IRC log of sparql on 2010-06-29

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:00:34 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #sparql
14:00:34 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/06/29-sparql-irc
14:00:36 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:00:36 [bglimm]
Zakim, I am here
14:00:36 [Zakim]
sorry, bglimm, I do not see a party named 'here'
14:00:38 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 77277
14:00:38 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see SW_(SPARQL)10:00AM scheduled to start now
14:00:39 [trackbot]
Meeting: SPARQL Working Group Teleconference
14:00:39 [trackbot]
Date: 29 June 2010
14:00:42 [AxelPolleres]
AxelPolleres has joined #sparql
14:00:44 [LeeF]
zakim, this is SPARQL
14:00:44 [Zakim]
ok, LeeF; that matches SW_(SPARQL)10:00AM
14:00:47 [bglimm]
Zakim, I am bglimm
14:00:47 [Zakim]
sorry, bglimm, I do not see a party named 'bglimm'
14:00:53 [LeeF]
zakim, who's on the phone?
14:00:54 [Zakim]
On the phone I see pgearon, OlivierCorby, +44.186.528.aaaa, kasei, +1.603.897.aabb
14:00:58 [Zakim]
- +44.186.528.aaaa
14:00:59 [chimezie]
chimezie has joined #sparql
14:01:09 [LeeF]
zakim, code?
14:01:10 [Zakim]
the conference code is 77277 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), LeeF
14:01:18 [MattPerry]
zakim, aabb is me
14:01:18 [Zakim]
+MattPerry; got it
14:01:47 [Zakim]
+AxelPolleres
14:01:56 [pgearon]
morning Axel
14:01:58 [Zakim]
+Chimezie_Ogbuji
14:02:06 [Zakim]
+ +1.617.553.aacc
14:02:13 [chimezie]
Zakim, mute me
14:02:15 [LeeF]
zakim, aacc is me
14:02:18 [Zakim]
Chimezie_Ogbuji should now be muted
14:02:20 [Zakim]
+LeeF; got it
14:02:29 [AxelPolleres]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
14:02:32 [Zakim]
On the phone I see pgearon, OlivierCorby, kasei, MattPerry, AxelPolleres, Chimezie_Ogbuji (muted), LeeF
14:02:38 [bglimm]
I am just dialing in again
14:02:46 [Zakim]
+ +44.186.528.aadd
14:02:55 [bglimm]
Zakim, +44.186.528.aadd is me
14:02:55 [Zakim]
+bglimm; got it
14:03:02 [bglimm]
Zakim, mute me
14:03:02 [Zakim]
bglimm should now be muted
14:03:23 [LeeF]
(for the record, next week I'd like to discuss LET and also start reviewing & approving test cases)
14:03:25 [AxelPolleres]
scribe: paul gearon
14:03:30 [LeeF]
scribenick: pgearon
14:03:37 [LeeF]
Chair: AxelPolleres
14:03:42 [LeeF]
Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Agenda-2010-06-29
14:03:43 [AxelPolleres]
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Agenda-2010-06-29
14:04:18 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: Focus on admin issues today. Action issues, etc
14:04:44 [bglimm]
Axel, are you still talking? I can't hear any more
14:04:52 [pgearon]
focus on tech issues tomorrow in upcoming testcases call
14:04:53 [bglimm]
:-(
14:04:55 [Zakim]
+??P1
14:04:57 [bglimm]
silence
14:05:08 [NickH]
Zakim, ??P1 is me
14:05:14 [Zakim]
+NickH; got it
14:05:21 [bglimm]
Yes, our telephone system has problems today and Zakim forces me to call US
14:05:27 [Zakim]
-bglimm
14:05:27 [pgearon]
member:AxelPolleres: Summary of Semtech
14:06:06 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
14:06:14 [AlexPassant]
Zakim, +[IPcaller] is me
14:06:14 [Zakim]
sorry, AlexPassant, I do not recognize a party named '+[IPcaller]'
14:06:30 [pgearon]
LeeF: Tuesday gave a tutorial on SPARQL. Wednesday there was a SPARQL 1.1 panel. Fewer people at the panel
14:06:51 [pgearon]
LeeF: panel had questions on federation. One person asked about LET
14:07:25 [pgearon]
LeeF: people in the community seem to be engaged in SPARQL and are following what we're doing
14:08:46 [chimezie]
Zakim, unmute me
14:08:46 [Zakim]
Chimezie_Ogbuji should no longer be muted
14:08:47 [pgearon]
LeeF: no real criticism. One question about LET. Another question asking if we've defined everything needed for federation (which we aren't)
14:09:30 [pgearon]
chimezie: presentation on REST and HTTP. Most of the feedback was just about filling in details of the protocol
14:10:02 [chimezie]
Zakim, mute me
14:10:02 [Zakim]
Chimezie_Ogbuji should now be muted
14:10:21 [AxelPolleres]
http://www.w3.org/2009/12/rdf-ws/
14:10:22 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: RDF Next Steps workshop
14:11:19 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: lots of presentations, lots of differing opinions
14:11:49 [Zakim]
+bglimm
14:12:00 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: breakout groups on Semantics, Syntax, Named Graphs, and Linked Data issues
14:12:31 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: decided not to worry much about XML. Look at new syntax, and more "webby" things like JSON
14:12:51 [bglimm]
Zakim, mute me
14:12:51 [Zakim]
bglimm should now be muted
14:13:32 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: Semantics group wanted to align semantics with what people are expecting
14:14:38 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: syntax - don't touch XML semantics. Annotations should be allowed in RDF, which will be different to current reification syntax
14:14:41 [LeeF]
See http://www.w3.org/2010/06/rdf-work-items/table
14:14:56 [Souri]
Souri has joined #sparql
14:15:02 [AxelPolleres]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/RDF/NextStepWorkshop
14:15:26 [Zakim]
+ +1.603.897.aaee
14:15:28 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: using "weakly deprecated" on several features, such as reificiation. This means that people should avoid using them in new applications
14:15:35 [LeeF]
zakim, aaee is Souri
14:15:36 [Zakim]
+Souri; got it
14:16:05 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller.a]
14:16:17 [AxelPolleres]
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Comments
14:16:26 [bglimm]
Zakim, [IPcaller.a] is me
14:16:26 [Zakim]
+bglimm; got it
14:16:30 [AxelPolleres]
topic: Comments
14:16:30 [Zakim]
-bglimm
14:16:31 [AxelPolleres]
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Comments
14:16:34 [AlexPassant]
Zakim, [IPcaller] is me
14:16:34 [Zakim]
+AlexPassant; got it
14:16:36 [pgearon]
pgearon: the outcome of the workshop is that there will likely be a new RDF working group
14:16:49 [bglimm]
Zakim, mute me
14:16:49 [Zakim]
bglimm.a should now be muted
14:17:24 [bglimm]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
14:17:24 [Zakim]
On the phone I see pgearon, OlivierCorby, kasei, MattPerry, AxelPolleres, Chimezie_Ogbuji (muted), LeeF, NickH, AlexPassant, Souri, bglimm.a (muted)
14:17:25 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: asking everyone on the list about comments
14:17:38 [bglimm]
Zakim, unmute me
14:17:38 [Zakim]
bglimm.a should no longer be muted
14:18:11 [chimezie]
Zakim, unmute me
14:18:11 [Zakim]
Chimezie_Ogbuji should no longer be muted
14:18:41 [pgearon]
EF-1, EF-2, EF-3. Birte responded, and there was no response. Is this acceptable or do we need to follow up?
14:19:13 [pgearon]
LeeF: good practice to follow up, but not required to at this stage (not until Last Call)
14:19:41 [AxelPolleres]
LeeF: suggestion to track comments beyond sending response only by last call with a standard question for acknowledgement.
14:19:54 [bglimm]
Zakim, mute me
14:19:54 [Zakim]
bglimm.a should now be muted
14:20:26 [pgearon]
JC-1. LeeF has sent another email opening this discussion again
14:20:49 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: can this be closed, or left open?
14:20:54 [pgearon]
LeeF: leave open
14:21:03 [AxelPolleres]
ASSIGNMENT to be put on next TC agenda
14:21:18 [kasei]
RV-2 is waiting on a second response from SteveH.
14:21:22 [pgearon]
HK-1. Similar to JC-1
14:21:46 [kasei]
oops. jumped ahead a bit on that. sorry.
14:24:23 [AxelPolleres]
ACTION: Paul to check whether http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2010Jan/0003.html is fully answered and complete update the comments table.
14:24:23 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-259 - Check whether http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2010Jan/0003.html is fully answered and complete update the comments table. [on Paul Gearon - due 2010-07-06].
14:24:25 [pgearon]
RN-1. Response was not formal, but in public. Richard Newman was satisfied with response
14:25:23 [pgearon]
DR-1. Property Paths question still open. Axel with follow up with Andy to see if it is resolved
14:25:27 [AxelPolleres]
ACTION: Axel to contact Andy about open comments assigned to him
14:25:27 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-260 - Contact Andy about open comments assigned to him [on Axel Polleres - due 2010-07-06].
14:25:58 [kasei]
RV-2 isn't actually done, despite what the wiki says.
14:26:02 [AxelPolleres]
ST-1 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2010Feb/0015.html
14:26:29 [pgearon]
ST-1. This has not been responded to. pgearon to follow up
14:26:31 [AxelPolleres]
ACTION: Paul to look into http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2010Feb/0015.html and update comments page accordingly
14:26:31 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-261 - Look into http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2010Feb/0015.html and update comments page accordingly [on Paul Gearon - due 2010-07-06].
14:27:49 [pgearon]
RV-2. Responded to, but followup mail not in table
14:28:31 [chimezie_2]
chimezie_2 has joined #sparql
14:28:41 [AxelPolleres]
ACTION: greg to add http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2010Mar/0002.html as new comment in the table, note necessary input from steve in the table
14:28:41 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-262 - Add http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2010Mar/0002.html as new comment in the table, note necessary input from steve in the table [on Gregory Williams - due 2010-07-06].
14:28:45 [bglimm]
Steve did send regrets (most likely cannot make it he said)
14:29:26 [kasei]
that's different
14:29:33 [pgearon]
Steve needed for RV-3 and RV-4
14:29:54 [kasei]
aha. RV-4 is the same as the followup on RV-1
14:30:10 [AxelPolleres]
ACTION: ask stefve about RV-3 RV-4 responses
14:30:10 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - ask
14:30:44 [AxelPolleres]
close ACTION-262
14:30:44 [trackbot]
ACTION-262 Add http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2010Mar/0002.html as new comment in the table, note necessary input from steve in the table closed
14:31:24 [AxelPolleres]
RH-1 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2010Mar/0009.html
14:32:04 [pgearon]
RH-1. More complex. This is an input paper which proposes an abstract syntax for Update
14:32:25 [AxelPolleres]
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/CommentResponse:RH-1
14:32:46 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: not responded, but have a reply draft. Draft says that we may consider this
14:34:52 [Zakim]
-AlexPassant
14:35:03 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: Lee wanted to hold off on the reply
14:35:25 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
14:35:27 [AlexPassant]
Zakim, [IPcaller] is me
14:35:27 [Zakim]
+AlexPassant; got it
14:37:22 [AxelPolleres]
ACTION: paul to reformulate http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/CommentResponse:RH-1 and send to the list.
14:37:22 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-263 - Reformulate http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/CommentResponse:RH-1 and send to the list. [on Paul Gearon - due 2010-07-06].
14:37:34 [pgearon]
pgearon: feels that the draft response is a "brush off" and volunteers to update the response
14:39:21 [pgearon]
KK-1. ISSUE-49. Ivan asked, said we can reference informatively
14:40:04 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: can replicate ISSUE-49 in the text and explain that there may be an issue if not used as expected
14:40:48 [AxelPolleres]
ACTION: Chime to draft response to KK-1 summarising our internal discussions and changes in the doc.
14:40:48 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-264 - Draft response to KK-1 summarising our internal discussions and changes in the doc. [on Chimezie Ogbuji - due 2010-07-06].
14:41:12 [kasei]
I drafted a response, but never got WG feedback on it.
14:41:54 [pgearon]
kasei: discussing MH-3, TI-3 response
14:42:13 [pgearon]
s/MH-3/MH-1/
14:42:25 [LeeF]
+1 chimezie
14:43:10 [AxelPolleres]
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/CommentResponse:MH-1
14:43:12 [bglimm]
+1
14:43:23 [pgearon]
kasei: don't plan to follow up with "well known" endpoint without a concrete proposal
14:43:23 [bglimm]
supoort
14:43:30 [bglimm]
support
14:43:54 [kasei]
either way
14:44:16 [pgearon]
kasei to follow up without action
14:44:39 [AxelPolleres]
PA-1
14:44:40 [AxelPolleres]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2010Jun/0002.html
14:45:15 [pgearon]
Andy suggested that functions from XPath can be used
14:45:22 [AxelPolleres]
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/CommentResponse:PA-1
14:45:58 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: can someone please check. Concern about syntactic correctness
14:46:36 [pgearon]
AxelPolleres: noticed use of "+" instead of concat function
14:47:03 [kasei]
works in a real implementation?
14:47:09 [kasei]
does anybody implement those functions yet?
14:47:17 [LeeF]
my main concern is fn:concat and fn:encode-for-uri
14:47:20 [LeeF]
which we haven't settled on yet, right?
14:47:43 [LeeF]
which functions & via which URIs
14:47:53 [LeeF]
Sure
14:48:16 [LeeF]
i think you're missing braces in the WHERE clause
14:48:35 [LeeF]
the sub-SELECT needs to be wrapped in braces
14:49:22 [pgearon]
pgearon: also includes example:percentEncode in query, which shouldn't be there
14:49:36 [kasei]
I think the current grammar allows WHERE { SELECT ... }
14:50:33 [OlivierCorby]
it should be: select exp as var (instead of var as exp)
14:50:38 [AxelPolleres]
ACTION: Axel to update answer to PA-1 explaining non-normative nature of the functions and that syntax may still change
14:50:38 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-265 - Update answer to PA-1 explaining non-normative nature of the functions and that syntax may still change [on Axel Polleres - due 2010-07-06].
14:51:52 [kasei]
yes
14:52:25 [pgearon]
PA-2. Semantics of Describe. AxelPolleres has this on his list
14:52:42 [kasei]
I can draft a response to PA-2 w.r.t. service descriptions.
14:53:56 [AxelPolleres]
DS-1 needs discussion
14:53:59 [AxelPolleres]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2010Jun/0011.html
14:54:03 [pgearon]
DS-1. mentioned before, and kasei thinks we need more discussion
14:54:44 [pgearon]
kasei: Andy provided compelling example, response suggested that entailment can interact and cause problems
14:54:59 [AxelPolleres]
we had that discussion on F2F ... looks like we have to discuss this in the group again.
14:55:48 [AxelPolleres]
ACTION: greg to write a mail to the list on the issue of DS-1 and what are the options
14:55:49 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-266 - Write a mail to the list on the issue of DS-1 and what are the options [on Gregory Williams - due 2010-07-06].
14:55:59 [pgearon]
kasei following up, will be discussed in next teleconference
14:57:09 [kasei]
what time is the call tomorrow?
14:58:24 [AxelPolleres]
topic: aob
14:58:35 [Zakim]
-Chimezie_Ogbuji
14:58:36 [AxelPolleres]
adjourned
14:58:37 [Zakim]
-LeeF
14:58:38 [pgearon]
adjourned
14:58:39 [Zakim]
-bglimm.a
14:58:45 [Zakim]
-MattPerry
14:58:47 [Zakim]
-AlexPassant
14:58:49 [Zakim]
-OlivierCorby
14:58:53 [Zakim]
-NickH
14:58:55 [Zakim]
-pgearon
14:58:55 [AxelPolleres]
rrsagent, make records public
14:58:57 [Zakim]
-kasei
14:59:01 [Zakim]
-AxelPolleres
15:22:59 [kasei]
AxelPolleres, ping?
15:35:01 [Zakim]
disconnecting the lone participant, Souri, in SW_(SPARQL)10:00AM
15:35:05 [Zakim]
SW_(SPARQL)10:00AM has ended
15:35:07 [Zakim]
Attendees were OlivierCorby, pgearon, +44.186.528.aaaa, kasei, +1.603.897.aabb, MattPerry, AxelPolleres, Chimezie_Ogbuji, +1.617.553.aacc, LeeF, bglimm, NickH, +1.603.897.aaee,
15:35:09 [Zakim]
... Souri, AlexPassant
15:38:41 [AxelPolleres]
AxelPolleres has left #sparql
15:39:10 [AxelPolleres]
AxelPolleres has joined #sparql
17:03:06 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #sparql
19:22:25 [AndyS]
AndyS has joined #sparql
21:26:42 [AxelPolleres]
AxelPolleres has joined #sparql
22:39:01 [AxelPolleres]
AxelPolleres has joined #sparql