IRC log of html-a11y on 2011-01-24

Timestamps are in UTC.

20:00:29 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #html-a11y
20:00:29 [RRSAgent]
logging to
20:00:31 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
20:00:31 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #html-a11y
20:00:33 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 2119
20:00:33 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see WAI_PFWG(A11Y)3:00PM scheduled to start now
20:00:34 [trackbot]
Meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference
20:00:34 [trackbot]
Date: 24 January 2011
20:00:45 [oedipus]
scribe: Gregory_Rosmaita
20:00:48 [Downchuck]
Downchuck has joined #html-a11y
20:00:49 [oedipus]
scribenick: oedipus
20:01:02 [richardschwerdtfe]
meeting: W3C HTML Canvas Accessibility Subteam
20:02:57 [oedipus]
zakim, who is her?
20:02:57 [Zakim]
I don't understand your question, oedipus.
20:03:00 [oedipus]
zakim, who is here?
20:03:00 [Zakim]
WAI_PFWG(A11Y)3:00PM has not yet started, oedipus
20:03:01 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Downchuck, Zakim, RRSAgent, richardschwerdtfe, oedipus, jongund, MikeSmith, MichaelC, trackbot, [tm]
20:05:16 [oedipus]
zakim, this is WAI_PFWG(A11Y)(
20:05:16 [Zakim]
sorry, oedipus, I do not see a conference named 'WAI_PFWG(A11Y)(' in progress or scheduled at this time
20:05:19 [oedipus]
zakim, this is WAI_PFWG(A11Y)
20:05:19 [Zakim]
ok, oedipus; that matches WAI_PFWG(A11Y)3:00PM
20:07:39 [richardschwerdtfe]
20:08:28 [oedipus]
TOPIC: Catching Up
20:08:37 [oedipus]
RS: waiting for FrankO and DavidB
20:09:05 [oedipus]
zakim, who is on the phone?
20:09:05 [Zakim]
On the phone I see +1.949.637.aaaa, Rich, Gregory_Rosmaita
20:09:35 [oedipus]
zakim, aaaa is Charles_Pritchard
20:09:35 [Zakim]
+Charles_Pritchard; got it
20:10:19 [oedipus]
RS: in IE9 implementation of FocusRing include any other parameters other than element?
20:10:38 [oedipus]
CP: pretty sure use current existing implementation instead of a new one -- doesn't help magnifiers much, i think
20:11:00 [oedipus]
CP: at least have shadow DOM in IE9 even though magnification stuck at the moment
20:12:01 [oedipus]
CP: received email from dominique and davidB
20:12:21 [oedipus]
CP: interesting post by TV Raman
20:12:42 [oedipus]
CP: interested in work -- more focused on audio interfaces
20:13:25 [oedipus]
latest draft HTML_Canvas_Element.html:
20:13:35 [oedipus]
latest draft of HTML_Canvas_2DContext101711.html
20:13:38 [oedipus]
latest draft of CanvasEditor.html
20:14:04 [Downchuck]
I pushed a new draft, didn't make it onto one of the lists; editing setCaretSelectionRect to remove "text" references
20:14:11 [oedipus]
20:14:37 [Downchuck]
They were intended as author instructions; not implementer guidelines. They were controversial and necessary.
20:15:48 [Downchuck]
Sometimes I join via iPhone, and it's helpful to have the agenda about 10 minutes before the meeting, to get the phone number.
20:15:55 [oedipus]
RS: pinged Frank directly but only got voice mail
20:16:40 [oedipus]
RS: don't know hiow much we can get done without quorum
20:16:57 [oedipus]
TOPIC: ARIA Valid in Canvas Subtree
20:17:01 [oedipus]
RS: didn't see any objections
20:17:06 [oedipus]
CP: me neither
20:17:31 [davidb]
davidb has joined #html-a11y
20:17:44 [oedipus]
RS: caret tracking -- contacted zoomtext people and pointed them to CP's page -- asked if can track caret in IE9 (use DirectDraw without caret tracking) -- can they track or not?
20:17:48 [Downchuck]
Hi David
20:17:49 [oedipus]
CP: using graphics buffer
20:17:53 [oedipus]
RS: right
20:18:05 [oedipus]
RS: don't know if access graphics buffer or if cache
20:18:14 [davidb]
hi Downchuck
20:18:15 [oedipus]
CP: thought reading from graphics buffer to monitor changes
20:18:51 [oedipus]
RS: David telloing me can't be useful until mid-February
20:19:03 [oedipus]
CP: consensus on drawFocusRing and shasow CANVAS DOM
20:19:11 [oedipus]
CP: caret slection -- 2 windows calls
20:19:31 [oedipus]
CP: on implementations that support shadow DOM really minimal work in coding
20:19:51 [oedipus]
CP: WebKit has serious work to do if not supporting shadow DOM -- believe FF working on it, too
20:20:04 [oedipus]
CP: work now is to get acceptance for validity of method
20:20:19 [oedipus]
RS: tweaks to drawFocusRing?
20:20:25 [oedipus]
RS: or caret tracking?
20:20:58 [oedipus]
CP: change textSelection to just "selection" -- ARIA simimlar -- works without pushing text editing -- items about text for author to figure out and document
20:21:11 [oedipus]
CP: rectangle should be passed over to a11y API and then done
20:21:51 [oedipus]
CP: creating group consensus on selectRectangle -- if can reach agreement on methodName can break through this impasse
20:22:27 [oedipus]
TOPIC: Positioning Information
20:22:42 [oedipus]
RS: virtual mapping or buffer for positioning in markup?
20:23:01 [oedipus]
CP: exploring that -- initially focused on DrawFocus rectangle
20:23:41 [oedipus]
CP: this is the x,y you shold be focused on is insufficient -- need scale -- wide or narrow -- when used in conjunction with drawFocusRing, magnifiers can do a LOT more
20:23:54 [oedipus]
CP: beyond that, exploring scrolling
20:24:35 [oedipus]
CP: magnifier scrolls across screen, but certain UI elements have content -- addressed in input type="text" element -- can seet ScrollLeftValue and show and scroll that text programmatically
20:24:56 [oedipus]
CP: AISquared brought up issues with clipping and scrolling text
20:25:07 [oedipus]
CP: not currently using ScrollLeft, ScrollTop, etc.
20:25:32 [oedipus]
CP: raised displays on magnifier is current focus of brainstorming once magnificati0on centered
20:25:54 [oedipus]
CP: how can scolling parameters be passed into canvas and project good magnification with crisp and clear depth
20:26:06 [Downchuck]
thanks for the minutes; well done
20:26:08 [oedipus]
RS: going to review WebKit code
20:26:23 [oedipus]
RS: focus in caret tracking and WebKit
20:26:48 [oedipus]
CP: current issue: non-interactive elements such as text span aren't assigned as focusable in shadow DOM
20:27:12 [oedipus]
CP: trying to find out where is breakdown -- if can get focus on elements, have reasonable success rate
20:27:46 [oedipus]
CP: take handler and start working with it, but haven 't gotten to first step "this is focusable" -- bit parameter? (easy approach?) -- trying to get feedback on this
20:28:04 [oedipus]
CP: windows should be easy to support; haven 't looked at OSX or linux APIs yet
20:28:16 [oedipus]
RS: dominic sent me a WebKit link
20:28:29 [oedipus]
CP: submitted patch based on feedback -- live process
20:28:42 [oedipus]
RS: CP please send me the changes
20:28:54 [oedipus]
CP: will send something on the baseline
20:29:09 [oedipus]
20:31:02 [oedipus]
CP: need shadow DOM and focusable shadow DOM in WebKit
20:31:31 [oedipus]
CP: been dialoguing with chromium devs
20:32:34 [oedipus]
CP: went directly to chromium dev list -- cross referenced bugs with our issues -- trying to get support in chromium dev community so can get attention
20:33:17 [oedipus]
CP: re Microsoft, have interoperability subgroup -- might be interest there, as well
20:33:35 [oedipus]
CP: work on trying to make MS products work with non-MS tech like PHP
20:34:04 [oedipus]
CP: purpose is to map a11y APIs that already exist -- that is interoperability -- lateral connections sometimes best
20:34:22 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate oedipus
20:35:06 [oedipus]
RS: need to get done by 21 february 2011
20:35:10 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate oedipus
20:35:54 [Zakim]
20:35:57 [Zakim]
20:35:58 [Zakim]
20:35:58 [Zakim]
WAI_PFWG(A11Y)3:00PM has ended
20:36:00 [Zakim]
Attendees were +1.949.637.aaaa, Rich, Gregory_Rosmaita, Charles_Pritchard
20:36:02 [oedipus]
zakim, please part
20:36:02 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #html-a11y
20:36:05 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate oedipus
20:36:16 [Downchuck]
davidb: thanks for popping in.
20:36:44 [oedipus]
chair: Rich
20:36:53 [oedipus]
20:36:55 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate oedipus
20:37:25 [oedipus]
present- +1.949.637.aaaa
20:37:27 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate oedipus
20:37:39 [oedipus]
rrsagent, make log public
20:37:41 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate oedipus
20:38:18 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items