IRC log of lld on 2010-06-24

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:49:52 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #lld
13:49:52 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-irc
13:50:05 [antoine]
rrsagent, bookmark
13:50:05 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-irc#T13-50-05
13:50:20 [antoine]
zakim, this will be lld
13:50:20 [Zakim]
ok, antoine, I see INC_LLDXG()10:00AM already started
13:50:45 [antoine]
Meeting: LLD XG
13:50:54 [emma]
emma has joined #lld
13:50:56 [antoine]
Chair: Antoine
13:51:06 [antoine]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jun/0108.html
13:51:16 [antoine]
Previous: 2010-06-17 http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/17-lld-minutes.html
13:51:38 [antoine]
Regrets: Ray, Tom, Andras, Ed, Karen, Ross, Herbert, Nicolas, Oreste, Guenther, Kai, Martin, Carlo, Kim, Andrew
13:51:51 [antoine]
rrsagent, please make record public
13:52:02 [antoine]
zakin, who is here?
13:52:10 [AlexanderH]
AlexanderH has joined #lld
13:52:14 [TomB]
TomB has joined #lld
13:52:15 [antoine]
zakim, who is here?
13:52:15 [Zakim]
On the phone I see [IPcaller]
13:52:16 [Zakim]
On IRC I see TomB, AlexanderH, emma, RRSAgent, Zakim, michaelp, antoine, jeff_, mhausenblas, ed_, ww
13:52:59 [Zakim]
+ +1.614.764.aaaa
13:53:15 [Zakim]
+ +1.614.764.aabb
13:53:25 [Zakim]
+ +03315379aacc
13:54:57 [jodi]
jodi has joined #LLD
13:55:26 [antoine]
Scribe: Michael
13:55:32 [antoine]
Scribenick: michaelp
13:56:18 [michaelp]
Hi Antoine!
13:56:23 [antoine]
rrsagent, please draft minutes
13:56:23 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-minutes.html antoine
13:56:33 [matolat]
matolat has joined #lld
13:58:31 [Zakim]
+ +1.856.528.aadd
13:58:33 [GordonD]
GordonD has joined #lld
13:58:34 [dlukose]
dlukose has joined #LLD
13:58:38 [jodi]
zakim: aadd is me
13:58:40 [jneubert]
jneubert has joined #lld
13:59:34 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
13:59:52 [jneubert_]
jneubert_ has joined #lld
14:00:29 [bernard]
bernard has joined #lld
14:00:45 [jneubert]
jneubert has joined #lld
14:01:36 [Zakim]
+jeff_.a
14:02:49 [bernard]
boston number does not seem to work
14:02:55 [Zakim]
+ +1.330.655.aaee
14:03:31 [marcia]
marcia has joined #lld
14:03:37 [Zakim]
+ +39.714.8.aaff
14:03:49 [dlukose]
dlukose has joined #lld
14:04:32 [Zakim]
+ +49.173.609.aagg
14:04:43 [bernard]
zakim , mute me
14:05:01 [jneubert]
hi zakim, aagg is pobably me
14:05:03 [dlukose]
zakim, mute me
14:05:03 [Zakim]
sorry, dlukose, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
14:05:26 [stu]
stu has joined #lld
14:05:36 [bernard]
zakim, mute me
14:05:36 [Zakim]
bernard should now be muted
14:06:06 [stu]
can someone kindly point me to the link for the call info?
14:06:21 [antoine]
+1-617-761-6200
14:06:31 [antoine]
Call code: 55394#
14:06:41 [stu]
thanks
14:07:00 [michaelp]
Topic: Administrative
14:07:17 [Zakim]
+??P31
14:07:26 [jodi]
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alcts/confevents/upcoming/ala/ac10/linked.cfm
14:07:37 [GordonD]
zakim, ??P31 is me
14:07:44 [Zakim]
+GordonD; got it
14:07:55 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
14:08:08 [antoine]
-> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/17-lld-minutes.html
14:08:28 [michaelp]
Antoine: Comments on the minutes of previous telecon?
14:08:59 [michaelp]
RESOLVED: Accept minutes of previous week
14:10:17 [bernard]
ok
14:10:17 [Zakim]
+ +016261aahh
14:10:22 [michaelp]
Antoine: In the future, minutes should first be send to participants before going public.
14:10:47 [michaelp]
... to get accurate attendance record.
14:10:59 [GordonD]
zakim, mute me
14:10:59 [Zakim]
GordonD should now be muted
14:11:29 [jodi]
I linked the intros I could find at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/ParticipantIntroductions
14:11:52 [michaelp]
ACTION: Introductions
14:11:54 [michaelp]
--done
14:12:08 [antoine]
ACTION: All group members should please post an introduction to http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minutes.html#action01]
14:12:11 [antoine]
--DONE
14:12:21 [michaelp]
ACTION: All group members should please post an introduction to http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minutes.html#action01]
14:12:23 [michaelp]
--done
14:13:00 [michaelp]
Jodi: Introductions are now collected on a wiki page.
14:13:42 [michaelp]
-> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/ParticipantIntroductions
14:14:07 [michaelp]
Antoine: Availability for F2F meeting in Pittsburgh
14:14:23 [michaelp]
... we could sufficient feedback; many people can make the meeting.
14:14:34 [michaelp]
ACTION: ALL: group members please indicate your availability for the proposed F2F meeting in a Doodle poll: http://www.doodle.com/gaipzmfc7xp9f4zq [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minutes.html#action08]
14:14:37 [michaelp]
--done
14:14:49 [antoine]
-> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F
14:15:47 [michaelp]
Antoine: We can hold 2 day meeting after DC-2010 conference.
14:16:16 [michaelp]
... in the venue of the conference; October 23-24
14:16:30 [antoine]
zakim, ack emma
14:16:30 [Zakim]
emma, you wanted to ask about time schedule
14:16:32 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
14:16:33 [michaelp]
... ca. 19 attendees
14:17:07 [michaelp]
???: We could we start early on Sunday so people can make flights?
14:17:33 [michaelp]
s/???/emma/
14:18:11 [michaelp]
Antoine: We don't have to use up all the time. Probably we can have 1 or 1.5 days.
14:18:59 [stu]
suggest 1.5 days to accommodate European travel and the desireability of an evening social to promote group cohesion
14:19:01 [michaelp]
... We can move the most important issues to the first day.
14:19:17 [michaelp]
1+
14:19:48 [emma]
s/We could we start/We could end/
14:20:19 [michaelp]
Antoine: The agenda shows definitive telecon schedule.
14:20:46 [antoine]
-> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jun/0101.html
14:20:52 [michaelp]
Antoine: Twitter hashtag discussion on mailing list
14:21:17 [michaelp]
... 2 proposals: #lldata vs. #lldxg
14:21:30 [stu]
lldata
14:21:40 [matolat]
lldata
14:21:41 [jneubert]
lldata
14:21:48 [marcia]
lldata
14:21:52 [bernard]
lldata
14:22:10 [michaelp]
Antoine: There seems to be preference for lldata.
14:22:17 [bernard]
less cryptic :)
14:22:46 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-minutes.html emma
14:22:52 [michaelp]
RESOLVED: #lldata hashtag to be used on Twitter
14:23:28 [michaelp]
Topic: Use cases and case studies
14:23:55 [antoine]
-> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jun/0107.html
14:24:33 [dlukose]
i am disconnecting now, and will re-connect via skype in a min...as soon as I re-connect, plese mute me.
14:24:51 [Zakim]
-dlukose
14:25:11 [michaelp]
Emmanuelle: We should be more specific about the goals of use cases
14:25:35 [Zakim]
+??P36
14:25:39 [michaelp]
... Provenance XG goals were more generic
14:26:31 [michaelp]
Antoine: We need to get concrete cases to identify the technology issues
14:26:55 [dlukose]
i am re-connect now
14:26:57 [michaelp]
.. but also abstract one to show community benefits of future applications of LD technology
14:27:22 [michaelp]
Emmanuelle: This should be identified in the templates.
14:27:41 [jodi]
zakim, +??P36 is dlukose
14:27:41 [Zakim]
sorry, jodi, I do not recognize a party named '+??P36'
14:27:43 [jneubert]
+1
14:27:54 [jodi]
zakim, P36 is dlukose
14:27:54 [Zakim]
sorry, jodi, I do not recognize a party named 'P36'
14:27:55 [dlukose]
zakim, mute me
14:27:56 [Zakim]
sorry, dlukose, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
14:28:06 [dlukose]
zakim, mute me
14:28:06 [Zakim]
dlukose should now be muted
14:28:24 [michaelp]
Stu: What are we trying to do? What actions should be taken as results of our efforts?
14:28:56 [michaelp]
... Are we really trying to identify technology issues with concrete UCs?
14:29:43 [michaelp]
... Inventory of whats going on with LD in library community?
14:30:05 [michaelp]
q+ about UC goals
14:30:18 [michaelp]
q+
14:31:06 [michaelp]
Stu: Suggesting future benefits is often not convincing. Suggesting implementation strategies might be.
14:31:25 [michaelp]
Antoine: That is exactly the idea behind the UC idea.
14:32:07 [antoine]
zakim, ack michaelp
14:32:07 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
14:32:33 [antoine]
michaelp: the concrete is the abstract are not so far apart
14:32:51 [antoine]
... we are trying to align LD practices with library practices
14:32:52 [marcia]
contextualize LD principles and align them with library practices
14:33:12 [marcia]
no
14:33:32 [fumi]
fumi has joined #lld
14:33:35 [antoine]
michaelp: both could be accomodated here
14:33:41 [GordonD]
I agree with Michael
14:33:51 [stu]
q+
14:33:54 [AlexanderH]
me too
14:34:04 [emma]
+1 with Michael
14:34:50 [marcia]
the 'topics' identified by the group can also be aligned with the UC data collected
14:34:54 [michaelp]
Antoine: We can make the template flexible enough through discussion on mailing list.
14:35:24 [michaelp]
Stu: What are the deliverables that would others prepare to take action?
14:35:48 [michaelp]
... around these data issues.
14:36:19 [michaelp]
... Report could identify the goal to make libraries more permanent on the web and then name strategies how this can be accomplished.
14:36:38 [michaelp]
Antoine: Adressed by our technology deliverable.
14:36:44 [Zakim]
+ +35937aaii
14:36:54 [michaelp]
Stu: Sounds good.
14:37:34 [GordonD]
There are some big and general practical issues in libraryland that ld could resolve e.g. shared cataloguing; federated searching; user-assisted cataloguing - each might be an "abstract" uc
14:37:55 [michaelp]
Emma: We must choose the UCs to advertise the use of linked data.
14:38:10 [michaelp]
... Provenance XG curated UCs into scenarios
14:38:34 [michaelp]
Antoine: In terms of commonality?
14:38:54 [michaelp]
Emma: Yes, to consolidate and extract common issues.
14:39:33 [michaelp]
Antoine: Are there volunteers to come up with a new template?
14:39:41 [michaelp]
Stu: I would be happy to help.
14:39:45 [Zakim]
emma, you wanted to comment on use case curation
14:40:22 [michaelp]
Stu: I take the lead on this to understand UC approach better.
14:41:34 [michaelp]
Alexander: It would be useful to see examples.
14:41:57 [antoine]
-> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jun/0116.html
14:42:07 [antoine]
for example UCs
14:43:01 [michaelp]
Michael: It would be useful to look at Provenance XG wiki for examples.
14:44:58 [michaelp]
ACTION: Stu takes the lead on understanding UC approach better (with help of Emmanuelle)
14:45:12 [bernard]
count me in also
14:45:34 [AlexanderH]
i'm in too
14:45:45 [jeff_]
I'm in
14:46:04 [antoine]
s/Emmanuelle/Emmanuelle Jodi Bernard and Jeff
14:46:24 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-minutes.html emma
14:46:54 [dlukose]
The W3C Semantic Web Deployment Working Group previously prepared a set of questionnaire. will this be someting that may be usefule in our initiative?
14:47:26 [jodi]
post about LIBIS Swedish Union Catalog, regarding enrichment: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.culture.libraries.ngc4lib/4617
14:47:58 [jodi]
here was the VIAF link in that email: http://outgoing.typepad.com/outgoing/2009/09/viaf-as-linked-data.html
14:48:10 [michaelp]
ACTION: Alexander populated the template for VIAF UC http://outgoing.typepad.com/outgoing/2009/09/viaf-as-linked-data.html
14:48:14 [jodi]
sure :)
14:48:15 [antoine]
s/LIBIS/LIBRIS
14:48:36 [michaelp]
s/populated/to populate/
14:48:51 [dlukose]
great...
14:48:59 [jeff_]
I can help with VIAF UC
14:49:10 [AlexanderH]
great
14:50:08 [antoine]
-> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCases#Poll_for_volunteers
14:50:14 [michaelp]
Antoine: I have started an informal poll for volunteers on the wiki.
14:50:34 [michaelp]
... either as contributor of UCs or as curator of UCs contributed by others.
14:51:21 [michaelp]
... The choice btween the approaches will be guided by how many people sign up for each.
14:51:33 [michaelp]
s/btween/between/
14:51:56 [michaelp]
Topic: Topics
14:52:08 [antoine]
-> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics
14:52:42 [michaelp]
ACTION: ALL: Edit the topics for our work at the wiki: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action02]
14:52:47 [michaelp]
--continues
14:53:30 [michaelp]
Antoine: Anybody who wants to curate the topics list?
14:53:40 [michaelp]
Stu: Very important, very difficult.
14:54:05 [michaelp]
... What sort of curation do you expect?
14:54:20 [jneubert]
+q to ask about the difference between "Describing library and museum authorities as Linked Data" and "Describing library and museum KOS Resources as Linked Data"
14:54:43 [michaelp]
Antoine: I like us to be sure of general categories of topics/issues.
14:55:04 [michaelp]
Stu: First pass: Make categories abstract and coherent?
14:56:31 [michaelp]
Stu: I think we should ask Karen.
14:56:42 [marcia]
+1
14:56:43 [matolat]
+1 asking Karen
14:57:34 [michaelp]
ACTION: Antoine to ask Karen Coyle to start curating topics list.
14:57:56 [Zakim]
jneubert, you wanted to ask about the difference between "Describing library and museum authorities as Linked Data" and "Describing library and museum KOS Resources as Linked Data"
14:58:08 [michaelp]
zakim, ack jneubert
14:58:09 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
14:58:18 [michaelp]
q+
14:58:47 [michaelp]
zakim, ack michaelp
14:58:47 [Zakim]
unmuting michaelp
14:58:49 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
14:58:52 [marcia]
agree
14:59:26 [michaelp]
Joachim: Difference between "authorities" and "KOS resources"
14:59:42 [marcia]
overlapping
14:59:50 [michaelp]
... name authority files mentioned in both topics
14:59:53 [TomB_]
TomB_ has joined #lld
15:00:01 [marcia]
but authorities mustly were referred to name -related
15:00:08 [marcia]
not concept schemes
15:00:14 [michaelp]
Topic: Demos
15:00:29 [michaelp]
Antoine: Lead by Karen
15:00:38 [michaelp]
Topic: Technology and best practices
15:00:59 [michaelp]
Antoine: Assessment of technology pieces and vocabularies is on the list of deliverables.
15:01:30 [michaelp]
... I hope the we now are more inline with respect to this document.
15:01:48 [michaelp]
Topic: Other topics
15:02:23 [michaelp]
Antoine: Community building and outreach could be dormant for the moment.
15:02:25 [kcoyle]
kcoyle has joined #lld
15:02:57 [michaelp]
Antoine: Events that members attending or presenting at
15:04:09 [michaelp]
... My proposal is to create a section on the wiki for these events.
15:04:13 [marcia]
Linked Library Data Un-Meeting @ ALA Annual Friday, June 25, 2010, 9am-12pm Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, Regency A room
15:04:16 [jodi]
+1 to events section
15:04:21 [marcia]
Karan's
15:05:03 [marcia]
+1 mp's event section on the wiki
15:05:40 [michaelp]
Antoine: Groups life and processes: please send feedback to the group about topics you would like us to focus on.
15:05:57 [michaelp]
[adjourned]
15:06:08 [michaelp]
zakim, list attendees
15:06:08 [Zakim]
As of this point the attendees have been antoine, +1.614.764.aaaa, +1.614.764.aabb, michaelp, +03315379aacc, emma, jeff_, +1.856.528.aadd, jodi, AlexanderH, matolat,
15:06:12 [Zakim]
... +1.330.655.aaee, marcia, +39.714.8.aaff, bernard, +49.173.609.aagg, jneubert, GordonD, stu, +016261aahh, dlukose, +35937aaii, fumi
15:06:17 [bernard]
bye
15:06:19 [jodi]
thanks! bye!
15:06:19 [Zakim]
-matolat
15:06:21 [Zakim]
-jeff_
15:06:22 [fumi]
bye
15:06:25 [jneubert]
bye
15:06:26 [Zakim]
-stu
15:06:27 [Zakim]
-jodi
15:06:28 [Zakim]
-fumi
15:06:29 [GordonD]
zakim, bye
15:06:29 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #lld
15:06:29 [Zakim]
-bernard
15:06:29 [jodi]
jodi has left #LLD
15:06:30 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees were antoine, +1.614.764.aaaa, +1.614.764.aabb, michaelp, +03315379aacc, emma, jeff_, +1.856.528.aadd, jodi, AlexanderH, matolat,
15:06:31 [matolat]
bye
15:06:33 [Zakim]
... +1.330.655.aaee, marcia, +39.714.8.aaff, bernard, +49.173.609.aagg, jneubert, GordonD, stu, +016261aahh, dlukose, +35937aaii, fumi
15:07:19 [antoine]
rrsagent, please draft minutes
15:07:19 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-minutes.html antoine
15:10:23 [antoine]
zakim, bye
15:10:38 [antoine]
rrsagent, bye
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
I see 8 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-actions.rdf :
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Introductions [1]
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-irc#T14-11-52
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: All group members should please post an introduction to http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minutes.html#action01] [2]
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-irc#T14-12-08
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: All group members should please post an introduction to http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minutes.html#action01] [3]
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-irc#T14-12-21
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: ALL: group members please indicate your availability for the proposed F2F meeting in a Doodle poll: http://www.doodle.com/gaipzmfc7xp9f4zq [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minutes.html#action08] [4]
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-irc#T14-14-34
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Stu takes the lead on understanding UC approach better (with help of Emmanuelle) [5]
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-irc#T14-44-58
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Alexander populated the template for VIAF UC http://outgoing.typepad.com/outgoing/2009/09/viaf-as-linked-data.html [6]
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-irc#T14-48-10
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: ALL: Edit the topics for our work at the wiki: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action02] [7]
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-irc#T14-52-42
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Antoine to ask Karen Coyle to start curating topics list. [8]
15:10:38 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-lld-irc#T14-57-34