07 Jul 2011


See also: IRC log


Raphael, Bernardette, DavidWood, HadleyBeeman, Richard


<Simpson_2> I was about to ask

<Simpson_2> hi all

<sandro> bhyland, did you catch that? raphael is willing to scribe today, if you don't have a scribe yet.

<sandro> Indeed, I'm sure others will be clamoring for the honor. :-)

<bhyland> great, thank you Rafael. We plan to have alternating chairs, and revolving scribes. See http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Scribes#Scribes

<scribe> Scribe: Raphaem

<scribe> Scribenick: raphael

Chair+ George

<bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=47663&public=1

1. Introduction

George Thomas: co-chair of this group

<bhyland> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Scribes

Bernardette: co-chair of this group
... both of us new in co-chairing a w3c group, so we're happy to take advice and suggestions from the group
... the agenda is sent at least 24 hours in advance
... speak up for regrets or possible addition to the agenda
... the time we pick was the most convenient for the majority, sorry for the others

2. F2F meeting in June

See http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/F2F1

scribe: minutes of the first day: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2011-06-29
... minutes of the second day: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2011-06-30

<bkaempgen> bkaempgen is Benedikt Kämpgen

<boris> ?

<annew> that's me, annew 270

<Simpson_2> ;)

<annew> cute

<user> tobo = Tope Omitola

<sandro> tobo, use "/nick tobo"

<HadleyBeeman> Is my microphone hard to hear?

Hadley: data.gov.uk

<HadleyBeeman> Thank you, bhyland!

Raphael: assistant professor in EURECOM, multimedia semantics, datalift project in France (data.gouv.fr)

Rick: US

Bernadette: 3stones, Washington DC

<HadleyBeeman> Raphael, I'm not officially representing data.gov.uk, though I'm working closely with them. I'm on the re-use/linking/best practices side; where as they're more on publishing and reference datasets.

Fadi: ireland, DERI Galway

Simpson_2: data.gov in NL

<user> Tope Omitola University of Southampton

Richard: DERI, statistical data in RDF, member of RDF WG and RDB2RDF WG

Michael: US Environement Protection Agency in Washington DC with Druid

DruidSmith works for U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, manages Facility Registry System http://www.epa.gov/enviro/html/fii/index.html - LOD prototype modeling of FRS: http://epa.gov.clients.talis.com/.html

William: Semantic Web company, colleagues involved in the RDF and Provenance WG

<wbrafford> My company is Revelytix, Inc. http://www.revelytix.com

Martin: work in CTIC (Spain), we have at least 2 projects which are 5 stars compliant, OpenData movement in Spain

George: the other co-chair of this group, works for data.gov in US

<boris> do not worry

<George> George - works for US Dept. of Health and Human Services www.hhs.gov - works with US data.gov PMO

Sandro: W3C team contact, worked in SPARQL, Provenance, etc.

Boris: Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, developing LinkedData projects for several agencies, currently working in DERI for 2 months

<sandro> Universidad Politécnica de Madrid

<TGheen> Tina Gheen is at the National Science Foundation Library in Arlington, VA on temporary assignment to the Library of Congress. Working on a Law project with linked data potential.

<sandro> ( raphael note that we're using CommonScribe not RRSAgent's minutes. )

<gatemezi> Ghislain, PHD student working in the Datalift project, www.datalift.org, at the French government level...

<gatemezi> My supervisor is Raphaël

<gatemezi> I am now at Eurecom

<sandro> Anne: Going to George Mason Univ.

<sandro> Aisen: I'm at MITRE


Hadley: annoucement of a set of new open datasets from the Prime Minister
... data about transport, crime statistics

<George> http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jul/07/government-transparency-data-releases

<George> +1

Bernadette: should we go for 1 hour or 1,5 hour telecon?

<SimonWall> +1

<Simpson_2> +1

Bernadette: I would vote for 1 hour


<boris> +1

<martin> +1 (one hour)

<Yigal> +1

<gatemezi> +1

Bernadette: should we meet weekly during the summer ?
... we could 3 telecon in July because we need to start
... and 2 telecon in August

<annew> +1 short summer

<George> George may get called for jury duty next Thu 7/14

Bernadette: should we skip 14/07 ?

Raphael: 14/07 is national day in France :-)

<HadleyBeeman> While we're discussing meetings, is there a face-to-face planned during the TPAC?

Sandro: put a wiki page up so people can state their availability

Hadley, I think it is too late for TPAC ... all group meetings have been arranged already

<HadleyBeeman> Thanks, George (and Sandro)

TPAC is in Santa Clara in November

Sandro: TPAC is a full week where all groups meet (Mon-Tue and Thu-Fri) while Wed is for the AC
... we should wonder soon when will be the next F2F meeting

June F2F meeting

Raphael: wonder if there is a tracker set up for this group ?

Bernadette: community directory


<wbrafford> unmute brafford

<annew> point of order for coming back to issues... we are about 15 minutes before 11am

<wbrafford> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/F2F1_Community_Directory_Discussion_Summary

<tobo> tobo here Tope Omitola University of Southampton

<gatemezi> I think it is a good base to start. Do we have enough volunteers for that?

William: unclear which technology should be used for this community directory
... web site, wiki
... we can have a discussion

<gatemezi> @William: I suppose all the technologies used in all the process of publishing data on the web

<gatemezi> thus, classify by process

<annew> ok just trying to determine what the first step is.

Bernadette: we should most likely go for open source tools

<George> I think it'd be interesting to use the public Knoodl site to compose the Vocabs (with an eye toward Standard Vocab dogfood) and then have someone host a Callimachus instance (who?)

Bernadette: how to select the tools to mention?

<bkaempgen> +q

<tobo> Apologies, I joined the call late. What directory are you talking about, Bernadette?

Bernadette: we talk a bit a the F2F meeting
... who is interested in helping for this?

<sandro> tobo, the first deliverable, in the Charter.

<tobo> OK.

<George> @tobo - see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/F2F1_Community_Directory_Discussion_Summary

<tobo> Let me check the charter

Raphael: there is the SW Use Cases to get inspiration from

<tobo> Do we mean this : Deployments, at every stage of the effort from initial consideration to maturity, with (when available) success stories, lessons learned, and ongoing challenges (concrete use cases)

Raphael: the Multimedia Semantics XG also tried to do that, e.g. http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/mmsem/

<bkaempgen> http://wiki.planet-data.eu/web/Main_Page

Raphael: main SW wiki is at http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Main_Page

<annew> +1 on wiki templates from sandro

SWEO use cases at http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/

<tobo> I think we're talking about this: Action Item: Support of 2.1.1 - 2.1.4 - Community Directory - Deployments, Vendors, Contractors, Applications - Volunteer: William Bradford ?

<Simpson_2> there is a lot of background noice :(

Raphael: I would suggest to create a new wiki template, similar to the tools one at http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Tools but for Governement Data
... at the same location

<Simpson_2> sandro, +1 to just start

<bkaempgen> +q

<tobo> Bernadette? I'm happy to help William on this task.

<bhyland> @tobo thanks!

<tobo> Very good.

<sandro> bkaempgen: I'm happy to help with Semantic Media Wiki, but I don't want to be the driver.

<George> bkaempgen offers to support the use of SMW

<gatemezi> Could I join the group in charge of the community Directory?

<DruidSmith> I can attempt to help but don't yet have a great deal of tech familiarity with Callimachus or Semantic Media Wiki

<tobo> YES,

<tobo> Tope Omitola

<Yigal> ?p61 is Yigal

<sandro> Atemezing, Ghislain Auguste

<rickmurphy> +q

<boris> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Best_Practices_Discussion_Summary

<George> Tope, Ghislain and David offered to help with ComDir

<gatemezi> yes, Sandro

<HadleyBeeman> Bernadette, I'll help with the cookbook, legacy data, stability and versioning.

<annew> Yay! Hadley for helping me with stability!

<rickmurphy> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Technology_Policy_Leaders

<HadleyBeeman> Looking forward to working with you, Annew. :)

<rickmurphy> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Civil_Society

<Simpson_2> +q

Raphael: I'm under the impression that all these wiki pages are not linked from the main page, are they?

<gatemezi> I can contribute in the vocabulary selection also...

<gatemezi> under the Cookbook if possible

<cygri> i can contribute to the Versioning and Legacy Data chapters

<wbrafford> The hyperlinks Rick is talking about are here: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/F2F1_Community_Directory_Discussion_Summary#Outreach

<Michael> I'd like to help with the ComDir

<annew> +q we need a central place for all these wiki links

<boris> we can contribute on vocabulary selection

<fadmaa> I'd like to help with the cookbook

<tobo> Community Discovery: William, Tope, and Ghislain.

<fadmaa> I can contribute to Legacy Data chapter as well

<sandro> gilman: I'm chairing US Gov Open Vocabs interest group

<Michael> On BPs, I'd like to support 3. Guidance in explaining the value proposition for LOD to stakeholders, managers and executives.

<annew> +1 Raphael's point that we need a central place that links to all these new wiki pages

<gatemezi> +1 to Raphael idea

<George> @Dan - the OGV metadata recommendations and an analysis of it's relationship to other posited vocabs is of interest to this WG

<sandro> raphael, see http://www.w3.org/2009/CommonScribe/manual.html (and I'll be on IRC)

<George> @Dan - ( realize Dan isn't on this IRC channel ) - the aforementioned OGV whitepaper makes no direct contribution to this WG deliverables other than recommending the use of SemWeb technologies and Linked Data

<bhyland> Wiki page, http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Vocabulary_Discussion_Summary

<wbrafford> +q

<Simpson_2> okay I would like to help on use case / best practices part

<Simpson_2> I have full control over the work for the Fire Department Amsterdam

<bkaempgen> I would like to help on Statistical "Cube" Data.

<wbrafford> New wiki pages should be listed under "Ongoing Work" at http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Main_Page

<HadleyBeeman> Thanks, bhyland and George! Useful telecon.

<Simpson_2> thank !

<DruidSmith> Thanks all

<martin> Thanks, bye

<bkaempgen> Thanks

<cygri> thanks bhyland, george, sandro! great first meeting :-)

<bhyland> thanks all.

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/07/07 15:30:05 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Raphael:/Raphael,/
Succeeded: s/Boris/Martin/
Succeeded: s/UPM/CTIC/
Succeeded: s/UPM/Universidad Politécnica de Madrid/
Found Scribe: Raphaem
Found ScribeNick: raphael
Present: Raphael Bernardette DavidWood HadleyBeeman Richard
Regrets: Michael

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting

Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-gld-wg/2011Jul/0001.html
Got date from IRC log name: 07 Jul 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-gld-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]