IRC log of webperf on 2010-11-24

Timestamps are in UTC.

17:01:53 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #webperf
17:01:53 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-irc
17:02:15 [zhiheng]
zhiheng has joined #webperf
17:02:18 [Zakim]
+ +1.415.568.aabb
17:02:24 [plh]
zakim, aaaa is James
17:02:24 [Zakim]
+James; got it
17:02:39 [AndersonQuach]
meeting: Web Performance Working Group
17:02:58 [plh]
zakim, aabb is Christian
17:02:58 [Zakim]
+Christian; got it
17:03:07 [Zakim]
+ +1.650.691.aacc
17:03:09 [AndersonQuach]
agenda+ Follow-up on the window.performance namespace.
17:03:18 [AndersonQuach]
agenda+ Feedback on navigation timing.
17:03:24 [AndersonQuach]
agenda+ Follow-up on conformance testing practices.
17:03:26 [plh]
zakim, aacc is Zhiheng
17:03:26 [Zakim]
+Zhiheng; got it
17:03:43 [AndersonQuach]
agenda+ Resource Timing and User Timing.
17:03:50 [AndersonQuach]
agenda+ Any other business.
17:04:05 [Zakim]
+ +1.425.605.aadd
17:04:26 [AndersonQuach]
set logs world-visible
17:04:30 [AndersonQuach]
Zakim, set logs world-visible
17:04:30 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'set logs world-visible', AndersonQuach
17:04:31 [plh]
zakim, Microsoft has Andreson
17:04:32 [Zakim]
+Andreson; got it
17:04:39 [plh]
zakim, Microsoft has Anderson
17:04:39 [Zakim]
+Anderson; got it
17:04:39 [AndersonQuach]
rrsagent set logs world-visible
17:05:06 [AndersonQuach]
present+ Christian
17:05:12 [AndersonQuach]
present+ NicJansma
17:05:14 [AndersonQuach]
present+ Zhiheng
17:05:16 [plh]
zakim, aadd is Nik
17:05:16 [Zakim]
+Nik; got it
17:05:34 [AndersonQuach]
present+ plh
17:05:54 [AndersonQuach]
present+ JamesSimonsen
17:05:58 [plh]
Regrets+ Arvind
17:06:04 [AndersonQuach]
regrets+ JasonWeber
17:06:20 [AndersonQuach]
scribe: AndersonQuach
17:06:31 [AndersonQuach]
list the agenda
17:07:02 [AndersonQuach]
agenda+ introducing a new set of drafts
17:07:12 [NicJansma]
NicJansma has joined #webperf
17:12:25 [AndersonQuach]
move to agenda 3
17:12:33 [AndersonQuach]
topic: Follow-up on conformance testing practices.
17:12:44 [AndersonQuach]
Zhiheng: Following a model similar to HTML5 is using
17:12:59 [AndersonQuach]
Zhiheng: Get the repository set up.
17:15:10 [AndersonQuach]
Zhiheng: Sent mail about best practices, two stage process: Submission, Approval.
17:15:32 [AndersonQuach]
AndersonQuach
17:15:41 [AndersonQuach]
AndersonQuach: Can http headers be changed?
17:15:57 [AndersonQuach]
plh: yes, servers are being updated to handle these requirements. Migration to finish in a couple of weeks.
17:16:46 [AndersonQuach]
plh: Look into XMLHttpRequest test suites for best practices. Not yet in place. Name of the server in a couple weeks. XHR tests are on Opera servers. I can try to find a link.
17:18:04 [AndersonQuach]
AndersonQuach: Test existing of attributes, relative ordering of tests, cross-domain tests.
17:18:59 [AndersonQuach]
plh: Make sure tests are automated.
17:19:23 [AndersonQuach]
AndersonQuach: may not be possible across all agents for navigation type.
17:19:36 [AndersonQuach]
Zhiheng: Can we use automation UI software to drive browser input.
17:19:48 [AndersonQuach]
plh: Probably not, that would require software on the desktop.
17:20:18 [AndersonQuach]
Zhiheng: Cross-domain question, what are the new domains for the test servers?
17:20:23 [AndersonQuach]
plh: Let me check that.
17:20:40 [plh]
w3c-test.org
17:21:32 [plh]
test1.w3c-test.org
17:21:36 [plh]
test2.w3c-test.org
17:21:45 [AndersonQuach]
Zhiheng: we need two different top-level domain.
17:23:03 [plh]
ACTION: plh to investigate having two top-level domains
17:23:03 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-5 - Investigate having two top-level domains [on Philippe Le H├ęgaret - due 2010-12-01].
17:23:28 [AndersonQuach]
plh: Next step, someone write one test and review it.
17:23:41 [AndersonQuach]
AndersonQuach: We can look into following up with this.
17:23:51 [AndersonQuach]
Zhiheng: TonyG has some tests he would like to submit.
17:23:55 [AndersonQuach]
regrets+ TonyG
17:24:15 [AndersonQuach]
Zhiheng: next meeting let's review and go through the approval process for new test cases.
17:24:43 [AndersonQuach]
plh: one more question about two top-level domain.
17:26:30 [AndersonQuach]
AndersonQuach: for testing of privacy requirements, within server side redirect chains.
17:26:47 [AndersonQuach]
plh: we can set this up when the test server comes online.
17:26:55 [plh]
close action-5
17:26:55 [trackbot]
ACTION-5 Investigate having two top-level domains closed
17:27:22 [AndersonQuach]
JamesSimonsen: Tony and I are adverse to using public suffix +1
17:27:45 [AndersonQuach]
move to agenda 2
17:27:56 [AndersonQuach]
topic+ Feedback on navigation timing.
17:28:46 [AndersonQuach]
JamesSimonsen: Sub-domains may be hosted on different servers.
17:32:05 [plh]
--> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JulSep/0602.html XmlHttpRequest Test Suite
17:35:02 [AndersonQuach]
AndersonQuach has joined #webperf
17:36:16 [Zakim]
+ +200000aaee
17:38:18 [AndersonQuach]
JamesSimonsen: Same problem with app hosting sites as with Top Level domain.
17:38:20 [plh]
zakim, aaee is Simon
17:38:20 [Zakim]
+Simon; got it
17:38:28 [plh]
Present+ Simon
17:41:48 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html plh
17:42:15 [plh]
Chair: Anderson
17:42:55 [plh]
s/topic\+ Feedback/Topic: Feedback/
17:43:04 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html plh
17:43:35 [plh]
s/topic+ Feedback/Topic: Feedback/
17:43:38 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html plh
17:45:17 [zcorpan]
zcorpan has joined #webperf
17:46:12 [Zakim]
-Simon
17:47:30 [Zakim]
+??P13
17:48:12 [AndersonQuach]
NicJansma: With the poll being 50 / 50 what's the decision we want to lock down towards.
17:48:31 [AndersonQuach]
Zhiheng, JamesSimonsen: FQDN would be the most conservative.
17:48:39 [AndersonQuach]
Zhiheng: Although I want to increase the usefulness.
17:51:34 [plh]
zakim, ??p13 is Simon
17:51:34 [Zakim]
+Simon; got it
17:54:35 [AndersonQuach]
list the agenda
17:55:25 [AndersonQuach]
AndersonQuach: let's move towards the default decision of being conservative, pending input from other user agents to lock down on the spec.
17:55:38 [AndersonQuach]
topic: introducing a new set of drafts
17:55:53 [AndersonQuach]
Anderson:Quach Let's aim to get feedback submitted by 11/29 to push a working draft by 11/30.
17:56:11 [AndersonQuach]
Zhiheng: I want to submit a new working draft by the end of the month.
17:56:19 [AndersonQuach]
move to agenda 1
17:56:26 [AndersonQuach]
topic: Follow-up on the window.performance namespace.
17:56:59 [AndersonQuach]
AndersonQuach: Let's reserach the proposed names and probability of it being hit on web content.
18:00:02 [zcorpan]
another thing a college wanted to get across regarding testing is a wish to use the same harness as the HTMLWG and WebApps:
18:00:02 [zcorpan]
http://test.w3.org/resources/testharness.js
18:00:39 [zhiheng]
yes, that makes sense.
18:00:50 [zhiheng]
I think that's what HTML WG using as well.
18:02:15 [plh]
yes it is
18:02:55 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html plh
18:03:05 [Zakim]
-Plh
18:04:10 [Zakim]
-James
18:04:11 [Zakim]
-Nik
18:04:13 [Zakim]
-Christian
18:04:16 [Zakim]
-Simon
18:04:18 [AndersonQuach]
Christian: Sounds like a safe approach to use the FQDN, however less useful for web developres.
18:04:27 [Zakim]
-[Microsoft]
18:04:57 [Zakim]
-Zhiheng
18:04:58 [Zakim]
RWC_web-per(WPWG)12:00PM has ended
18:04:59 [zcorpan]
zcorpan has left #webperf
18:05:00 [Zakim]
Attendees were Plh, +1.650.214.aaaa, +1.415.568.aabb, James, Christian, +1.650.691.aacc, Zhiheng, +1.425.605.aadd, Andreson, Anderson, Nik, +200000aaee, Simon
18:05:07 [zcorpan]
zcorpan has joined #webperf
18:07:17 [zcorpan]
zcorpan has left #webperf
18:17:15 [AndersonQuach]
topic: Summary
18:17:32 [AndersonQuach]
1. Let's prepare a test case to review for the next Web performance meeting.
18:18:02 [AndersonQuach]
2. Get a working draft published by 11/30. Feedback to be provided by EOD 11/29.
18:21:07 [AndersonQuach]
3. Anderson to research the probability of namespace collisions for the suggested alternatives.
18:21:18 [AndersonQuach]
4. JamesSimonsen to post feedback on resource timing proposals.
18:21:59 [AndersonQuach]
[Decision] moving foward with the conservative approach of FQDN for the definition of 'Same Origin' as specified in the HTML5 spec. Need to get feedback from other user agents.
18:23:19 [AndersonQuach]
rrsagent, generate minutes
18:23:19 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html AndersonQuach
18:44:13 [Christian]
Christian has joined #webperf