IRC log of dap on 2010-11-17

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:14:15 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #dap
14:14:15 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/11/17-dap-irc
14:14:17 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:14:17 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #dap
14:14:19 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be DAP
14:14:19 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see UW_DAP()10:00AM scheduled to start in 46 minutes
14:14:20 [trackbot]
Meeting: Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference
14:14:20 [trackbot]
Date: 17 November 2010
14:14:54 [fjh]
Regrets+ John_Morris, Marco_Marengo, Suresh_Chitturi
14:15:36 [fjh]
Regrets+ Robin_Berjon
14:24:09 [soonho]
soonho has joined #dap
14:24:42 [soonho]
Present+ Soonho_Lee
14:27:20 [Marcos]
Marcos has joined #dap
14:39:57 [fjh]
fjh has joined #dap
14:40:06 [fjh]
Chair: Frederick_Hirsch
14:40:15 [fjh]
Present+ Frederick_Hirsch
14:40:24 [fjh]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Nov/0049.html
14:41:30 [fjh]
Regrets+ Claes_Nilsson
14:56:36 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has now started
14:56:43 [Zakim]
+??P0
14:56:46 [fjh]
zakim, ??P0 is me
14:56:46 [Zakim]
+fjh; got it
14:58:44 [cmarc]
cmarc has joined #dap
14:58:54 [cmarc]
Present+ Cecile_Marc
14:59:36 [dom]
Zakim, code?
14:59:36 [Zakim]
the conference code is 3279 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.26.46.79.03 tel:+44.203.318.0479), dom
14:59:46 [dom]
dom has changed the topic to: Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Nov/0049.html
15:00:10 [Zakim]
+ +358.504.86aaaa
15:00:10 [Zakim]
+Dom
15:00:20 [ilkka]
zakim, aaaa is ilkka
15:00:20 [Zakim]
+ilkka; got it
15:00:21 [dom]
Present+ Dominique_Hazael-Massieux
15:00:29 [ilkka]
Present+ Ilkka_Oksanen
15:00:31 [dom]
Zakim, who's on the phone?
15:00:31 [Zakim]
On the phone I see fjh, ilkka, Dom
15:00:43 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:00:43 [Zakim]
On the phone I see fjh, ilkka, Dom
15:00:44 [Zakim]
On IRC I see cmarc, fjh, Marcos, soonho, Zakim, RRSAgent, JonathanJ, richt, wmaslowski, ilkka, lgombos, trackbot, dom
15:01:07 [richt]
richt has joined #dap
15:01:36 [maoteo]
maoteo has joined #dap
15:01:55 [maoteo]
Present+ Maria_Oteo
15:02:19 [Zakim]
+ +1.781.266.aabb
15:03:27 [dom]
Zakim, aabb probably Cathy_Chan
15:03:28 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'aabb probably Cathy_Chan', dom
15:03:34 [dom]
Zakim, aabb is probably Cathy_Chan
15:03:34 [Zakim]
+Cathy_Chan?; got it
15:03:41 [AnssiK]
AnssiK has joined #dap
15:03:55 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:03:55 [Zakim]
On the phone I see fjh, ilkka, Dom, Cathy_Chan?
15:03:56 [Zakim]
On IRC I see AnssiK, maoteo, richt, cmarc, fjh, Marcos, soonho, Zakim, RRSAgent, JonathanJ, wmaslowski, ilkka, lgombos, trackbot, dom
15:04:15 [nwidell]
nwidell has joined #dap
15:04:19 [cathy]
cathy has joined #dap
15:04:43 [Zakim]
+ +358.504.86aacc
15:04:45 [Zakim]
+ +34.97.421.aadd
15:04:46 [AnssiK]
Present+ Anssi_Kostiainen
15:04:53 [AnssiK]
zakim, aacc is AnssiK
15:04:53 [Zakim]
+AnssiK; got it
15:05:05 [Zakim]
+ +46.1.07.15.aaee
15:05:10 [Zakim]
+??P8
15:05:15 [maoteo]
Zakim, aadd is maoteo
15:05:15 [Zakim]
+maoteo; got it
15:05:18 [jgiraud]
jgiraud has joined #dap
15:05:18 [cathy]
Present+ Cathy_Chan
15:05:26 [nwidell]
Zakim, aaee is nwidell
15:05:26 [Zakim]
+nwidell; got it
15:05:33 [nwidell]
Present+ Niklas_Widell
15:05:36 [jgiraud]
Present+ Jerome_Giraud
15:06:05 [dcoloma]
dcoloma has joined #dap
15:06:14 [dcoloma]
Present+ Daniel_Coloma
15:06:41 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:06:41 [Zakim]
On the phone I see fjh, ilkka, Dom, Cathy_Chan?, AnssiK, maoteo, nwidell, ??P8
15:06:43 [Zakim]
On IRC I see dcoloma, jgiraud, cathy, nwidell, AnssiK, maoteo, richt, cmarc, fjh, Marcos, soonho, Zakim, RRSAgent, JonathanJ, wmaslowski, ilkka, lgombos, trackbot, dom
15:07:38 [Zakim]
+ +44.757.091.aaff
15:07:46 [richt]
zakim, aaff is me
15:07:46 [Zakim]
+richt; got it
15:07:51 [Zakim]
+ +1.781.534.aagg
15:07:53 [richt]
Present+ Richard_Tibbett
15:08:19 [soonho]
Zakim, ??P8 is soonho
15:08:19 [Zakim]
+soonho; got it
15:08:20 [lgombos]
Present+ Laszlo_Gombos
15:08:23 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:08:23 [Zakim]
On the phone I see fjh, ilkka, Dom, Cathy_Chan?, AnssiK, maoteo, nwidell, soonho, richt, +1.781.534.aagg
15:08:25 [Zakim]
On IRC I see dcoloma, jgiraud, cathy, nwidell, AnssiK, maoteo, richt, cmarc, fjh, Marcos, soonho, Zakim, RRSAgent, JonathanJ, wmaslowski, ilkka, lgombos, trackbot, dom
15:08:28 [dom]
Zakim, aagg is probably Laszlo
15:08:28 [Zakim]
+Laszlo?; got it
15:08:48 [lgombos]
zakim, aagg is me
15:08:48 [Zakim]
sorry, lgombos, I do not recognize a party named 'aagg'
15:09:07 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:09:07 [Zakim]
On the phone I see fjh, ilkka, Dom, Cathy_Chan?, AnssiK, maoteo, nwidell, soonho, richt, Laszlo?
15:09:09 [Zakim]
On IRC I see dcoloma, jgiraud, cathy, nwidell, AnssiK, maoteo, richt, cmarc, fjh, Marcos, soonho, Zakim, RRSAgent, JonathanJ, wmaslowski, ilkka, lgombos, trackbot, dom
15:09:15 [maoteo]
scribeNick: maoteo
15:09:21 [dom]
Zakim, aagg is really lgombos
15:09:21 [Zakim]
sorry, dom, I do not recognize a party named 'aagg'
15:09:28 [dom]
Zakim, laszlo is really lgombos
15:09:28 [Zakim]
+lgombos; got it
15:09:32 [Zakim]
+Vincent_Mahe
15:10:04 [maoteo]
TOPIC: Administrativia
15:10:06 [fjh]
If you attended this year's TPAC meeting, the W3C created a related survey for your feedback: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/tpac2010-feedback/
15:10:19 [fjh]
2011 1H publishing moratorium 13-18 May, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-apis/2010Nov/0006.html
15:10:29 [maoteo]
fjh: there is a survey for getting feedback about TPAC
15:10:43 [maoteo]
fjh: can we approve the F2F minutes?
15:10:58 [maoteo]
TOPIC: Minutes approval
15:11:01 [fjh]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Nov/att-0047/minutes-2010-11-04.html
15:11:01 [fjh]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Nov/att-0047/minutes-2010-11-05.html
15:11:16 [maoteo]
RESOLUTION: The F2F minutes were approved
15:11:26 [maoteo]
TOPIC: Media Capture API
15:11:33 [fjh]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Nov/0048.html
15:11:53 [maoteo]
ilkka: sent a summary to the mailing list about the changes done
15:11:54 [fjh]
http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/Overview-API.html
15:12:07 [maoteo]
... the biggest change is about supported video/audio formats
15:12:08 [fjh]
In a nutshell Capture API is not anymore using MediaFileData interface
15:12:08 [fjh]
from HTML Media Capture spec as MediaFileData can't describe well
15:12:08 [fjh]
available image, audio and video modes. To replace MediaFileData I added
15:12:09 [fjh]
new ConfigurationData interface that currently contains height, width,
15:12:09 [fjh]
and MIME type attributes.
15:12:26 [fjh]
dditionally user of the API is now able to select one of the available
15:12:26 [fjh]
image/audio/video modes while starting the capture process. Updated
15:12:27 [fjh]
example illustrates this.
15:12:41 [fjh]
s/dditionally/Additionally
15:13:46 [maoteo]
... users can select the supported mode for image/audio/video
15:13:55 [maoteo]
... with the latest version of the spec.
15:14:43 [maoteo]
... Another change is that former API used MediaFileData
15:15:11 [maoteo]
... that was not very well suited for capture API, so I have added a separate interface for that.
15:15:56 [AnssiK]
q+ to ask about default mode
15:16:27 [fjh]
ack AnssiK
15:16:27 [Zakim]
AnssiK, you wanted to ask about default mode
15:16:28 [maoteo]
fjh: is it stable now, should we launch a CFC?
15:17:08 [maoteo]
AnssiK: should we specify the default mode in case no mode is specified by developer? or should it be decided by the implementors?
15:17:43 [maoteo]
ilkka: currently no default mode concept, if the parameter is not present, the behaviour is not specified.
15:17:55 [maoteo]
... it may make sense to specify it.
15:18:45 [maoteo]
AnssiK: How can I know the characteristics of a mode without launching the capture method?
15:19:50 [Zakim]
-nwidell
15:20:29 [Zakim]
+nwidell
15:20:29 [maoteo]
fjh: do we need any changes in the API to address AnssiK coments?
15:20:40 [maoteo]
AnssiK: no changes required, happy as it is
15:21:08 [maoteo]
fjh: suggestion, one extra week to review it and decide to go for CFC during next call
15:22:00 [maoteo]
ilkka: No rush to publish a media capture API as it was published recently
15:22:14 [maoteo]
s/publish a/publish a new/
15:22:31 [maoteo]
TOPIC: Sysinfo
15:22:41 [fjh]
ACTION-294?
15:22:41 [trackbot]
ACTION-294 -- Richard Tibbett to create an editors draft for new proposed network connection API -- due 2010-11-11 -- OPEN
15:22:41 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/294
15:22:57 [maoteo]
fjh: There was an action to create a new draft based on a new model (294)
15:23:11 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:23:11 [Zakim]
On the phone I see fjh, ilkka, Dom, Cathy_Chan?, AnssiK, maoteo, soonho, richt, lgombos, Vincent_Mahe, nwidell
15:23:13 [Zakim]
On IRC I see dcoloma, jgiraud, cathy, nwidell, AnssiK, maoteo, richt, cmarc, fjh, Marcos, soonho, Zakim, RRSAgent, JonathanJ, wmaslowski, ilkka, lgombos, trackbot, dom
15:23:48 [maoteo]
cannot hear what richt is saying
15:23:55 [maoteo]
can you please summarize in IRC
15:24:46 [maoteo]
richt: I will create a new proposal for this API, there is a lot of work to be done
15:25:19 [maoteo]
... an API only for network connection might be simpler
15:25:24 [fjh]
general agreement that no consensus at this point
15:25:43 [maoteo]
fjh: Need to wait for richt proposal
15:25:49 [maoteo]
TOPIC: Contacts
15:26:11 [dom]
http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/Writer.html
15:26:16 [dom]
(also linked from DAP home page)
15:26:17 [maoteo]
fjh: is there an editor's draft for contacts writing?
15:26:28 [maoteo]
richt: I sent an e-mail with the info
15:26:48 [maoteo]
... available at http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/Writer.html
15:26:56 [dom]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Nov/0002.html
15:27:08 [richt]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Nov/0027.html
15:27:25 [maoteo]
... the e-mail is available at: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Nov/0027.html
15:28:05 [maoteo]
... this is for creating a Contact Blob Writer
15:28:19 [maoteo]
... Now we have two competing ways to write contacts.
15:28:39 [richt]
Contact Blob Writer spec is here: http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/BlobWriter.html
15:28:48 [maoteo]
fjh: can somebody take an action to review it?
15:28:54 [dom]
ACTION: Dom to review Contact Blob writer proposal http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/BlobWriter.html
15:28:54 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-306 - Review Contact Blob writer proposal http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/BlobWriter.html [on Dominique Hazaƫl-Massieux - due 2010-11-24].
15:29:02 [maoteo]
dom: I can review the new API
15:30:08 [maoteo]
richt: It would be good to stabilize the API and go soon for a Last Call
15:30:25 [maoteo]
... and start working on test cases
15:30:33 [fjh]
plan to publish updated WD of contacts api, http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/Overview.html
15:30:42 [maoteo]
dom: what is preventing us from going to last call at this stage?
15:31:13 [fjh]
q+ to ask about testing changes before Last Call
15:31:23 [dom]
there are 5 open issues with Contacts API http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/products/5
15:31:24 [maoteo]
richt: The reader side at least is quite solid
15:32:42 [maoteo]
dom: the only problem could be still having open issues on the API
15:32:48 [fjh]
need to review issues related to contacts before last call
15:32:52 [fjh]
q?
15:32:54 [fjh]
q-
15:33:45 [fjh]
action: rich to send email to list with resolutions for open issues against contacts, clarifying status
15:33:45 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - rich
15:33:53 [maoteo]
richt: I will review the open issues and send an e-mail
15:34:03 [fjh]
action: richt to send email to list with resolutions for open issues against contacts, clarifying status
15:34:03 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-307 - Send email to list with resolutions for open issues against contacts, clarifying status [on Richard Tibbett - due 2010-11-24].
15:34:57 [maoteo]
fjh: Can we do a CFC via e-mail or do we need to wait for next call?
15:35:09 [JonathanJ]
JonathanJ has left #DAP
15:35:12 [maoteo]
... for the Last Call of the Contacts API.
15:36:20 [maoteo]
fjh: none of the chairs will be around next week, so it may be better to wait for the following call
15:36:45 [maoteo]
dom: I suggest to wait for the review of the open issues before deciding what to do
15:37:02 [richt]
dom, agreed
15:37:27 [fjh]
next steps: rich to send closure of contacts issues, WG and chairs to review and agree, then CfC for Last Call for Contacts API
15:38:10 [maoteo]
TOPIC: Messaging
15:38:40 [fjh]
parameterization deferred, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Nov/0052.html
15:38:43 [dom]
ACTION-302?
15:38:43 [trackbot]
ACTION-302 -- Maria Angeles Oteo to morph Messaging API into an API that wraps URI schemes options and adds attachment/success callback, and split off subscription -- due 2010-11-12 -- OPEN
15:38:43 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/302
15:38:46 [maoteo]
fjh: is the parameterization deferred?
15:40:05 [maoteo]
maoteo: I have distributed the proposal with the other editors
15:40:11 [fjh]
maria- plan to publish update later this week
15:40:14 [maoteo]
... could upload it to the CVS by end of this week
15:40:31 [maoteo]
TOPIC: Other APIs
15:40:38 [maoteo]
fjh: Gallery, any update?
15:41:04 [maoteo]
TOPIC: Security and Privacy
15:41:20 [maoteo]
fjh: no concrete actions or updates at this point
15:42:00 [maoteo]
TOPIC: Interop and testing
15:42:06 [fjh]
Information on WebApps/HTML5 javascript framework
15:42:13 [dom]
http://test.w3.org/resources/testharness.js
15:42:29 [dom]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-testsuite/2010Nov/
15:42:40 [dom]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-testsuite/2010Nov/0055.html
15:42:46 [maoteo]
fjh: Do we have something we should share with regards to the test framework?
15:43:15 [maoteo]
dom: There has been already some discussions on the html testsuite mailing list
15:43:34 [fjh]
to see your actions, use http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/users/my
15:43:45 [maoteo]
TOPIC: Actions
15:44:03 [maoteo]
fjh: you can can check them on http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/users/my
15:44:41 [maoteo]
fjh: where are we with regards to the Calendar discussions?
15:45:02 [maoteo]
richt: we have an action to rewrite the calendar API, based in x-calendar
15:45:10 [maoteo]
... it is quite a long specification
15:45:36 [maoteo]
... I cannot dedicate all the time it needs
15:46:17 [richt]
If someone else would like to work on the Calendar API, please step forward!
15:46:30 [maoteo]
fjh: No call next week
15:46:41 [richt]
I will certainly continue to assist with optimisations that we have in e.g. Contacts API (i.e. data minimization, etc).
15:46:45 [maoteo]
... next call will take place 1st December
15:46:57 [Zakim]
-AnssiK
15:46:59 [Zakim]
-Dom
15:47:01 [Zakim]
-richt
15:47:02 [Zakim]
-maoteo
15:47:02 [Zakim]
-ilkka
15:47:04 [Zakim]
-nwidell
15:47:04 [Zakim]
-Cathy_Chan?
15:47:05 [Zakim]
-fjh
15:47:05 [Zakim]
-lgombos
15:47:11 [Zakim]
-Vincent_Mahe
15:47:12 [fjh]
rrsagent, generate minutes
15:47:12 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/11/17-dap-minutes.html fjh
15:47:42 [Zakim]
-soonho
15:47:43 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has ended
15:47:45 [Zakim]
Attendees were fjh, +358.504.86aaaa, Dom, ilkka, +1.781.266.aabb, Cathy_Chan?, +358.504.86aacc, +34.97.421.aadd, AnssiK, +46.1.07.15.aaee, maoteo, nwidell, +44.757.091.aaff, richt,
15:47:48 [Zakim]
... +1.781.534.aagg, soonho, Laszlo?, lgombos, Vincent_Mahe
17:48:28 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #dap