IRC log of webfonts on 2010-07-21

Timestamps are in UTC.

19:48:58 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #webfonts
19:48:58 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-irc
19:49:00 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
19:49:00 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #webfonts
19:49:02 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 3668
19:49:02 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see IA_Fonts()4:00PM scheduled to start in 11 minutes
19:49:03 [trackbot]
Meeting: WebFonts Working Group Teleconference
19:49:03 [trackbot]
Date: 21 July 2010
19:58:33 [Vlad]
Vlad has joined #webfonts
19:58:59 [Zakim]
IA_Fonts()4:00PM has now started
19:59:06 [Zakim]
+ +1.781.970.aaaa
19:59:30 [jfkthame]
jfkthame has joined #webfonts
20:00:15 [Zakim]
+ +1.443.895.aabb
20:00:33 [Zakim]
+ +44.845.397.aacc
20:01:05 [Zakim]
+ +1.408.536.aadd
20:01:08 [jfkthame]
zakim, 397.aacc is jfkthame
20:01:08 [Zakim]
sorry, jfkthame, I do not recognize a party named '397.aacc'
20:01:14 [ChrisL]
zakim, code?
20:01:14 [Zakim]
the conference code is 3668 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.26.46.79.03 tel:+44.203.318.0479), ChrisL
20:01:20 [cslye]
cslye has joined #webfonts
20:01:28 [tal]
tal has joined #webfonts
20:01:29 [jfkthame]
zakim, +44.845.397.aacc is jfkthame
20:01:29 [Zakim]
+jfkthame; got it
20:01:34 [Zakim]
+??P3
20:01:37 [ChrisL]
zakim, who is here?
20:01:37 [Zakim]
On the phone I see +1.781.970.aaaa, +1.443.895.aabb, jfkthame, +1.408.536.aadd, ??P3
20:01:39 [Zakim]
On IRC I see tal, cslye, jfkthame, Vlad, Zakim, RRSAgent, ChrisL, trackbot
20:01:50 [Vlad]
zakim, =1.781.970.aaaa is Vlad
20:01:50 [Zakim]
sorry, Vlad, I do not recognize a party named '=1.781.970.aaaa'
20:01:52 [ChrisL]
zakim, ??P3 is me
20:01:52 [Zakim]
+ChrisL; got it
20:02:04 [ChrisL]
zakim, who is noisy?
20:02:08 [Vlad]
zakim, +1.781.970.aaaa is Vlad
20:02:08 [Zakim]
+Vlad; got it
20:02:10 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
20:02:15 [Zakim]
ChrisL, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: +1.781.970.aaaa (29%)
20:02:33 [cslye]
zakim, +1.408.536.aadd is me
20:02:33 [Zakim]
+cslye; got it
20:02:49 [ChrisL]
zakim, who is here?
20:02:49 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Vlad, +1.443.895.aabb, jfkthame, cslye, ChrisL, [Microsoft]
20:02:51 [Zakim]
On IRC I see tal, cslye, jfkthame, Vlad, Zakim, RRSAgent, ChrisL, trackbot
20:03:01 [ChrisL]
zakimm microsoft holds sergei
20:03:09 [ChrisL]
zakim, microsoft holds sergei
20:03:09 [Zakim]
+sergei; got it
20:03:12 [Zakim]
+ +1.250.668.aaee
20:03:31 [ChrisL]
zakim, +1 250 is John
20:03:31 [Zakim]
I don't understand '+1 250 is John', ChrisL
20:03:50 [ChrisL]
zakim, +1.250 is John
20:03:50 [Zakim]
+John; got it
20:03:57 [sergeym]
sergeym has joined #webfonts
20:04:13 [ChrisL]
zakim, who is here?
20:04:13 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Vlad, +1.443.895.aabb, jfkthame, cslye, ChrisL, [Microsoft], John
20:04:15 [Zakim]
[Microsoft] has sergei
20:04:16 [Zakim]
On IRC I see sergeym, tal, cslye, jfkthame, Vlad, Zakim, RRSAgent, ChrisL, trackbot
20:04:55 [tal]
zakim, +1.443.895.aabb is me
20:04:55 [Zakim]
+tal; got it
20:05:23 [ChrisL]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2010Jul/0002.html
20:05:28 [ChrisL]
scribe: chrisl
20:05:51 [ChrisL]
topic: Review of the Editor's draft of the WOFF specification
20:05:59 [ChrisL]
Vlad: any comments?
20:06:25 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: couple of broken links, sent mail
20:06:56 [ChrisL]
tal: some formatting issues with code vs tt
20:07:06 [ChrisL]
jfkthame: fixing them now
20:07:18 [ChrisL]
vlad: any objections to publication as fpwd?
20:07:21 [ChrisL]
(none)
20:07:37 [ChrisL]
Resolved: publish woff spec as a fpwd
20:08:07 [ChrisL]
action: chris publish woff spec
20:08:07 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-10 - Publish woff spec [on Chris Lilley - due 2010-07-28].
20:08:15 [ChrisL]
topic: Planning our first F2F meeting at Typecon 2010
20:08:53 [ChrisL]
Vlad: want to set up agenda, ensure we are all on same page for next steps and work items
20:10:01 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: marking up testable assertions in the spec to check off the test suite
20:10:06 [ChrisL]
vlad: good idea
20:10:17 [cslye]
+1
20:10:34 [ChrisL]
Vlad: conformance document is a deliverable, not sure if its a separate doc or part of woff spec
20:10:42 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: we can do it either way
20:11:59 [ChrisL]
Vlad: in my opinion, for test suite to be succesful we need some fonts to serve. although its for any sfnt format, for test purposes at least one format that must be supported is needed
20:12:21 [ChrisL]
... dont need to make a decision now but discuss at f2f
20:12:49 [ChrisL]
christopher: providing fonts, or specifying a mandatory format?
20:12:53 [ChrisL]
Vlad: voth
20:12:59 [ChrisL]
s/voth/both/
20:13:12 [John]
John has joined #webfonts
20:13:27 [ChrisL]
... need so me fonts converted to woff and converted back; some text to have woff applied
20:13:56 [ChrisL]
cslye: so open licensed fonts?
20:14:32 [ChrisL]
Vlad: need not be a commercial quality font for testing. but we need a mandatory format, for conformance and for testing
20:14:48 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: obvious answer is Opentype
20:14:59 [ChrisL]
Vlad: obvious but never mentioned
20:16:05 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: so a separate spec could say you must support css3, woff, opentype in woff, etc
20:16:07 [Zakim]
+ +1.416.589.aaff
20:16:25 [ChrisL]
cslye: so a format is required for conformance testing?
20:16:44 [ChrisL]
Vlad: and for interoperability.
20:17:27 [ChrisL]
... woff on its own, format agnostic, does not give interop
20:18:17 [ChrisL]
sergeym: would expect this to be a spec requirement. should not require opentype support
20:18:48 [ChrisL]
Vlad: we can discuss more at f2f.
20:19:25 [ChrisL]
Vlad: ok lets think about and bring informed opinions to the f2f
20:19:38 [sergeym]
I actually meant this should be test suite prerequisite, not part of the WOFF spec.
20:20:21 [ChrisL]
Vlad: for f2f meeting we need to establish a work plan, most important part is identifying people responsible to do items of work
20:20:57 [ChrisL]
... so please review the set of deliverables, look for areas you can contribute
20:21:15 [ChrisL]
... we have a woff calidator that can be contributed by tal
20:21:27 [ChrisL]
tal: requires some work, but pretty far along
20:22:31 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: happy to take lead on test suite
20:22:59 [ChrisL]
Vlad: good to agree an agenda for f2f
20:23:30 [ChrisL]
zakim, who is noisy?
20:23:41 [Zakim]
ChrisL, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Vlad (86%)
20:24:49 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: good to start the list of implementations on the wiki so its ready to discuss at f2f
20:25:14 [ChrisL]
Vlad; need to review spec and identify testable assertions
20:26:13 [ChrisL]
Vlad: please add your own implementations
20:26:50 [ChrisL]
cslye: also implementations from outside the group
20:26:59 [ChrisL]
Vlad: can publicise on www-font
20:27:28 [ChrisL]
Topic: public outreach strategy
20:27:48 [ChrisL]
Vlad: good to get public attention along with fpwd to get good review
20:28:15 [ChrisL]
... may also get contributors outside the wg
20:28:20 [ChrisL]
... publicity is good
20:29:05 [ChrisL]
action: chris to ask about a press release
20:29:06 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-11 - Ask about a press release [on Chris Lilley - due 2010-07-28].
20:29:27 [ChrisL]
Vlad: aim is to get lots of comments
20:29:54 [ChrisL]
Vlad: assume we will use opportunities at typecon. tal, you were willing to make a presentation?
20:30:18 [ChrisL]
... john, you mentioned also w3c development process, is that useful?
20:30:27 [ChrisL]
john: a brief overview
20:30:42 [ChrisL]
... what 'web standard' means
20:31:05 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: panel is which day?
20:31:50 [ChrisL]
cslye: last i heard from tammye was friday
20:32:05 [ChrisL]
vlad: not everyone can stay til sunday
20:32:31 [cslye]
John said that, not me. (Last I heard...")
20:32:34 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: css wg meeting starts on monday so i will leave saturday evening
20:32:50 [ChrisL]
s/cslye/John/
20:33:52 [ChrisL]
John: presentation materials for typecon - hard copy?
20:34:06 [cslye]
That was me. :)
20:34:09 [ChrisL]
vlad: good to have slides etc and to view at f2f beforehand
20:34:29 [ChrisL]
s/John/cslye/
20:35:18 [ChrisL]
Vlad: once conference program is known we will have a better idea
20:36:11 [ChrisL]
cslye: up in air, but expecting a substantial block of time for webfonts panel, may include some background presentation time
20:36:24 [ChrisL]
... folowed by open discussion.
20:36:38 [ChrisL]
s/fol/foll/
20:36:49 [ChrisL]
John: wo is moderating the panel?
20:36:55 [ChrisL]
s/wo/who/
20:37:21 [ChrisL]
.... good to get the participants to discuss beforehand, well worth doing, meet on Thursday
20:37:27 [ChrisL]
cslye: agree
20:37:55 [ChrisL]
Vlad: been asked if public can be present at f2f meeting. not sure if they can join
20:38:10 [ChrisL]
... we operate in public so it should be ok
20:39:06 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: observers or contributors?
20:39:11 [ChrisL]
Vlad: observers
20:39:19 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: that is fine if we agree to it
20:39:34 [ChrisL]
cslye: early, so many folks not around.
20:39:51 [ChrisL]
... not heard anything more about using the space
20:42:08 [ChrisL]
(adjourned)
20:42:49 [ChrisL]
Vlad: probable regrets next week, travelling
20:42:50 [ChrisL]
rrsagent, make minutes
20:42:50 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-minutes.html ChrisL
20:42:52 [Zakim]
-cslye
20:42:54 [Zakim]
-John
20:42:56 [Zakim]
-ChrisL
20:42:57 [Zakim]
-tal
20:42:57 [Zakim]
-[Microsoft]
20:43:00 [tal]
tal has left #webfonts
20:43:00 [Zakim]
-Vlad
20:43:02 [Zakim]
-jfkthame
20:43:03 [ChrisL]
zakim, list attendees
20:43:03 [Zakim]
As of this point the attendees have been jfkthame, ChrisL, Vlad, cslye, sergei, +1.250.668.aaee, John, tal, +1.416.589.aaff
20:43:08 [John]
exit
20:43:17 [John]
heh... wrong software
20:43:24 [John]
John has left #webfonts
20:43:25 [Zakim]
- +1.416.589.aaff
20:43:26 [Zakim]
IA_Fonts()4:00PM has ended
20:43:28 [Zakim]
Attendees were jfkthame, ChrisL, Vlad, cslye, sergei, +1.250.668.aaee, John, tal, +1.416.589.aaff
20:43:34 [cslye]
cslye has left #webfonts
20:43:50 [jfkthame]
jfkthame has left #webfonts