IRC log of mediafrag on 2011-09-07

Timestamps are in UTC.

09:01:35 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #mediafrag
09:01:35 [RRSAgent]
logging to
09:01:37 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
09:01:37 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #mediafrag
09:01:39 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be IA_MFWG
09:01:39 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
09:01:40 [trackbot]
Meeting: Media Fragments Working Group Teleconference
09:01:40 [trackbot]
Date: 07 September 2011
09:02:54 [Zakim]
ok, Yves; conference Team_(Mediafrag)09:02Z scheduled with code 26632 (CONF2) for 60 minutes until 1002Z
09:03:53 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate raphael
09:04:01 [Zakim]
Team_(Mediafrag)09:02Z has now started
09:04:09 [Zakim]
+ +
09:04:17 [raphael]
Chair: Rapael
09:04:25 [raphael]
09:04:41 [raphael]
Regrets: Erik, Davy
09:04:47 [raphael]
Scribe: raphael
09:04:52 [silvia]
silvia has joined #mediafrag
09:05:15 [raphael]
oups :-)
09:05:48 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate raphael
09:05:48 [Zakim]
09:08:39 [Zakim]
+ +28012aabb
09:08:51 [silvia]
zakim, aabb is me
09:08:51 [Zakim]
+silvia; got it
09:09:00 [Zakim]
+ +1.404.978.aacc
09:09:24 [raphael]
Topic: 1. ADMIN
09:09:39 [raphael]
Yves will book zakim again until the end of the year
09:11:00 [raphael]
Yves: I would like that the features at risk is explicit in the status section of the document
09:11:12 [raphael]
... in particular the entire section on which the group votes for keeping it or not
09:11:20 [raphael]
PROPOSED to accept the minutes of the last telecon:
09:11:25 [tomayac]
09:11:27 [raphael]
09:11:28 [silvia]
09:11:29 [Yves]
09:11:32 [raphael]
minutes accepted
09:11:40 [raphael]
Topic: 2. SPEC
09:11:47 [raphael]
09:11:47 [trackbot]
ACTION-234 -- Thomas Steiner to review the "Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures" IETF draft -- due 2011-08-25 -- OPEN
09:11:47 [trackbot]
09:12:10 [raphael]
09:12:43 [raphael]
Raphael: Thomas, could you send this review to IETF on behalf of the group
09:12:50 [tomayac]
sure, will do
09:12:57 [raphael]
close ACTION-234
09:12:57 [trackbot]
ACTION-234 Review the "Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures" IETF draft closed
09:13:03 [raphael]
09:13:03 [trackbot]
ACTION-231 -- Yves Lafon to check if his grammar is in synch with the latest version of the spec -- due 2011-07-13 -- OPEN
09:13:03 [trackbot]
09:13:43 [raphael]
Yves: will do it in 2 weeks
09:14:01 [raphael]
09:14:22 [raphael]
Raphael: we have the nightlies of Firefox
09:14:33 [raphael]
... we have a version of Opera but who has tested it?
09:14:54 [raphael]
... @foolip, how can we download a nightly to test your implementation?
09:14:58 [silvia]
I didn't see it … sorry
09:15:04 [raphael]
close ACTION-227
09:15:05 [trackbot]
ACTION-227 Announce a link to a nightly implementing part of the media fragment spec closed
09:15:21 [foolip]
There is no nightly, only the build I made at OVC last year
09:15:39 [raphael]
09:15:39 [trackbot]
ACTION-228 -- Thomas Steiner to develop the validator page using his js library for media fragments -- due 2011-07-20 -- OPEN
09:15:39 [trackbot]
09:16:01 [silvia]
@foolip: is it in the main trunk and will it become part of a release or are there no plans?
09:16:27 [foolip]
it's on a branch, there are no immediate plans to do anything with it
09:17:07 [raphael]
@foolip do you think you can made another build and share it with the group?
09:17:45 [raphael]
Thomas: I have filled a entry for Chromium to get Media Frag implemented
09:17:52 [tomayac]
09:18:03 [raphael]
... I will look internally who is the best person to lobby
09:19:12 [foolip]
raphael, that would be a fair amount of work (making a proper desktop build), would it be valuable?
09:19:44 [tomayac]
user script à la greasemonkey
09:19:53 [raphael]
Thomas: I plan to turn my js library in a GreaseMonkey script that would make some browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari?) natively supporting media fragment
09:20:27 [raphael]
@foolip we need to generate test report of existing implementations, so we will need to have some frozen versions at some point
09:20:42 [raphael]
... I understand that generating builds for multiple OS is a great amount of work
09:20:48 [raphael]
... how can we help?
09:21:01 [raphael]
... what is the plan of Opera to include it in the main trunk at some point?
09:21:03 [foolip]
ok, for those purposes I think we can consider Opera's implementation to be non-existent for the time being
09:21:17 [foolip]
and update it when there is an implementation released on the normal path
09:21:20 [silvia]
zakim, mute me
09:21:20 [Zakim]
silvia should now be muted
09:21:46 [foolip]
if we don't go through proper integration, I can't get proper testing, so the results would reflect badly on us, most likely
09:22:38 [raphael]
ok foolip, and you have a schedule plan for proper integration?
09:22:52 [raphael]
Thomas: I will think more about the GreaseMonkey script
09:23:12 [raphael]
Topic: 4. HTML5 Bugs
09:23:18 [raphael]
09:23:45 [foolip]
raphael, I'll be honest and say that MF is pretty far down the priority list for <video>, after things like <track>, WebRTC, adaptive streaming, multitrack and Audio API
09:24:28 [raphael]
Raphael: I will re-open this bug
09:24:35 [foolip]
We won't be taking the lead here, like I had initially hoped.
09:24:37 [raphael]
... based on Chris nightly implementation
09:25:59 [raphael]
Topic: 5. AOB
09:26:14 [silvia]
zakim, unmute me
09:26:14 [Zakim]
silvia should no longer be muted
09:26:26 [raphael]
Raphael: the main point of discussion now should be complete the test cases review and mainly generate test cases report
09:26:46 [raphael]
... so that we can see what is well implemented
09:26:59 [raphael]
Silvia: we need now nice web page and applications that use media fragments
09:27:26 [raphael]
... liaise with video sharing platform?
09:27:46 [raphael]
Thomas: I have an application accepted at the DeRiVE workshop
09:27:55 [raphael]
... that detects events in videos
09:28:21 [raphael]
... Raphael and me can brainstorm on a web site that showcase media fragment implementations
09:28:42 [raphael]
... including good and cool web sites
09:29:21 [raphael]
... People seem to focus on the temporal aspect only of the spec
09:29:30 [raphael]
... should we be worried?
09:29:43 [raphael]
... should we ultimately split the spec into temporal aspects vs other aspectS?
09:30:12 [raphael]
Yves: I think you have a good point
09:30:27 [raphael]
... CSS is very keen to use Media Fragments for slicing
09:30:34 [silvia]
zakim, mute me
09:30:34 [Zakim]
silvia should now be muted
09:30:34 [raphael]
... we should focus on this part as well
09:31:31 [raphael]
... perhaps discuss with David Baron for Mozilla, ask Philip for Opera ... or ask Bert from W3C
09:33:05 [silvia]
zakim, unmute me
09:33:05 [Zakim]
silvia should no longer be muted
09:33:51 [raphael]
Yves: if we have multiple partial implementations that all together cover the whole spec, this is fine if the group decides so
09:34:08 [raphael]
... for an audio client, this makes no sense to implement the spatial visual part
09:34:28 [raphael]
Silvia: do we expect a browser to implement the whole spec or only some features?
09:34:35 [raphael]
... I think we should look for features
09:34:40 [raphael]
Raphael: +1!
09:34:52 [tomayac]
+1, silvia
09:35:06 [silvia]
zakim, mute me
09:35:06 [Zakim]
silvia should now be muted
09:35:11 [raphael]
Silvia: we need e.g. 2 different implementations for the temporal features
09:35:59 [raphael]
Raphael: other things you would like to discuss
09:36:11 [silvia]
zakim, unmute me
09:36:11 [Zakim]
silvia should no longer be muted
09:36:19 [Zakim]
09:36:30 [Zakim]
09:36:31 [raphael]
Silvia: I will publicize Media Fragments at OVC
09:36:32 [Zakim]
09:36:33 [Zakim]
09:36:34 [Zakim]
Team_(Mediafrag)09:02Z has ended
09:36:35 [Zakim]
Attendees were +, raphael, Yves, +28012aabb, silvia, +1.404.978.aacc, Thomas
09:36:36 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate raphael
09:37:34 [raphael]
ScribeOptions: -final -noEmbedDiagnostics
09:37:36 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate raphael
12:00:43 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #mediafrag
13:09:49 [raphael]
RRSAgent, bye
13:09:49 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items