IRC log of webapps on 2010-12-01

Timestamps are in UTC.

18:02:13 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #webapps
18:02:13 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/12/01-webapps-irc
18:02:15 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
18:02:15 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #webapps
18:02:17 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be DOM3
18:02:17 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see IA_WebApps(DOM3)2:00PM scheduled to start in 58 minutes
18:02:18 [trackbot]
Meeting: Web Applications Working Group Teleconference
18:02:18 [trackbot]
Date: 01 December 2010
18:02:26 [Lachy]
Lachy has joined #webapps
18:02:48 [Zakim]
ok, shepazu; conference Team_(webapps)18:02Z scheduled with code 26632 (CONF2) for 60 minutes until 1902Z
18:03:10 [Zakim]
Team_(webapps)18:02Z has now started
18:03:10 [Zakim]
+Shepazu
18:03:47 [Zakim]
+??P0
18:03:48 [Zakim]
-??P0
18:03:48 [Zakim]
+??P0
18:03:51 [shepazu]
jrossi, Travis, smaug_, code is 26632
18:04:11 [smaug_]
Zakim, ??P0 is Olli_Pettay
18:04:11 [Zakim]
+Olli_Pettay; got it
18:04:22 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
18:04:37 [Travis]
Zakim: [microsoft] is Travis
18:04:48 [Travis]
Zakim [microsoft] is Travis
18:05:33 [smaug_]
Zakim, [Microsoft] is Travis
18:05:33 [Zakim]
+Travis; got it
18:07:01 [Travis]
shepazu: Let's talk larger scope...
18:08:28 [Travis]
... start 2nd last call in Jan?
18:08:42 [Lawouach]
Lawouach has joined #webapps
18:09:18 [Travis]
... not expecting large changes coming other than issues raised
18:09:32 [smaug_]
hmm
18:09:35 [smaug_]
connection problems
18:09:39 [smaug_]
now, back
18:10:01 [Travis]
... should have a story around mutation events (where they will be)
18:13:37 [Travis]
... should try to have a FPWD of new mutation events spec ready to point to
18:13:38 [Travis]
https://github.com/jeresig/nodelist
18:15:21 [anne]
anne has joined #webapps
18:15:38 [Travis]
see ".added(function), .removed( function)"
18:21:32 [Travis]
RESOLUTION: Contact JResig for using NodeList as a replacement for mutation events (to get it on a W3C standards track).
18:22:41 [Travis]
smaug_: We should ensure that DOMCharacterDataModified scenarios are handled as they are one of the most important.
18:24:32 [Travis]
shepazu: It might be that not all scenarios for mutation events fit into the same mold; we shouldn't feel like they must all fit.
18:27:44 [Travis]
scribe: Travis
18:27:48 [Travis]
scribeNick: Travis
18:28:04 [Travis]
shepazu: We've now started working on the Web Events WG.
18:28:15 [Travis]
... will cover both touch events and "high level" events.
18:28:33 [Travis]
... will likely resurrect "activate" in such a "high level" spec.
18:28:55 [Travis]
... realizes that not all browser vendors can join this group at this time.
18:29:33 [Travis]
... all browsers _are_ in the PF WG, so looking to have "high level" event spec as a joint-delieverable.
18:30:40 [shepazu]
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/Group/Drafts/1.1/intent-based-events.html
18:32:55 [sicking]
sicking has joined #webapps
18:33:10 [Travis]
Topic: Back to DOM L3 Events
18:33:37 [Travis]
shepazu: Making some prose updates to unify info on keyboard events
18:34:48 [Travis]
... Up next: integrating keyboard language info
18:37:39 [Travis]
jrossi: We'd like to focus on the keyboard language property and "3rd parameter to addEventListener being optional"
18:38:14 [smaug_]
let me try to re-call
18:38:17 [Zakim]
-Olli_Pettay
18:38:40 [Zakim]
+??P0
18:39:42 [Travis]
jrossi: IE9 updated to make this 3rd parameter optional, in part due to some sites not providing the parameter.
18:40:08 [smaug_]
Zakim, ??P0 is Olli_Pettay
18:40:08 [Zakim]
+Olli_Pettay; got it
18:40:50 [Travis]
smaug_: Apparently this was a bug in chrome that is now relied on in actual web pages :(
18:41:07 [Travis]
shepazu: I don't have a strong opinion either way
18:41:38 [miketaylr]
miketaylr has joined #webapps
18:42:51 [Travis]
smaug_: I don't really like it, but its OK to make it optional.
18:43:17 [Travis]
RESOLUTION: make the 3rd parameter to addEventListener/removeEventListener optional
18:46:46 [Travis]
shepazu: smaug_ what are your priorities?
18:47:27 [Zakim]
-Olli_Pettay
18:47:41 [Travis]
smaug_: Nothing is high priority as FF4 won't have many of these spec updates in it.
18:47:49 [Travis]
shepazu: Else from MS?
18:48:00 [Travis]
jrossi: Yes, we have a suggestion on keyboard locale info.
18:48:10 [smaug_]
great
18:48:10 [smaug_]
and sorry
18:48:21 [Travis]
... We're OK putting a property on an event, and skipping the static property.
18:48:28 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
18:48:54 [Travis]
... For TextInput event, we're not sure we can identify an input locale for the various input types that are possible.
18:49:02 [smaug_]
Zakim, [IPcaller] is Olli_Pettay
18:49:02 [Zakim]
+Olli_Pettay; got it
18:49:27 [Travis]
... We recommend moving the property from TextInput to CompositionEvent
18:49:49 [Travis]
... Pasted content (for example) could have content from multiple locales in it.
18:51:28 [Travis]
shepazu: We could put it in all three...
18:52:10 [Travis]
... It's an implementation problem-- 3 implementations across mutliple OS's might not be able to support it.
18:52:36 [Travis]
smaug_: Could we have KeyboardEvent and CompositionEvent have the property?
18:52:51 [Travis]
shepazu: Your argument makes sense
18:53:11 [Travis]
... We don't know of OS's that support it [identifying locale information for random text input]
18:53:41 [Travis]
... OK. Seems compelling to me. Esp.
18:54:34 [Travis]
RESOLUTION: Add "inputlocale" to KeyboardEvent and CompositionEvent (but not TextInput)
18:54:59 [Travis]
jrossi: How about simply "locale"?
18:55:04 [Travis]
... (It's simpler)
18:55:08 [Travis]
shepazu: OK.
18:56:15 [smaug_]
ok, my network connection is too bad to use
18:56:20 [smaug_]
now it is working again
18:56:22 [Travis]
smaug_: TextInput has "inputMethod", we could have "inputLocale" to be consistent.
18:57:31 [Travis]
shepazu: Will Microsoft send their comment to the list in response to this thread?
18:57:36 [Travis]
jrossi: Yes, will do.
18:58:34 [Zakim]
-Olli_Pettay
18:58:52 [Travis]
Travis: Where are we on LC comments?
18:58:58 [smaug_]
call dropped
18:59:04 [smaug_]
if there is still anything else, please ping me
19:00:05 [Travis]
shepazu: Prior to TPAC we reviewed the list; I don't think we have a lot of new issues.
19:02:03 [Travis]
Travis: RAISED=44, OPEN=7, PENDINGREVIEW=1
19:02:40 [Travis]
... 112 CLOSED
19:07:30 [Travis]
shepazu: Oh, one more thing (to talk about next week)...
19:08:07 [Travis]
... keyCode/charCode/which
19:11:11 [Travis]
shepazu: Until next week!
19:11:22 [Travis]
... send any related documentation my way
19:11:34 [Zakim]
-Travis
19:11:39 [Travis]
... jrossi, please send the inputLocal mail.
19:11:45 [Travis]
Bye!
19:11:45 [Zakim]
-Shepazu
19:11:46 [Zakim]
Team_(webapps)18:02Z has ended
19:11:47 [Zakim]
Attendees were Shepazu, Olli_Pettay, Travis
19:21:44 [Lachy]
Lachy has joined #webapps
19:59:44 [richt_]
richt_ has joined #webapps
20:04:05 [MikeSmith_]
MikeSmith_ has joined #webapps
20:07:18 [shepazu]
timeless_mbp: if you want to see any changes, you should send the review right away
20:08:06 [timeless_mbp]
shepazu: it'll have to be thursday or sunday, my day is almost over and i have a telcall at 12:30am + two other work items which i needed to do this week :(
20:21:49 [smaug_]
smaug_ has joined #webapps
20:45:52 [dydz]
dydz has joined #webapps
21:01:55 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #webapps
21:55:41 [smaug_]
smaug_ has joined #webapps
22:12:05 [sicking]
sicking has joined #webapps
22:12:21 [sicking]
sicking has joined #webapps
22:59:20 [homata]
homata has joined #webapps
23:22:38 [smaug_]
smaug_ has joined #webapps