15 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/8

george: action 8 is still ope


Community directory

bhyland: one person was on charge of this ... from revelytix
... send an email remainder

<scribe> ... in progress

UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: anyone want to collaborate?
... anyone wants to help?

TinaGheen: no soft. progr.?

<atemezi> @bhyland: collaborate for ComDir?

bhyland: appropiate kind of information ...
... objective information, visualization

TinaGheen: happy to help

Best Practices

michael: I was busy, but contribute in the following weeks
... initial idea, put the content from the wiki page
... to the official document
... no much content on the wiki

<cgueret_work> shall we add a provenance section to the wiki page?

bhyland: reflexion ... we have to work on this ...let's be productive

<olyerickson> IMHO +1 to "GLD Provenance" section on Wiki but I think @bhyland & @gt should decide ;)

bhyland: GLD Provenance in the wiki ...

<gt> nothing to update from me - feeling the heat under my seat

<mhausenblas> Michael: See http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Best_Practices_Discussion_Summary

olyerickson: sounds good, put some sort of seeds for the Provenance section

<bhyland> ACTION: olyerickson to plug in "seed" content re: pragmatic provenance into the Best Practices wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-gld-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-9 - Plug in "seed" content re: pragmatic provenance into the Best Practices wiki [on John Erickson - due 2011-09-29].

bhyland: do not close action 5 yet

<olyerickson> Close Action-5

<trackbot> ACTION-5 Connect with Stephen Cresswell (UK-TSO) regarding provenance closed

<cgueret_work> ACTION: cgueret_work to talk with Paul about provenance [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-gld-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-10 - Talk with Paul about provenance [on Christophe Gueret - due 2011-09-29].

TOPIC standard vocabularies

benedict: question regarding semantics statistics workshops, impresions?

Standard Vocabs for GLD

richard: a number of potential things interesting for this WG, but it is early

<bhyland> cygri: there was a workshop on the intersection of statistical data and sem technologies.

richard: data cube, what is microdata ... metadata for this data collection

<olyerickson> Q: Curious about "standards" for vocab publication. I love Neologism, but seems like DCAT shifted from CTIC -> Neologism -> Plain Old HTML (W3C)

<atemezi> Lov could be a good starting point for Standard Vocabs

cygri: too early to talk about this
... from the data cube side ... nothing much

<bhyland> cygri: this workshop is nascient at this stage … how to tackle new areas not covered by data cube.

cygri: more people interested on data cube ... discussion on how to tackle new areas not covered by data cube

<gt> discussion with Dan Gillman yesterday (don't think Dan is on this call today), mentioned this event, and sounds as if Richard is making a SKOS convert out of him - but he also talked about some (apparently) agreed 'deficiencies' of SKOS - presumably to be used for extending QB(?)?

cygri: was in Germany
... ddi ... is an xml standard
... people use to describe data files in the services

<mhausenblas> Michael: Re DDI see http://www.ddialliance.org/

cygri: workshop ... how to connect this community to semantic web
... one thing ... extending skos?

<atemezi> +1 for "extending skos"

dan: data documentation initiative, standards, classification schemes ... sdmx, data cube ...

<bhyland> Dan Gillman: Looking at data documentation standard meets needs with a sprinkle of stat data cube. Addressed the viability of SKOS to meet the needs of social scientists & beyond.

dan: discussion about how to extend skos ....
... wrote a report about this

<bhyland> Dan Gillman: Wrote recommendation/report on the basics. Dan offered to share a copy with this working group.

dan: offers to share the report with us

bhyland: thanks for sharing
... send it to the public gld mailing list

acks bkaempgen

cygri: no much work on the data cube in the past few weeks
... take the specification from googlecode and create a w3c draft
... it would be a editors draft ...

<mhausenblas> Michael: We're using https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gld/

<bhyland> cygri: There hasn't been too much concrete progress in the last few weeks in the GLD Vocab Group, but he's planning to start the editor's draft based on existing spec.

<olyerickson> For the minutes, please specify URL for Data Cube draft (google code)

<cygri> current data cube draft is here: http://publishing-statistical-data.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/specs/src/main/html/cube.html

bhyland: comment about the status of the WG
... anyone wants to say sth

Progress with GLD WG

<bhyland> cygri: We've gone through the normal WG 'start up phase', now we have to transition to the day to day work of the WG. This needs to happen.

<mhausenblas> Michael: I've updated the Wiki at http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Main_Page#Deliverables to reflect the workspace

<bhyland> cygri: Don't know if everything on the Deliverables will be done. A lot of interest. There has be interest & energy from within the group to drive it forward, it cannot be the co-chairs.

<mhausenblas> Michael: +1 to what Richard said

HadleyBeeman: ... noise

<HadleyBeeman> deadlines would be great

<HadleyBeeman> (even if they're aspirational)

<HadleyBeeman> It's hard to know what to feed into, when. And where our priorities are in any given week.

bhyland: put some efforts on the community directory ...

<olyerickson> ahhh

olyerickson: +1 to richard

bhyland announcements?

<olyerickson> +1 to great meeting! ;)

<gt> +1 and thanks Bernadette and Boris - bye all!

<HadleyBeeman> Thanks, bhyland!

<cgueret_work> bye

<sandro> thanks, bhyland !

<bhyland> Thank you Boris, please let me know of edits to the scribe "short sheet".

<atemezi> thanks, bye!!

thank you bhyland .... you help a lot with the scribbing ...

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: cgueret_work to talk with Paul about provenance [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-gld-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: olyerickson to plug in "seed" content re: pragmatic provenance into the Best Practices wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-gld-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/09/22 15:08:55 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: boris
Inferring ScribeNick: boris

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: EMMA Eval George_Thomas HadleyBeeman John MM_MMI MacTed Michael MikePendleton P31 P33 P35 P52 PROPOSAL SW_RDFa S_GLDWG Sarven TF Team_ Team_Global TinaGheen WAI_ERTWG WF_TF XML_PMWG Yigal ZacharyWhitley aaaa aabb aacc aadd aaee aaff aahh aaii aajj aakk active atemezi benedict bhlyand bhyland bkaempgen boris cgueret_work csarven cygri dan dnt epa_burgoon george gld gt joined martinAlvarez mhausenblas olyerickson perso review richard sandro trackbot wf
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.09.22

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 22 Sep 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-gld-minutes.html
People with action items: cgueret_work olyerickson

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]