IRC log of webapps on 2010-04-21

Timestamps are in UTC.

18:00:20 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #webapps
18:00:20 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-webapps-irc
18:00:22 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
18:00:22 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #webapps
18:00:24 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be DOM3
18:00:24 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see IA_WebApps(DOM3)2:00PM scheduled to start now
18:00:25 [trackbot]
Meeting: Web Applications Working Group Teleconference
18:00:25 [trackbot]
Date: 21 April 2010
18:00:33 [shepazu]
Zakim, call shepazu
18:00:33 [Zakim]
ok, shepazu; the call is being made
18:00:34 [Zakim]
IA_WebApps(DOM3)2:00PM has now started
18:00:35 [Zakim]
+Shepazu
18:00:54 [smaug]
just a minute
18:03:22 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
18:03:27 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
18:03:43 [smaug]
Zakim, [IPcaller] is Olli_Pettay
18:03:43 [Zakim]
+Olli_Pettay; got it
18:03:51 [Travis]
Travis has joined #webapps
18:04:48 [Travis]
scribe: Travis
18:04:52 [Travis]
scribeNick: Travis
18:05:05 [Travis]
Topic: Issues review
18:05:34 [shepazu]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2010AprJun/0031.html
18:05:47 [Travis]
Current editor's draft dated 4/20/2010: http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html
18:06:01 [Travis]
shepazu: Many issues resolved in this draft.
18:06:31 [Travis]
... after review, we will be ready to publish (Working Draft)
18:07:27 [Travis]
... would like to go to LCWD in first two weeks of May.
18:08:12 [Travis]
smaug: I see setCapture still. Looks to have issues...
18:09:00 [shepazu]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#events-event-type-setCapture
18:09:01 [Travis]
Topic: set/releaseCapture.
18:10:53 [Travis]
smaug: Recommend not taking these for D3E -- many unresolved issues...
18:11:57 [Travis]
shepazu: [discusses possible use cases]
18:14:20 [Travis]
I am also in favor of postponing this to a future spec.
18:15:05 [Travis]
... many of the use-cases can be handled via the capture phase of the event model. Granted, capturing events over an iframe is not possible, however, we have had known security exploits as a result of this feature in IE.
18:17:51 [Travis]
Topic: magnify reference misleading?
18:18:16 [Travis]
We all resolve to remove it because it might lead folks to think that it's spec'd somewhere...
18:18:22 [Travis]
shepazu: OK. removed.
18:19:43 [Travis]
Topic: trusted/untrusted events?
18:19:54 [Travis]
shepazu: I think we've already resolved this...
18:20:52 [Travis]
Topic: FocusEvent relatedTarget
18:21:14 [Travis]
Speced as the eventTarget recieveing focus...
18:21:44 [shepazu]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#event-type-focus
18:24:58 [Travis]
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
18:24:58 [Travis]
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
18:24:58 [Travis]
<head>
18:24:58 [Travis]
<title>Untitled Page</title>
18:24:58 [Travis]
</head>
18:25:00 [Travis]
<body>
18:25:02 [Travis]
<form>
18:25:04 [Travis]
<input id="myCheck" name="checky" type="checkbox" />
18:25:06 [Travis]
</form>
18:25:08 [Travis]
<script>
18:25:10 [Travis]
var check = document.getElementById("myCheck");
18:25:12 [Travis]
check.addEventListener('click', function(e)
18:25:14 [Travis]
{
18:25:16 [Travis]
alert('preventing the default action');
18:25:18 [Travis]
e.preventDefault();
18:25:21 [Travis]
}, false);
18:25:22 [Travis]
</script>
18:25:24 [Travis]
</body>
18:25:26 [Travis]
</html>
18:25:50 [Travis]
(That's a sample code that "undoes" the check action after the fact, via preventDefault.)
18:26:06 [Travis]
(This is related to the issue in default actions.)
18:26:18 [Travis]
shepazu: Great. I'll clean this up and keep the wording as-is.
18:28:47 [Travis]
Back to relatedTarget/focus event type...
18:29:10 [Travis]
IE9 is currently reporting the same object for relatedTarget as target. We can adjust this if necessary...
18:29:31 [Travis]
smaug: Yes, I don't see why we need to have them both point to the same place...
18:30:06 [Travis]
shepazu: OK. I'm changing relatedTarget to be 'null' in cases where the relatedTarget and target are the same in the FocusEvent interface.
18:34:49 [Travis]
Topic: Focus event types interaction (Issue 102)
18:37:50 [Travis]
Action: shepazu to coordinate with WAI with issues of focus.
18:37:50 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-529 - Coordinate with WAI with issues of focus. [on Doug Schepers - due 2010-04-28].
18:38:41 [shepazu]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#event-type-wheel
18:47:05 [Travis]
(back to focus/blur topic... I sent the mail re: this topic on Feb 8, 2010, but it may have been rejected from www-dom. I just resent it to www-archive.
18:47:47 [Travis]
Topic: wheel event, button value
18:49:17 [Travis]
Firefox: it appears to be 0 (which is the default when no value is assigned)
18:49:37 [Travis]
Opera: seems kinda random 0's, 1's, and 2's reported...
18:49:52 [Travis]
shepazu: Should there be an associated button?
18:50:31 [Travis]
I like just having button and 'buttons' be zero.
18:50:35 [Travis]
smaug: me too.
18:50:38 [Travis]
shepazu: OK. Done.
19:00:43 [shepazu]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#keyset-DeadKeys
19:01:02 [Travis]
Topic: dead key values during composition
19:02:51 [shepazu]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#key-values
19:02:57 [Travis]
shepazu: Simple resolves...
19:03:16 [Travis]
Topic: JavaScript escaped characters
19:04:54 [Travis]
All the issues listed seem more like a Note than an issue.
19:04:58 [Travis]
shepazu: Agree.
19:06:32 [Travis]
Might even get its own section, a la "Considerations for key values in other language bindings"?
19:06:47 [Travis]
shepazu: Do we need to worry about C/Java interactions?
19:07:17 [Travis]
... the implementation will just need to handle it.
19:08:36 [Travis]
... I'm going to convert these to notes.
19:08:49 [Travis]
shepazu: I think that's the last major issue!
19:09:58 [Travis]
smaug: When the draft is updated, and before publication, please send out a mail.
19:25:36 [Zakim]
-Olli_Pettay
19:25:38 [Zakim]
-[Microsoft]
19:25:38 [Zakim]
-Shepazu
19:25:39 [Zakim]
IA_WebApps(DOM3)2:00PM has ended
19:25:41 [Zakim]
Attendees were Shepazu, [Microsoft], Olli_Pettay
19:27:12 [shepazu]
trackbot, end telcon
19:27:12 [trackbot]
Zakim, list attendees
19:27:12 [Zakim]
sorry, trackbot, I don't know what conference this is
19:27:13 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, please draft minutes
19:27:13 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-webapps-minutes.html trackbot
19:27:14 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, bye
19:27:14 [RRSAgent]
I see 1 open action item saved in http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-webapps-actions.rdf :
19:27:14 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: shepazu to coordinate with WAI with issues of focus. [1]
19:27:14 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-webapps-irc#T18-37-50