Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference

15 Sep 2011


See also: IRC log




Hi all..

@gt: if Prof. Asun is not around, I'll scribe. thanks..

<cgueret> hi there!

<gt> invite Zakim

<rreck> ouch

<MacTed> trackbot, start conference

<trackbot> Date: 15 September 2011

<rreck> seems like zakim could look at the channel he is in

<olyerickson> What's the SIP coe for tis?

<olyerickson> SIP code I mean

<sandro> rreck, pointer?

<scribe> Scribe: gatemezi

<gt> Proposed: Accept Minutes from 9/8

<sandro> gatemezi? you on call?

<rreck> +1 minutes

no.. @Sandro

<olyerickson> +1 to accept minutes

+1 minutes

<bhyland> +1 minutes

<BartvanLeeuwen> +1

<Yigal> +1 on minutes

<gsteeman> +1 minutes

<luisBermudez> +1

<cgueret> +1

<bhyland> resolved: accept minutes 18-9-2011

Action Review

<rreck> was rrsagent invites?

yes @rreck

<olyerickson> olyerickson was speaking before bhyland

<olyerickson> Welcome John Goodwin!

John Goodwin on Ordnance Survey

<olyerickson> http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk

<bhyland> Go to: http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/.html

John Goodwin UK Ordnance Survey use of Geo Vocabs

<bhyland> Ordnance Survey has a product Boundary Line that John Goodwin converted into Linked Data

<olyerickson> http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/doc/7000000000017711

<gt> http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/doc/7000000000017711

<gt> http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ontology/spatialrelations/touches

<DruidSmith> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DE-9IM

<olyerickson> http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ontology/spatialrelations/contains

<gt> http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ontology/spatialrelations.owl

<gt> shoutout to Luis!

<bhyland> Superceded by Open Spatial Consortium, led by Oracle, to provide a standardized way to provide topological relations.

<bhyland> The ontology constructured by the OSC looks largely like what John envisioned.

@John: Is he involve in the NeoGeo Vocab (http://geovocab.org/doc/neogeo.html)?

sorry: http://geovocab.org/doc/neogeo.html

<bhyland> W3C has done work in encoding detailed geometries. More advanced work done currently.

<gt> http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/doc/geometry/64470.rdf

<bhyland> @gatemezi are you back & scribing again?

<olyerickson> http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/doc/7000000000017711.rdf

@bhyland: I was the alternate scribe for today...

<gt> http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ontology/geometry/asGML

<bhyland> @gatemezi but you are listed as the scribe … we thought we lost you and I jumped in to help. But if you're back, I'll turn over to you.

I was always here :-)

<bhyland> ok

<bhyland> JohnSheridan: Hoping the GeoSPARQL will be become the standard.

<hadleybeeman> John- I'm sorry I'm coming in late, but can we have an offline conversation about adoption in UK gov?

<gt> ack: bhyland

<bhyland> John Sheridan: Project lifecycle for the OS project - started circa 2003, initially studied the standards, looked in OWL. Circa 2008, created the first prototype product.

<bhyland> John Sheridan: The product was not Open Data & free, it was a for-revenue product sold. It was all done by John in-house at the time. Used ARC GIS, Oracle Spatial. Run scripts on GIS DB to understand boundaries.

<bhyland> John Sheridan: UK Administrative geography is very complicated. But with some simple SQL queries, he explored the data. Used Python to parse query results to generate nTriples. That summarized the "production process." It was research quality code … queries + scripts.

<gt> @ bernadette - you mean John Goodwin

<bhyland> John Goodwin: In 2010, Ordnance Survey legislatively required to make this info available for free as Open Gov't data.

<bhyland> doh! sorry!

<bhyland> Very sorry John!

@gt don't really understand the question

<rreck> was there a deliberate choice to use within/contains instead of skos:NT and skos:BT?

<bhyland> John Goodwin: Talis hosting Linked Data and did conversion work.

@gt - I'll try :)

<bhyland> John Goodwin: Spatial info well suited for semantic expressiveness. Ripe for inference.

<rreck> I understand your answer, thanks.

<luisBermudez> http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/requests/80

<bhyland> LuisBermudez: Question about GeoSPARQL, public comments cycle closed end of July 2011. Next meeting in Boulder CO, draft will be voted

<rreck> John Goodwin: the semantics of within/contains are better suited to the GIS needs and have a more precise semantics than SKOS BT/NT

<bhyland> John Goodwin: Discussion he raised re: geometries be stored in graph as polygon statement or as literal triple …

<bhyland> John Goodwin: UK Location Programme, http://location.defra.gov.uk

<bhyland> "UK Location is a UK pan-government initiative to improve the sharing and re-use of public sector location information.  Established following the publication of the http://location.defra.gov.uk/programme/uk-location-strategy/, it incorporates the implementation of the strategy and the http://eur-lex.europa.eu/JOHtml.do?uri=OJ:L:2007:108:SOM:EN:HTML Directive. "

Bernard Vatant - LOV

<gt> cgueret yes?

<BernardVatant> http://datalift.org/

<cgueret> gt ?

<john> hadley - happy to catch up offline

<cgueret> nope

<hadleybeeman> john - good plan. :)

<BernardVatant> http://labs.mondeca.com/dataset/lov/

Linked Open Vocabularies (LOV), see http://labs.mondeca.com/dataset/lov/index.html

<john> spatial rels: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ontology/spatialrelations.owl

<bhyland> "The http://labs.mondeca.com/dataset/lov/lov.rdf contains the description of RDFS vocabularies or OWL ontologies defined for and used by datasets in the http://linkeddata.org/. Whenever available each vocabulary includes references to the datasets using it, in particular those listed in http://ckan.net/group/lodcloud. The descriptions use in particular the http://labs.mondeca.com/vocab/voaf to state different ways such vocabularies can rely on, extend, specify

<gt> wip - vocab usage stats

<bhyland> Bernard: Ongoing work to extend the dataset with usage

how do you maintain the vocabs URIs and version?

<cgueret> @BernardVatant: would be nice to have your site at lov-cloud.net, to go in // with lod-cloud.net ;-)

<bhyland> Bernard: The core of the LOV dataset was produced from background knowledge of the domain. Extended via a "follow your nose" investigation.

<bhyland> Bernard: Systematic investigation of dataset on CKAN.

<olyerickson> People should note that the LOV graphic is browseable...

<bhyland> Good feedback from the community … how about adding a given dataset to LOV. Mailing lists & twitter also a source of updates.

<annew> a fishbot heard around the world...

<bhyland> Bernard: Thus, combo of human survey + automatic survey, more automation will be added over time. Target audience of this resource are vocab consumers & curators.

<john> apologies on the fishbot - new to irc!

@Bernard: what about media or sport vocabs?

<BernardVatant> inria

<bhyland> Bernard: It is a research project financed by INRIA.

<bhyland> "The National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language: Institut national de recherche en informatique et en automatique, ANR) is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France national research institution focusing on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_mathematics."

<gsteeman> Have to drop off now

<cgueret> bhyland: I think it's financed by the ANR

<bhyland> GT: Question - are you aware of any gov't catalog sites?

<cgueret> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agence_nationale_de_la_recherche

<cgueret> ANR = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agence_Nationale_de_la_Recherche

<cgueret> @bhyland sorry

<olyerickson> yes

<bhyland> GT: Wondering what gov'ts should be doing, to get a vocabulary listing of vocabularies used for Gov't Linked Data ...

<bhyland> similar to how LOV created a description of RDFS vocabs and OWL ontologies used on the LOD cloud.

<bhyland> olyercikson: LOV is a good metaphor for how gov'ts could see how vocabularies are used & can be augmented.

<Mike> Having difficulty hearing the speaker

<rreck> the conference call audio seems to be breaking up for me

<boris> q

<rreck> My friend is an Illinois government CIO charged with the open data initiative. Can anyone tell me how that intersects GLD?

<bhyland> I would generally ask that people consider increased engagement in the deliverables. We've been underway for 3+ mos and we have some draft deliverables due in December so we need to increased involvement.

<gt> boris to scribe next gld telecon - thanks boris!

<gt> boris suggests agenda item - multi-lingual expert

<bhyland> @Boris - please email gldchairs so we can schedule accordingly.

<john> advanced apologies for next week. Will be in Luxembourg/EU

<gt> q/

<bhyland> thanks again John *Goodwin* and Bernard, very informative.

<olyerickson> Have a GREAT one!@

<BernardVatant> thanks all for your attention

<cgueret> bye

<rreck> thanks

<BartvanLeeuwen> bye

<BernardVatant> bye

<annew> byebye

<bhyland> @gt, I'll do a global search & replace for "Sheridan" to "Goodwin", sorry about that!

hope it will work:-)

<gt> it should - we'll check it :)

<rreck> which deliverable needs the most help?

<gt> @rreck - imho, the community directory and the cookbook are the farthest along

<rreck> gt: can you tell me the relationship between GLD and "the open data initiative"?

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/09/15 15:05:10 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/John Sheridan/John Goodwin/
Succeeded: s/INRIA/ANR/
Found Scribe: gatemezi
Inferring ScribeNick: gatemezi

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: BartvanLeeuwen Bernard BernardVatant Cory Cory-c DruidSmith GT George_Thomas JohnSheridan MacTed Mike P26 P30 P33 P34 P42 PY_Vandenbussche Proposed TinaGheen Yigal aaaa aabb aacc aadd aaee aaff aagg aahh aaii aajj aakk ack annew bhyland boris cgueret danbri gatemezi gld gsteeman hadleybeeman john joined luisBermudez olyercikson olyerickson py rreck sandro sorry trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.09.15
Found Date: 15 Sep 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/09/15-gld-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]