IRC log of htmlspeech on 2010-12-09

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:49:25 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #htmlspeech
16:49:25 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/12/09-htmlspeech-irc
16:49:31 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #htmlspeech
16:49:40 [burn]
zakim, this will be htmlspeech
16:49:40 [Zakim]
ok, burn; I see INC_(HTMLSPEECH)12:00PM scheduled to start in 11 minutes
16:50:19 [burn]
zakim, code?
16:50:19 [Zakim]
the conference code is 48657 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.26.46.79.03 tel:+44.203.318.0479), burn
16:51:57 [Zakim]
INC_(HTMLSPEECH)12:00PM has now started
16:52:04 [Zakim]
+Michael_Bodell
16:52:20 [mbodell]
mbodell has joined #htmlspeech
16:53:36 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
16:54:09 [Zakim]
-[IPcaller]
16:54:48 [smaug_]
smaug_ has joined #htmlspeech
16:55:33 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
16:55:58 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
16:56:10 [smaug_]
Zakim, [IPcaller] is Olli_Pettay
16:56:10 [Zakim]
+Olli_Pettay; got it
16:56:22 [Robert]
Robert has joined #htmlspeech
16:57:49 [Zakim]
+Dan_Burnett
16:58:53 [burn]
zakim, [Microsoft] is Robert_Brown
16:58:53 [Zakim]
+Robert_Brown; got it
16:59:11 [burn]
zakim, nick smaug_ is Olli_Pettay
16:59:11 [Zakim]
ok, burn, I now associate smaug_ with Olli_Pettay
16:59:20 [burn]
zakim, i am Dan_Burnett
16:59:20 [Zakim]
ok, burn, I now associate you with Dan_Burnett
16:59:31 [burn]
zakim, nick Robert is Robert_Brown
16:59:31 [Zakim]
ok, burn, I now associate Robert with Robert_Brown
16:59:32 [Zakim]
+Milan_Young
16:59:58 [burn]
zakim, nick mbodell is Michael_Bodell
16:59:58 [Zakim]
ok, burn, I now associate mbodell with Michael_Bodell
17:00:31 [burn]
zakim, who is noisy?
17:00:32 [Zakim]
-Robert_Brown
17:00:40 [Milan]
Milan has joined #htmlspeech
17:00:41 [Zakim]
burn, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: 4 (46%), Dan_Burnett (27%), Milan_Young (78%)
17:00:54 [burn]
zakim, nick Milan is Milan_Young
17:00:54 [Zakim]
ok, burn, I now associate Milan with Milan_Young
17:01:03 [burn]
trackbot, start telcon
17:01:05 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
17:01:07 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be
17:01:07 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'this will be', trackbot
17:01:08 [trackbot]
Meeting: HTML Speech Incubator Group Teleconference
17:01:08 [trackbot]
Date: 09 December 2010
17:01:11 [Zakim]
+Debbie_Dahl
17:01:43 [burn]
Chair: Dan Burnett
17:01:46 [ddahl]
ddahl has joined #htmlspeech
17:01:57 [burn]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Dec/0069.html
17:02:21 [Zakim]
+Dan_Druta
17:03:37 [Zakim]
+Satish_Sampath
17:04:24 [satish]
satish has joined #htmlspeech
17:04:36 [DanD]
DanD has joined #htmlspeech
17:04:45 [burn]
zakim, nick satish is Satish_Sampath
17:04:47 [Zakim]
ok, burn, I now associate satish with Satish_Sampath
17:04:55 [burn]
zakim, nick DanD is Dan_Druta
17:04:55 [Zakim]
ok, burn, I now associate DanD with Dan_Druta
17:05:12 [burn]
Scribe: Dan_Druta
17:05:19 [burn]
ScribeNick: DanD
17:06:21 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
17:07:22 [burn]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Dec/0069.html
17:07:49 [DanD]
Topic: Minutes from last call
17:09:08 [DanD]
burn: There were some issues with the minutes
17:09:23 [DanD]
mbodell: I think I captured them
17:09:47 [burn]
Dan's followup email about the minutes: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Dec/0071.html
17:10:02 [ddahl]
zakim, who is noisy?
17:10:08 [Zakim]
-[Microsoft]
17:10:14 [DanD]
burn: No need to update the minutes
17:10:14 [Zakim]
ddahl, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Dan_Burnett (7%), [Microsoft] (15%)
17:10:30 [DanD]
Topic: new version of the req draft
17:10:37 [burn]
Draft is: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/htmlspeech/live/draft-20101209-requirements.html
17:10:50 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
17:11:17 [DanD]
burn: No issues with the requirements draft
17:11:52 [DanD]
Topic: R34 - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Dec/0064.html
17:12:48 [DanD]
mbodell: Threre is consensus
17:12:58 [DanD]
mbodell: drop R34
17:13:06 [burn]
zakim, [Microsoft] is Robert_Brown
17:13:06 [Zakim]
+Robert_Brown; got it
17:13:19 [burn]
nick Robert is Robert_Brown
17:13:24 [DanD]
Topic: R32 - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Dec/0067.html
17:13:43 [DanD]
mbodell: consesnus to keep it
17:14:20 [DanD]
Topic: R19 - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Dec/0068.html
17:14:35 [DanD]
mbodell - Consensus to drop - out of scope
17:15:01 [DanD]
Topic: R11 - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Dec/0065.html
17:16:22 [burn]
Dan proposes (instead of Bjorn's wording): "The User Agent and protocol must not prevent web applications from integrating input from multiple modalities."
17:16:22 [DanD]
burn: New wording proposed
17:16:38 [burn]
s/Dan proposes/DanB proposes/
17:17:26 [DanD]
ddahl: concern includes the API in the protocol
17:18:56 [burn]
possible adjustment to: "Web applications must not be prevented from integrating input from multiple modalities"
17:19:05 [burn]
agreement/disagreement?
17:19:46 [burn]
zakim, who is here?
17:19:46 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Michael_Bodell, Olli_Pettay, Dan_Burnett, Milan_Young, Debbie_Dahl, Dan_Druta, Satish_Sampath, Robert_Brown
17:19:48 [Zakim]
On IRC I see DanD, satish, ddahl, Milan, Robert, smaug_, mbodell, Zakim, RRSAgent, burn, trackbot
17:19:50 [Zakim]
-Satish_Sampath
17:20:02 [DanD]
ddahl: OK with the wording
17:20:09 [satish]
I got dropped, having difficulty joining in.. will keep trying.
17:20:33 [DanD]
burn: we got consensus on the wording
17:21:08 [DanD]
Topic: R09 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Dec/0060.html
17:21:35 [DanD]
mbodell: There are a few comments
17:21:54 [mbodell]
bjorn's proposed requirements: 1. The web app should be notified when TTS playback starts.
17:22:05 [mbodell]
2. The web app should be notified when TTS playback finishes.
17:22:19 [mbodell]
3. The web app should be notified when the audio corresponding to a TTS <mark> element is played back.
17:22:56 [DanD]
burn: I agree with the 3 proposed requirements
17:23:11 [DanD]
ddahl: we can always add later
17:23:13 [burn]
olli also agrees and notes that we might want to add more later
17:23:14 [Zakim]
+Satish_Sampath
17:23:26 [DanD]
Robert: Agreed
17:24:12 [DanD]
burn: on the long email we need to decide how to wording
17:24:22 [burn]
zakim, nick Satish is Satish_Sampath
17:24:22 [Zakim]
ok, burn, I now associate satish with Satish_Sampath
17:25:19 [DanD]
burn: if you look at SSML 1.1 it will be nice to receive a notification
17:26:05 [DanD]
burn: the decision we got so far should be sufficient if we agree and we can add later
17:26:36 [DanD]
ddahl: if we look at less used events we can spend a lot of time
17:27:05 [DanD]
burn: no disagreements
17:27:36 [DanD]
Topic: R13 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Dec/0066.html
17:28:03 [DanD]
mbodell: there was quite a conversation about this one
17:28:38 [DanD]
burn: we can't know all the security threats are going to be
17:29:04 [bringert]
bringert has joined #htmlspeech
17:29:27 [bringert]
trying to join, getting "all circuits are busy now"
17:30:02 [Zakim]
-Satish_Sampath
17:30:40 [bringert]
trying french number
17:31:21 [burn]
DanD: want to separate notification from communication
17:31:31 [Zakim]
+Bjorn_Bringert
17:31:51 [bringert]
french number worked
17:31:52 [burn]
ddahl: does communication mean http/html?
17:32:09 [burn]
zakim, nick bringert is Bjorn_Bringert
17:32:09 [Zakim]
ok, burn, I now associate bringert with Bjorn_Bringert
17:33:23 [burn]
bringert: customization is great but can have security problems
17:33:24 [DanD]
bringert: we pretty much agreed but it's hard to word it
17:34:56 [DanD]
ddahl: would it be possible to relate to other requirements?
17:35:08 [Zakim]
+Satish_Sampath
17:35:48 [DanD]
bringert: we should allow customisation unless it violates other requirements in this requirements
17:36:10 [DanD]
burn: unless it violates other requirements in this doc
17:36:39 [DanD]
ddahl: than we need to make it clear what req
17:37:26 [DanD]
ddahl: we get into maintenance problems
17:38:38 [DanD]
bringert: typing the wording for review
17:38:51 [mbodell]
security requirements: 10, 16, 17, and 18
17:40:07 [DanD]
burn: we can be specific and miss or be vague and open
17:40:53 [burn]
michael: we should be specific about what we know now and include a clause that covers the future
17:41:21 [bringert]
"Web apps should be able to customize all aspects of the user interface for speech recognition, except where such customizations conflict with security and privacy requirements in this document, or where they cause other security or privacy problems."
17:42:26 [DanD]
ddahl: we create a spec and it gets implemented and a security problem comes up. Are we not compliant?
17:43:44 [mbodell]
can/should we list which are the "security and privacy requirements in this document". I think 10, 16, 17, and 18 but do others agree or notice others?
17:45:05 [bringert]
FPR1
17:45:13 [DanD]
dand: we should be specific where it's clear and leave an open window for unknown
17:45:47 [DanD]
bringert: Michael already listed the requirements
17:46:18 [bringert]
maybe FPR20
17:46:29 [bringert]
"The spec should not unnecessarily restrict the UA's choice in privacy policy."
17:47:46 [DanD]
bringert: 1, 10, 17, 17, 18 and 20 apply
17:47:56 [mbodell]
so our list to date is 1, 10, 16, 17, 18, and 20
17:48:07 [mbodell]
s/17, 17,/16, 17,/
17:49:04 [DanD]
mbodell: we should use the statement with the list of requirements
17:49:19 [DanD]
mbodell: we got consensus on that
17:49:43 [DanD]
Topic: R23 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Dec/0038.html
17:50:39 [DanD]
bringert: Hard to follow all the comments in the email
17:51:12 [DanD]
bringert: we should continue and ask if there's an actual requirement
17:52:24 [DanD]
bringert: We tend to agree that we can do with the API's for multimodal apps
17:54:59 [DanD]
mbodell: Our current req in the doc and the existing API's are sufficient
17:55:01 [mbodell]
I think the agreement is that our current requirements for Speech XG + existing html is sufficient to do multimodal applications
17:55:15 [mbodell]
and that closes r23
17:57:37 [DanD]
Topic: UA/SS - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Dec/0062.html
17:58:56 [DanD]
mbodell: this is getting a little bit away from requirements
17:59:12 [DanD]
bringert: it is valuable to discuss
18:00:38 [DanD]
Milan: As long as it's possible for the web app to talk with the speech service we shoud be fine
18:01:18 [DanD]
Robert: we need to get back on topic - Standard protocol
18:01:53 [DanD]
mbodell: we have requirements to address this
18:02:29 [bringert]
bringert has joined #htmlspeech
18:03:11 [DanD]
bringert: one standard protocol was required if we go thru the browser
18:03:48 [DanD]
Robert: how do evaluate Satish's proposal
18:05:10 [DanD]
Milan: if we can't access the audio and we have to do it thru the browser we need a common protocol
18:06:03 [DanD]
mbodell: we should not drop any requirements, evaluate the email conversation and determine if we need additional req
18:11:19 [DanD]
Milan: They should work consistently in all browsers
18:11:44 [Zakim]
-Satish_Sampath
18:14:47 [DanD]
mbodell: we already have a lot of req that we need to go back to
18:15:15 [DanD]
Milan: Can we have an update on the audio standards?
18:17:06 [DanD]
bringert: DAP is in early phases and we shoudl provide input to them
18:17:35 [smaug_]
DAP is not Device API
18:18:16 [burn]
smaug_, please explain
18:19:07 [DanD]
burn: there are several streaming protocols
18:19:28 [ddahl]
there is a Media Capture spec published by the W3C DAP group that we might want to look at http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/
18:20:41 [DanD]
Milan: how time sensitive is this?
18:20:53 [burn]
smaug_, so you mean that the work of the W3C Device API WG (group name called "DAP") is not the same as the Device API work in the WHATWG
18:22:19 [DanD]
bringert: we should start working with other groups and experiment
18:23:01 [DanD]
Robert: we need to determine what are our audio requirements
18:24:59 [DanD]
bringert: it should be web app to speech service requirement
18:25:13 [ddahl]
there's also a Media Capture API http://www.w3.org/TR/media-capture-api/, I'm not sure what the relationship is
18:25:13 [DanD]
mbodell: this is in conflict with other req
18:26:15 [DanD]
Milan: let's modify Robert's req about the codec
18:26:27 [burn]
s/other req/requirements FPR30 and FPR31/
18:27:23 [DanD]
mbodell: are there any req missing?
18:27:56 [DanD]
mbodell: are there any req that we havent talked and agreed on
18:28:24 [DanD]
burn: this week we need to close in any additional req
18:28:58 [DanD]
burn: Req 12 is agreed on
18:29:13 [DanD]
burn: based on lack of comments in email
18:29:37 [DanD]
mbodell: there was an action for me
18:30:12 [DanD]
burn: there was a request to write text to those requirements that don't have any description
18:31:18 [DanD]
mbodell: I'm a little bit nervous about writing text other than what was agreed in minutes and email
18:32:33 [DanD]
burn: I agree with Michael to be concerned about the wording
18:33:26 [DanD]
burn: the next step is to get in more detail and come with proposals
18:33:46 [DanD]
burn: wording might change
18:34:22 [DanD]
mbodell: some are self explanatory
18:34:48 [DanD]
mbodell: description should come part of the prioritazation
18:35:12 [DanD]
burn: if there are any missing req send them until next week
18:35:32 [Zakim]
-Robert_Brown
18:35:42 [DanD]
bringert: can we have a clean version of the requirements?
18:36:46 [DanD]
burn: Michael will clean up
18:36:53 [Zakim]
-Olli_Pettay
18:36:54 [Zakim]
-Milan_Young
18:36:54 [Zakim]
-Debbie_Dahl
18:36:56 [Zakim]
-Bjorn_Bringert
18:36:56 [Zakim]
-Michael_Bodell
18:37:00 [Zakim]
-Dan_Burnett
18:37:04 [bringert]
bringert has left #htmlspeech
18:42:00 [Zakim]
disconnecting the lone participant, Dan_Druta, in INC_(HTMLSPEECH)12:00PM
18:42:03 [Zakim]
INC_(HTMLSPEECH)12:00PM has ended
18:42:07 [Zakim]
Attendees were Michael_Bodell, Olli_Pettay, Dan_Burnett, Robert_Brown, Milan_Young, Debbie_Dahl, Dan_Druta, Satish_Sampath, Bjorn_Bringert
18:55:50 [burn]
zakim, bye
18:55:50 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #htmlspeech
18:55:57 [burn]
rrsagent, make log public
18:56:03 [burn]
rrsagent, draft minutes
18:56:03 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/12/09-htmlspeech-minutes.html burn