IRC log of lld on 2011-07-07

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:48:00 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #lld
13:48:00 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-irc
13:48:09 [emma]
zakim, this will be LLD
13:48:09 [Zakim]
ok, emma; I see INC_LLDXG()10:00AM scheduled to start in 12 minutes
13:48:56 [emma]
Meeting: LLD XG
13:50:12 [emma]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jul/0002.html
13:50:31 [emma]
Previous: 2011-06-30 http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html
13:51:37 [emma]
Chair: Emma
13:51:48 [emma]
rrsagent, please bookmark
13:51:48 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'please bookmark', emma. Try /msg RRSAgent help
13:51:58 [emma]
rrsagent, bookmark
13:51:58 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-irc#T13-51-58
13:52:10 [emma]
rrsagent, please draft minutes
13:52:10 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html emma
13:52:22 [emma]
rrsagent, please make record public
13:53:31 [emma]
Regrets: Tom, Jodi, Lars, Uldi, Jeff, Monica
13:53:47 [emma]
s/Uldi/Uldis
13:54:04 [AlexanderH]
AlexanderH has joined #lld
13:56:13 [AlexanderH]
Hi Emma, I only can follow via IRC today
13:56:33 [emma]
Hi Alex, thanks for being online anyway !
13:57:18 [emma]
rrsagent, please draft minutes
13:57:18 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html emma
13:57:28 [Zakim]
INC_LLDXG()10:00AM has now started
13:57:36 [Zakim]
+emma
13:59:23 [pmurray]
pmurray has joined #lld
13:59:49 [lai]
lai has joined #lld
13:59:54 [Zakim]
+ +1.678.235.aaaa
14:00:00 [pmurray]
zakim, aaaa is me
14:00:00 [Zakim]
+pmurray; got it
14:00:10 [pmurray]
zakim, mute me
14:00:10 [Zakim]
pmurray should now be muted
14:00:16 [Zakim]
+AZ
14:00:20 [kcoyle]
kcoyle has joined #lld
14:00:24 [lai]
zakim, AZ is me.
14:00:24 [Zakim]
+lai; got it
14:00:52 [antoine]
antoine has joined #lld
14:01:03 [lai]
hmm, a typo in my name ;-)
14:01:12 [digikim_]
digikim_ has joined #lld
14:01:22 [Zakim]
+??P31
14:01:26 [digikim_]
ARGH... how can it be that skype always wants to install something when I'm in a hurry
14:01:36 [Zakim]
+??P30
14:01:37 [ed_]
ed_ has joined #lld
14:01:42 [emma]
zakim, zakim, ??P31 is kcoylme
14:01:50 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'zakim, ??P31 is kcoylme', emma
14:01:50 [antoine]
zakim, ??P30 is me
14:02:00 [Zakim]
+antoine; got it
14:02:04 [antoine]
rrsagent, please draft minutes
14:02:04 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html antoine
14:02:05 [emma]
zakim, ??P31 is kcoyle
14:02:22 [Zakim]
+kcoyle; got it
14:02:40 [kai]
@digikim: Dialing in with google talk is for free and works very good
14:02:46 [Zakim]
+[LC]
14:02:49 [edsu]
zakim, [lc] is edsu
14:03:01 [jeff_]
jeff_ has joined #lld
14:03:22 [emma]
regrets+: ross
14:03:23 [Zakim]
+edsu; got it
14:04:11 [dvilasuero]
dvilasuero has joined #lld
14:04:12 [Zakim]
+ +49.4.aabb
14:04:12 [jneubert]
jneubert has joined #lld
14:04:37 [emma]
zakim, aabb is jneubert
14:04:40 [Zakim]
+??P48
14:04:46 [digikim_]
zakim, ??P48 is digikim
14:04:54 [Zakim]
+jneubert; got it
14:05:03 [Zakim]
+digikim; got it
14:05:07 [dvilasuero]
Hi, again having problems with my ip call
14:06:21 [Zakim]
+??P51
14:07:11 [dvilasuero]
thanks antoine
14:07:16 [dvilasuero]
zakim, mute me
14:07:16 [Zakim]
dvilasuero should now be muted
14:07:21 [antoine]
Scribe: Karen
14:07:28 [antoine]
Scribenick: kcoyle
14:08:12 [kcoyle]
Topic: Admin minutes of previous telecon
14:08:12 [emma]
Chair: Antoine
14:08:20 [kcoyle]
resolved: accept minutes of previous teleconference
14:08:53 [kcoyle]
No call next week; next call 21 July
14:09:09 [kcoyle]
topic: final report
14:09:35 [antoine]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dissemination_Lists
14:09:51 [kcoyle]
calls have been sent to most/all lists in link
14:10:10 [kcoyle]
digress.it plugin is installed, there are a few issues connecting
14:10:21 [kefo]
kefo has joined #lld
14:10:28 [Zakim]
+[LC]
14:10:28 [kefo]
zakim, LC is me
14:10:32 [Zakim]
+kefo; got it
14:10:37 [kefo]
zakim, mute me please
14:10:43 [Zakim]
kefo should now be muted
14:11:10 [antoine]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAssignments
14:11:19 [kcoyle]
keeping track of comments and reviews
14:12:01 [kcoyle]
volunteers are keeping track of comments on the page
14:12:22 [kcoyle]
ACTION: Monica to keep track of comments between July 1 and July 8
14:12:25 [kcoyle]
-- DONE
14:12:42 [edsu]
nice work on the blog btw, http://blogs.ukoln.ac.uk/w3clld/, i totally missed that it got done
14:12:56 [kcoyle]
Next, kcoyle for the next week, and then Jeff for the following week
14:13:12 [dvilasuero]
zakim, +q
14:13:12 [Zakim]
I see dvilasuero on the speaker queue
14:13:20 [dvilasuero]
zakim, unmute me
14:13:20 [Zakim]
dvilasuero should no longer be muted
14:13:49 [kcoyle]
ACTION: Daniel to keep track of comments from July 23-July 30
14:13:50 [dvilasuero]
zakim, mute me
14:13:50 [Zakim]
dvilasuero should now be muted
14:16:12 [emma]
Kcoyle: section "scope of this report not commented"
14:16:29 [edsu]
kcoyle: i don't recall comments about that, other than we should be talking about memory institutions and not cultural institutions, which should be included in the scope
14:16:35 [emma]
... need to take into account general comments
14:16:40 [kcoyle]
There has been a comment that we should use 'memory institutions' rather than 'cultural institutions'
14:17:14 [edsu]
antoine: do you think we need to mention non-rdf linked data?
14:17:24 [antoine]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits#.22Library_Linked_Data.22:_Scope_of_this_report
14:17:37 [edsu]
kcoyle: i think we could say it *generally* uses rdf, rather than it *does* use rdf
14:17:45 [edsu]
antoine: ok, i think that was included
14:18:57 [edsu]
kcoyle: we could say library linked data is any library data that is expressed as linked data
14:19:06 [emma]
+1
14:19:13 [dvilasuero]
+1
14:19:23 [edsu]
antoine: perhaps nuancing the rdf stuff, or removing it all together
14:19:32 [edsu]
kcoyle: yeah, i can fit that in there
14:19:39 [kcoyle]
... LLD = any library data expressed as linked data
14:19:46 [emma]
q+
14:19:56 [antoine]
zakim, ack emma
14:19:56 [Zakim]
I see dvilasuero on the speaker queue
14:19:56 [dvilasuero]
zakim, q-
14:19:57 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
14:20:54 [emma]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0085.html
14:22:08 [kcoyle]
mentions research use of data
14:22:12 [kcoyle]
q+
14:22:35 [edsu]
kcoyle: this is the type of use case that makes me uneasy about using 'memory institutions'
14:22:40 [antoine]
q+
14:23:00 [emma]
Dikson's review proposes a specific use case on researchers publishing their data and model as well as their papers
14:23:13 [edsu]
kcoyle: the emphasis is on keeping an archive, whereas current uses seem to be really important ... not so much about access to archives
14:23:44 [emma]
I'm wondering if it fits in "benefits" or elsewhere in the report
14:23:51 [edsu]
antoine: perhaps if we just say they are sometimes called 'memory institutions' that will do the trick
14:24:11 [edsu]
kcoyle: they 'function' as memory institions, but that's not all they do
14:24:15 [kcoyle]
emma: cultural organization is more neutral and broader; memory institution seems limited to archiving
14:24:23 [Zakim]
-pmurray
14:24:40 [kai]
+1 for cultural institution
14:24:41 [dvilasuero]
+1 kcoyle they could function as memory institutions
14:24:47 [antoine]
+1 for cultural
14:24:51 [kcoyle]
emma: include definition of memory and cultural in the scope statement
14:25:09 [emma]
+1 for cultural, could function as memory institutions
14:25:20 [edsu]
q+
14:25:30 [antoine]
zakim, ack edsu
14:25:30 [Zakim]
I see kcoyle, antoine on the speaker queue
14:26:09 [kcoyle]
edsu: memory institution is more inclusive of the sciences; cultural feels more like history, literature, art (humanities)
14:26:09 [dvilasuero]
+1 edsu, memory is more inclusive
14:26:17 [kcoyle]
edsu: there is also short-term memory
14:27:14 [kai]
we should define it anyway. cultural could also be something like theatre. memory is only one aspect for me, access would be another.
14:27:15 [kcoyle]
antoine: define them together in scope
14:27:42 [emma]
I just recorded a comment on the blog ;-)
14:27:56 [emma]
will need to be turned into a sentence
14:28:05 [kcoyle]
i can try to write a sentence
14:28:25 [emma]
ok
14:28:28 [kcoyle]
ok
14:29:04 [kcoyle]
ACTION: Karen and Emma to write a sentence adding cultural and memory institutions together in some way
14:29:32 [kcoyle]
Dickson's comment about using research data
14:29:38 [kcoyle]
q+
14:29:50 [antoine]
q-
14:30:13 [antoine]
zakim, ack kcoyle
14:30:13 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
14:31:33 [dvilasuero]
q+
14:31:57 [antoine]
zakim, ack dvilasuero
14:31:57 [Zakim]
unmuting dvilasuero
14:31:59 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
14:31:59 [dvilasuero]
zakim, unmute me
14:31:59 [Zakim]
dvilasuero was not muted, dvilasuero
14:32:04 [antoine]
q+
14:32:11 [dvilasuero]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Citation_of_Scientific_Datasets
14:32:20 [kcoyle]
daniel: there are some use cases talking about research and scientific data sets
14:33:09 [kcoyle]
antoine: issue of scope - not sure we should say that libraries should be curators of scientific data
14:33:21 [dvilasuero]
zakim, unmute me
14:33:21 [Zakim]
dvilasuero was not muted, dvilasuero
14:33:22 [emma]
q+
14:33:26 [dvilasuero]
zakim, mute me
14:33:26 [Zakim]
dvilasuero should now be muted
14:33:37 [antoine]
zakim, ack antoine
14:33:37 [Zakim]
I see emma on the speaker queue
14:33:48 [antoine]
zakim, ack emma
14:33:48 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
14:33:49 [kcoyle]
emma: this is a scope issue - it is a benefit of LLD to link to scientific and research data
14:33:50 [edsu]
emma: +1
14:34:17 [edsu]
i don't think libraries are the only players in library linked data
14:34:31 [kcoyle]
antoine: this makes a connection between libraries and research data, but doesn't say that libraries need to manage the data
14:34:40 [kcoyle]
emma: will add a sentence
14:35:35 [kcoyle]
antoine: and make a link to the citation use case; try to relate to use cases elsewhere also
14:35:37 [dvilasuero]
emma if you need a more comprehensive list of research data use cases just let me know
14:35:56 [kcoyle]
antoine: section on available vocabularies and data sets
14:36:36 [kcoyle]
antoine: some editorial comments have been received; also question of division between vocabularies and data sets
14:36:42 [kcoyle]
antoine: we already have discussed that
14:37:10 [kcoyle]
antoine: value vocabs are datasets with a specific function
14:37:18 [kcoyle]
q+
14:37:26 [antoine]
zakim, ack kcoyle
14:37:26 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
14:37:53 [edsu]
kcoyle: i think even we find this to be ambiguous, i thought that we covered it in our wording, but if we acknowledge there is ambiguity then I think that takes care of it
14:38:05 [kcoyle]
antoine: wording needs to be more explicit
14:38:54 [kcoyle]
antoine: we agree that the definitions are not fixed but may depend on context or use
14:39:44 [kcoyle]
relevant technologies section: Jeff has made changes based on Jon's comments
14:41:11 [kcoyle]
next: implementation challenges
14:43:45 [kcoyle]
both issues and recommendations sections will have many comments
14:45:02 [kcoyle]
ACTION: Karen will convene issues and recommendations group to identify things that need to be discussed with larger group for July 21 meeting
14:45:45 [kcoyle]
ACTION: Karen and Antoine to relate Library Data Resources and Library Standards and Linked data
14:45:50 [kcoyle]
-- ConTINues
14:46:44 [kcoyle]
ACTION: Tom to ask Dickson and Guenther if they could contribute curriculum issues to the Recommendations Section
14:46:48 [kcoyle]
--CONTINUES
14:47:13 [kcoyle]
next: separate deliverable on vocabularies and datasets
14:47:27 [kcoyle]
nothing new to discuss here
14:47:54 [dvilasuero]
zakim, unmute me
14:47:54 [Zakim]
dvilasuero should no longer be muted
14:47:56 [kcoyle]
next: use cases (Daniel)
14:48:24 [kcoyle]
daniel: adding comments to the clusters and use cases from discussions
14:48:34 [kcoyle]
antoine: use case owners should be able to help
14:49:21 [edsu]
kai: are you at the provenance f2f?
14:49:46 [kai]
edsu: unfortunately not
14:50:03 [edsu]
kai: i guess there's no mtg today?
14:50:21 [kcoyle]
dvilasuero: will create a new wiki page with links to use cases; this can go into the running agenda
14:50:40 [kai]
edsu: I don't think so
14:51:02 [kcoyle]
dvilasuero: could someone go through the report and give some feedback?
14:51:58 [emma]
I'd like to do it, but I'm not sure I'll make it by july 22
14:52:05 [kcoyle]
antoine: best not to wait until end of comment period -- there won't be much time to do the edits at that point
14:52:11 [kcoyle]
maybe ask on the list?
14:52:47 [emma]
ok so put me an action ;-)
14:52:52 [dvilasuero]
thanks, karen maybe I could ask more explictly as I have already done but in other review emails
14:53:49 [kcoyle]
ACTION: Emma to review use cases and make comments
14:54:01 [dvilasuero]
thanks a lot emma!!
14:54:15 [dvilasuero]
zakim, mute me
14:54:15 [Zakim]
dvilasuero should now be muted
14:54:50 [kcoyle]
kcoyle: executive summary?
14:55:45 [kcoyle]
antoine: no one yet assigned to work on this. Should be done at the very end
14:56:21 [kcoyle]
ACTION: chairs to send email to list asking for volunteers to write the executive summary
14:56:52 [digikim_]
thanks
14:56:56 [dvilasuero]
thanks!
14:57:03 [kefo]
bye
14:57:05 [dvilasuero]
bye
14:57:07 [Zakim]
-lai
14:57:08 [Zakim]
-edsu
14:57:10 [Zakim]
-digikim
14:57:11 [jneubert]
bye
14:57:14 [Zakim]
-dvilasuero
14:57:14 [antoine]
zakim, please list attendees
14:57:14 [kcoyle]
meeting adjourned
14:57:15 [Zakim]
As of this point the attendees have been emma, +1.678.235.aaaa, pmurray, lai, antoine, kcoyle, edsu, +49.4.aabb, jneubert, digikim, dvilasuero, kefo
14:57:20 [Zakim]
-jneubert
14:57:21 [Zakim]
-kefo
14:57:25 [antoine]
rrsagent, please draft minutes
14:57:25 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html antoine
14:57:25 [emma]
rrsagent, please draft minutes
14:57:25 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html emma
14:59:07 [Zakim]
-kcoyle
14:59:10 [Zakim]
-emma
14:59:17 [Zakim]
-antoine
14:59:18 [Zakim]
INC_LLDXG()10:00AM has ended
14:59:20 [antoine]
zakim, bye
14:59:20 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #lld
14:59:25 [antoine]
rrsagent, bye
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
I see 8 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-actions.rdf :
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Monica to keep track of comments between July 1 and July 8 [1]
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-irc#T14-12-22
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Daniel to keep track of comments from July 23-July 30 [2]
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-irc#T14-13-49
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Karen and Emma to write a sentence adding cultural and memory institutions together in some way [3]
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-irc#T14-29-04
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Karen will convene issues and recommendations group to identify things that need to be discussed with larger group for July 21 meeting [4]
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-irc#T14-45-02
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Karen and Antoine to relate Library Data Resources and Library Standards and Linked data [5]
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-irc#T14-45-45
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Tom to ask Dickson and Guenther if they could contribute curriculum issues to the Recommendations Section [6]
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-irc#T14-46-44
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Emma to review use cases and make comments [7]
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-irc#T14-53-49
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: chairs to send email to list asking for volunteers to write the executive summary [8]
14:59:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-irc#T14-56-21