IRC log of xproc on 2010-07-08

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:59:36 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #xproc
14:59:36 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/07/08-xproc-irc
14:59:40 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #xproc
14:59:45 [Norm]
zakim, this is xproc
14:59:46 [Zakim]
Norm, I see XML_PMWG()11:00AM in the schedule but not yet started. Perhaps you mean "this will be xproc".
14:59:51 [Norm]
zakim, this will be xproc
14:59:51 [Zakim]
ok, Norm; I see XML_PMWG()11:00AM scheduled to start in 1 minute
15:00:36 [alexmilowski]
alexmilowski has joined #xproc
15:01:20 [ht]
zakim, please call ht-781
15:01:20 [Zakim]
ok, ht; the call is being made
15:01:21 [Zakim]
XML_PMWG()11:00AM has now started
15:01:22 [Zakim]
+Ht
15:01:57 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
15:01:58 [Zakim]
-[IPcaller]
15:01:58 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
15:02:16 [Zakim]
+Carine
15:03:19 [Zakim]
+ +1.413.624.aaaa
15:03:22 [Norm]
zakim, aaaa is Norm
15:03:22 [Zakim]
+Norm; got it
15:03:26 [Norm]
zakim, who's here?
15:03:26 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Ht, [IPcaller], Carine, Norm
15:03:29 [Zakim]
On IRC I see alexmilowski, Zakim, RRSAgent, Norm, ht, caribou
15:03:47 [Norm]
zakim, ipcaller is Alex
15:03:47 [Zakim]
+Alex; got it
15:04:02 [Norm]
Meeting: XML Processing Model WG
15:04:02 [Norm]
Date: 8 July 2010
15:04:02 [Norm]
Agenda: http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2010/07/08-agenda
15:04:02 [Norm]
Meeting: 177
15:04:02 [Norm]
Chair: Norm
15:04:03 [Norm]
Scribe: Norm
15:04:05 [Norm]
ScribeNick: Norm
15:04:42 [Norm]
Regrets: Paul, Mohamed
15:04:50 [Norm]
Present: Henry, Alex, Carine, Norm
15:05:19 [Norm]
Topic: Accept this agenda?
15:05:20 [Norm]
-> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2010/07/08-agenda
15:05:26 [Norm]
Accepted.
15:05:33 [Norm]
s/Accepted.//
15:05:43 [Norm]
Henry: I'd like to talk about an addition to XProc for 1.1.
15:07:20 [Norm]
Norm: Ok.
15:07:31 [Norm]
Topic: Accept minutes from the previous meeting?
15:07:31 [Norm]
-> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2010/07/01-minutes
15:07:38 [Norm]
Accepted.
15:07:44 [Norm]
Topic: Next meeting: telcon, 15 July 2010?
15:08:34 [Norm]
Henry gives regrets for 15 July through 5 August.
15:09:13 [Norm]
Topic: Comments on WD
15:09:41 [Norm]
Norm: I don't think there have been any new comments and I failed to follow up with Bjoern, so I don't think there's anything here this week.
15:10:01 [Norm]
Norm: Henry, how goes the draft wrt the whitespace issue (invariants)
15:10:05 [Norm]
Henry: No progress so far.
15:10:57 [Norm]
Topic: Review latest editor's draft
15:11:24 [Norm]
Carine: I'm not comfortable with four profiles. There seems to be little justification for that level of granularity.
15:11:58 [Norm]
...It ends up being a do-it-yourself profile with whatever bits you want. I understand that some of the concern came from the browsers not doing much.
15:12:15 [Norm]
...It's probably ok to have a very small browser profile, do we need three more?
15:12:42 [Norm]
...It seems a bit useless to have that many.
15:13:16 [Norm]
Henry: I think that's a good point. I guess I remain moderately hopeful that looking at the different invariants will give us a reason for making these distinctions.
15:13:57 [Norm]
Norm: I guess we need three and if we have only three then there will be one obviously missing.
15:14:30 [Norm]
Henry: We went ahead and added them when people suggested them and before we publish, or in the next draft, we might call out explicitly the question of whether we need them all and see what people say.
15:14:33 [Norm]
Norm: Sounds good to me.
15:15:11 [Norm]
...But I'm waffling about it.
15:15:44 [Norm]
ACTION: Henry to add a note to the draft raising the question of whether we really need *four* profiles.
15:16:21 [Norm]
Carine: That's fine by me. It just looks like the 'pizza menu problem' in the US. There are all those names.
15:18:07 [Norm]
Carine: I think some note that suggested how each profile might be used would be helpful.
15:18:39 [Norm]
Norm: That sounds like a good idea to me, we should have suggested uses for the profiles before we're done.
15:18:57 [Norm]
Topic: Possible XProc 1.1 feature
15:19:36 [Norm]
Henry: I keep ending up writing vastly more structure than I need to in order to build a fragment with a bit of content from the context.
15:19:48 [Norm]
...It would be useful to have a single template rule.
15:20:21 [Norm]
...Maybe it would be sufficient in XProc to allow a version of inline in which XSLT curly brace rules apply. Or more likely XQuery curly brace rules apply.
15:21:45 [Norm]
Norm: Yes, I've been there. Figuring out how to get that into XProc is what's been a stumbling block for me.
15:21:56 [Norm]
Topic: Any other business?
15:22:03 [Norm]
None heard.
15:22:14 [Zakim]
-Ht
15:22:15 [Norm]
Adjourned.
15:22:16 [Zakim]
-Alex
15:22:17 [Zakim]
-Norm
15:22:19 [Zakim]
-Carine
15:22:19 [Zakim]
XML_PMWG()11:00AM has ended
15:22:21 [Zakim]
Attendees were Ht, Carine, +1.413.624.aaaa, Norm, Alex
15:22:24 [Norm]
rrsagent, set logs world visible
15:22:27 [Norm]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:22:27 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/07/08-xproc-minutes.html Norm
15:55:51 [ht]
Norm, please add me (HenrySThompson) to the wiki
15:56:25 [Norm]
Done
15:56:31 [ht]
Tnx
17:27:23 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #xproc
17:49:29 [Norm]
rrsagent, bye
17:49:29 [RRSAgent]
I see 1 open action item saved in http://www.w3.org/2010/07/08-xproc-actions.rdf :
17:49:29 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Henry to add a note to the draft raising the question of whether we really need *four* profiles. [1]
17:49:29 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/07/08-xproc-irc#T15-15-44