Provenance Incubator Group Teleconference

08 Oct 2010


See also: IRC log


Yolanda Gil
paul groth


<trackbot> Date: 08 October 2010

<scribe> Scribe: paul groth

<scribe> ScribeNick: pgroth

<YolandaGil> Hi Paul, I made it :)

<YolandaGil> Thanks

yolanda, everything is started

<jcheney> having trouble with phone

<YolandaGil> thanks Paul!

<Luc> i hear Jun well

<jcheney> I can hear Jun

<DGarijo> yeah I can

<YolandaGil> ok, sorry, i need to call back then

Jun: presenting data.gov.uk provenance requirements

<jcheney> http://www.slideshare.net/junzhao/2010-10-provxgdatagovuk

<jun> http://www.slideshare.net/junzhao/2010-10-provxgdatagovuk

See above slides for presentation

jun: slide 4: xslt process for converting data
... this is a complex activity, lots of different types of files
... need to capture the details about what happened
... common thing they don't know where to put the details of process
... slide 5- another typical practice of creating linked data
... where to attach provenance information
... don't currently have guidance on where to attache provenance information
... slide 6 - complex pipeline similar to a workflow environemtn
... slide 7 - not straightforward to model all the provenance in OPM
... slide 8 - need to track the provenance of non-digital objects
... slide 8 - nice feature of OPM is that it represents not only data but also the physical world
... slide 9: challenges of the data.gov.uk use case
... slide 10: summarize the gaps
... need a vocabulary, guidance, tool support, extensions
... slide 11 - opmv is simpler than opm
... slide 12 - design rational - straightforward implementation, lightweight, reuse existing SW technologies
... there are potential problems with named graphs... but data.gov.uk uses Named Graphs a lot
... need to be aware of this when using opmv
... only core opm terms are definied in the core vocabulary, opmv includes 4 extensions to opmv
... presenting examples of usage of opmv, from slide 15 to 18
... discuss the difference between dublic core provenance and opmv provenance, for some things opmv is more verbose
... slide 17, describing the changes in an organization, organization ontology uses opmv
... slide 19 - opmv is lightweight but has less semantics than the opm owl serialization
... opmv is basically a vocabulary
... plans for opmv and decentralized development
... extremely important to have guidance on how to publish provenance
... currently writing this guidnace
... data.gov.uk team like the vocabulary because it's easy to understand
... data.gov.uk has not yet used provenance in production, still need tooling support
... data.gov.uk - don't know where provenance info will be used

<YolandaGil> +q

discussion about the need for annotations

in opmv you can add annotations to nodes, not the edges

yolandagil: asks about accessing provenance information

jun: haven't reached an agreement in data.gov.uk
... two options - 1) named graphs with properties 2) extend http header to access provenance
... data.gov.uk hasn't gone into technical details

<Luc> i have been kicked out again, dialing in

yolandagil: what kind of tools do they need

jun: don't mind of visualization; but need tools for generation;

<Luc> back in

yolanda: why don't they use a workflow system for that?

jun: they use scripts, or custom software

luc: opm inferences now defined in owl
... opm ontology (opmo) is an extension of opm vocabulary (opmv)
... can convert opmo to opmv

jun: very excited about the alignment with opmo and opmv
... e.g. data.gov.uk are

discussion about the relation between the opmo and opmv


<YolandaGil> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki/Final_Report_Draft

<Luc> kicked out again

yolanda: going over the final report draft
... going around the call to get thoughts on the final repoort
... what should be the recommendation is it something else than creating a working group

dgarijo: working on bibbase collection and agrees with report

jcheney: still catching up
... revising email with his thoughts
... working group sounds resonable but still catching up

jun: wants to know discussion on web architecture to have more concrete recommendations
... supports the rec for a working group

luc: likes the report structure, very supportative of a rec for working group

pgroth: mentions social web incubator group report, yes for rec for working group

simon: likes structure. should give intuition about the use case we covered, and yes for a well defined for working group

rrsagen, set log public

<YolandaGil> Paul: can you post the minutes? got to go to the airport!


<YolandaGil> THANK YOU!!!

trackbot, end telecon

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/10/08 16:12:26 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: paul groth
Found ScribeNick: pgroth

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Luc Paul ScribeNick dgarijo jcheney joined jun pgroth prov-xg simon smiles trackbot yolanda yolandagil
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-prov/2010Oct/0000.html
Found Date: 08 Oct 2010
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/10/08-prov-xg-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]