See also: IRC log
<trackbot> Date: 06 May 2010
<AllanJ> scribe: greg
As Simon reported in email, a representative from Chrome is willing to participate but has a conflict during our scheduled conference calls.
The Chrome representative is Jonas Klink, who is based out of California.
Discussion of possibility of rescheduling our conference calls to accommodate Jonas.
Jim reports that the HTML5 Accessibility Task Force had a lot of discussion about what user agents do and might do.
Email from Mark and Jim to the task force got a lot of discussion going.
Some people on the task force do not understand the inherent problem of many authors creating custom controls, rather than using standardized controls inherent in the browser.
We need to provide them with good use cases demonstrating the importance of keyboard access.
Kim described speech input users who use assistive technology that does input as a keyboard emulator rather than through an accessibility API.
This approach of keyboard emulation uses of existing knowledge, keeps a common language, etc.
W3 is holding a brainstorming session where papers are presented and discussed. One is coming up on keyboard access, and Judy Brewer suggested WAI being involved.
Kim submitted a proposal to present on real-world use cases.
These would be centered around speech input users.
The topic of the meeting is "W3C Workshop on conversational applications, use cases and requirements for new models of human language to support mobile conversational systems".
<AllanJ> W3C Workshop on Conversational Applications http://www.w3.org/2010/02/convapps/cfp
There is also another workshop coming up on augmented reality.
<kford> Wow! Can I have that one?
Simon reports that Jonas Klink of Chrome will join our conference call on May 20.
<kford> /me Simon ask him if the AT support update is out by chance?
<kford> Agend item next week, prep for Chrome visit on 5/20.
<AllanJ> related to action-338
<AllanJ> also related to action-345
Simon says it was ACTION-345 which refers to the original number of 3.3.2
<AllanJ> gl: what is the plan for moving forward on this
<mhakkinen> ,y mute button is broke
<mhakkinen> touch screen phone
Simon notes there were many responses on the survey and in email.
Decision was made in April to move 3.3.2 to 4.7; now Simon's is a draft rewrite.
<AllanJ> discussion of ANSI and ISO, 4.7.x is unique, the concept it represents does not exist in ANSI, ISO
Greg noted that this is an example of something new, with no equivalents in ISO 9241-171 and ANSI 200.2.
Simon notes the person in charge of interaction domain says decentralized accessibility is important and will move forward, contrary to earlier indications.
<kford> Scribe: KFord
Simon: We need to mitigate against this decentralized accessibility is to make relationship explicit to the access technology.
MH: Sounds like a perfect case
... I think ARIA is implied by the fact that the content needs to provide basic role and description info.
... This is either by using an existing element or if you are using somethinng new adding ARIA.
... I agree this needs to be explicit and made clear in the techniques.
JA: Simon it sounds like you are
... Head spinning on implications of some of this.
Simon: I think we need some space in the agenda to brain storm and think about all of this.
JA and JS talking about getting people from this space to talk. JS to take point.
<jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to talk to Dave Raggett and/or PLH about speaking to UAWG on Decentralized Extensibility to help us craft success criteria for this. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-383 - Talk to Dave Raggett and/or PLH about speaking to UAWG on Decentralized Extensibility to help us craft success criteria for this. [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-05-13].
Group talks more about this issue and what it means.
<AllanJ> whatever the author does somehow the roles, states, models, etc must be made explicit to the accessibility api
JA: This seems like XML but people don't want to write XML.
MH: I think back to something we did in daisy. The key is that someone, ideally the origianl author, has to provide human readable labels for this.
<AllanJ> need extensible ARIA
JA: ARIA happens in the browser right?
<AllanJ> the author creates some new tag and behaviour, the author should be made to write aria extension, so the proper information is written to the accessibility API
Group talking more about implications here.
<AllanJ> ACTION: ja to review extensible aria, decentralized extensibility and guidleline 2 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-384 - Review extensible aria, decentralized extensibility and guidleline 2 [on Jim Allan - due 2010-05-13].
zakim agenda ?
JA reminds about syntax to send to list for actions.
<AllanJ> ACTION: Jeanne to add item to survey - simon propose wording for 4.7x (formerly 3.3.2) 4.7.x Location in Hierarchy: The user can view the path of nodes leading [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action03]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-385 - Add item to survey - simon propose wording for 4.7x (formerly 3.3.2) 4.7.x Location in Hierarchy: The user can view the path of nodes leading [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-05-13].
<AllanJ> from the root of any content hierarchy in which the structure and
<AllanJ> semantics are implied by presentation, as opposed to an explicit logical
<AllanJ> structure with defined semantics (such as the HTML5 Canvas Element), or
<AllanJ> as a consequence of decentralized-extensibility (such as the HTML5 item
<AllanJ> / itemprop microdtata elements), and only if the user agent keeps an
<AllanJ> internal model of the hierarchy which it does not expose via the DOM or
<AllanJ> some other accessibility mechanism. (Level A).
<AllanJ> ACTION: jeanne to add item to survey moving 3.3.1 to 4.7y [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action04]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-386 - Add item to survey moving 3.3.1 to 4.7y [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-05-13].
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135 of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20 Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/ Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00) Found Scribe: greg Inferring ScribeNick: Greg Found Scribe: KFord Inferring ScribeNick: kford Scribes: greg, KFord ScribeNicks: Greg, kford Default Present: +1.512.206.aaaa, allanj, +1.425.895.aabb, Greg, sharper, Jeanne, kford, +1.617.325.aacc, kimpatch, mhakkinen Present: Jim Kelly Greg Jeanne Simon Mark Kim Found Date: 06 May 2010 Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html People with action items: ja jeanne WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines. You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]