IRC log of webfonts on 2010-12-01

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:00:25 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #webfonts
15:00:25 [RRSAgent]
logging to
15:00:27 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
15:00:27 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #webfonts
15:00:29 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 3668
15:00:29 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see IA_Fonts()10:00AM scheduled to start now
15:00:30 [trackbot]
Meeting: WebFonts Working Group Teleconference
15:00:30 [trackbot]
Date: 01 December 2010
15:01:00 [Zakim]
IA_Fonts()10:00AM has now started
15:01:06 [Zakim]
15:01:50 [sylvaing]
sylvaing has joined #webfonts
15:02:06 [Zakim]
15:02:30 [ChrisL]
I started on a disposition of comments
15:02:31 [Zakim]
15:02:32 [erik]
erik has joined #webfonts
15:03:16 [Zakim]
+ +1.978.790.aaaa
15:03:39 [ChrisL]
zakim, aaaa is Vlad
15:03:39 [Zakim]
+Vlad; got it
15:04:19 [ChrisL]
zakim, who is here?
15:04:37 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Tal, ChrisL, tal.a, Vlad
15:04:51 [Zakim]
On IRC I see erik, sylvaing, Zakim, RRSAgent, tal, ChrisL, trackbot
15:05:30 [tal]
I had some phone trouble this morning, maybe zakim got confused by me calling in twice?
15:05:40 [erik]
I'm not able to call in today. I'll follow on IRC.
15:05:57 [ChrisL]
Vlad: having internet issues, will join shortly
15:07:26 [Zakim]
15:07:48 [Zakim]
15:09:11 [Vlad]
Vlad has joined #webfonts
15:10:33 [ChrisL]
Topic: epub update
15:10:43 [ChrisL]
scribenick: chrisl
15:11:16 [ChrisL]
Vlad: strong interest in woff support from many participants, but Adobe representative is against WOFF for epub
15:11:54 [ChrisL]
... if publishers want it, they will add it
15:12:50 [ChrisL]
... waiting for response from internal Adobe discussions. May be opposition was based on resource issues
15:13:13 [ChrisL]
Topic: woff metadata comments
15:14:03 [tal]
15:16:04 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: extensibility via namespaces is good for totally open extensibility
15:16:18 [ChrisL]
tal: we dont want it totally open ended
15:17:05 [ChrisL]
Vlad: want to not deviate too much from the original, and widely deployed, submission. This would be a breaking change
15:17:21 [ChrisL]
... and we do have an extensibility element
15:17:54 [ChrisL]
tal: fontshop and others are using woff with metadata - making all of those invalid is a problem
15:19:23 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: (explains last call process on getting a response back from commentor)
15:19:36 [ChrisL]
Vlad: dont like a breaking change
15:19:53 [ChrisL]
... dont want to invalidate the usage of early adopters
15:21:26 [ChrisL]
action: chris to respond to erik muller on namespaces in metadata
15:21:26 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-51 - Respond to erik muller on namespaces in metadata [on Chris Lilley - due 2010-12-08].
15:22:35 [ChrisL]
action: chris to respond to erik muller on pronunciation and sorting
15:22:35 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-52 - Respond to erik muller on pronunciation and sorting [on Chris Lilley - due 2010-12-08].
15:23:59 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: adding @url to license text elements is a good idea
15:24:54 [ChrisL]
(generally seem to be in favour of separate urls for license elements)
15:25:13 [ChrisL]
Vlad: additional metadata does not override the license
15:26:41 [ChrisL]
Vlad; link can point to a page with multiple further links
15:27:46 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: woff benefit is being explicit on license. prefer to have option for separate ones
15:27:59 [ChrisL]
Vlad: will discuss with Monotype legal
15:28:37 [ChrisL]
tal: nothing changes for existing users. it adds options
15:29:23 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: important that this is not a breaking change
15:30:21 [ChrisL]
Vlad: easier for distributors to use a single place provided by the font owner
15:31:36 [ChrisL]
tal: mentioned that url at top of license, so should allow to have no text below. some foundries want just a link, no text.
15:32:06 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: please send that as a separate comment
15:32:57 [ChrisL]
Vlad: spec is clear that the text in a license element is about the license, not a copy of the license
15:33:54 [ChrisL]
... better to have some text, for users
15:35:09 [ChrisL]
tal: made some fonts for a foundry and they said that they wanted just a url, no text
15:36:17 [ChrisL]
... spec currently says we need both
15:36:26 [ChrisL]
... should it be either/or
15:36:46 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: seems more reasonable to me
15:37:20 [ChrisL]
Topic: test plan issues
15:37:40 [ChrisL]
tal: do we neeed null bytes. some things like that came up in the test plan, they are in red
15:38:28 [ChrisL]
15:39:25 [ChrisL]
tal: in the process of doing the test plan, multiple spec read-thoughs turned up some issues.
15:39:41 [ChrisL]
... some are clear, like the file has to be long enough to contain the header
15:40:08 [ChrisL]
... if the flavour is in contradiction with the actual table data. spec is silent on that.
15:40:42 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: there are multiple flavours for truetype
15:41:16 [ChrisL]
tal: thses have caused problems for text engines before
15:41:46 [ChrisL]
Vlad: packaging mechanism is separate - if you package a broken thing, the package is not at fault
15:41:59 [ChrisL]
tal: jdaggett said list them all, so i did
15:42:24 [ChrisL]
Vlad: think that particular one is out of scope
15:43:11 [ChrisL]
tal: its additional tests
15:43:37 [ChrisL]
Vlad: may cross boundary between packaging and font sanitising
15:45:14 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: these are good for a validator, but in spme cases its not the woff spec that is violated but the OT spec
15:45:29 [ChrisL]
tal: some t=of these are crashing bugs for certain OS
15:45:59 [ChrisL]
tal: number of tables, needs to be parseable
15:46:29 [ChrisL]
tal: some are tagged as format bit also need to be UA conformance as well
15:47:27 [ChrisL]
... read the wiki pages
15:48:22 [ChrisL]
Vlad: anything here needs more discussion?
15:48:31 [ChrisL]
tal: tried to be very clear
15:49:24 [ChrisL]
Vlad: lets discuss on email and make resolutions next week on the red items
15:49:32 [ChrisL]
15:49:53 [ChrisL]
tal: have worked on infrastructure for tests
15:50:26 [ChrisL]
... have been reading the css testsuite documentation
15:51:04 [ChrisL]
15:51:11 [ChrisL]
zakim, list attendees
15:51:11 [Zakim]
As of this point the attendees have been Tal, ChrisL, +1.978.790.aaaa, Vlad
15:51:14 [ChrisL]
chair: vlad
15:52:18 [ChrisL]
(general appreciation for tal's work)
15:52:20 [ChrisL]
rrsagent, make minutes
15:52:20 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate ChrisL
15:52:27 [Zakim]
15:52:28 [Zakim]
15:52:28 [Zakim]
15:52:32 [tal]
tal has left #webfonts
15:52:33 [Zakim]
15:52:34 [Zakim]
IA_Fonts()10:00AM has ended
15:52:36 [Zakim]
Attendees were Tal, ChrisL, +1.978.790.aaaa, Vlad
18:00:26 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #webfonts