IRC log of egov on 2010-09-17

Timestamps are in UTC.

11:54:30 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #egov
11:54:30 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-irc
11:54:32 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
11:54:32 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #egov
11:54:34 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be EGOV
11:54:34 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see T&S_EGOV(LD Demo)8:00AM scheduled to start in 6 minutes
11:54:35 [trackbot]
Meeting: eGovernment Interest Group Teleconference
11:54:35 [trackbot]
Date: 17 September 2010
11:54:42 [mhausenblas]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-egov-ig/2010Sep/0031.html
11:54:50 [mhausenblas]
Chair: Michael
11:54:56 [mhausenblas]
scribenick: mhausenblas
11:55:03 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
11:55:03 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-minutes.html mhausenblas
11:55:11 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, make logs public
11:59:33 [Zakim]
T&S_EGOV(LD Demo)8:00AM has now started
11:59:40 [Zakim]
+Brand
11:59:43 [Zakim]
+mhausenblas
11:59:57 [mhausenblas]
Zakim, who's here?
11:59:57 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Brand, mhausenblas
11:59:59 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, gdick, tlr, k, mhausenblas, MacTed, edsu, sandro, trackbot
12:00:20 [Zakim]
+ +1.240.515.aaaa
12:00:40 [mhausenblas]
Zakim, aaaa is k
12:00:40 [Zakim]
+k; got it
12:00:57 [mib_p4h5vn]
mib_p4h5vn has joined #egov
12:01:23 [mib_p4h5vn]
good morning
12:01:33 [mhausenblas]
hi mib_p4h5vn
12:01:43 [mhausenblas]
plan to dial in mib_p4h5vn?
12:02:12 [mib_p4h5vn]
mib_p4h5vn has left #egov
12:02:34 [Brand]
Brand has joined #egov
12:03:00 [mhausenblas]
anyone else plans to join us on the call? edsu? sandro? MacTed?
12:03:24 [mhausenblas]
Topic: Admin
12:03:49 [mhausenblas]
PROPOSAL: Accept the minutes of last meeting, see http://www.w3.org/2010/09/10-egov-minutes.html
12:04:04 [Brand]
+1
12:04:13 [mhausenblas]
RESOLUTION: minutes accepted
12:04:33 [mhausenblas]
http://www.w3.org/egov/IG/track/products/20
12:04:57 [mhausenblas]
Topic: Linked Open Government Application Challenge straw man call
12:05:04 [mhausenblas]
http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/Projects/GLD_Demo/ChallengeDraft
12:05:32 [mhausenblas]
Michael: quite some feedback on the Wiki
12:05:33 [Zakim]
+ +1.540.898.aabb
12:06:41 [bhyland]
bhyland has joined #egov
12:06:50 [mhausenblas]
Zakim, aabb bhyland
12:06:50 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'aabb bhyland', mhausenblas
12:06:57 [mhausenblas]
Zakim, aabb is bhyland
12:06:57 [Zakim]
+bhyland; got it
12:07:04 [mhausenblas]
Zakim, who's here?
12:07:04 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Brand, mhausenblas, k, bhyland
12:07:05 [Zakim]
On IRC I see bhyland, Brand, Zakim, RRSAgent, gdick, tlr, k, mhausenblas, MacTed, edsu, sandro, trackbot
12:08:43 [mhausenblas]
bhyland: had a look, have a question
12:08:59 [mhausenblas]
... are dataset from UK welcome?
12:09:04 [mhausenblas]
Michael: yes, global
12:11:14 [mhausenblas]
... let's leave the call open for another week
12:14:08 [mhausenblas]
bhyland: think that some US gov agency are in a leapfrog with UK data?
12:14:56 [mhausenblas]
Brand: JimH made that a friendly thing - so maybe involve him?
12:15:39 [mhausenblas]
http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/Projects/GLD_Demo
12:16:37 [Zakim]
+gdick
12:16:40 [mhausenblas]
ACTION: Michael to find missing minutes from Jul/Aug
12:16:40 [trackbot]
Sorry, amibiguous username (more than one match) - Michael
12:16:40 [trackbot]
Try using a different identifier, such as family name or username (eg. maisenbe, mhausenb)
12:16:52 [mhausenblas]
ACTION: Hausenblas to find missing minutes from Jul/Aug
12:16:53 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-113 - Find missing minutes from Jul/Aug [on Michael Hausenblas - due 2010-09-24].
12:17:42 [mhausenblas]
(discussion around http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/Projects/GLD_Demo/ChallengeDraft)
12:18:47 [mhausenblas]
k: what are the sponsor groups?
12:19:42 [mhausenblas]
LATC http://latc-project.eu/
12:19:52 [mhausenblas]
LOD2 http://lod2.eu
12:21:17 [Brand]
Sunlight Labs is interested in this and has been a sponsor in the past: see http://sunlightlabs.com/blog/2010/catalog-of-government-publications-bulk-data/#c8554
12:21:22 [mhausenblas]
ACTION: Hausenblas to update draft with links to projects
12:21:22 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-114 - Update draft with links to projects [on Michael Hausenblas - due 2010-09-24].
12:22:14 [mhausenblas]
Michael: Brand, whom to contact?
12:22:21 [mhausenblas]
Brand: David James, see link
12:22:50 [bhyland]
thanks for write up & link to 24-25 Aug 2010 Mashathon write up.
12:23:25 [mhausenblas]
Michael: permanent or one-shot?
12:24:02 [mhausenblas]
bhyland: let's see how it works, but a good place to find resources would be great to have
12:24:44 [mhausenblas]
k: for a permanent
12:26:32 [mhausenblas]
Michael: very much for such a portal for challenges
12:27:00 [mhausenblas]
bhyland: such a portal would also be good for vocabs
12:27:09 [mhausenblas]
k: AugmentedGovernment
12:27:32 [mhausenblas]
s/AugmentedGovernment/AugmentedGovernance
12:27:46 [mhausenblas]
(starting the name discussion)
12:27:58 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
12:27:58 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-minutes.html mhausenblas
12:29:36 [mhausenblas]
(Au == Gold ;)
12:29:52 [MacTed]
mhausenblas - regrets from me today; phone issues. my action continues. I believe your search for missing minutes will mostly discover cancelled meetings.
12:30:02 [mhausenblas]
bhyland: GOLD
12:30:13 [mhausenblas]
Gov Open Linked Data apps
12:31:31 [mhausenblas]
Michael: based on 5 star plan
12:31:38 [mhausenblas]
bhyland: we could extend it
12:32:35 [mhausenblas]
Michael: once sandro is around we can also tackle org issues
12:32:53 [mhausenblas]
... would be good to have W3C as co-organiser
12:33:08 [mhausenblas]
bhyland: also a profile page/link from eGov IG
12:34:15 [mhausenblas]
Michael: still looking for input re use cases/scenarios for the app
12:35:28 [mhausenblas]
... what would we like to see?
12:37:13 [Brand]
I suggest a use case that demonstrates searching across multiple data catalogs
12:37:25 [mhausenblas]
bhyland: process?
12:37:35 [mhausenblas]
Michael: very informal, mail, Wiki, etc
12:38:08 [mhausenblas]
Michael: very good point
12:39:57 [mhausenblas]
Brand: ORA director pointed out a tool, BeautifulSoup to consume the data
12:41:10 [bhyland]
Beautiful Soup doco, see http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/documentation.html
12:41:30 [mhausenblas]
Brand: there is a real need for such tools, make catalogs easier to consume
12:41:55 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
12:41:55 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-minutes.html mhausenblas
12:42:03 [bhyland]
The data.gov effort using Beautiful Soup can be read at http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/1974-use-beautifulsoup-to-parse-data-gov/
12:42:28 [mhausenblas]
Brand: multiple levels to use
12:42:36 [mhausenblas]
... catalog level, then drill down
12:43:54 [mhausenblas]
ACTION: Hausenblas to talk with Richard to create dcat on the fly out from BeautifulSoup interaction
12:43:55 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-115 - Talk with Richard to create dcat on the fly out from BeautifulSoup interaction [on Michael Hausenblas - due 2010-09-24].
12:44:06 [bhyland]
From Beautiful Soup ORA site, "BeautifulSoup basically takes ugly, ambiguous HTML and creates a nice, clean data structure that you can navigate in code. "
12:44:34 [mhausenblas]
gdick: unleash BeautifulSoup on StratML from Owen?
12:45:27 [mhausenblas]
bhyland: there are more and more tools available; good to see the community provides more usable tool
12:46:01 [mhausenblas]
Brand: also helps re catalog interop
12:46:24 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
12:46:24 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-minutes.html mhausenblas
12:46:36 [bhyland]
Brand suggested that this helps make gov't catalogues both easier to read, complements vocabulary standardization efforts underway. Great suggestion Brand.
12:46:40 [mhausenblas]
Topic: AOB
12:47:40 [mhausenblas]
[adjourned]
12:47:40 [Zakim]
-gdick
12:47:41 [Zakim]
-Brand
12:47:41 [Zakim]
-k
12:47:44 [Zakim]
-mhausenblas
12:47:46 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
12:47:46 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-minutes.html mhausenblas
12:47:47 [bhyland]
Thank you Michael for facilitating, very informative & helpful.
12:47:55 [Zakim]
-bhyland
12:47:57 [Zakim]
T&S_EGOV(LD Demo)8:00AM has ended
12:47:59 [Zakim]
Attendees were Brand, mhausenblas, +1.240.515.aaaa, k, +1.540.898.aabb, bhyland, gdick
12:48:02 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
12:48:02 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-minutes.html mhausenblas
12:48:12 [gdick]
gdick has left #egov
12:48:42 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
12:48:42 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-minutes.html mhausenblas
12:49:52 [mhausenblas]
ScribeOptions: -final -noEmbedDiagnostics
12:49:55 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
12:49:55 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-minutes.html mhausenblas
12:56:17 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, bye
12:56:17 [RRSAgent]
I see 4 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-actions.rdf :
12:56:17 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Michael to find missing minutes from Jul/Aug [1]
12:56:17 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-irc#T12-16-40
12:56:17 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Hausenblas to find missing minutes from Jul/Aug [2]
12:56:17 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-irc#T12-16-52
12:56:17 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Hausenblas to update draft with links to projects [3]
12:56:17 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-irc#T12-21-22
12:56:17 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Hausenblas to talk with Richard to create dcat on the fly out from BeautifulSoup interaction [4]
12:56:17 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/17-egov-irc#T12-43-54