IRC log of core on 2010-04-21

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:07:56 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #core
16:07:56 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-core-irc
16:08:08 [aphillip]
RRSAgent, set logs world-visible
16:08:15 [aphillip]
zakim, this will be I18N
16:08:15 [Zakim]
ok, aphillip; I see I18N_CoreWG()12:30PM scheduled to start in 22 minutes
16:08:26 [aphillip]
Meeting: Internationalization Core Teleconference
16:08:34 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
16:08:37 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: aphillip
16:08:51 [aphillip]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2010Apr/0005.html
16:09:00 [aphillip]
RRSAgent, make minutes
16:09:00 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-core-minutes.html aphillip
16:26:33 [fsasaki]
fsasaki has joined #core
16:27:11 [r12a]
r12a has joined #core
16:28:43 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()12:30PM has now started
16:28:50 [Zakim]
+Addison_Phillips
16:30:05 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard please
16:30:05 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
16:30:06 [Zakim]
+Richard
16:31:03 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
16:31:22 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
16:32:12 [Norbert]
Norbert has joined #core
16:32:48 [Zakim]
+ +1.408.349.aaaa
16:36:03 [aphillip]
Regrets: David
16:36:28 [aphillip]
Topic: Minutes and Agenda review
16:37:46 [aphillip]
ACTION: addison: invite Mark to participate in the calendaring call with an explanatory email
16:37:59 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
16:38:33 [aphillip]
Aharon: send to our mail list list of issues ready for HTML-WG and list of issues to address in our document
16:38:54 [aphillip]
richard: aharon sent me a list that was not complete but partial... let's discuss later
16:38:59 [aphillip]
DONE
16:39:21 [aphillip]
addison: prepare blurb on -u- extension for i18n homepage
16:39:24 [aphillip]
not done
16:39:45 [aphillip]
Norbert: respond to DAP WG with a more comprehensive description of the problem of converting calendars and invite further conversation (shared telecon ??)
16:39:46 [aphillip]
DONE
16:39:55 [aphillip]
ichard: write to html-wg expressing support for editor's changes and pointing out the oversight in description of <meta> C-L's structure
16:39:58 [aphillip]
DONE
16:40:12 [aphillip]
Topic: Info Share
16:40:39 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/tests-html-css/list-encoding-html-css
16:40:48 [aphillip]
richard: set of new tests (see above link)
16:40:51 [aphillip]
... for character encodings
16:40:55 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/tests-html-css/list-language
16:41:06 [aphillip]
... and a list of rewritten tests for language delcarations
16:41:14 [aphillip]
... now includes tests for empty language value
16:41:25 [aphillip]
... could be useful in our discussions with Leif et al
16:41:51 [aphillip]
... IE and FF override properly, while Safari et al do not
16:42:14 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/tests-html-css/tests-language-declarations/results-language-declarations
16:42:15 [aphillip]
... results for all of the major browsers
16:42:26 [aphillip]
... tests now include HTML5 and XHTML5
16:42:39 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/tests-html-css/tests-character-encoding/results-html-encoding-basic
16:43:04 [aphillip]
Topic: Issue-88 response
16:43:18 [aphillip]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Apr/0308.html
16:43:39 [r12a]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Apr/0308.html
16:51:29 [aphillip]
ACTION: addison: write email to public-html endorsing richard's response (and IanH's proposal deprecating Content-Language) as the WG position
16:51:51 [aphillip]
Topic: Bidi WG Note progress
16:52:53 [aphillip]
richard: has done appreciable work on a list of issues for HTML
16:53:35 [aphillip]
... maybe we should just have notes in the document
16:53:41 [aphillip]
... instead of a list
16:55:06 [aphillip]
addison to ping Aharon for status update
16:56:28 [aphillip]
Topic: Date input in HTML5
16:56:37 [aphillip]
addison recognizes David Clarke's email
16:57:04 [aphillip]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2010Apr/0004.html
16:57:14 [aphillip]
add to agenda for next week
16:57:39 [aphillip]
Topic: encoding tutorial
16:57:47 [aphillip]
richard: working on it again
16:58:09 [aphillip]
... working on tests has helped me get a handle on what is supported, etc.
16:58:20 [aphillip]
... one thing I'm going to say, I think are....
16:58:29 [aphillip]
... the BOM works and HTML5 allows it to work
16:58:46 [aphillip]
... and it takes precendence (I will say also declare for usability)
16:59:02 [aphillip]
... I will wind down significance of avoiding BOM
17:00:24 [aphillip]
addison: maybe deemphasize, but don't eliminate recommendation against BOM?
17:02:29 [aphillip]
richard: another thing that will change is emphasis on avoiding xml document declaration
17:02:43 [aphillip]
... only legacy browsers are a problem here (IE 6 basically)
17:02:51 [aphillip]
... so level of worry not that high any more
17:03:07 [aphillip]
norbert: but yahoo finds that's not quite true yet
17:04:28 [najib]
najib has joined #core
17:07:34 [aphillip]
richard: already took out section on quirks mode
17:07:41 [aphillip]
... reduced to just a couple of paragraphs
17:09:04 [aphillip]
richard: will send out pretty soon for review
17:10:11 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
17:10:53 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-core-minutes.html aphillip
17:10:54 [Zakim]
-Norbert
17:10:57 [Zakim]
-aphillip
17:10:59 [Zakim]
-andrewc
17:11:00 [Zakim]
-Felix
17:11:05 [Zakim]
-Richard
17:11:06 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()12:30PM has ended
17:11:08 [Zakim]
Attendees were aphillip, Richard, [IPcaller], Felix, andrewc, +1.408.349.aaaa, Norbert
17:11:17 [aphillip]
zakim, bye
17:11:17 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #core
17:11:24 [aphillip]
RRSAgent, makei minutes
17:11:24 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'makei minutes', aphillip. Try /msg RRSAgent help
17:11:31 [aphillip]
RRSAgent, make minutes
17:11:31 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-core-minutes.html aphillip
17:11:39 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
17:11:39 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-core-actions.rdf :
17:11:39 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: invite Mark to participate in the calendaring call with an explanatory email [1]
17:11:39 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-core-irc#T16-37-46
17:11:39 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: write email to public-html endorsing richard's response (and IanH's proposal deprecating Content-Language) as the WG position [2]
17:11:39 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-core-irc#T16-51-29