IRC log of core on 2010-09-01

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:10:00 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #core
16:10:00 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/09/01-core-irc
16:10:04 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #core
16:10:09 [aphillip]
zakim, this will be I18N
16:10:09 [Zakim]
ok, aphillip; I see I18N_CoreWG()12:30PM scheduled to start in 20 minutes
16:10:20 [aphillip]
RRSAgent, set logs world-visible
16:10:28 [aphillip]
Meeting: Internationalization Core Teleconference
16:10:36 [aphillip]
RRSAgent, make minutes
16:10:36 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/01-core-minutes.html aphillip
16:11:01 [aphillip]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
16:11:06 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
16:11:09 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: aphillip
16:11:35 [aphillip]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2010Sep/0001.html
16:11:43 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/01-core-minutes.html aphillip
16:12:02 [andrewc_]
andrewc_ has joined #core
16:15:38 [andrewc]
andrewc has joined #core
16:30:13 [David]
David has joined #core
16:30:18 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()12:30PM has now started
16:30:25 [Zakim]
+aphillip
16:30:34 [matial]
matial has joined #core
16:31:00 [r12a]
r12a has joined #core
16:31:06 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard please
16:31:06 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
16:31:08 [Zakim]
+Richard
16:31:24 [Zakim]
+??P9
16:31:38 [fsasaki]
fsasaki has joined #core
16:31:47 [Zakim]
+??P10
16:31:56 [kennyluck]
kennyluck has left #core
16:32:16 [Zakim]
+ +972.2.158.aaaa
16:33:04 [Aharon]
Aharon has joined #core
16:33:22 [r12a]
you can't hear me ?
16:33:28 [aphillip]
no
16:33:38 [Zakim]
-Richard
16:33:40 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard please
16:33:40 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
16:33:42 [Zakim]
+ +972.7.474.6aabb
16:33:44 [Zakim]
+Richard
16:34:01 [Aharon]
zakim, mute me
16:34:01 [Zakim]
sorry, Aharon, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
16:34:10 [Aharon]
zakim, mute me
16:34:15 [Zakim]
Aharon should now be muted
16:34:52 [aphillip]
Topic: Minutes and Agenda review
16:35:05 [Zakim]
+David
16:35:11 [aphillip]
richard: status on character encoding stuff
16:35:32 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
16:35:56 [aphillip]
addison: ask device api WG when it would be appropriate to revew contacts API document
16:36:02 [aphillip]
DONE
16:36:16 [aphillip]
Topic: Info Share
16:36:21 [Aharon]
zakim, unmute me
16:36:21 [Zakim]
Aharon should no longer be muted
16:36:32 [aphillip]
aharon: response on the keyboard language proposal
16:36:35 [David]
David has joined #core
16:36:48 [aphillip]
... some objections
16:36:55 [aphillip]
... could pursue in their last call
16:37:01 [aphillip]
... or could create a separate document
16:37:16 [aphillip]
... I would prefer to pursue in LC
16:38:50 [aphillip]
addison: DOM3 LC is coming up and we will include in our LC comments
16:40:04 [aphillip]
richard: ask them to include in last call as proposal-at-risk
16:40:39 [Aharon]
zakim, mute me
16:40:39 [Zakim]
Aharon should now be muted
16:40:56 [aphillip]
ACTION: addison: write to dom3 folks and ask them to consider including keyboard "language" as proposal-at-risk in their LC document
16:41:36 [aphillip]
richard: we now have a public-i18n-cjk@ list
16:41:42 [aphillip]
... and a public-i18n-indic@ list
16:41:57 [aphillip]
... CJK list is for discussing all things CJK
16:42:17 [aphillip]
... created to relieve www-international@ list from this traffic
16:42:30 [aphillip]
... so everyone will see the comments
16:42:36 [aphillip]
... not just for JLRec
16:42:57 [aphillip]
richard: in a related vein, may set up HTML5 Korean list
16:43:08 [aphillip]
... our goal is separate
16:43:15 [aphillip]
... including list traffic in english
16:43:46 [aphillip]
richard: indic list set up because W3C india office would like a TF
16:43:59 [aphillip]
... to develop a document similar to JLReq document
16:44:08 [aphillip]
... focusing on Indic language support
16:44:53 [David]
David has joined #core
16:45:57 [aphillip]
addison: iri WG will start weekly in about 2 weeks
16:46:26 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/01-core-minutes.html aphillip
16:46:58 [aphillip]
Topic: status on character encoding stuff
16:47:10 [aphillip]
richard: more changes in offing
16:47:22 [aphillip]
... working on what used to be serving xhtml1.0
16:47:25 [aphillip]
... now called....
16:47:42 [aphillip]
... serving HTML and XHTML
16:47:50 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/serving-xhtml/
16:47:56 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/01-core-minutes.html aphillip
16:48:10 [aphillip]
richard: attempting to genericize
16:48:20 [aphillip]
... take out old-fashioned and complicated stuff
16:48:26 [aphillip]
... hard to say anything about XHTML5
16:48:37 [aphillip]
... stays with HTML5 mainly
16:48:50 [aphillip]
richard: other document (Encoding Definitions)
16:48:57 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/definitions-characters
16:49:10 [aphillip]
richard: had some stuff about mime types and quirks, no removed
16:49:17 [aphillip]
s/no removed/now removed/
16:49:24 [aphillip]
... still going through comments
16:49:33 [aphillip]
... some more minor changes as a result
16:49:39 [aphillip]
... not quite ready to launch documents
16:49:43 [aphillip]
... hope to target next week
16:49:50 [matial]
matial has joined #core
16:50:14 [aphillip]
Topic: Contacts API follow up
16:50:33 [aphillip]
addison: will call into telecon Friday
16:51:03 [Zakim]
-David
16:51:12 [aphillip]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2010JulSep/0113.html
16:51:40 [aphillip]
addison: anyone interested in leading contacts api review?
16:52:06 [fsasaki]
Felix: I'd be happy to contribute
16:52:14 [fsasaki]
.. but lead? well ...
16:53:07 [Zakim]
+David
16:53:30 [aphillip]
addison to lead coordination of comments, andrew, felix interested in contributing but cannot lead it
16:53:34 [r12a]
agenda+ scripts by language
16:53:53 [aphillip]
Topic: scripts by language
16:54:03 [r12a]
http://rishida.net/scripts/featurelist/
16:54:03 [Zakim]
-Felix
16:54:13 [aphillip]
richard: be aware of this table
16:54:44 [aphillip]
.. help mobile folks understand what they might need to support
16:55:37 [matial]
matial has joined #core
16:56:22 [aphillip]
Topic: WWTZ
16:56:29 [Zakim]
+??P2
16:56:30 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/WorkingWithTimeZones
16:58:10 [aphillip]
addison: updated guidelines sections
16:58:16 [aphillip]
... think we might be ready for wider review
16:58:21 [aphillip]
... would like your feedback first?
16:59:39 [matial]
matial has joined #core
16:59:50 [aphillip]
ACTION: all: review working with time zones with an eye to publishing to wider review for next week
17:00:01 [aphillip]
Topic: Bidi topics (per paragraph auto-direction, etc)
17:00:01 [Aharon]
zakim, unmute me
17:00:01 [Zakim]
Aharon should no longer be muted
17:00:30 [aphillip]
aharon: what do people think about per-paragraph dir=uba
17:00:49 [aphillip]
... concern on the list
17:01:06 [aphillip]
... I had objected to f2f design because too difficult
17:01:28 [aphillip]
... alternative that is much more limited would be better
17:01:40 [aphillip]
... limited to <textarea> and a new <pre>-like element
17:02:07 [aphillip]
aharon: could limit dir=uba to elements that have no child elements
17:03:24 [aphillip]
addison: hard to validate
17:03:40 [aphillip]
... some child elements don't affect directionality but are useful
17:03:51 [aphillip]
aharon: could propose new element
17:04:00 [aphillip]
... no one seconded my idea
17:04:11 [aphillip]
aharon: is anyone interested in more limited definition?
17:06:13 [aphillip]
addison: can we implement uba (or something similar) as a general attribute value
17:08:07 [aphillip]
addison: define clear rules for what to do if we see child elements
17:10:14 [aphillip]
Aharon to send a new proposal to public-i18n-bidi@
17:10:47 [aphillip]
aharon: intend to send a proposal for dir=auto and different estimation methods
17:11:06 [aphillip]
... this is separate from uba and temporarily assumes doesn't exist
17:11:11 [aphillip]
... one additional value to dir
17:11:14 [aphillip]
... which is auto
17:11:24 [aphillip]
... and additional attribute dir-method
17:11:37 [aphillip]
... "first-strong", "any-rtl" are the values
17:11:48 [aphillip]
... and could define more in the future
17:12:00 [aphillip]
... word count was rejected by f2f
17:12:05 [aphillip]
... nor character count
17:12:23 [aphillip]
... because coefficients to use require extensive research
17:12:39 [aphillip]
... and no proof that it is more useful
17:12:58 [aphillip]
... don't feel can advance without the reasearch
17:13:21 [aphillip]
addison: which is default?
17:13:27 [aphillip]
aharon: first-strong
17:13:43 [aphillip]
aharon: uba could be worked in as dir-method
17:13:53 [aphillip]
... has some CSS implications
17:14:00 [aphillip]
... hope to get guidance from e.g. fantasai
17:14:07 [aphillip]
... any thoughts?
17:14:26 [aphillip]
addison: look forward to proposal :-)
17:14:40 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/01-core-minutes.html aphillip
17:15:10 [Aharon]
zakim, mute me
17:15:10 [Zakim]
Aharon should now be muted
17:15:14 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
17:15:41 [Zakim]
-aphillip
17:15:43 [Zakim]
-Felix
17:15:45 [Zakim]
-Aharon
17:15:50 [Aharon]
Aharon has left #core
17:15:54 [Zakim]
-andrewc
17:15:56 [Zakim]
-David
17:16:00 [Zakim]
-Richard
17:16:43 [aphillip]
Present: Addison, Richard, David, Felix, Andrew, Aharon, Mati,
17:16:47 [aphillip]
Regrets: Norbert
17:17:05 [r12a]
addison, do you have a sec to discuss madrid workshop?
17:17:06 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/09/01-core-minutes.html aphillip
17:17:15 [aphillip]
zakim, bye
17:17:15 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees were aphillip, Richard, Felix, +972.2.158.aaaa, matial, andrewc, +972.7.474.6aabb, Aharon, David
17:17:15 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #core
17:17:23 [aphillip]
hi richard... sure
17:17:35 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/01-core-actions.rdf :
17:17:35 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: write to dom3 folks and ask them to consider including keyboard "language" as proposal-at-risk in their LC document [1]
17:17:35 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/01-core-irc#T16-40-56
17:17:35 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: all: review working with time zones with an eye to publishing to wider review for next week [2]
17:17:35 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/01-core-irc#T16-59-50
17:17:39 [r12a]
shall i call you?