IRC log of wam on 2010-08-05

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:02:15 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #wam
13:02:15 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-wam-irc
13:03:05 [ArtB]
ScribeNick: ArtB
13:03:07 [ArtB]
Scribe: Art
13:03:09 [ArtB]
Agenda = http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JulSep/0344.html
13:03:10 [ArtB]
Chair: Art
13:03:12 [ArtB]
Meeting: Widgets Voice Conference
13:03:13 [ArtB]
Regrets: Frederick, Kenneth, Robin
13:03:15 [ArtB]
Present: Art, Marcos
13:03:18 [ArtB]
Topic: Review and tweak agenda
13:03:22 [ArtB]
AB: the draft agenda was posted a few days ago: ( http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JulSep/0344.html ). Any change requests?
13:03:35 [ArtB]
MC: no
13:03:41 [ArtB]
Topic: Announcements
13:03:48 [ArtB]
AB: any short announcements?
13:04:39 [ArtB]
[ none ]
13:04:40 [ArtB]
Topic: Packaging and Configuration spec
13:04:49 [ArtB]
AB: Marcos uploaded several I18N test cases to the P&C test repository ( http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JulSep/0138.html ).
13:05:14 [ArtB]
AB: how many I18N tests have been uploaded and are there any more?
13:05:28 [ArtB]
MC: we uploaded about 170 and have a few more
13:05:41 [ArtB]
... we also need to remove some redundancies
13:06:28 [ArtB]
AB: I counted about 277 last week for all of P&C
13:06:35 [ArtB]
MC: that sounds about right
13:06:40 [ArtB]
... don't expect any more
13:07:05 [ArtB]
AB: what about review of the I18N tests?
13:07:23 [ArtB]
MC: Lachlan and one other guy at Opera reviewed them
13:07:28 [ArtB]
... and I reviewed them too
13:07:37 [ArtB]
... we still need to get review by the I18N WG
13:08:24 [ArtB]
AB: agree we should ask I18N WG for comments
13:08:33 [ArtB]
... but we should wait until we are "done"
13:09:24 [ArtB]
MC: Hari Kumar will notify me when the tests are ready for I18N WG comments
13:10:58 [ArtB]
ACTION: Marcos notify the I18N Core WG about the I18N test cases and ask them for comments
13:10:58 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-567 - Notify the I18N Core WG about the I18N test cases and ask them for comments [on Marcos Caceres - due 2010-08-12].
13:12:47 [ArtB]
AB: Marcos also uploaded several viewmode attribute parsing test cases ( http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JulSep/0096.html ).
13:13:12 [ArtB]
MC: yes, those test fill a hole we had in our test suite
13:13:30 [ArtB]
AB: as a result of these new test cases, none of the P&C implementations is even at 50% compliance ( http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/imp-report/ ).
13:14:16 [ArtB]
AB: a question is whether or not the I18N support is "optional" or not
13:14:44 [ArtB]
MC: no they really aren't because the parsing algorithms are now directly included in the spec
13:15:02 [ArtB]
... whereas before when we pointed to the ITS spec the algorithms were external
13:15:30 [ArtB]
... These new test cases are important and Lachlan did a very thorough job
13:16:50 [ArtB]
AB: so the UA must adhere to the syntax and parsing constraints but the UA doesn't really have any requirements on how to display internationalized attributes
13:16:54 [ArtB]
... is this right?
13:16:58 [ArtB]
MC: yes, that's right
13:17:34 [ArtB]
MC: how the UA displays the internationalized strings is platform specific
13:19:59 [ArtB]
AB: we now need to get at least 2 implementations that can pass all of the test suites
13:25:49 [ArtB]
AB: Issue-117 ( http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/117 ) "In Widget P&C Spec, need to clarify in the spec that dir attribute does not apply to attributes that are IRIs, Numeric, Keywords, etc. The dir attribute only affects human readable strings.".
13:25:56 [ArtB]
AB: to address this issue, I believe Marcos already updated the spec with some "editorial" fix several weeks ago. Is this correct Marcos?
13:26:33 [ArtB]
MC: yes, I have already uploaded the fixes
13:26:49 [ArtB]
... this required creating the "displayable attribute"
13:26:56 [ArtB]
... so this issue can be closed
13:27:27 [ArtB]
AB: so this was editorial, right?
13:27:38 [ArtB]
MC: yes, definitely - it did not affect the processing
13:27:53 [ArtB]
AB: OK, would then please close this issue Marcos?
13:27:58 [ArtB]
MC: yes, I just closed it.
13:28:20 [ArtB]
Topic: Widget Interface spec
13:28:28 [ArtB]
AB: Issue-116 ( http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/116 ) "Need to flesh out the security considerations for the openURL method in the Widget Interface spec" is blocking advancement of this spec to Proposed Recommenation.
13:28:39 [ArtB]
AB: Marcos proposed openURL be removed. If that is done, what is there an alternate way a developer can get similar functionality?
13:29:33 [ArtB]
MC: I can take an action to define some mechanism
13:30:07 [ArtB]
AB: can you submit a proposal to the list?
13:30:12 [ArtB]
MC: yes, I can do that
13:30:50 [ArtB]
ACTION: Marcos create an alternative mechanism for openURL and send it to the mail list
13:30:51 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-568 - Create an alternative mechanism for openURL and send it to the mail list [on Marcos Caceres - due 2010-08-12].
13:31:43 [ArtB]
MC: I also looked at removing the Web IDL ref
13:32:08 [ArtB]
... it is a lot more than difficult than I would have guessed
13:32:21 [ArtB]
... and even if we do that, we still have HTML and Web Storage refs
13:32:48 [ArtB]
AB: given those dependencies, I don't think it make sense to remove the Web IDL ref
13:32:51 [ArtB]
MC: agreed
13:33:42 [ArtB]
AB: after the group discusses your openURL alternate proposal, then we can get formal consensus on removing openURL or not
13:34:49 [kenneth]
kenneth has joined #wam
13:37:40 [ArtB]
AB: if the group accepts this change, the TWI spec will need to go back to LCWD
13:38:06 [ArtB]
... but since we already have more than 2 implementations that pass the TWI test suite,
13:38:22 [ArtB]
... we can skip another CR and go straight to PR
13:43:09 [ArtB]
AB: anything else on the TWI spec for today?
13:43:12 [ArtB]
MC: no
13:43:23 [ArtB]
Topic: AOB
13:44:27 [timeless]
oh
13:44:57 [timeless]
perhaps action to look at mozilla's package thing
13:45:13 [timeless]
marcos, can you drop in a link
13:46:14 [ArtB]
MC: I'm wondering if we should put some effort into the old P&C conformance spec
13:46:21 [ArtB]
... we could publish it again
13:46:45 [ArtB]
AB: could it be published as an informative WG Note
13:46:59 [Zakim]
+Josh_Soref
13:47:08 [ArtB]
Present+ Josh
13:47:34 [ArtB]
JS: It is OK with me if openURL is removed
13:47:55 [ArtB]
... I agree decision on Web IDL
13:49:01 [Marcos]
http://www.mail-archive.com/whatwg@lists.whatwg.org/msg22629.html
13:49:14 [ArtB]
... there was some discussion about web app packging on WHAT WG list this week
13:49:28 [ArtB]
... should review this email
13:50:23 [ArtB]
... don't think we want them to reinvent the wheels we created in WebApps
13:50:42 [ArtB]
AB: thanks for the headsup
13:51:14 [Zakim]
-Josh_Soref
13:52:35 [ArtB]
MC: the BONDI RI implemented a conformance checker
13:52:52 [ArtB]
AB: agree that functionality could be useful for Widget developers
13:52:54 [Marcos]
s/BONDI RI/BONDI SDK/
13:53:33 [ArtB]
MC: we have some tests for WARP spec
13:53:42 [ArtB]
AB: that's great
13:54:03 [ArtB]
MC: we updated the template for test suite generation
13:54:09 [Marcos]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-api/test-suite/
13:57:35 [ArtB]
MC: we are working on the dig sig tests
13:59:05 [ArtB]
AB: re, next call, I think we need Robin
13:59:10 [ArtB]
MC: agree
13:59:35 [ArtB]
AB: tentatively schedule a call for next week but only if we can get Robin
14:00:04 [ArtB]
... it would be good to get that to Candidate as soon as possible
14:01:49 [ArtB]
AB: meeting adjourned
14:01:56 [Zakim]
- +1.479.524.aaaa
14:01:58 [Zakim]
-Art_Barstow
14:01:58 [Zakim]
IA_WebApps(Widgets)9:00AM has ended
14:02:00 [Zakim]
Attendees were +1.479.524.aaaa, Art_Barstow, Josh_Soref
14:02:05 [ArtB]
RRSAgent, make minutes
14:02:05 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-wam-minutes.html ArtB
14:02:25 [ArtB]
RRSAgent, make log Public
14:02:29 [ArtB]
RRSAgent, make minutes
14:02:29 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-wam-minutes.html ArtB
14:11:42 [ArtB]
zakim, bye
14:11:42 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #wam
14:16:46 [kenneth]
kenneth has joined #wam
14:25:48 [kenneth]
ArtB, if it isnt working you can try kenneth@webkit.org
15:40:02 [ArtB]
RRSAgent, bye
15:40:02 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-wam-actions.rdf :
15:40:02 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Marcos notify the I18N Core WG about the I18N test cases and ask them for comments [1]
15:40:02 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-wam-irc#T13-10-58
15:40:02 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Marcos create an alternative mechanism for openURL and send it to the mail list [2]
15:40:02 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-wam-irc#T13-30-50