IRC log of xproc on 2010-07-01

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:57:14 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #xproc
14:57:14 [RRSAgent]
logging to
14:59:24 [MoZ]
Norm, thank _you_!
14:59:45 [Norm]
Meeting: XML Processing Model WG
14:59:45 [Norm]
Date: 1 July 2010
14:59:45 [Norm]
14:59:45 [Norm]
Meeting: 176
14:59:45 [Norm]
Chair: Norm
14:59:46 [Norm]
Scribe: Norm
14:59:48 [Norm]
ScribeNick: Norm
15:01:13 [Vojtech]
Vojtech has joined #xproc
15:01:39 [ht]
ht has joined #xproc
15:01:49 [ht]
zakim, please call ht-781
15:01:49 [Zakim]
ok, ht; the call is being made
15:01:50 [Zakim]
XML_PMWG()11:00AM has now started
15:01:52 [Zakim]
15:01:59 [PGrosso]
PGrosso has joined #xproc
15:02:07 [Norm]
zakim, what's the passcode?
15:02:09 [Zakim]
15:02:16 [Vojtech]
zakim, Jeroen is Vojtech
15:02:19 [Zakim]
the conference code is 97762 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+ tel:+44.117.370.6152), Norm
15:02:24 [Zakim]
+Vojtech; got it
15:02:31 [Zakim]
15:02:49 [Zakim]
15:02:58 [Norm]
zakim, jeroen is Vojtech
15:03:02 [Norm]
zakim, who's on the phone?
15:03:05 [Zakim]
sorry, Norm, I do not recognize a party named 'jeroen'
15:03:11 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Ht, Vojtech, PGrosso, Norm
15:03:16 [Norm]
Regrets: Mohamed
15:03:59 [Norm]
Regrets: Mohamed, Alex
15:05:07 [Norm]
Present: Norm, Henry, Vojtech, Paul
15:05:14 [Norm]
Topic: Accept this agenda?
15:05:14 [Norm]
15:05:26 [Norm]
15:05:31 [Norm]
Topic: Accept minutes from the previous meeting?
15:05:31 [Norm]
15:05:34 [Norm]
15:05:38 [Norm]
Topic: Next meeting: telcon, 8 July 2010?
15:06:00 [Norm]
Paul and Vojtech give regrets
15:06:23 [Norm]
Topic: XProc Errata
15:06:34 [Norm]
15:06:55 [Norm]
Norm: Anyone have any questions or comments about E01 and/or E02?
15:07:02 [Norm]
...Hearing none, I propose that we accept them.
15:07:11 [Norm]
15:08:21 [Norm]
Some discussion of what to do next; updating the errata document is the answer.
15:08:59 [Norm]
ACTION: Norm to construct an update to the errata document pointed to from the spec and pass it off to someone who can update it.
15:10:07 [Norm]
Norm: Vojtech, you had a question about namespace bindings.
15:11:06 [Norm]
Vojtech: Yes, in 5.7.5, in the first list, there are rules about how to construct namespace bindings.
15:11:47 [Norm]
...The way I understand it now, if an XPath expression returns a sequence of nodes, then we use the in-scope namespace bindings off the first node if the expression returns a node set.
15:14:14 [Norm]
Norm: I think that exists so that if an expression selects a QName in content, the right namespace bindings are carried forward.
15:15:03 [Norm]
General agreement that everything is ok.
15:15:21 [Norm]
Topic: Editor's draft of XML Processor Profiles
15:15:34 [Norm]
15:17:32 [Norm]
Some discussion of Paul's comment
15:18:19 [Norm]
15:18:54 [Norm]
Henry: I think this would be clearer if we changed "conformant processor" to "conformant XProc processor" in that sentence.
15:19:00 [Norm]
Paul: I think that could be clearer.
15:20:19 [Norm]
...I'm happy to leave the improvements to the editor.
15:21:14 [Norm]
Norm: Paul also asks about a profile that's smaller than "minimum". I don't feel strongly about the names.
15:22:11 [Norm]
Norm: How about "minimum", "basic", "modest", and "recommended"
15:22:16 [Norm]
Paul: That sounds good.
15:23:11 [Norm]
Norm: Anyone have concerns about these names?
15:23:13 [Norm]
None heard.
15:24:17 [Norm]
Norm: Paul's last comment is mostly editorial, but I agree.
15:27:00 [Norm]
General agreement that it should read "reading and processing" as Paul suggests.
15:27:52 [Norm]
Henry: Perhaps I should report on my action to add something about invariants
15:28:16 [Norm]
...I've started. Looking over the XML Spec again, it's not going to be as nice as I'd like.
15:28:56 [Norm]
...The best I can do for the first two profiles (which don't read any external markup) is to say things in two parts.
15:29:15 [Norm]
...For documents which are, or should be, standalone=yes and for documents which are standalone=no
15:29:29 [Norm]
...Because for documents which are standalone=no, if you don't read the external subset there isn't much you can say.
15:29:49 [Norm]
...You aren't gauranteed to get much at all.
15:30:46 [MoZ]
MoZ has joined #xproc
15:30:46 [Norm]
...The most you can say is that you'll get the document element name and attributes (provided they don't contain entity references)
15:31:18 [Norm]
...But almost no one bothers with standalone="yes" and the default is standalone="no", so it'll be tricky to get right.
15:31:34 [Norm]
...Especially since processors aren't required to report unexpanded entities.
15:31:45 [Norm]
Henry: But the other two are easier and I think we can get somewhere with them.
15:31:59 [Norm]
...The scope for variation is reduced after the external subset has been read and processed.
15:32:59 [Norm]
Norm summarizes the state of the issues list, not much progress to be made today
15:33:52 [Norm]
Topic: Any other business
15:34:07 [Zakim]
15:34:09 [Zakim]
15:34:09 [Norm]
15:34:10 [Zakim]
15:34:14 [Norm]
rrsagent, set logs world visible
15:34:15 [Zakim]
15:34:17 [Zakim]
XML_PMWG()11:00AM has ended
15:34:18 [Zakim]
Attendees were Ht, Vojtech, Norm, PGrosso
15:34:18 [Norm]
rrsagent draft minutes
15:34:25 [Norm]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:34:25 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate Norm
15:37:43 [PGrosso]
PGrosso has left #xproc
17:27:56 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #xproc
17:38:44 [Norm]
rrsagent, bye
17:38:44 [RRSAgent]
I see 1 open action item saved in :
17:38:44 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Norm to construct an update to the errata document pointed to from the spec and pass it off to someone who can update it. [1]
17:38:44 [RRSAgent]
recorded in