IRC log of fx on 2011-07-11

Timestamps are in UTC.

20:00:14 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #fx
20:00:14 [RRSAgent]
logging to
20:00:16 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
20:00:16 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #fx
20:00:18 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 3983
20:00:18 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see GA_FXTF()4:00PM scheduled to start now
20:00:19 [trackbot]
Meeting: CSS-SVG Task Force Teleconference
20:00:19 [trackbot]
Date: 11 July 2011
20:00:51 [vhardy]
vhardy has joined #fx
20:02:55 [ed]
20:03:09 [shepazu]
Zakim, code?
20:03:09 [Zakim]
the conference code is 3983 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+ tel:+44.203.318.0479), shepazu
20:03:14 [ed]
Zakim, who's here?
20:03:14 [Zakim]
GA_FXTF()4:00PM has not yet started, ed
20:03:16 [Zakim]
On IRC I see vhardy, Zakim, RRSAgent, fantasai, dbaron, heycam|away, shepazu, plinss, TabAtkins, ed, CSSWG_LogBot, trackbot, hober
20:03:16 [hober]
Zakim, Apple has hober
20:03:16 [Zakim]
sorry, hober, I do not recognize a party named 'Apple'
20:03:33 [hober]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
20:03:34 [Zakim]
GA_FXTF()4:00PM has not yet started, hober
20:03:35 [Zakim]
On IRC I see vhardy, Zakim, RRSAgent, fantasai, dbaron, heycam|away, shepazu, plinss, TabAtkins, ed, CSSWG_LogBot, trackbot, hober
20:04:16 [ed]
Present+ ed, hober
20:05:37 [ChrisL]
ChrisL has joined #fx
20:05:55 [hober]
Present+ smfr
20:06:50 [ed]
Present+ doug, chris
20:07:38 [ChrisL]
scribenick: ChrisL
20:07:55 [ed]
20:08:01 [ChrisL]
rrsagent, here
20:08:01 [RRSAgent]
20:08:19 [ChrisL]
ed: main topic is f2fagenda
20:08:31 [ChrisL]
20:09:14 [ChrisL]
ed: first, animation module. mainly extension o apply to svg
20:09:20 [ChrisL]
... any other aspects?
20:09:46 [ChrisL]
... talk of animation apis, is that ready for discussion
20:10:04 [ChrisL]
smfr: dean not on the call but has been working on it
20:10:10 [ChrisL]
... please add to agenda
20:11:07 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: maybe an implementation roundup for that spec
20:11:31 [ChrisL]
smfr:also the interaction with smil-based animation, and timing issues, timebase, etc
20:11:58 [ChrisL]
smfr: also requestAnimationFrame API
20:12:21 [TabAtkins_]
TabAtkins_ has joined #fx
20:13:05 [ChrisL]
have people seen the inria work on timesheets in js with html5 and svg
20:13:06 [ChrisL]
20:13:13 [ed]
Present+ Tab
20:13:48 [ChrisL]
ed: next is svg paint in css generated images
20:14:07 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: tab you will be there?
20:14:10 [ChrisL]
tab: yes
20:14:31 [ChrisL]
ed: can you prepare a wiki page describing this, or a link to a proposal, for the meeting?
20:14:51 [ChrisL]
tab: sure will send link later today ... wait 2 weeks ago. dean responded
20:15:02 [ChrisL]
shepazu; saw that, good idea
20:15:19 [ChrisL]
tab: wil ladd to spec after wd is published
20:15:34 [ChrisL]
fantasai; its already copied to /TR so start editing the ED
20:16:09 [ChrisL]
ed: next is filter effects, dino and i working on this. one thing is defining hit testng
20:16:18 [ChrisL]
... pointer events mostly
20:16:30 [ChrisL]
... also the enable-background possible deprecation
20:16:45 [ChrisL]
... will update spec to 1.1se before meeting, also some new things
20:17:03 [ChrisL]
... these topics came up before
20:18:13 [ChrisL]
ChrisL; with feDisplace it makes a big difference and people will be surprised
20:18:46 [ChrisL]
shepazu; there was mention of an opacity filter for pointer events. some maths discussions but its interesting
20:19:02 [ChrisL]
smfr; seems like we should talk about this at f2f
20:19:34 [ChrisL]
ed; doug maybe we can collect info on a wiki page for that agenda item
20:19:59 [ChrisL]
shepazu; happy to write up a strawman spec text. not seen input from tantek on that
20:20:14 [ChrisL]
... it affects css3 ui
20:20:24 [fantasai]
20:20:32 [ChrisL]
ed: next topic is extending svg compositing to css
20:20:47 [ed]
20:21:02 [ChrisL]
tab: not sure on technical side but it seems readsonable. want to see how it would be used in css.
20:21:17 [ChrisL]
... not sure how its would be used in html/css
20:22:07 [TabAtkins_]
tab: It seems very sensitive to the order of elements in the DOM, which may be troublesome when used with HTML, but then it might be okay, based on use-cases.
20:22:32 [ChrisL]
ed: ast item is fx transforms, which covers 2d transforms
20:23:09 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: status of 3d transforms wrt that?
20:23:30 [ChrisL]
smfr: vincent was asking for that. 3d tx is laid ontop of 2d so they need to be kept in sync
20:23:54 [ChrisL]
... reason we had sepeaate specs was that we assumed 2d would be implemented more quickly, which happened
20:24:24 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: is the sync automatic or does it need work
20:24:29 [ChrisL]
smfr: needs work
20:24:50 [ChrisL]
... 2d shoudl lay groundwork for 3d
20:25:00 [ChrisL]
ed: so from that list, anything missing?
20:27:04 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: 'restricted text' (CGM) replacement for SVG, is there something from css we can use there?
20:27:14 [fantasai]
20:27:29 [ChrisL]
smfr: maybe we can get a solution for single line cases. css is the place for it. multiline is complicated
20:27:38 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: maybe copyfir from gcpm?
20:27:44 [hober]
20:27:45 [ChrisL]
20:28:45 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: will write it up before the f2f
20:29:25 [ChrisL]
ed; parameters is not on the list of topics. room for discussion there?
20:29:44 [ChrisL]
smfr: is that svg specific?
20:29:49 [ChrisL]
ed: that is the question
20:30:03 [ChrisL]
... css3 images has a way to reference parts of images
20:30:13 [ChrisL]
tab; which we get from media fragments
20:30:51 [ChrisL]
smfr; maybe talk about media fragments. can also select part of n html document. somene suggested an id to a fragment ....
20:31:02 [ChrisL]
tab; background-image-frame
20:31:19 [ChrisL]
... ie9 has multiple viewbox id support
20:31:26 [ChrisL]
shepazu; link?
20:31:26 [hober]
20:31:36 [TabAtkins_]
20:32:31 [ChrisL]
ed; for svg params, other params as well as viewBox. not clear if its useful outside of svg
20:32:47 [ChrisL]
tab: there is intereting overlap, like the elem function in css3 images
20:32:51 [dbaron]
is there any filter stuff that should be on the f2f agenda?
20:33:00 [ChrisL]
dnaron, yes
20:34:08 [ChrisL]
ed: in coming week, we wil settle the fx day agenda and get some writeups on thew wiki. send details to fx mail list or add it to the wiki
20:34:29 [ChrisL]
smfr; location of fx meeting?
20:34:42 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: same as css, microsoft confirmed they would host
20:35:03 [ChrisL]
ed: also to confirm the dte since that came up recenltly. tues 26 july
20:35:15 [ChrisL]
ed: any other topics? or end early
20:36:05 [ChrisL]
shepazu; on params, we want ot be compatible with css and there were so many svg use cases so the syntax ... ebecauseoof thedifferent use cases, is there overlap.
20:36:27 [ChrisL]
tab; so its acessed how do i use it as a css background
20:36:37 [ChrisL]
shepazu; any url syntax so works anywhere
20:36:59 [ChrisL]
... passing in keyword parameters via the url
20:37:17 [ChrisL]
... we should talk about it but css is only affected indirectly
20:37:28 [ChrisL]
... what about passing parameters *to* css
20:37:45 [ChrisL]
tab; ties into the variables spec. will be writing up that now. good to coordinate there
20:38:09 [ChrisL]
shepazu: different use cases bt the more similarity in features the better. maybe a telcon about that
20:38:12 [ChrisL]
tab; cool
20:38:28 [ChrisL]
ed: any other business?
20:38:38 [ChrisL]
rrsagent, list attendees?
20:38:38 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. Sorry, nothing found for 'list attendees'
20:38:50 [ChrisL]
zakim, list attendees?
20:38:50 [Zakim]
I don't understand your question, ChrisL.
20:39:03 [ChrisL]
ed: so unless any urgent business next meeting is f2f
20:39:08 [ChrisL]
zakim, list attendees
20:39:08 [Zakim]
sorry, ChrisL, I don't know what conference this is
20:39:14 [ChrisL]
zakim you suck
20:39:55 [ChrisL]
Present: Erik, Simin, dhober, fantasai, tab, Chris, dbaron
20:40:06 [ChrisL]
rrsagent, make minutes
20:40:06 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate ChrisL
20:40:32 [ChrisL]
20:40:48 [ChrisL]
Chair: Erik
20:41:10 [ChrisL]
20:41:14 [ChrisL]
rrsagent, make minutes
20:41:14 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate ChrisL
20:41:15 [hober]
20:41:26 [ChrisL]
rrsagent, make minutes
20:41:26 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate ChrisL
20:42:14 [ChrisL]
Present: Erik, Simon, dhober, fantasai, tab, Chris, dbaron, Doug
20:42:22 [ChrisL]
Present: Erik, Simon, hober, fantasai, tab, Chris, dbaron, Doug
20:42:26 [ChrisL]
rrsagent, make minutes
20:42:26 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate ChrisL
20:49:59 [ChrisL]
Regrets: dino, vincent
20:50:05 [ChrisL]
rrsagent, make minutes
20:50:05 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate ChrisL