IRC log of au on 2011-02-28

Timestamps are in UTC.

20:57:57 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #au
20:57:57 [RRSAgent]
logging to
20:58:01 [Jan]
Zakim, this will be AUWG
20:58:01 [Zakim]
ok, Jan; I see WAI_AUWG()3:00PM scheduled to start 58 minutes ago
20:58:06 [Jan]
Meeting: WAI AU
20:58:25 [Jan]
20:58:39 [Jan]
Chair: Jan Richards
20:58:51 [Jan]
Regrets: Jutta Treviranus, Alex Li
20:59:30 [jeanne]
jeanne has joined #au
21:00:47 [Jan]
Regrets: Jutta Treviranus, Alex Li, Alessandro M.
21:01:27 [ARonksley]
ARonksley has joined #au
21:01:47 [Zakim]
WAI_AUWG()3:00PM has now started
21:01:54 [Zakim]
21:02:26 [Jan]
zakim, code?
21:02:26 [Zakim]
the conference code is 2894 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+ tel:+44.203.318.0479), Jan
21:02:33 [alastairc]
alastairc has joined #au
21:02:35 [Zakim]
21:02:46 [Jan]
zakim, ??P7 is really Jan
21:02:46 [Zakim]
+Jan; got it
21:03:01 [Zakim]
21:03:34 [Zakim]
21:04:07 [Jan]
zakim, ??P11 is really Alastair
21:04:07 [Zakim]
+Alastair; got it
21:04:13 [Jan]
zakim, ??P13 is really Andrew
21:04:13 [Zakim]
+Andrew; got it
21:15:00 [Zakim]
21:16:56 [Zakim]
+ +1.561.200.aaaa
21:17:18 [Jan]
zakim, aaaa is really Sueann
21:17:18 [Zakim]
+Sueann; got it
21:17:41 [Jan]
scribe: Alastair
21:18:09 [Zakim]
21:18:12 [Jan]
21:18:25 [Jan]
zakim, [Microsoft] is really Cherie
21:18:25 [Zakim]
+Cherie; got it
21:18:33 [Jan]
Topic: 1. Note on what "not applicable" means and how to use it
21:19:01 [Jan]
21:22:48 [alastairc]
The change (refinement) is making it clearer that a conformance claim should say when an SC is not applicable.
21:24:13 [Jan]
Resolution: All accept "not applicable" wording at:
21:24:45 [Jan]
Topic: 2. Updated proposals on ATAG2 defns of author and authoring tool
21:24:51 [Jan]
21:24:58 [Sueann]
Sueann has joined #au
21:25:20 [Zakim]
21:25:22 [Zakim]
21:25:26 [alastairc]
\me just got static now...
21:25:27 [Zakim]
21:25:36 [jeanne]
21:26:12 [Zakim]
21:26:21 [Zakim]
21:26:26 [Jan]
zakim, [Microsoft] is really Cherie
21:26:26 [Zakim]
+Cherie; got it
21:26:27 [Zakim]
21:27:25 [Sueann]
Sueann has joined #au
21:29:25 [Zakim]
21:30:00 [Jan]
21:30:50 [Zakim]
21:30:50 [Jan]
zakim, who's making noise?
21:31:01 [Zakim]
Jan, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: 7 (88%)
21:31:11 [Jan]
zakim, who's 7?
21:31:11 [Zakim]
I don't understand your question, Jan.
21:31:25 [Zakim]
21:31:30 [Zakim]
21:31:33 [Jan]
good now
21:31:56 [jeanne]
zakim, who is here?
21:31:56 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Jan, Alastair, Andrew, Sueann, Tim_Boland, Cherie, Greg
21:31:58 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Sueann, alastairc, ARonksley, jeanne, RRSAgent, Zakim, Jan, trackbot
21:32:32 [Zakim]
21:39:52 [alastairc]
Q: Can we rule out lower level tools that can't be fixed later in the process?
21:42:28 [alastairc]
Jan: Maybe needs another document?
21:43:16 [alastairc]
E.g. Geographical systems that don't provide accessible input/output
21:45:04 [alastairc]
Jan: Consideration about how to include 'author awareness' in some form. Will put this into a survey early this week.
21:45:29 [Jan]
Topic: 3. Series of long-waiting non-normative (and hopefully minor) edits marked with a single "@":
21:45:50 [Jan]
21:48:04 [Jan]
Action: Alastair to look into other national standards links
21:48:04 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-324 - Look into other national standards links [on Alastair Campbell - due 2011-03-07].
21:49:05 [Zakim]
21:49:49 [Jan]
@There are two ways to meet this success criterion. For option (a), the authoring tool renders the alternatives in conjunction with the rendered time-based content. For example, a captioned video would have its captions displayed when it played. This approach is preferable, since it does not require authors to switch applications. For option (b), the authoring tool may instead provide...
21:49:51 [Jan]
...authors with the option of rendering their content in a user agent that is able to render the alternatives. While this is not ideal from a usability perspective, it is necessary because alternatives are sometimes provided in different modalities that authoring tools are not equipped to render. For example, an audio editor might allow authors to edit the waveform of the audio file and...
21:49:52 [Jan]
...render (i.e., play) the resulting audio files. However, the audio editor might not BE equipped to render video, so if an audio file includes an alternative that is a sign language file in video format, the audio editor will need assistance in rendering the file.
21:50:10 [Jan]
Resolution: All accept new Intent of Success Criterion A.2.1.2:
21:51:16 [Jan]
Resolution: All accept: Examples of Success Criterion A.2.1.2:
21:54:03 [Jan]
Resolution: All accept wording @Undo queue: An authoring tool saves author actions in a "last-in-last-out" queue.
21:55:22 [Jan]
Resolution: All accept: @The note acknowledges that there are automatic behaviors that may be specified by other parties, and that author actions may purposefully or inadvertently affect the accessibility of the content generated later.
21:57:42 [Jan]
Resolution: All accept: @Email archive: An automatic email archiving system automatically creates web pages from each email message that it receives. It has been designed to generate accessible markup, but if email messages contain accessibility problems, the archiving system is not able to rectify them.
21:58:22 [Jan]
@Social networking application: A social networking application collects some limited information from authors (e.g. name, gender, status updates, etc.) which it uses to personalize an automatically generated web application that meets the requirements of WCAG.
21:58:50 [Jan]
Resolution: All accept @Social networking application: A social networking application collects some limited information from authors (e.g. name, gender, status updates, etc.) which it uses to personalize an automatically generated web application that meets the requirements of WCAG.
22:02:53 [Zakim]
22:03:21 [Jan]
JR: There is no judgement implied regarding the accessibility of formats?
22:03:45 [Zakim]
22:03:46 [Zakim]
22:03:46 [Zakim]
22:03:48 [Zakim]
22:03:49 [Zakim]
22:03:58 [alastairc]
alastairc has left #au
22:04:02 [Jan]
RRSAgent, make minutes
22:04:02 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate Jan
22:04:08 [Jan]
RRSAgent, set logs public
22:04:09 [Zakim]
22:04:10 [Zakim]
WAI_AUWG()3:00PM has ended
22:04:12 [Zakim]
Attendees were Jeanne, Jan, Alastair, Andrew, Tim_Boland, +1.561.200.aaaa, Sueann, Cherie, Greg
22:04:13 [Jan]
Zakim, bye
22:04:13 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #au
22:04:20 [Jan]
RRSAgent, bye
22:04:20 [RRSAgent]
I see 1 open action item saved in :
22:04:20 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Alastair to look into other national standards links [1]
22:04:20 [RRSAgent]
recorded in