IRC log of mediafrag on 2010-05-12

Timestamps are in UTC.

08:56:56 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #mediafrag
08:56:56 [RRSAgent]
logging to
08:56:57 [davy]
davy has joined #mediafrag
08:56:58 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
08:56:58 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #mediafrag
08:57:00 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be IA_MFWG
08:57:00 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see IA_MFWG()5:00AM scheduled to start in 3 minutes
08:57:01 [trackbot]
Meeting: Media Fragments Working Group Teleconference
08:57:01 [trackbot]
Date: 12 May 2010
08:57:22 [raphael]
08:57:30 [raphael]
Chair: Erik, Raphael
08:57:35 [raphael]
Regrets: Michael
09:00:51 [erik]
erik has joined #mediafrag
09:01:06 [Zakim]
IA_MFWG()5:00AM has now started
09:01:13 [Zakim]
09:02:06 [Zakim]
+ +0329331aaaa
09:03:10 [davy]
Zakim, aaaa is Erik
09:03:10 [Zakim]
+Erik; got it
09:03:21 [davy]
Zakim, Davy is with Erik
09:03:21 [Zakim]
+Davy; got it
09:06:15 [Zakim]
+ +61.2.801.2.aabb
09:07:12 [Zakim]
09:08:15 [Zakim]
+ +06128012aacc
09:09:55 [silvia]
zakim, mute me
09:09:55 [Zakim]
sorry, silvia, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
09:09:57 [raphael]
Topic: 1. Admin
09:10:05 [silvia]
zakim, aacc is me
09:10:05 [Zakim]
+silvia; got it
09:10:35 [silvia]
zakim, mute me
09:10:35 [Zakim]
silvia should now be muted
09:10:47 [raphael]
Scribe: Davy
09:10:49 [davy]
scribenick: davy
09:11:13 [davy]
Raphael: no full attendance at teleconf :-(
09:11:53 [raphael]
Previous telecon:
09:11:58 [davy]
... if people do not like the decisions we take at the teleconfs, they should discuss this on the mailing list
09:11:58 [raphael]
09:12:02 [raphael]
09:12:08 [silvia]
09:12:09 [davy]
09:12:12 [erik]
09:12:13 [raphael]
+1 for accepting these minutes
09:12:20 [davy]
RESOLUTION: minutes accepted
09:12:32 [raphael]
09:12:32 [trackbot]
ACTION-92 -- Erik Mannens to erik and Raphael to coordinate the writing of papers -- due 2010-04-28 -- OPEN
09:12:32 [trackbot]
09:13:15 [davy]
raphael: some parts of the paper might be a good starting point for uncomplete sections in the spec
09:13:22 [davy]
close action-92
09:13:23 [trackbot]
ACTION-92 Erik and Raphael to coordinate the writing of papers closed
09:13:55 [davy]
raphael: next F2F meeting decision -> postpone it to next week
09:14:22 [davy]
erik: even if we are just with 4 or 5 people and other people on the phone, we should have a meeting
09:15:06 [davy]
RESOLUTION: next F2F meeting will be organized at 15-16 June in Eurecom
09:15:39 [davy]
Action: troncy to provide practical information for the next F2F
09:15:39 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-162 - Provide practical information for the next F2F [on Raphaël Troncy - due 2010-05-19].
09:15:47 [raphael]
Topic: 2. Use Cases and Requirements
09:15:53 [raphael]
09:15:53 [trackbot]
ACTION-156 -- Conrad Parker to add a "bandwidth conservation use case" -- due 2010-03-16 -- OPEN
09:15:53 [trackbot]
09:15:57 [raphael]
Conrad, could you update us on this ?
09:16:13 [silvia]
zakim, unmute me
09:16:13 [Zakim]
silvia should no longer be muted
09:16:33 [silvia]
conrad, are you still there?
09:17:29 [davy]
TOPIC: 3. Specification
09:17:50 [davy]
discussing the editorship policy of the specification
09:20:39 [silvia]
zakim, mute me
09:20:39 [Zakim]
silvia should now be muted
09:21:05 [raphael]
Raphael: curently 2 groups (editors and contributors) while these roles are not really defined by W3C, not consistently used depending on the spec
09:21:24 [raphael]
... Suggest that Silvia and Davy jump to the editors group, they have edited most of the spec
09:22:16 [silvia]
zakim, unmute me
09:22:16 [Zakim]
silvia should no longer be muted
09:22:31 [raphael]
... Suggest to talk with other contributors on the phone regarding their role in the spec (for example, Yves contributed a lot of text some months ago)
09:22:52 [raphael]
... I will apply the changes on the spec
09:24:14 [raphael]
09:24:14 [trackbot]
ACTION-161 -- Silvia Pfeiffer to integrate the test cases into the spec -- due 2010-04-21 -- OPEN
09:24:14 [trackbot]
09:24:39 [davy]
Silvia: waiting for a few issues that are still issues
09:25:06 [davy]
... 1. #t=a,a and a >= 0 (#2)
09:25:26 [davy]
... is an empty fragment
09:25:43 [davy]
... if we send it to the server, we get a 416
09:26:33 [davy]
... question is whether the client should send it to the server or not, since it can detect there will be an error
09:28:41 [davy]
raphael: empty fragment -> UA cannot display anything
09:29:34 [erik]
09:29:50 [raphael]
zakim, ack
09:29:50 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'ack', raphael
09:32:41 [raphael]
Silvia: we need to have a consistent reaction of media fragment aware browsers
09:32:50 [raphael]
... for legacy browsers, they will react as for HTML
09:33:31 [raphael]
Discussion about the empty fragment such as #t=a,a when a>=0
09:34:02 [raphael]
Silvia: the UA still sends a range request and should get back an error 416
09:34:15 [raphael]
Davy: but the UA knows it is a semantic error, why sending a request at all ?
09:36:28 [raphael]
Silvia: the UA could simply do nothing ... irritating, but this is happening with HTML
09:37:16 [raphael]
... the fragment is not interpreted ?
09:37:37 [raphael]
... we could just get the header data of the media file, but stop, not downloading any content !
09:38:51 [raphael]
... for example, a Range Request with an empty fragment and only "include-setup"
09:39:02 [raphael]
... the server sends the header data of the media resource
09:39:24 [raphael]
... with a 206 OK for the header data
09:39:42 [silvia]
zakim, mute me
09:39:42 [Zakim]
silvia should now be muted
09:39:52 [raphael]
s/206 OK/206 Partial Content
09:40:21 [davy]
raphael: we could apply this solution for the three cases
09:40:51 [raphael]
Similar solution for all non-existent or illegal fragments
09:41:16 [raphael]
... see cases detailed at
09:41:55 [davy]
Action: troncy to send a resolution on handling non-existing or illegal fragments to the mailinglist
09:41:55 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-163 - Send a resolution on handling non-existing or illegal fragments to the mailinglist [on Raphaël Troncy - due 2010-05-19].
09:42:26 [davy]
close action-161
09:42:26 [trackbot]
ACTION-161 Integrate the test cases into the spec closed
09:43:58 [raphael]
ACTIOn-154 ?
09:43:58 [trackbot]
ACTION-154 -- Yves Lafon to add a section 5.2.4 describing his new optimization -- due 2010-03-16 -- OPEN
09:43:58 [trackbot]
09:44:13 [silvia]
zakim, unmute me
09:44:13 [Zakim]
silvia should no longer be muted
09:44:15 [raphael]
Raphael: we have described this recipe in the paper and we have the figure
09:45:04 [silvia]
zakim, mute me
09:45:04 [Zakim]
silvia should now be muted
09:46:42 [raphael]
Raphael: I have a plugin for firefox, works with ninsuna with videos already ingested
09:46:51 [raphael]
... will send the version to Davy and Silvia for testing now
09:46:57 [raphael]
... + a readme :-)
09:47:15 [raphael]
Davy: work on making Ninsuna acting as a proxy
09:47:36 [raphael]
Raphael: add a parameter in the proxy to specify a proxy ... so get media fragments URI on any MP4 videos on the web
09:47:58 [raphael]
RESOLUTION: re-allocate ACTION-154 to Davy
09:48:12 [raphael]
09:48:12 [trackbot]
ACTION-123 -- Yves Lafon to come up with ABNF for header syntax -- due 2009-12-09 -- OPEN
09:48:12 [trackbot]
09:48:12 [davy]
09:48:12 [trackbot]
ACTION-123 -- Yves Lafon to come up with ABNF for header syntax -- due 2009-12-09 -- OPEN
09:48:13 [trackbot]
09:48:39 [silvia]
zakim, unmute me
09:48:39 [Zakim]
silvia should no longer be muted
09:49:10 [raphael]
RESOLUTION: re-allocate ACTION-123 to Silvia
09:51:38 [raphael]
Silvia: I think we should go to LC even if all the features are not resolved
09:51:43 [raphael]
... in order to get more feedback
09:52:26 [raphael]
Raphael: agree, f2f meeting mid-June and then LC request end of June
09:52:36 [raphael]
Topic: 4. AOB?
09:53:56 [Zakim]
09:53:58 [Zakim]
09:53:59 [davy]
09:53:59 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate raphael
09:54:01 [Zakim]
09:54:02 [Zakim]
IA_MFWG()5:00AM has ended
09:54:03 [Zakim]
Attendees were raphael, +0329331aaaa, Erik, Davy, +61.2.801.2.aabb, Silvia, +06128012aacc
09:54:41 [davy]
present: raphael, silvia, erik, davy
09:55:00 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate davy
09:55:14 [raphael]
Present: Erik, Davy, Raphael, Silvia
09:55:17 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate raphael
09:56:32 [raphael]
ScribeOptions: -final -noEmbedDiagnostics
09:56:33 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate raphael
10:18:36 [dvdeurse]
dvdeurse has joined #mediafrag
12:18:41 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #mediafrag