IRC log of pling on 2010-10-12

Timestamps are in UTC.

11:59:15 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #pling
11:59:15 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/10/12-pling-irc
11:59:26 [rigo]
RRSAgent, please set log public
11:59:35 [rigo]
zakim, this will be pling
11:59:35 [Zakim]
ok, rigo; I see P3P_PLING()8:00AM scheduled to start in 1 minute
12:00:53 [Zakim]
P3P_PLING()8:00AM has now started
12:01:00 [Zakim]
+??P5
12:01:17 [renato]
i'm on the call...
12:01:20 [Ashok]
Ashok has joined #pling
12:01:49 [rigo]
zakim, ??P5 is Renato
12:01:49 [Zakim]
+Renato; got it
12:02:02 [Zakim]
+??P6
12:02:15 [rigo]
zakim, ??P6 is Rigo
12:02:16 [Zakim]
+Rigo; got it
12:03:16 [renato]
ashok - will u be calling in?
12:04:07 [Ashok]
dialing .../
12:04:26 [Zakim]
+Ashok_Malhotra
12:06:55 [renato]
First Report from Privacy and data usage control - Rigo
12:07:01 [renato]
http://www.w3.org/2010/policy-ws/
12:07:07 [rigo]
http://www.w3.org/2010/policy-ws/agenda.html
12:07:17 [renato]
well attended
12:07:36 [renato]
tbl was there for 2 days (!)
12:08:19 [renato]
first day - Frederick Hirsch introduced DAP issues
12:08:39 [renato]
absence of legal people
12:08:57 [renato]
...in the london workshop
12:09:43 [renato]
real life issues from a telco....combine FB + AddressBook etc - real issues
12:10:29 [renato]
everybody who as an AD and Web browser is a "data controller"
12:11:45 [renato]
data protection directives....developers do not know the boundaries
12:12:23 [renato]
need clear rules...good behaviour needed
12:13:07 [renato]
EG: use of MAC address to find me....going beyond "expectations"
12:13:49 [renato]
Nick Doty paper: simple policy negotiation mechanism
12:14:57 [renato]
Suggestion: serialise P3P in JSON vocab - combine resulting semantics with Nick's work...
12:15:58 [renato]
more research in UI....more guidelines....W3C needs to change the paradigm of the hand-off of the UI....
12:16:30 [renato]
in Privacy...we (w3c) needs to more proactive and making UI more "aware"
12:17:04 [renato]
Michael Hart paper: simple tagging system - resulting tag cloud was pretty precise
12:17:28 [renato]
2nd Day - shaped by prez by Hal Abelson
12:18:00 [rigo]
http://www.w3.org/2010/api-privacy-ws/papers/privacy-ws-37.html
12:18:22 [renato]
Asks: "why are we doing all that"
12:18:47 [renato]
Principle: I expect that this will not harm me....we need to protect these
12:19:06 [renato]
EG: getting sacked for posting unsavoury photos on SN
12:19:54 [renato]
Combine with Data Usage Rules - eg bar the HR dept from using this content
12:20:55 [renato]
Solutions proposed by Yang + Jae (simple approach)
12:21:28 [renato]
David Chadwick paper: lots of XACML work....complicated
12:21:35 [renato]
Truth - in the middle
12:22:42 [renato]
Market in the data-usage control (back end)
12:22:56 [renato]
At the front end - market not so clear
12:23:07 [renato]
How to get them to care?
12:23:39 [renato]
Conclusion: propose a lightweight access to the API
12:24:10 [renato]
What is the link between all these workshop?
12:24:26 [rigo]
http://www.w3.org/News/2010.html#entry-8902
12:25:41 [rigo]
http://www.iab.org/about/workshops/privacy
12:26:01 [renato]
IAB workshop will be "broader"
12:26:48 [renato]
IETF required a "security" section in all RFCs....perhaps need a "Privacy" section too...
12:28:00 [renato]
Mac Address issue - rigo to post link to public-policy list
12:29:21 [rigo]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-privacy/
12:32:36 [renato]
MAWG Feedback - RI to respond - "we are not happy" - but will not hold u up....
12:34:10 [renato]
Meeting closed
12:43:05 [Zakim]
-Rigo
12:43:07 [Zakim]
-Renato
12:43:08 [Zakim]
-Ashok_Malhotra
12:43:08 [Zakim]
P3P_PLING()8:00AM has ended
12:43:10 [Zakim]
Attendees were Renato, Rigo, Ashok_Malhotra
12:43:22 [rigo]
RRSAgent, please draft minutes
12:43:22 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/10/12-pling-minutes.html rigo
12:43:33 [rigo]
zakim, bye
12:43:33 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #pling
12:43:39 [rigo]
rrsagent, bye
12:43:39 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items