IRC log of text on 2011-05-16

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:31:50 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #text
15:31:50 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2011/05/16-text-irc
15:31:51 [janina]
15:31:51 [Zakim]
ok, janina, I see WAI_PF(Text)11:30AM already started
15:32:15 [Zakim]
+??P22
15:32:25 [Zakim]
+ +1.617.300.aabb - is perhaps WGBH?
15:32:30 [janina]
zakim, ?P22 is Janina
15:32:30 [Zakim]
sorry, janina, I do not recognize a party named '?P22'
15:32:41 [janina]
zakim, ??P22 is Janina
15:32:41 [Zakim]
+Janina; got it
15:33:29 [janina]
zakim, aabb is Geoff_Freed
15:33:29 [Zakim]
sorry, janina, I do not recognize a party named 'aabb'
15:33:52 [janina]
zakim, ?aabb is Geoff_Freed
15:33:52 [Zakim]
sorry, janina, I do not recognize a party named '?aabb'
15:34:05 [janina]
zakim, ??aabb is Geoff_Freed~
15:34:05 [Zakim]
sorry, janina, I do not recognize a party named '??aabb'
15:34:13 [Stevef]
am on client call so unable to attend the meet
15:34:16 [judy]
judy has joined #text
15:34:22 [Stevef]
regrets
15:35:01 [janina]
zakim, +1.617.300.aabb is Geoff_Freed
15:35:01 [Zakim]
sorry, janina, I do not recognize a party named '+1.617.300.aabb'
15:35:55 [janina]
agenda+ Reminder of clarification, new information, and change proposal advice,
15:35:55 [janina]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Apr/0417.html ,
15:35:55 [janina]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Apr/0421.html ,
15:35:55 [janina]
http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy.html#change-proposal, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0000.html
15:35:55 [janina]
agenda+ Confirm title change proposal forwarded to Co-Chairs
15:35:57 [janina]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/notitle
15:35:59 [janina]
agenda+ Check consensus on longdesc change proposal
15:36:01 [janina]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc
15:36:03 [janina]
agenda+ Check status on meta name=generator change proposal; call for
15:36:05 [janina]
consensus if ready
15:36:07 [janina]
agenda+ Check status on any other text-alternative CP's pending
15:36:09 [janina]
agenda+ Continue discussion on role=presentation; need bugs only, or CP?
15:36:11 [janina]
agenda+ Discussion of expected HTML WG survey on readiness of HTML5 draft for Last Call
15:36:13 [janina]
agenda+ Pre-checking potential formal objections for
15:36:15 [janina]
unresolved/unrestored accessibility features
15:36:18 [janina]
agenda+ Other business?
15:36:19 [janina]
agenda+ Confirm timelines during week of 16 May; confirm next meetings; identify scribe for following meeting; adjourn.
15:37:24 [Leonie_Watson]
Scribe: Leonie_Watson
15:38:31 [Leonie_Watson]
Topic: Reminder of clarification, new information and change proposal advice
15:38:45 [Zakim]
+??P25
15:39:12 [janina]
zakim, ??P25 is Steve_Faulkner
15:39:12 [Zakim]
+Steve_Faulkner; got it
15:40:05 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: As we work to get more appropriate support for accessibility, we need to point at what in our proposals is new evidence, and provide as much of a spec ready text as we can.
15:40:56 [Leonie_Watson]
Topic: Confirm consensus decision on last Thursday's poll
15:40:59 [Stevef]
q+
15:41:17 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: This has happened. More news to follow.
15:41:39 [JF]
ask ste
15:41:47 [JF]
ack ste
15:43:08 [Leonie_Watson]
SF: Lief has also submitted a change proposal.
15:43:34 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: Steve, have you locked the wiki pag yet?
15:43:41 [Leonie_Watson]
SF: No, will do that now.
15:44:25 [Leonie_Watson]
Topic: Longdesc
15:45:29 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: The question is whether this proposal is ready to be submitted with the backing of the TF.
15:46:04 [Leonie_Watson]
JF: Are you asking that of the people on this call?
15:46:15 [JF]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc
15:47:21 [gfreed]
+1
15:47:25 [Stevef]
+1
15:47:25 [JF]
+1
15:47:32 [janina]
+1
15:47:35 [Leonie_Watson]
+1
15:47:44 [gfreed]
=1
15:47:44 [gfreed]
=1
15:47:45 [gfreed]
=1
15:47:56 [judy]
+1
15:48:06 [gfreed]
stuffing the ballot box.
15:48:13 [richardschwerdtfe]
+1
15:48:17 [LynnH]
+1
15:48:26 [JF]
JF will record Joshue O'Connor +1
15:48:43 [LynnH]
+1 for Marco Ranon
15:49:00 [JF]
+1 for Laura Carlson
15:49:14 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: It looks unanimous for the people on the call/IRC.
15:52:49 [Zakim]
+Judy
15:54:16 [LHSilli]
LHSilli has joined #text
15:54:25 [Leonie_Watson]
JB: I need to keep focused on a meeting here, but wanted to drop in briefly.
15:55:42 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: We were discussing the role of sub groups in making recommendations on behalf of the TF.
15:56:32 [Leonie_Watson]
JB: Unless there is an adjustement to either the timeline, the process, or the definition of last call, that even with the consensus position nothing will be happening before the last call draft.
15:56:59 [Zakim]
-JF
15:57:11 [Zakim]
+JF
15:58:03 [Leonie_Watson]
JB: Would anyone be willing to make a formal objection if the situation requires it?
16:01:37 [janina]
I was suggesting we can also look at wg support for formal requests
16:02:13 [Leonie_Watson]
JB: Who might support a formal objection on longdesc not being restored in the last call working draft if it goes forward?
16:02:26 [LynnH]
+1
16:02:56 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: So of those who agreed with the change proposal (above), who would be supportive of a formal objection?
16:03:09 [gfreed]
+1
16:03:33 [Leonie_Watson]
RS: Which longdesc are you referring to? The one in the change proposal or the one in HTML4?
16:03:47 [Leonie_Watson]
JB: The one in the change proposal (Laura's change proposal).
16:04:14 [janina]
The meeting is now testing whether there is present consensus to support a formal objection escalation should it appear that HTML last call is to be published without the longdesc as in our supported proposal
16:04:43 [janina]
+1
16:04:46 [JF]
+1
16:04:51 [Leonie_Watson]
+1
16:05:21 [Leonie_Watson]
JOC: Well put, exactly.
16:05:21 [judy]
+1
16:05:24 [JF]
Joshue O'Connor = +1
16:06:11 [LHSilli]
+1
16:06:40 [gfreed]
+1
16:07:20 [Leonie_Watson]
RS: I support this proposal, but if it doesn't go through I think we can approach it with ARIA.
16:07:32 [Leonie_Watson]
RS: Abstention.
16:07:35 [JF]
BTW, Paul Cotton's note: Last Call decision poll: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011May/0163.html
16:08:14 [Zakim]
-??P18
16:08:53 [Leonie_Watson]
JB: Am I assuming it's ok to represent this position on a formal objection on behalf of the TF?
16:08:58 [JF]
zakim, ??P18 is Joshue O'Connor
16:08:58 [Zakim]
I don't understand '??P18 is Joshue O'Connor', JF
16:09:15 [Leonie_Watson]
RS: I would say you have the majority, so yes.
16:12:37 [Leonie_Watson]
JB: I don't think the WG has an expidited process, although the W3C does.
16:14:52 [Leonie_Watson]
*General discussion about the wording of the resolutions.
16:16:01 [JF]
me/ Resolution: The Task Force supports a Formal Objection escalation should it appear that HTML last call is to be published without the longdesc as in our supported proposal
16:16:56 [Stevef]
+1
16:17:05 [Leonie_Watson]
+1
16:17:10 [gfreed]
+1
16:17:10 [janina]
+1
16:17:15 [LynnH]
+1
16:17:25 [JF]
Resolution: The Task Force supports the Issue 30 Change Proposal at: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc
16:17:44 [judy]
+1
16:17:48 [JF]
RESOLUTION: The Task Force supports the Issue 30 Change Proposal at: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc
16:18:22 [JF]
scribe: JF
16:18:27 [JF]
RESOLUTION: The Task Force supports the Issue 30 Change Proposal at: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc
16:19:09 [Leonie_Watson]
RESOLUTION: The Task Force supports the Issue 30 Change Proposal at:
16:19:11 [Leonie_Watson]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc
16:20:17 [Leonie_Watson]
JB: No-one knows what will happen with the last call, so even without accessibility the timeline could drift. We should try to keep things moving.
16:21:25 [JF]
RESOLUTION: The Task Force supports a Formal Objection escalation should it appear that HTML last call is to be published without the longdesc as in our supported proposal
16:21:39 [Zakim]
-Judy
16:21:43 [Leonie_Watson]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:21:43 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/05/16-text-minutes.html Leonie_Watson
16:22:42 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: Anything else from the technological or process point of view on this?
16:23:10 [Leonie_Watson]
Topic: Meta generator
16:23:36 [Stevef]
me/ got ot go see you all later
16:23:39 [Leonie_Watson]
JF: I haven't been able to get anything into the wiki, but it's on my agenda this week.
16:24:10 [Zakim]
-Steve_Faulkner
16:24:18 [Leonie_Watson]
Topic: Figcaption
16:24:50 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: Steve isn't here, so we can't do much here.
16:25:03 [Leonie_Watson]
Topic: Responses to the survey
16:25:35 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: The oll announced this morning about taking the documents to llast call.
16:26:09 [JF]
Last Call decision poll: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011May/0163.html
16:26:59 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: We should look at the survey they're running and check if there are any responses from the group.
16:27:16 [judy_]
judy_ has joined #text
16:29:05 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: I'm willig to cut the specs some slack for new technologies, but that the things we have agreed on should be repressented properly.
16:29:39 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: The things that have been there since HTML4 and that have not been resolved now are really core.
16:30:01 [Leonie_Watson]
RS: If the situation with longdesc likely to cause a problem then?
16:30:34 [Leonie_Watson]
JF: They've agreed to open the issue.
16:31:07 [Leonie_Watson]
RS: Regarding canvas, they put my changes in but there are editorial things I still need to look at.
16:31:59 [Leonie_Watson]
JS: When it comes to the stuff that's new in HTML5 (and there's a lot that's new), the world will cut some slack. The angst has come from those areas that aren't new.
16:33:00 [Leonie_Watson]
RS: What we have for longdesc in our change proposal has much more value than longdesc in HTML4.
16:33:45 [Leonie_Watson]
RS: Why some things are singled out over others is uncerain, but there you go!
16:33:58 [Leonie_Watson]
s/uncerain/uncertain/
16:35:34 [JF]
JF picks up scribing
16:35:42 [Zakim]
-??P19
16:35:42 [JF]
scribeL JF
16:36:06 [JF]
JS: seems we are closing in to the end of the call anyway
16:36:28 [JF]
are there any other topic concerns? outstanding questions? any other business?
16:36:41 [JF]
looking for a scribe for next week? volunteers?
16:37:00 [JF]
Janina volutneers to be nest weeks scribe
16:38:02 [JF]
JS: thanks all
16:38:12 [LHSilli]
LHSilli has left #text
16:38:33 [Zakim]
-Janina
16:38:35 [Zakim]
-WGBH?
16:38:36 [Zakim]
- +44.208.517.aaaa
16:38:38 [Zakim]
-Rich
16:38:54 [JF]
rrsagent, make logs public
16:39:02 [JF]
zaxim, bye
16:39:18 [JF]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:39:18 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2011/05/16-text-minutes.html JF
16:40:47 [JF]
rrsagent, please part
16:40:47 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items